• Version:GM8

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

• Game Name: Cube the Game
  • Category: Adventure Horror / Strategy
  • File Size: 15.5 Mbs
  • GM Version: GM7
  • Vista Compatible: yes
  • Screen Resolution: 800 x 600.
  • Changes Screen Resolution: No, but does appear in scaled full screen (mouse look won't work otherwise)
  • Mulitplayer: no
  • Download Link: http://www.yoyogames...8-cube-the-game
This game doesn't really fit well into any one category so I chose the closest category in description.

Cube the Game is a 3D recreation of the 1997 Canadian horror movie of the same name. You wake up within a room with six doors, ones on each wall, on the ceiling and on the floor. You must make your way through the rooms to escape. But you realize that you are quickly losing your mind, leading to hallucinations. Is anything that you see and hear real? Can you trust anything of it to help? And with 15625 rooms in total, understanding the clues that you gather is essential. The game will only take about 40-45 minutes to play (either you escape in time or spend the rest of your life trapped) and I suggest using headphones so you don't miss any audio clues (preferably in a dark room at night as well). Please see the read me file with the game for the full game description and the key controls.

• Screen shots:
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 newkill

newkill

Silver Sword Games

• GMC Member
  • 1244 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

NICEEE! Loved the movie, I'm playing this right now and I'll give you a small review :)

#3 Seamonster

Seamonster

Meow!

• 743 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

Aw man! That movie is GREAT.
I'll edit when I've played it :D

EDIT:
Okay, played it a bit.
It really need a texture overhaul (It looks horrible in 1680x1050 :(), although the rest was pretty damn nice!
It didn't happen anything for a while which might put off players.
I got into a room and got killed by the spikes and then got a Error in function real (IIRC) in obj_dead.
And you're right that mouse look doesn't work in windowed, maybe something you could look into?
I'll play some more tomorrow :)

Edited by Seamonster, 02 August 2010 - 10:15 PM.

#4 newkill

newkill

Silver Sword Games

• GMC Member
  • 1244 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

When Loading a game :
for object obj_camera:

Error reading real.

Dying, right after the screen fade to black :
for object obj_dead:

Error reading real.

The game was nice, but I was expecting better graphics and more actions.

#5 Ablach Blackrat

Ablach Blackrat

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 1215 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:03 AM

I've fixed the error and re-uploaded to Yoyo Games. The first version with the bug will be available until the virus scanner is done. If it still says version 1 please download from here for now...

http://www.blackrats...be_the_game.zip

The error was caused by a mistake in the loading script. I was trying to load a string as a real number (bloody rookie mistake...I should know better). Weird though that I never once got that error in the last two week of bug testing it. The main thing is that it's fixed (thanks for finding it).

Please re-download if you've already downloaded it once before.

#6 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1865 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

Hey, I just watched those movies last week! What a coinkidink!

So far, I'm unsettled like all crap and have no idea where to go, which means you did well.

Spoiler

#7 Ablach Blackrat

Ablach Blackrat

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 1215 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

Hey, I just watched those movies last week! What a coinkidink!

So far, I'm unsettled like all crap and have no idea where to go, which means you did well.

Exactly what I was going for. I get the feeling only fans of the movies will understand it. I'm hoping I'm wrong though

I've updated the game with some minor changes to make it a little easier:
  • The doors at the edge of the Cube will buzz to let you know you can't go any further
  • The digits on the signs below the doors are grouped so that people can understand what they mean a little better.
  • The final clue has been changed to something simpler.
The previous save files will work with the new version. But that's as easy as I'm going to make it.

#8 Tepi

Tepi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4238 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

Excellent. You've well captured the feeling of the movie! The sound effects did their job very well.

Really frustrating when you just keep going from one cube to the next without knowing whether it's right or wrong. The only things that managed to really scare me though were the unexpected trap rooms. Well I couldn't navigate my way pretty much anywhere, gotta retry later on.

The graphics weren't nearly as good as they could have been (there's no excuse when you only need to draw six faces :P) and the inability to have a full camera pitch are the only cons I can come up. Overall, very nice game.

#9 Qon

Qon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

• Changes Screen Resolution: No, but does appear in scaled full screen (mouse look won't work otherwise)

Qam.dir += (mouse_x-room_width/2) * <a value> 
Qam.zdir = median(Qon.zdir+ (room_height/2-mouse_y)* <a value> ,89,-89)

xt=cos(Qam.dir*pi/180)*cos(Qam.zdir*pi/180)
yt=-sin(Qam.dir*pi/180)*cos(Qam.zdir*pi/180) // - sign here or in set_projection
zt=sin(Qam.zdir*pi/180)

d3d_set_projection_ext(x,y,ze,x+xt,y+yt,ze+zt,0,0,1,90,640/480,1,32000)

display_mouse_set(window_get_x()+window_get_width()/2,window_get_y()+window_get_height()/2)
the last row puts the cursor in the middle if you move around the window, change resolution and go fullscreen ;)

I've tried the game and I got some notes and died once. But it felt like nothing happened. If I don't feel like I'm progressing then why play it? This was the major drawback. If I go from room to room and get 10 notes saying that they are scared and then die once why would I keep playing? I don't see the point of the game. Is it even possible to use a strategy or do you simply win by chance when you have visited exactly 1000 rooms?
Bad camera and movements, the physics qould've been better without any big efforts. Might feel unnecessary but here it was a hindrance.
Use my camera script and a simple engine from the forums if you don't feel like recoding stuff...
The graphics could've been better, when there are like 5 textures and sprites total in the game you don't need to rush it..

Excellent horror atmosphere though. Excellent sounds, excellent effects.

Edited by Qon, 08 January 2011 - 07:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users