60 replies to this topic

#31 petenka

petenka

The Chosen One

• 911 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:13 AM

I solved everyone but the last two.
Critical timing and impossible...
They're definitely possible, just really really difficult.

#32 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• Retired Staff
  • 15413 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:24 AM

I solved everyone but the last two.
Critical timing and impossible...
They're definitely possible, just really really difficult.

Left ball, catapult, into top door, but not directly. it needs to be delayed somehow
Middle ball, ramp + jump to middle door
right ball, freefall + bank shot into bottom door.
Free standing objects can help tweak the direction, slow down of accelerate the ball, say to just force it to make it to or to stay on the ledge

Impossible... Left ball into basket under neath, needs hanging structures
right ball into basket in room on the left. Need cataput took me ages to make th ball bounce off right after catapult
bottom ball, a simple ramp

Edited by icuurd12b42, 29 September 2010 - 03:30 AM.

#33 Maarten Baert

Maarten Baert

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 738 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

Left ball, catapult, into top door, but not directly. it needs to be delayed somehow
Middle ball, ramp + jump to middle door
right ball, freefall + bank shot into bottom door.
Free standing objects can help tweak the direction, slow down of accelerate the ball, say to just force it to make it to or to stay on the ledge

Funny, that's not what I did at all :P. I used
left ball -> bottom door
middle ball -> middle door
right ball -> top door
and I added some beams to delay the middle ball, and lots of beams to delay the right ball.

#34 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• Retired Staff
  • 15413 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Funny, that's not what I did at all :P. I used
left ball -> bottom door
middle ball -> middle door
right ball -> top door
and I added some beams to delay the middle ball, and lots of beams to delay the right ball.

My original attempt was like that... I just could not position things properly. So I thought the logical evident method your say here was a trap solution.

#35 petenka

petenka

The Chosen One

• 911 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

I won teh game =D
Definitely tricky to beat but now that I've done the hard levels the easy ones seem, well, easy.

#36 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6800 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

I've played this a few time and I'm more amazed each time. Your physics engine (extreme_physics) is fantastic. This really should get more attention.

#37 Qon

Qon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

Soooo easy, the challange is doing what I do, mastering the maps ;D
I'm going to show you a video just how much I pwn ya all!
Teaser (not writing all of them):
0 parts: Elevator,
1 part: Go up, Minimal, Frozen Item, Lol u died.
2 parts: Items, Frozen Motor, Spring, Vertical catapult, Critical Timing.
3 parts: Catapult
other: 5 part Very long bridge, 4 part Timing, 8 part impossible
^^ beat that!

(parts = beams)

Edited by Qon, 18 December 2010 - 11:58 AM.

#38 skullnbones

skullnbones

Light Bright

• 104 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:43 PM

Great game! I made it through all the levels: :medieval:

spoiler

It is rare to find a strategy game that allows for so many diverse solutions to each puzzle.

#39 Mysteria9

Mysteria9

Lord of Fishes

• GMC Member
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

This is one of the best puzzle games I've ever seen. I would buy this if it wasn't free! :)
I've had a day off today, and I've done nothing but playing this game (well, I've eaten and walked the dog but nothing more^^) since 1000 this morning. And now I finally beat it! =D It's been a wonderful day ^______^

Edited by Mysteria9, 08 April 2011 - 06:32 PM.

#40 NpN Games

NpN Games

Stupid Evil Genius

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

The error after downloading and running the ZIP:
!   D:\Downloads\the-machine.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

#41 poetkathi

poetkathi

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 831 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

This is a great puzzle game. Haven't made it past the first level yet but it will be fun and challenging. I can see I'll be spending many hours on this in the future. I also downloaded extreme physics. I can think of a number of game ideas where this will be an added bonus. thanks for both.

poetkathi

#42 poetkathi

poetkathi

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 831 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

I've actually managed to get to level six! Doubt my solutions are the easiest or use the fewest pieces but I've solved them. I am looking forward to playing this game to the very end. Excellent game!

When I get time to work on the game ideas where extreme physics will be used, I'll PM you. From what I've seen in the Machine, there are several things I've wanted to do that I'll now be able to do. Thanks for taking the time to make both The Machine and Extreme Physics available to play or use.

poetkathi

#43 tizzio

tizzio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

:Q___ Amazing!

#44 GeordieShore

GeordieShore

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

Is it possible to see the source code for this game Maarten? It would help us massively for our university project.

It is similar in principle: create a course using objects but in our case the ball is launched in a direction that the player chooses to get it into a cup.

Your interface is just what we need as well!

We are pretty much beginners in game maker....

Think angry birds but with the object placement mechanic...

#45 Maarten Baert

Maarten Baert

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 738 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

I don't really mind releasing the source code - in fact I've been thinking about doing this for some time. However, I don't think it's right to use this for a university project. There's nothing wrong with copying code from open source projects (or just figuring out how they work so you can use the same method), but it's not something you should do for a university project, IMO. After all the goal of these projects is to allow students to show what they are capable of. You can use things like scripts or libraries to make your life easier - there's no need to reinvent the wheel - but if your project is about creating a game, you shouldn't be using the source code of another game. I would consider that cheating, even if you're just using the code as reference material.

Besides, if you are indeed a beginner, don't you think a game like this is a bit too complicated for your first game? Creating The Machine was a challenge for me even though I've used GM for many years. Even if you have lots of experience programming in other languages, it will still take a few months just to get familiar with GM and all its weird quirks. I think you should really start with something less complicated.

#46 avidichard

avidichard

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Absolutely ingenious! I love the game, its challenges and the idea. Not too much color but, you made me love Mechano. Very well made.

Down point: When placing an object, you can't go through walls, you need to move arround them which is a bit tiresome but that's minimal, the game and interface is really well made and professional.

Congradulations!

David Richard

#47 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

0 parts: Elevator,
1 part: Go up, Minimal, Frozen Item, Lol u died.
2 parts: Items, Frozen Motor, Spring, Vertical catapult, Critical Timing.
3 parts: Catapult

Let's see:
Elevator: 0 parts? What do you mean 0 parts? 0 parts is leaving the level as it is, which I'm pretty sure doesn't finish the level :P I did it with 4 but I'm sure there's room for less.
Go up: 1 part... go ahead, show that video. That bloody level took me 10 parts.
Minimal: 1 part - of course
Frozen item: 1 part - yep, that one's pretty easy. Just block the way.
Lol u died: 1 part - same here. Also lol u died again - 1 part too./
Items: 2 parts - are you sure you don't mean 3? You really need one part to fill the second gap (first gap is filled with big item), and two to fill the last gap.
Frozen Motor: 2 parts - that's crazy. I did it in 5. I guess you actually used that motor. With 2 parts and motor I get stuck on that static gripping thing.
Spring: 2 parts - 3 here. Maybe it's possible with a lot of work, but I just can't get the ball to bounce harder.
Vertical catapult: 2 parts - Did it with 5. I give up on this one.
Critical timing: 2 parts - Nah that's impossible.
Catapult: 3 parts - Neat. I bet you worked hard at it. I gave up at 4.

Other low-cost levels: More antigravity in 2 parts, more items in 1, another frozen item & motor & antigravity catapult in 1 (but that's easy).

Brilliant game by the way.

Edit: Finally got frozen motor working with 2 parts. Thanks for claiming it's possible.

Edited by ramses12, 14 September 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#48 Qon

Qon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

So I have a vista version .MSWMM file, which is that home movie maker program working file. Too bad I have a XP and a win7 qomputer now so I qant open it. But I have the save file so I qan make a new movie :)
Edit: Now I made a new video. Where should I upload it? Too bad win7 movie maker qan't qrop the video. 3/4th of the image is black from fraps trying to make a full screen video...

Let's see:
Elevator: 0 parts? What do you mean 0 parts? 0 parts is leaving the level as it is, which I'm pretty sure doesn't finish the level :P I did it with 4 but I'm sure there's room for less.

Well 0 parts is possible. 0 parts means that the end screen shows 0 parts used. As simple as that.

Go up: 1 part... go ahead, show that video. That bloody level took me 10 parts.

Well my solution is better, but it's a bit unstable. If you wait too long before you hit "run" it will qollapse xD

Lol u died: 1 part - same here. Also lol u died again - 1 part too./

My LUDA uses 4 parts :Q
Gotta fix it!

Items: 2 parts - are you sure you don't mean 3? You really need one part to fill the second gap (first gap is filled with big item), and two to fill the last gap.

Nah, it is 2 parts. You are doing it wrong q:
Very very wrong :)

Spring: 2 parts - 3 here. Maybe it's possible with a lot of work, but I just can't get the ball to bounce harder.

Nether qould I. My ball basically doesn't bounce At All. But it is still possible.

Vertical catapult: 2 parts - Did it with 5. I give up on this one.

That's just balancing, nothing fancy here. (My other "impossible" solutions are quite fancy)

Critical timing: 2 parts - Nah that's impossible.

Take it back! Very possible, very simple design and very hard to find :)

Catapult: 3 parts - Neat. I bet you worked hard at it. I gave up at 4.

It's neat and simple ;)

Edit: Finally got frozen motor working with 2 parts. Thanks for claiming it's possible.

Glad to help :)

Edited by Qon, 16 September 2012 - 02:25 AM.

#49 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

t>> Now I made a new video. Where should I upload it? Too bad win7 movie maker qan't qrop the video. 3/4th of the image is black from fraps trying to make a full screen video...
Youtube? :P Try VirtualDub, it's a good tool for video editing, way superior to MovieMaker. Also CamStudio might be a solid rival to Fraps. From experience, video recording software tents to differ in behavior from one PC to another.

>> Well 0 parts is possible. 0 parts means that the end screen shows 0 parts used. As simple as that.
Oh, I forgot it was possible to move the anti-gravity item. Now I did it after a lot of moving that thing around. So smooth :)

Still trying on the others.

[Edit]
>> 4 part Timing
Did it now. Old was 5. Really easy but I didn't pay attention to that level before.

>> 5 part Very long bridge
I lack the amount of long parts to do this one. Used 8 little ones. But I guess it's not that hard.

>> 8 part impossible
Doh.

[Edit]
>> Catapult: 3 parts - Neat. I bet you worked hard at it. I gave up at 4.
>> It's neat and simple ;)
Did it. Nothing special, just trying over and over again until a good angle is met.

Edited by ramses12, 16 September 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#50 Nediradesigns

Nediradesigns

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

Absolutely loving this game

I do hope you release the source. I am sure many of us would learn a lot from gamemaker by your example.

#51 Qon

Qon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

My qomputer with the video files has no internet right now. The network qard is malfunctioning.
But i fixed my LUDA so that it uses 1 part. I have to be the worlds best at this so I'm trying to improve some more designs :)
Most of my stuff was done 2 years ago :Q Took a long time for someone to notice my qomment. The fight qontinues ramses q:

#52 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

>> Well my solution is better, but it's a bit unstable. If you wait too long before you hit "run" it will qollapse xD
As far as I know,you can't run the simulation while the parts are moving. Posted Image

>> Nah, it is 2 parts. You are doing it wrong q:
>> Very very wrong :)
My initial plan to approach this was detouring the ball to left, so that it falls on the bottom platform. But as I needed 1 part to bring it back on the road, and the big block + one of the triangles to derail it, crossing the final gap is still not doable with just 1 part and 2 items. Am I still doing it wrong?

What's your score for others?

#53 Qon

Qon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

As far as I know,you can't run the simulation while the parts are moving. Posted Image

That is as far as you know. You need to know further :) It doesn't matter if it moves, as long as it moves slow enough xD.

My initial plan to approach this was detouring the ball to left, so that it falls on the bottom platform. But as I needed 1 part to bring it back on the road, and the big block + one of the triangles to derail it, crossing the final gap is still not doable with just 1 part and 2 items. Am I still doing it wrong?

It is possible to do it like that. My all my qomplex solutions depend on the Qonstruction being unstable (inqlusive) or balanced pixel perfect to eliminate the need of parts. Why use 2 beams when you can have one that moves from location 0 to location 1?
1 beam to get it back on the low platform, 1 to let it qross the gap. Use free wood blocks wisely.

>>What's your score for others?
I've basically mentioned all the qomplex solutions I think? The rest are of qourse just the bare minimum (mostly) but since I thought it was obvious I have the perfect score for those also I didn't mention them.
All solutions in order. 10 on each row.
6 5 4 4 11 1 2 1 1 1
4 1 3 2 2 3 2 3 1 0
1 6 1 2 2 5 1 4 2 8

>>>> 5 part Very long bridge
>>I lack the amount of long parts to do this one. Used 8 little ones. But I guess it's not that hard.
You'll see when I get the video up if it's that simple ;) Though it's not as "impossible" as some others.
And if your solutions were as good as my solutions you wouldn't have any shortage of beams xD

I want more levels!
please? The Machine 2 is demanded by your fans, Maarten!

#54 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

>> Why use 2 beams when you can have one that moves from location 0 to location 1?
I know, that's the only thing I tried. It's just so hard :P * I'll keep trying *

6 5 4 4 11 1 2 1 1 1
4 1 3 2 2 3 2 3 1 0
1 6 1 2 2 5 1 4 2 8

Yeah, pretty much the same here, except for 7 (yet), 15 (I probably have to get a beam to swing the proper way and carry the ball to the target) and most of the hard levels.
Not sure how you did maze in 4, but probably in another way than I did (still 4). Did you get the ball to the Γ platform with 2?
[Edit] Marked in red the ones at which you're ahead of me.

>> And if your solutions were as good as my solutions you wouldn't have any shortage of beams xD
I did some of the red levels with an exaggerated amount of beams... in the easy levels I only used 3 longest ones. I guess I'll try redesigning the long and very long bridges with fewer parts (at the first time of building them, I didn't care too much of numbers, but rather equalizing the amounts, so I assembled lots and lots of little ones).

[Edit] 6 long bridge. Indeed, VLB in 5- doesn't look too easy at the first sight...

>> I want more levels!
I agree! Or at least a level editor...

[Edit] Critical timing: I'm so close it's frustrating...

Edited by ramses12, 26 September 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#55 Nafees

Nafees

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

best game i've EVER played!

#56 Nafees

Nafees

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

How to complete Level 13, Level 21 and level 25? any hint? others are complete till 24. I will soon upload a walk through.

#57 vv3k70r

vv3k70r

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 799 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Great game, brillant idea.

Is there any place to compare solutons?

This have a potential for social gaming for madd cosntructor.

Edited by vv3k70r, 09 March 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#58 Boy Weevil

Boy Weevil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

Needs keyboard based movement and rotation. The way the parts currently flip wildly around the mouse is extremely cumbersome and makes placing them a pain. I feel like I am fighting with the pieces trying to get them where I want them, as grabbing them slightly off center means they are going to rotate when my intention was simply to move the piece, and also vice versa. Heaven forbid I happen to tap the piece against something pre-existing in the level too...goodbye perfect rotation I worked so long for... If you don't want pieces overlapping the default level design, just disallow it. A simple red mask on the sprites would indicate this fine. Basically, DO NOT use physics in the actual planning and building phase. I am surprised no one else has suggested this, frankly.

Also, why not have right mouse delete the pieces? When I did need to get rid of a piece, I found the effort involved was way too much... I had to click delete, click the piece, and then be sure to click delete one more time so as to not accidentally delete a piece (which I did quite often). Deleting a piece could be simply mapped to the right mouse, or at least require the user to select delete once before each piece, with it defaulting back to placement after each deleted piece... this would feel more smooth I think.

Edited by Boy Weevil, 09 March 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#59 vv3k70r

vv3k70r

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 799 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

Controls are good enought, deleting is a bit wild.

Game is great.

Even if it take less then a sunday to go throu all 30 lvl.

If someone need solution:

http://speedy.sh/Pzn...ve-all30lvl.rar

#60 #Pancake

#Pancake

typical aussie

• GMC Member
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

Haha I love this! Been playing it for an hour, great entertainment and an unbiased 10/10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users