8-bit Sequencers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PunnumSfa

PunnumSfa

GMC Member

• 215 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:17 AM

I recently took up a project that requires 8-bit music, and all I have is a basic MIDI sequencer. My question here is: Where can I find / What is a good chiptune music maker that can export to a format playable by GameMaker (even if an extension of sorts is required)?
Posted Image
You know you want to click it. It's just sitting there. Waiting.

#2 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

I use FL Studio with magical8bitplugin(google it) for 8bit songs. Then I can export it to mp3,wav,or ogg.

#3 PunnumSfa

PunnumSfa

GMC Member

• 215 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:30 AM

Which one is the smallest in file size/Which is the most beneficial for a larger project?
Posted Image
You know you want to click it. It's just sitting there. Waiting.

#4 Evano

Evano

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 201 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:11 AM

One of the first projects I worked on involved 8 bit stuff and I generally use ModPlug Tracker to compose the songs. And yea, they'll need an extension file thingy to run the file. :) Abit hard to understand at first but after reading a few tutorials and creating basic songs, you get the hang of it :)

#5 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

Which one is the smallest in file size/Which is the most beneficial for a larger project?

Out of those,ogg is the smallest. You need a dll to play them though.

#6 8bit-boy

8bit-boy

GMC Member

• 31 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:58 AM

My link

Here's a short track i made with the 8bitmagical plugin, mixed with another VST.

If anyone wants me to compose music in this style for their game, please let me know.

#7 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Like Evano says you can use 8 bit sound samples and make tracker modules in Mod Plug Tracker or similar tracker programs which can be played using one of many DLL. I suggest GMBassmod.

Or you can use something like FamiTracker which lets you make NES format music which can be played through GM using S-Winamp wrapper and the Winamp plugin NotSoFatso (Winamp itself is not required). My main game project does this.

Both of these methods results in file sizes far smaller than bloaty mp3's or ogg's can ever be and there are other benefits such as being able to read specific channel/instrument/track info from a tracker module as it's playing to synchronize on screen events (for example the screen could subtly flash everytime the drum instrument plays)

Edited by Carnivac, 05 August 2010 - 09:34 AM.