• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#1 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

*I will update this very soon. Undergoing story revisions one final time, Jake having dissuaded me from attempting to start off in a shaky new direction.

Introduction:
Hello there! I'm Me the III (bet you couldn't have guessed that). I've had a few years experience with Game Maker now, and I've gotten to the point where I am really wanting to finish a serious project (for fun :P )

I'm creating a TBSRPG game right now, based off of the Fire Emblem Series, but adding my own personal spin on things (such as a prominent overworld map). This project is actually coming along quite smoothly (albeit the end of summer is fast approaching for me) and I'm at a stage where graphic support would really help out.

DEMO:

http://www.mediafire...aj3c8z8ft0pm5es
Includes movement engine, unit display, and saving and loading (and crappy menus :D )

Controls: Mouse works but not wholly, and I'm going to eliminate it. Use W,S,A,D, and space.

I can't pay anybody anything, but I would really appreciate it if somebody would help me out with my request.

What I would like:

*Latest Requests*

Please see units sections

Plain tileset beautifully done by Benjamus. I can't think of anything else I might need. However, if you want to attempt to add tiles, feel free.

Trench tiles (a set of three tiles, I think, meant to look like defenses around the castle?) "Trenches" soldiers might hide in.
Transition tiles: tiles that go from castle floor to grass tile smoothly.

I would actually like tiles to look somewhat in the style of Fire Emblem tiles (not exactly like them, just...resembling them) like the map sprites here:
http://mercenaryligh...emblem-sprites/

3/4 view

Image format .png or .bmp preferably.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another request I have (easier or harder depending on if you know what you're doing)
http://img441.images...fantryunits.gif

The game I am working on is largely based off of Fire Emblem, but with a lot of differences.
However, I still like the graphical style of Fire Emblem. What BENJAMUS sprited for me is a good reference for anybody else if they wish to try.

These sprites must fit in a 16 by 16 tile(the "larger" ones can be bigger, but nothing greater than 18 by 18), and be non-transparent. The sprites I need right now:

Feel free to be creative.

Please use the same colors as used here.The blue palette is what I'm after.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Weapon sprites--
I need weapon icons.

Bows: any kind at all. The kind that shoots arrows. Feel free to be creative. All 16 x 16

So...IMPORTANT: These are "modern" weapons...nor are they medieval weapons. Read the very bottom for a description of the technology that I'm looking for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Cutscenes & Backgrounds & Faces Oh My...--

I would really appreciate somebody translating these into something akin to what jake557 posted on page 4, if possible.
I realize these might seem like vague descriptions? If you need more information, tell me. The name is there to help you picture the character, that's all.

Backgrounds: Size: 368 (Odd, I know, but divisible by 16) by 150.
When I need more I will post more.

--------------Credit System & List (Rough Guide)-------------------

1 Credit per tile/character submitted of decent quality/effort I can't use.
Tiles:3 credit per tile
Character Sprite: 5 credits per character (animated 6 per character)

Character Redo: 5
Conversations Backgrounds: 5

*PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH ME FOR THE CUTSCENES/BACKGROUNDS. I WANT TO MAKE SURE THEY MATCH STYLISTICALLY WITH THE REST OF THE GAME.*

****CREDIT LIST****
BENJAMUS: 578 credits
jake557: 540 credits
beeproductions: 12 credits
nathan m: 20 credits (thanks for being patient with me)
nesto5000: 25 credits
Canite: 22 credits
iwillhazcheezburger: 40 credits skallen640: 16
Eddygp: 26
NinjaCatStudios: 4

If I have made a mistake, let me know (politely, please). Also, if you don't think anything is fair, please, tell me. I'm still trying to work out the kinks in this system.

-----------------Credit Rewards ------------------------
1+: Mention in game credits for giving me your time (I don't care if the tiles are used, you put in time, and that's enough for me)
50+: Game Credits as Minor Contributing Artist
200+: Game Credits as Major Contributing Artist
300+: (Wow, I owe you more than this) NPC in the game named after you (or, if your name is crazy like Prince_Killerman, by you)
500+: Leading Artist in Game Credits
700+: Get to have a character designed for you, including name, class, stats, personality, etc.

If somebody miraculously gets much higher, we will work something out.
Once again, thank you for your time.

Jake has dissuaded me from

Edited by Me the III, 19 January 2011 - 12:24 AM.

I need 16 by 16 sprites, 'cause I'm working on a game...

Fake Link

#2 Exwhyzed

Exwhyzed

The Perfect Pedant

• 656 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:40 PM

I shall try some of these in the near future.
Posted Image

#3 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1322 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:42 AM

a not amazing bridge:D:
Posted Image

col-img1.pngcol-img4.png

bannersig.png

#4 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

Actually, that is kinda of exactly what I'd be going for graphically!

Thank you very much for helping out.(Sorry I didn't reply very quickly, I was out of town)

Anyway, you'll be in the credits (yeah, yeah, "OMG another random GMC user's credits!!!!") for what it's worth.

If anybody else wants to help out, I certainly still need it.

Fake Link

#5 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1322 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

Oh hehe:) thx mate:)

col-img1.pngcol-img4.png

bannersig.png

#6 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

Actually...I hate to say this, but could you, (or somebody else) make this 16 by 16? I didn't catch that until just a bit ago. I'm sorry, but I can't use 28 by 27/8/9 sprites. 32 by 32, I can accept (I'll resize them) but these are not even all the same size. I don't mean to sound harsh, if I do (I'm grateful for any help I get) but I just can't accept these they way they are.

Fake Link

#7 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

I see someone already had an attempt at the bridge, but I thought I'd do it too anyways, but with pixel art. Yes, these are 16x16.
Posted Image
Sample:
Posted Image

If you like these, I can continue to attempt the rest.

#8 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

:o

That's even better than the bridge, earlier, really. Pixel art, and, most importantly, 16 by 16 (no offense beeP). These are really great... you even gave me an option of ruined/new-looking... I would really appreciate you trying the rest. Thank you so much.

Of course, you get credit. No question about it.

Fake Link

#9 jake557

jake557

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

Here's some grass and dirt tiles. Tried to keep the style consistant with Benjamus' bridge tiles.
Posted Image

Edited by jake557, 19 August 2010 - 11:35 PM.

#10 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:47 AM

I see I've been beaten to it yet again, but I did it anyways. I tried to keep it as Fire Emblem-y as I could. Some of the tiles are unfinished, but I'll keep going if you want. I just have the basic grass and cliffs, haven't bothered with pathways or dirt or trees yet.
Posted Image

Sample:
Posted Image

EDIT: do you prefer this water?
Posted Image

Edited by BENJAMUS, 20 August 2010 - 01:08 AM.

#11 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:36 AM

I owe you a lot, BENJAMUS.

And Jake, don't worry. I can use your tiles too (on another map). They are both fantastic.

Jake, I'll add you to the credit list, for what it is worth to you.

BENJAMUS, I prefer the first water for say a river, but you went to the trouble of making a second (seriously, thank you), and I think I could use that as an ocean tile eventually. If you want to keep doing this, by all means do so. I finally got my save/load system working today, and I will start level design soon.
Seriously, thank you guys for your work.

I think I'll start a credit system soon, too, by the way (if you care about such things).

Fake Link

#12 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:22 AM

It's no problem, I've wanted to make one of these games for a while but never got around to figuring out how to program it, so as long as you're doing the programming this is almost just as good :)

I agree about the water. The second one would be more fitting of an ocean/seaside level. But don't feel pressured to use every tile I give you, just use the ones you want.

Also, if you look at the bridge in both samples, you'll see that the bottom one has less contrast. Tell me which you prefer there, too, por favor.

Edited by BENJAMUS, 20 August 2010 - 02:30 AM.

#13 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:30 AM

It's no problem, I've wanted to make one of these games for a while but never got around to figuring out how to program it, so as long as you're doing the programming this is almost just as good :)

Well, I've been working off of TheHateSeed's tutorial on TBSRPGs, but I just about have it down now. (give him the props for figuring it out. I just learned from it...it's an awesome tutorial, really.)
I'm not going to use it until I can say I understand it fully. That wouldn't be right. But, like I said, I pretty much understand it all now, and am about to start coding AI.

But don't feel pressured to use every tile I give you, just use the ones you want.

Haha point taken. I'm still in that mode of "Hey a good spriter! I better be extra-nice or he'll leave!" Don't worry. I like all of what I've gotten so far.

And, I prefer the bridge with more contrast, thanks. Can't believe I didn't notice that difference.

Edited by Me the III, 20 August 2010 - 03:34 AM.

Fake Link

#14 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

Got some more stuff here. Dirt paths, trees, and cliffs. The cliffs are really tricky 9_9
Posted Image

Sample:
Posted Image

#15 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

*claps*

I couldn't ask for better, BENJAMUS. I think they look great.

I'm was thinking had on how to keep a map like this from looking overtly green...I always thought Fire Emblem had the same problem, really.
So, if you do attempt the fort, would you mind adding in a few dilapidated wood tiles to line the fort with? I think that the "brownness" would help to break up the green.

Fake Link

#16 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

Are you thinking of having the fort be little fort tiles on the map, or actually being a tileset? Like, Fire Emblem has fort levels, but also fort spaces in outdoor levels.

EDIT: Been working on more tiles for the cliffs, as well as diagonal pieces for the water cliffs to make it look less square-y.

Sample:
Posted Image

EDIT2: And the beginning of the hills:

Sample:
Posted Image

This is the tileset thus far:
Posted Image

Including cliff edges over water, grass and dirt/sand.

Edited by BENJAMUS, 20 August 2010 - 11:30 PM.

#17 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:30 PM

One thing I never liked about Fire Emblem is the scale. On one hand, they have a tile with 3 trees. On the other, they have a tile with an entire fortress represented on it. It doesn't make sense. I am going to try to make my game different...keep the scale closer on the same maps. This means larger fortresses on outdoor maps (so, yes, I would like little fort tiles on the map) and larger outdoor maps in general to bring the scale down.

The only problem I run into making the outdoor maps too much bigger is the forest tiles. Yours are perfect for this map, don't get me wrong. However, on the "larger" maps, I am going to probably need to have "bigger" trees to match the scale, and have their depth a little higher than everything else, or it will look weird.

For example, in FE, the castle gate is guarded by one guard. Then, you go inside the castle, and suddenly fifty units are inside defending...it's very inconsistent.

So, yes, little fort tiles on the map is what I'd like, if you would, please. I should have made that clearer.

And, your extra little work is perfect again. The "side" tiles in particular look great, and something I found myself wanting as I started designing the map earlier today. I love the "hill" tiles too.

It's really starting to look incredible. Well, it already did, but now, more so.

Edited by Me the III, 20 August 2010 - 11:41 PM.

Fake Link

#18 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:00 AM

Added fortress tiles:
Posted Image

Is that what you wanted?
(Excuse the poor image quality--ImageShack wouldn't upload this so I used TinyPic this time, and it screwed up the quality)

Edited by BENJAMUS, 21 August 2010 - 01:04 AM.

#19 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:02 AM

*Smack* I'm an idiot.

I'm sorry, BENJAMUS.

I love that sprite, but...I meant..a tileset...
by "small fort tiles," I meant small individual fort tiles...and by "actually being a tileset", I thought you meant a whole new tile set.
I'm sorry. That was my mistake. I'll still give you full credit for it (it looks fantastic...but I don't think I'll use it).

I know it's more work. I'm sorry.

It musta sounded weird after you read my post "The one thing I hate about FE is the size inconsistency, and I want to change that, so please make me inconsistent tiles."

Oh well.

Actually...I might use it in cutscenes...or as a sprite on the World Map. But, for this, I would really like more individual "tiles."

Again, my mistake, not yours.

Fake Link

#20 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:18 AM

I thought so. Just checking.

It musta sounded weird after you read my post "The one thing I hate about FE is the size inconsistency, and I want to change that, so please make me inconsistent tiles."

My thoughts exactly :P

Although, I wouldn't call it size inconsistency, but more like an iconic style. But it's your call. This way it'll be easier to make a visible wooden floor B-)

EDIT: Alright, I got the indoor tiles, I can mess with them however you want. But are you sure you want to have the interior of a fort showing in an outdoor level like this? I think the scaling is much more wonky this way than it is with the little fortress spaces I have scattered around.

Posted Image

Edited by BENJAMUS, 21 August 2010 - 05:11 AM.

#21 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

First of all, sorry I didn't reply very quickly. I have been busy running myself ragged in a soccer tournament over the weekend :D

Now, about the tiles: I...agree with you. And, haha, I really love that map you created with them.

However...you did give me an idea. An idea that sucks. But it was inspired by an idea before that.
You are right: the scale is odd on that map.

However, on maps with castles and whatnot...I think I will double the scale (I'm going to have to double my room size now anyway to fit my conversation engine).
So, I'll zoom in on the map for the indoor/outdoor battles. But, then, I already said something like this, now that I remember it.

I think the tiles look perfect for the weathered look I asked for...except the contrast. They look a little blurry by comparison to the ridges.

So, now I have a dilemma.

I don't want the fort tiles to be so small...or so large. Huh. I can see it in my head. It looks like...ruins that would fit the size of the tile set. Something like...I GOT IT!

Your little fort tile, times four , cut into quarters. That would be the scale I would be going for on this map.
I hope I make sense? Thanks for being patient.

Fake Link

#22 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:31 AM

So, you'd like a tile like the fort tile I made, but 2x2 tiles large? Is that right?

Edited by BENJAMUS, 24 August 2010 - 05:32 AM.

#23 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1322 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

Regarding to other sheets i'm so curious of how the game will look like..can you give us a screenshot?!:)

The only thing that doesn't fit(in my head) it's the cliffs..How smalll it's the character?

col-img1.pngcol-img4.png

bannersig.png

#24 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, BENJAMUS, I'd say so (can I just call you Ben?). Actually, That's exactly what I'd say. However, keeping it the same size, could you also make tileable walls? For example,

xx
xx

is what I asked for before.

xdx
dnd
xdx

where d is an extra length of wall, and n is nothing, and x is the corner of the wall.
Thanks again.

@beeproductions
I'll post a screenshot in an edit soon.

EDIT:
Posted Image

Remember, this is definitely not final design. I still need to work on the main interface, and the room size will double. And, unfortunately, I found out that the engine currently has a bug that neither I or it's designer can seem to pinpoint yet, so I'm going to rework my version of the engine to hold data more efficiently and cheat that bug at the same time. So, there's a silver lining in there.

EDIT 2: Also, the characters there are just placeholders. They aren't the greatest they could be (FE characters are much smaller in scale (2-3 pixels is a lot in 16 by 16, if you don't know it), but I don't have the skill to really make things much smaller).

Edited by Me the III, 24 August 2010 - 02:25 PM.

Fake Link

#25 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

can I just call you Ben?

I serpose so. It's also not completely necessary to capitalize every letter of Benjamus anyway.

However, keeping it the same size, could you also make tileable walls? For example,

xx
xx

is what I asked for before.

xdx
dnd
xdx

where d is an extra length of wall, and n is nothing, and x is the corner of the wall.
Thanks again.

Yeah, I think I can do that. I'll give it a shot.

Posted Image

Ah, that's looking beautiful. Nice arrow ;)

Also, the characters there are just placeholders. They aren't the greatest they could be (FE characters are much smaller in scale (2-3 pixels is a lot in 16 by 16, if you don't know it), but I don't have the skill to really make things much smaller).

I was actually thinking of trying out some unit sprites yesterday. Looking at Spriter's Resource, I saw that the units' canvases become a little larger than 16x16 when they're moving. Only when they're still do they have to be completely confined to 16x16.

Speaking of characters, are you going to have battle animations?

Edited by BENJAMUS, 01 October 2011 - 09:30 PM.

#26 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

I would LIKE to have battle animations...but the catch is, I would rather have dozens of classes.

If I could eventually get a sprite for 40+ classes, attacking with their various weapon classes...yes, I would like to have battle animations. Do I think it's likely?...not really. If I do have battle sprites, they certainly won't be the size of the FE games...maybe 32 by 32...the original 16 by 16 sprites with just a bit more detail.

I am not planning on battle sprites until MAYBE a final release if I can get enough artistic support...a questionable feat in itself.

EDIT:

And, yes, I realized that about the unit sprites becoming bigger. I figured that for now, I would be extremely lucky if I could get a stationary sprite for each class first. Animated sprites would be an incredible luxury to me, and worth a lot more credit.

I wasn't planning on asking for unit animation yet, but if anybody wants to try, they are more than welcome.
Animating is harder than actually coming up for names for 40+ classes :D

Edited by Me the III, 24 August 2010 - 09:03 PM.

Fake Link

#27 Ethelon

Ethelon

GM Artist

• 1094 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:37 AM

Well if you make the castle/forts into 2x2 tiles, then the hills might look out of proportion. And as it is, the bridges are WAY out of proportion (First thing that came to my eye). Personally I thought the FE style was fine, but it's your choice. I would also suggest creating a bridge to land tile, to make the transition smoother.

Either way, Ben here's done an awesome job. (I like how 5 of his posts are +1ed)

-Eth

Wanderlust: Rebirth Beta Tester

#28 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

Well if you make the castle/forts into 2x2 tiles, then the hills might look out of proportion.

And a fortress the size of three trees defended by one knight isn't? I know what you mean though...I'm just trying to bring my own touch to the game style.

And as it is, the bridges are WAY out of proportion (First thing that came to my eye). Personally I thought the FE style was fine, but it's your choice. I would also suggest creating a bridge to land tile, to make the transition smoother.

I agree with you there...maybe a wooden bridge outdoor tile might fit better...but I'm happy with what I have for now. Ben's tiles were awesome for an indoor map, and I think that they work okay for an outdoor map. I wouldn't put so many supports under the actual bridge.

On a good note, I "finished" my "New Game" engine. Just have to add a few details to it.
Then, tomorrow, I can work on my "Loading" engine again.
Then, the character stat interface...
Then, I redo my cutscene engine...(changing sizes is about it, really...)

Then, it's AI.

Then, level design!!!

Fake Link

#29 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:04 AM

Well if you make the castle/forts into 2x2 tiles, then the hills might look out of proportion.

In all honesty, in a grid-and-tile-based game like the GBA Fire Emblem games, I can't imagine what it'd look like without being out of proportion.

And as it is, the bridges are WAY out of proportion (First thing that came to my eye).

That's one of the first things that came to my eye too after having made some of these tiles. It's also quite different quality compared to the land tiles. Sharper, lower-res, etc. I kept going back to try to make it more consistent, but the most I ever was able to do was add a touch of purple.

Personally I thought the FE style was fine, but it's your choice.

Yeah, I like how Fire Emblem had each tile represented by something iconic, and still got it to look believable as a scene rather than a grid of spaces. Personally I like having the fort and forest tiles being the same size, but I'm sure, if pulled off right, Me the III's way will work fine too. And plus, it'll look a little more unique if not everything is graphically identical to Fire Emblem.

I would also suggest creating a bridge to land tile, to make the transition smoother.

I thought of this too. I do have some empty spaces in the tileset in odd places that I could fill. But I kinda liked it without them too, though I'm not quite sure why.

Either way, Ben here's done an awesome job. (I like how 5 of his posts are +1ed)

Why danke

-Eth

-Ben

Edited by BENJAMUS, 01 October 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#30 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

In all honesty, in a grid-and-tile-based game like the GBA Fire Emblem games, I can't imagine what it'd look like without being out of proportion.

I'm not quite understanding you (you're either defending me, or telling me you can't get it?)

If the case is the latter...or the former, for non-believers...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SByROK6VvvA

At 4:13, a castle crops up. I was thinking about something along the lines of that castle...except way less intricate. Notice how it large it is in comparison to the hills? It looks believable enough, I think.

Fake Link

#31 Eddygp

Eddygp

Horizhite Games

• GMC Member
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

I was going to post something, but when I saw the tiles of BENJAMUS i gave up...

PS. I prefer the little fortress, where you can enter and changes room. I hope I help.

PPS. Me the III, your arrow is incredible.

PPPS. What about some rocks?

Edited by Eddygp, 26 August 2010 - 03:47 PM.

#32 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

I was going to post something, but when I saw the tiles of BENJAMUS i gave up...

Thanks, man. I am going to add weapon and armor icons to the list soon, and those might be a little easier if you want to give it a try

PS. I prefer the little fortress, where you can enter and changes room. I hope I help.

I'm sorry, but what exactly do you mean by changing rooms?

PPS. Me the III, your arrow is incredible.

Ahhhhhh..darn. The arrow isn't mine. As I said before, I'm working off of TheHateSeed's tutorial...
Now, I understand how he does it, but I'm not going to lie. The arrow is his. I understand how he does it, but that is his work.

PPPS. What about some rocks?

That sounds like a good idea.

Fake Link

#33 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:13 AM

I'm not quite understanding you (you're either defending me, or telling me you can't get it?)

If the case is the latter...or the former, for non-believers...

*clip*

At 4:13, a castle crops up. I was thinking about something along the lines of that castle...except way less intricate. Notice how it large it is in comparison to the hills? It looks believable enough, I think.

More like me just making a useless comment.

It's not like I'll be able to draw the whole game myself, so by all means do whatever you can.

You mean you like the little fortress as an icon on an overworld map or something? In-game, it wouldn't make much sense for you to switch rooms during a battle. It'd kinda screw up the gameplay, I think.

Thanks, man. I am going to add weapon and armor icons to the list soon, and those might be a little easier if you want to give it a try

I really want to try that too :o but I can't take everything...

Now, Me the III, is this sort of what you wanted?
Posted Image

#34 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:41 AM

That, my friend, is EXACTLY the size I wanted. Thank you so much. The only thing I have to ask is that, if you would, sprite the gates closed, and a little more square/larger?(More imposing, for forts more than 2 x 2 tiles?) I like the current gate too.

Absolutely perfect!

BTW, I'm changing my credit system. You are, without a doubt, a major contributor.

EDIT:
I GOT MY SAVE SYSTEM WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had to share that. I've been working on for about six hours now (stupid little errors....)

BUT I DON'T CARE NOW! IT'S FINISHED!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Me the III, 27 August 2010 - 03:21 AM.

Fake Link

#35 jake557

jake557

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:08 AM

:lol: I'm in the same camp.

@Me the III: Are there any tasks for us lesser spriters? ...Actually nevermind, I'm not all that great at spriting anyway, but if you need any background art, character portraits, or concept art (basically anything that allows for a slightly larger canvas) then that's a lot more my thing.

Good luck with the game, it's looking great.

#36 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:33 AM

@Me the III: Are there any tasks for us lesser spriters? ...Actually nevermind, I'm not all that great at spriting anyway, but if you need any background art, character portraits, or concept art (basically anything that allows for a slightly larger canvas) then that's a lot more my thing.

As a matter of fact, yes. As I already said, if you want to try some easier sprites, I'll post some item icons I need.
If that's not your thing, I DO need something else...

Posted Image

You see...I'm not the best at faces, either. They don't look terrible, but they don't look realistic, or...match.

If you CAN do faces, I'd appreciate a rough translation of these to something more realistic. I'll add it into the first post as well.

Glad to see my topic is gaining momentum!

Edited by Me the III, 27 August 2010 - 04:33 AM.

Fake Link

#37 jake557

jake557

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:56 AM

Here's the first one
Posted Image

It's a pretty big departure from the original style so if you don't like it tell me now before I start doing more. Also, do they need to be an exact size?

#38 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:17 AM

Dang...that's beautiful. I'm sorry though...I just don't think it fits.

Is there any way you could perhaps not shade as much? (MY fault, full credit given. I said realistic).
So...hmmm...
Brighter, less shading, maybe a little more cartoony. It looks a little grim in contrast to the tilesets.

I'm sorry. I'm logging off after I post this, so please don't expect a reply right away.
Also (thanks for asking), they don't have to be exact size, but close, please.

It is a beautiful sprite, and I'm sorry if this input feels rushed. I hope you feel like trying again (and that that didn't take you too long).

Fake Link

#39 jake557

jake557

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:07 AM

Simplified my original design to fewer colours with sharper shadows:
Posted Image

Redesigned in another style:
Posted Image
(pixel art not something I'm great at)

Edited by jake557, 27 August 2010 - 07:43 AM.

#40 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:19 AM

You know, jake, if you make sketches like the one on the left I might be able to translate them to pixel art more appropriate in context with my other stuff. But when it comes to larger sprites, the less structural work I have to do myself, the better it will likely be. Not true on all occasions, but oftentimes it is. In fact, I think 240x240 is the largest canvas I've worked with in a long time and produced good results.

*clip*
(basically anything that allows for a slightly larger canvas) then that's a lot more my thing.

Larger canvases are one of my weaknesses. I think if we try working together we might get some nice results.

@Me the III: Glad I finally got the fort right ;) I'll fix the gate up. Also, after making them, I realized that the gate tiles that take up two spaces together might not make much sense gameplay-wise. I'm referring to the tiles in red squares in the following images:
Posted Image
Do you want those also, or just the one in the blue square that only takes up one spaces?

Edited by BENJAMUS, 27 August 2010 - 06:20 AM.

#41 jake557

jake557

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:27 AM

You know, jake, if you make sketches like the one on the left I might be able to translate them to pixel art more appropriate in context with my other stuff. But when it comes to larger sprites, the less structural work I have to do myself, the better it will likely be. Not true on all occasions, but oftentimes it is. In fact, I think 240x240 is the largest canvas I've worked with in a long time and produced good results.

Worth a shot, it'll be interesting to see how they turn out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also need backgrounds. For now:
Plains background;
Forest background;

Size: This is tough...I'll say 368 (Odd, I know, but divisible by 16) by 150. That should suffice.

Ahh now this is closer to what I like to work on. Might give these backgrounds a try

Posted Image

Edited by jake557, 27 August 2010 - 01:11 PM.

#42 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

Hey guys.

Simplified my original design to fewer colours with sharper shadows:

Those look great, Jake! That background looks really great as well. Really nice job. I'll give you 35 credits for the lot.

You know, jake, if you make sketches like the one on the left I might be able to translate them to pixel art more appropriate in context with my other stuff.

That sounds great, BENJAMUS. If you have time, that would be really nice. I'd consider it extra, though, so please don't stress yourself to make it happen.

@Me the III: Glad I finally got the fort right ;) I'll fix the gate up. Also, after making them, I realized that the gate tiles that take up two spaces together might not make much sense gameplay-wise. I'm referring to the tiles in red squares in the following images:
Posted Image
Do you want those also, or just the one in the blue square that only takes up one spaces?

Haha...I kinda saved the picture already, and imported into Game Maker backgrounds as 16 by 16 with no separation :P
So, I have both now, and I actually liked the option, playing around with the set last night. If you are going to amend your tileset, I would like both, thanks.

I think that's it. Thanks, everybody.

Edited by Me the III, 27 August 2010 - 02:40 PM.

Fake Link

#43 jake557

jake557

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

It won't let me add any more images to my previous post so i'll have to continue in this one:

Posted Image

#44 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

That looks great. Thanks. I REALLY struggled modeling this guy in PowerPoint...but you did what I wanted to! So...great!

+5 credits.

Fake Link

#45 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1322 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

One thing...Where it's the realism?

The player sprite it's more like a Guliver.Twice bigger then the cliffs,doors,walls..Are you serios?!:)))

Posted Image

col-img1.pngcol-img4.png

bannersig.png

#46 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

One thing...Where it's the realism?

The player sprite it's more like a Guliver.Twice bigger then the cliffs,doors,walls..Are you serios?!:)))

Posted Image

First of all...what's a Guliver? (Do I sound ignorant?) That sprite is a place-holder...

Second of all...you have to play a Fire Emblem game to understand...(not that I'm trying to make a clone)...those units are representations, okay? If I were to have complete realism, the units would be 1 pixel by 1 pixel...and have the 16 by 16s jump to 32s by 32s...not gonna happen. Check out the sprites on the link in my first post, and compare them to the tiles in the same link.

If it works for Fire Emblem, it'll work for me. I'll try to add a small flair (or at least ask Ben to) but I'm fine with how it's turning out.

I know I sounded differently earlier, talking about larger tree tiles and whatnot, and how the scale is odd...but, really, I'm really liking how this is turning out (remember, it's just one map)

As I've started planning maps, I've come to understand the "representation" aspect of Fire Emblem more. However, I still don't think a single man holding a fort is realistic.

Fake Link

#47 jake557

jake557

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

First of all...what's a Guliver? (Do I sound ignorant?) That sprite is a place-holder...

Posted Image

#48 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1322 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:20 PM

Guliver in the land of dwarfs..it's a story?!:)should read some books:).It's about a Explorer that lands into a world full of dwarfs and it's HUGE..

Second.ET game was the worst game ever made depending on some statistics.This mean that you can make a game like et and look good?:).In my oppinion this kind of games are the worst..:)My oppinon..

col-img1.pngcol-img4.png

bannersig.png

#49 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Thanks jake.

Guliver in the land of dwarfs..it's a story?!:)should read some books:).It's about a Explorer that lands into a world full of dwarfs and it's HUGE..

That's ironic...I'm putting the touches on a 35-page book essay at the moment...never heard that fairy tale...

Second.ET game was the worst game ever made depending on some statistics.This mean that you can make a game like et and look good?

That was not what I was saying at all...

.In my oppinion this kind of games are the worst..:)My oppinon..

By this kind of game, do you mean clone (it won't be), or TBSRPGs? Either way, that's your opinion, and why I'm making the game, and you aren't. If you can't give constructive criticism, I'm going to have to ask you to stop posting here (although, responding to you does keep my topic pretty high up on the first page...)

Fake Link

#50 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1322 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

Gosh I hate this kind of argues..You have pissed of on my oppinion.:))Man..if you put this problem like this..(putting your topic hot in the first page)do you think that it's the problem?!:)You think that it's a proud thing..:)?Don't make me prove to you that you are wrong...

I didn't said that it's a clone..gosh..I said I hate this kind of games..with tiny cliffs and big character...It's my oppinion!What's getting you so pissed?:)))

col-img1.pngcol-img4.png

bannersig.png