#1 2Dcube

2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 830 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:14 AM

Enlightenment

"Enlightenment" consists of an infinite number of worlds which are generated based on your input.
Within worlds, you can leave your thoughts, which themselves are portals to new worlds.
You can encounter thoughts left by others, respond to them, make fun of them, think about them or whatever you want.

Controls:
  • Arrow keys - walk, jump
  • Letter keys - type thoughts
  • Enter - leave thought / enter portal
  • Esc - quit
  • F4 - toggle full screen

Play on YoYoGames or Download

What happens with the world depends on you. I don't know what's going to happen. Maybe it'll be interesting, maybe it'll be a mess. Either way I hope to learn something from this test.

Please let me know your thoughts!

---

Update: Please check below (post #10) for details on the new version.

Edited by 2Dcube, 20 August 2010 - 11:27 AM.

gmc_banner_tntbfu.png

#2 LORDOFBORED

LORDOFBORED

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

Looks like "they need to be fed"
Anyways, I don't have time to play this right now, maybe later.

Edited by LORDOFBORED, 09 August 2010 - 08:23 AM.

#3 turgon

turgon

VP Studios

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:37 PM

2Dcube... You have outdone yourself!

This is an outstanding and incredibly innovative idea!

The game's atmosphere really sets the mood; it does, indeed, feel like "enlightenment." It's perfect, and it's like reading other people's minds; not in a manipulative way, but in a good and wholesome, "enlightening" manner.

I can't wait to see the actual game!

#4 CrashingThunder

CrashingThunder

Procrastinator

• GMC Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:30 PM

Really fun and interesting! It was fun to find other people's thoughts and other random stuff on there...like "OMNOMNOMNOMNOM" or "lol play my games" etc. It would be even cooler if you could see other players walking around too.

Starfox TDS! http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=582854&hl=

bannersig.png
My forum game: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=583862 (WAR! - Creative graphics-based forum game)

#5 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:20 AM

This is an interesting concept, but I don't see too much point in this. Still, it's a fun-looking experiment and I spent about fifteen minutes running around looking at levels and generating my own. Are the weird blobby masses completely generated or do you use existing vectors/graphics that you made and scaled to generate? If they're completely generated then...wow.

Also, wouldn't it be easier to draw soft white glows at a very high depth blended to whatever the level's color is rather than using a lighting extension which I believe also supports shadows and other various features? Just curious. Good job with the game-test. As Thunder said, it would be very cool to see others walking around and typing/creating portals in realtime (if it doesn't already--I have no idea if anybody else is in the same world as I am).

#6 2Dcube

2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:18 AM

2Dcube... You have outdone yourself!

This is an outstanding and incredibly innovative idea!

The game's atmosphere really sets the mood; it does, indeed, feel like "enlightenment." It's perfect, and it's like reading other people's minds; not in a manipulative way, but in a good and wholesome, "enlightening" manner.

Thanks, I'm really glad you think so. However the stuff that people post is still rather random and often it's crap (Although I'm happy to see next to no swearwords - yet). That's to be expected, but I want to try and see how I can get more interesting "stories" / chains of messages inside the game.

Are the weird blobby masses completely generated or do you use existing vectors/graphics that you made and scaled to generate? If they're completely generated then...wow.

They're pre made vector graphics actually. I plan to add a lot more variation in terms of shapes and sizes.

Also, wouldn't it be easier to draw soft white glows at a very high depth blended to whatever the level's color is rather than using a lighting extension which I believe also supports shadows and other various features? Just curious. Good job with the game-test. As Thunder said, it would be very cool to see others walking around and typing/creating portals in realtime (if it doesn't already--I have no idea if anybody else is in the same world as I am).

Using just sprites and blend modes... would that work with multiple lights? I'll have to look into that. If I don't need the extension that would be better indeed.

Also, showing others inside the level is technically difficult and requires a constantly updated connection. Although it would be cool it's also difficult to make, maybe even impossible to when a large amount of people plays at the same time..
However I do want to make it easier to discover where people have added new content.

gmc_banner_tntbfu.png

#7 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:35 AM

It's an interesting idea, & it looks/sounds/feels very floaty & "artsy"... love the lighting, music & mood.
*but*...
as a "game" it's very directionless/progressionless & has no goal or purpose...
& it's not clear what benefit making the plants sprout have (I guess it's collecting the lights that allows you to type more letters?)
these things should be clear at startup I think...
(also, it needs to be made clearer at startup that to access other peoples thoughts/levels type the "?")

I think the way you've implemented the concept is ok but will result in mostly very short random gibberish...
there needs to be more of an incentive to keep playing I think...
some kind of reward system maybe for adding text to others worlds?

It is "interesting".
Have you ever tried the "YARN" game online?
It's just a few people writing a line of a story at the same time & voting on the actual next line...
this kind of reminds me of that - but the YARN system (tho it's just simple text & people voting) seems like a better way to create "stories" & some kind of meaningful interaction between players.
This game of yours seems much more "random" &... well... lonesome.

I dunno, I'm curious to see how it "grows" & what (if any) changes you make to the design & I think it's a brave attempt to do something different/new...
but I feel that it really needs some kind of sense of achievemnt or progress...
or more likely just a better sense of "community" & interaction with others.
It might help if the start screen displayed a list of the most visited "worlds"? (Then again, that might just result in those worlds being swamped with text...)
Hard to know where to go with it from where it is now.

Best of luck with it anyway :)

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#8 turgon

turgon

VP Studios

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:37 PM

Thanks, I'm really glad you think so. However the stuff that people post is still rather random and often it's crap (Although I'm happy to see next to no swearwords - yet). That's to be expected, but I want to try and see how I can get more interesting "stories" / chains of messages inside the game.

You could easily add a filter to not allow bad words.

Edited by turgon, 10 August 2010 - 10:38 PM.

#9 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

Posted Image
pretty nice engine. I guess my name just brightens up the day huh? I like this more than they need to be fed. But is the purpose of the game solely gonna be random area generation and collection of lights? Love the lighting by the way.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#10 2Dcube

2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 830 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

as a "game" it's very directionless/progressionless & has no goal or purpose...

I agree, however it gave me some good insight in how players behave. The directionlessness should be addressed with the latest demo. Thanks for your feedback Dadio!

Posted Image

Posted Image

What's new?
  • No title screen. You start in a main level from where you can access a couple portals.
  • No free typing. You need to find a word cloud before you can leave your word.
  • A system where popular portals remain and unused ones disappear.

The big differences are you can't just go anywhere in the game, which forces you to follow portals. This makes the game much less random, and focused on a couple (ever branching) "story lines".
The other thing is the word cloud. You will always find one when you reach the end of a string of portals(words), a "sentence", which means you get the opportunity to continue it. Also, in levels where portals already exist there is a small chance you find one as well, meaning you can make a branch in the "story line". Coupled with the system where popular portals remain and unpopular ones disappear this means the players decide the direction of the "story".

It remains to be seen what will happen, (not many people played the new demo yet as I type this), but my goal is to create a collaborative, ever changing story which is interesting enough to play with and revisit.

Edited by 2Dcube, 17 August 2010 - 11:50 AM.

gmc_banner_tntbfu.png

#11 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

It was fun for a few levels......then...well, there is really no point to it, and I had to move on to things that do have, even if it is a facade (spell that right?), a purpose.
I need 16 by 16 sprites, 'cause I'm working on a game...

Fake Link

#12 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1615 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:32 AM

Thanks for the credit ^_^

So this is what you used that script for then, yeah? I must say, it's pretty fun and different. There's a lot of things that can be done with something like this. One possibility is a choose your own adventure story, but with a couple of sentences rather than a whole book. I merely explored a bit and had some fun. I went to "infinity" and had the two portals in it also go to "infinity", so you're stuck in there forever!

What I would love to see come out of this (after enough people play) is a giant word tree of all the explored areas. It could look something like a mind map, or a (text) molecule.

#gmc - It's like that treehouse club you always wanted to join
Hyl2CGB.png

#13 iloveportalz0r

iloveportalz0r

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:46 AM

Someone said this game sucks, therefore their mom sucks. Anything made by 2DCube is awesome by default. :P
Posted Image
I use Posted Image Pro version.
98% of the teenage population has smoked, if you are one of the proud 2% that never will, put this in your sig.
How good are you at GML?
Posted Image

#14 Theisco

Theisco

GMC Member

• 34 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

I found some funny thing:
If you join the world leet, you find a portal named "is teh suxorz". xD

Posted Image

#15 Schyler

Schyler