• 1452 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:07 AM

Posted Image

v1.0.0

July 30, 2010

Music by Sir Xemic

overview

Follow a fuzzy ninja through 7 different environments across the World of Tribes and liberate the Biomes. Tribe Fuz, native to the Jungle Biome, must fight persecution of Tribe Skin, which has beaten all of the other tribes into submission. As Tribe Fuz builds a massive, pacifying weapon, you will venture into environments, more commonly known as Biomes to the Tribes. Explore with us, my friend, and we will be powerful. Bask in the fruits of victorious labor and prove yourself worthy of Tribe Fuz!

screenshots

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Screenshot 4

download (v1.0.0)

YoYo Games (Play Now enabled)
Box.net
64Digits

release trailer

Watch here!

Edited by iluvfuz, 05 August 2010 - 01:01 AM.

#2 Sin99

Sin99

GMC Member

• 121 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:34 AM

holy ****, this is the best gm game ive seen yet, how on earth did you do this?

anyway, at the risk of sounding like a noob, this is a really good game, nice graphics and solid gameplay,
you'll win the comp for sure!
Halo Reach : If worse comes to worse, use a grenade.

#3 Sin99

Sin99

GMC Member

• 121 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:36 AM

im sorry for the over enthoisastic post, its just that I dont think i can make a game like that in gm, atlest not without dlls and such.
Halo Reach : If worse comes to worse, use a grenade.

#4 Jade

Jade

GMC Member

• 103 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

Like'd the graphics but the game was WAY too hard...
Thinking of what to put in my signature...

#5 Nights of Light

Nights of Light

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:18 AM

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_errandfailure:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

Got that from doing the V.I.P. (May be because it caused a ton of slow-down, and the slow-down triggered it.)

Great game, loved every bit of it! At current I'm up to the Mountainous Biome and all is going well! Presentation of the game is very good, along with the game play. The Fuz Ninja controls were hard to begin with, but after getting used to them they really make this game stand-out. The level design is quite good, and the mini-games are fun (and painful at times). I also like the music, one of those games I don't have to mute. ;) Also glad how this was built not for the novice gamers, gives some intermediate and expert gamers a challenge, which some (most) games lack now-a-days.

Had a lot of fun testing it also, sorry for the huge list of feedback I bombarded you with. :P

Overall well done, a great game to play. Best of luck in the competition!

Andrew

EDIT: Also found that in the Fuzzler mini-game time went abnormally slow as in each second was actually two seconds. It felt very slow, even the movement of the view was slow as well. Just thought I'd let you know.

Edited by Nights of Light, 31 July 2010 - 04:18 AM.

Posted Image
RELEASED: Check out the GMC Topic!
Blog: Approaching Dawn Blog

#6 JAk HAk

JAk HAk

sepius fidelis

• 713 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:41 AM

:(

I suck at this game. The graphics are nice, the music is great, the story works, but it's way too hard. That, and I suck. I really, really wanted to beat that level (Day 3: Imperial) but, after 179 or so deaths, I had to call it quits for the sake of my sanity.

All the best and good luck and such, but the physics are too bouncy, too hard to play with for me. Or, maybe the physics were fine. However, if you're going to require the player to have to learn to deal with janky physics, preferably don't also throw in a bunch of sneaks like disappearing ground and surprise spikes right in the first levels.

Posted Image

#7 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3578 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:40 AM

Agreed with jak about the physics.. for a moment i thought i sucked at it.. ermm... well, maybe i do :P

@MEtchegaray7

gplussignature.png

May this signature be frozen on the old GMC until the end of times. Or YoYo takes it down.

#8 DanRedux

DanRedux

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1404 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:27 AM

I have to say, this game is not getting my vote at all. It's completely polished, great graphics and sound, everything is PERFECT, but the gameplay just feels horrible and plays horrible. It's hard to control, you SOMETIMES jump high, you can barely see the world..

Yeah, great polish, but the game itself sucks.

#9 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:32 AM

Hey guys! Thanks for playing and taking the time to leave a comment! I understand that this game is difficult, and I intend to keep it as such. Still, no level should be back-breaking, so if you think any level is way too hard, don't hold back to say so. I'll be glad to consider accomodating any player's opinions as long as I feel they apply to multiple other players.

As per the comments regarding difficulty, I have softened the first two Biomes a bit to smooth out the difficulty curve and allow plenty of time to work with the controls. I'd think that the Desert Biome is where things begin to get hard, so that's something to look forward to :lol:

Thanks once again, and be sure to try out the demo (all download links updated) if you found the original one too challenging. I wouldn't want to be responsible for anybody's lost sanity :)

Nights of Light, I'm not particularly certain of the topic you're talking about, but it could be lag. Also, the view scrolling was a suggestion by a tester which had disliked the view completely locking onto the player and jumping every time the player moved.

EDIT: I have updated the file once more for a couple more changes as well as ALWAYS jumping at a constant height. Remember that you can always use Z, C, Up, and Down to scan around the player to see your environment a bit more ;)

Edited by iluvfuz, 31 July 2010 - 05:49 AM.

#10 ash47

ash47

O_o

• GMC Member
  • 1347 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:40 AM

I highly dislike it!

I managed to get to day 3 (sigh), I died over 60 times, got sick of dieing, rage quit! It is just too hard, the character doesn't jump the way I'd expect!

You defently put much more effort into graphics then gameplay, your graphics are very well polished, and are among the best done in gamemaker :P Nice work there!

- Ash47
Posted Image

Rate this topic: 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

PRESS IT
\/

#11 Nights of Light

Nights of Light

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:11 AM

Hey guys! Thanks for playing and taking the time to leave a comment! I understand that this game is difficult, and I intend to keep it as such. Still, no level should be back-breaking, so if you think any level is way too hard, don't hold back to say so. I'll be glad to consider accomodating any player's opinions as long as I feel they apply to multiple other players.

As per the comments regarding difficulty, I have softened the first two Biomes a bit to smooth out the difficulty curve and allow plenty of time to work with the controls. I'd think that the Desert Biome is where things begin to get hard, so that's something to look forward to :lol:

Nights of Light, I'm not particularly certain of the topic you're talking about, but it could be lag. Also, the view scrolling was a suggestion by a tester which had disliked the view completely locking onto the player and jumping every time the player moved.

Hmm, the error happened when I experienced a heap of lag (which coincidently happened during the mini-game when the missiles began speeding up - not the first time this has happened). Otherwise I don't really know. Ah okay, perhaps it'd be better off that way then (the scrolling), give the player a sort of unique restraint. But the time throughout the mini-game is lessening at a slower rate than what it should (I was comparing it to the other mini-games and levels). Also downloaded the newer version, will have to test it out later on properly.

Another thing I must mention is that upon turning the music off in the options menu, when returning to the main menu, the music turns back on. Same happens for the Controls, Sound and Fullscreen.

Andrew

EDIT: Ignore the above (music etc.), just figured out that you needed to also press "Save & Exit".

Edited by Nights of Light, 31 July 2010 - 06:45 AM.

Posted Image

#12 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:43 AM

This is a beautifuly produced and made game, iluvfuz. The graphics are just gorgeous and the sound and music are perfect.... (can you feel the BUT coming?)

BUT... I must suck at platform games as I found it ridiculously hard! Why? Becuase in most platform games, the charcter jumps and the moment he lands he can jump again, but in your game he canīt. You jump, land and then have to wait a bit before you can jump again and this means that there is not "rythym" to the jumps, something which is is essential in a good platformer (look at Mario and Sonic and how they deal with jumps). Unfortunetely this spoiled it for me and I got really frustrated really quickly... and I donīt think itīs just me!

As you continue to tweak the game I will continue to download and play and comment, so keep fixing things, as I really think this is an incredible looking game and the first real potential winner of the competition...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#13 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3345 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

I really want to try your game, but every time I try to start level 1 (not the prologue), I get an error "Unknown variable glowsize"

#14 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

I'm going on holiday today so won't be able to play this properly for a week or so. I have had a few minutes on the first level though and my first impressions are that the graphics, music and overall presentation are absolutely INCREDIBLE! 110% for effort there :) However, I notice that levels seem a bit claustrophobic with not much room to move around freely in, which can make some encounters with spikes and other dangers pretty difficult.

Very good game overall, definately the best thing submitted to yoyo games so far in this competition. Like I said, I'll have a proper look after my holiday!

2a7ubuv.jpg

#15 Lithium

Lithium

Spitfire Member

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

Way to hard, but it has high potential. Great graphics, just needs the game play worked on. I felt like I was too fast and some parts were hard to get past like tight spots where you drop through took me many attempts to get past and the blocky area in the training I couldn't pass (well I did but it took me a long time).

E1JdWqS.png

FCO now in Alpha testing phase

http://fco2.forumotion.cc/

#16 Kyon

Kyon

Creator of Dirkels

• GMC Member
  • 4247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

I saw your progress on your blog, and I was very excited to play it.
So, now I finally played it, and in the tutorial, it was very awesome and sweet.

Then I started Day 3...

It was super hard, I died 50 times till finish, I was very annoyed.
Then I played the fruit hero level, the beginning was fun, and then, I was almost at the max fruits, and I went game over.
:|

Dude, you made such a beautiful game!
And it is very big, 33 levels!
But man, it's way too hard.
I could only play 2 levels.

If it was a bit easier, it would definitely win, since its beautiful, and very fun.

Kyon E.

EDIT
I decided to play further, and I managed to do the guitar hero level.
Then the level after that, seemed very easy.
I had 50 fruits in no time, but after 50 fruits nothing happened.
I thought I had to wait till time was up, so... I just gather more fruits, I had 57 in the end I think...
But then it said GAME OVER.
:o :o :o

Bug? Or did I have to do something else?
Man, your game looks so incredible awesome, and it IS fun.
But reduce how hard to game is + more explanations in things like day 5.

Edited by Kyon, 31 July 2010 - 01:53 PM.

My name is Kyon Edelenbosch, I Design, Program and Animate.

Learn more about Dirkels at http://kecreations.forumotion.com/

#17 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Nights of Light, hmm, I'm not particularly certain of the problem. I will try to reproduce the error or see if I know what the cause is.

Kyon, I fixed what you were talking about in the collect missions. Originally, you had to collect 50 fruits and reach the exit, but now you only have to collect 50 fruits.
TheSnidr, I tried adding some precautionary code (though I've never seen that error before). It may work if you try again.

Also, it seems a bit that people are mostly having problems with the controls (perhaps the jumping, as Mark was saying) so I added continuous jumping. You can hold down the jump button to continue jumping around (a max of 3 jumps per second) which may help with moving around.

Throughout the time I can reupload this game, I will go through the levels and lessen their difficulty. For now, I want to make the controls a bit easier to learn. After that, I think the difficult will even out, but I agree I need to lessen the beginning levels to compensate. If anybody found it a bit too hard, you might want to try again! Thanks for the comments again. :)

Edited by iluvfuz, 31 July 2010 - 03:58 PM.

#18 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

Great graphic style.

#19 Andrew-M

Andrew-M

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

I got an error on Day 7:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_er2_terraintile:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

#20 JAk HAk

JAk HAk

sepius fidelis

• 713 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:53 AM

The newer version is definitely better. The controls alone (being able to jump right after you land!) help so very much. One thing I was going to suggest last time before my mind was set to "Get mad about level 3 being too hard and forget everything else" mode is that I feel like you should be sent to the next straight away after finishing a level or, instead, be given a screen with the option to CONTINUE to next level, REPLAY this level, or QUIT to main menu like currently does. I can keep track of which level I'm at already, but I would rather not have to. Don't get me wrong: the level selection system works very well, but some extra automation would be appreciated.

Posted Image

#21 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:23 AM

The newer version is definitely better. The controls alone (being able to jump right after you land!) help so very much. One thing I was going to suggest last time before my mind was set to "Get mad about level 3 being too hard and forget everything else" mode is that I feel like you should be sent to the next straight away after finishing a level or, instead, be given a screen with the option to CONTINUE to next level, REPLAY this level, or QUIT to main menu like currently does. I can keep track of which level I'm at already, but I would rather not have to. Don't get me wrong: the level selection system works very well, but some extra automation would be appreciated.

I completely agree with everything JakHak says... Much better (but I still find it difficult) and the level select bugged me too...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#22 killzerslaul

killzerslaul

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

I've been following the progress of this on your blog, so I was looking forward to the release. I can't remember which version I played, but I found the difficulty reasonable, although I didn't play that much. (only up to the fruit collection level)

The graphics are great and the gameplay seems quite good. The biomes and minigames are interesting additions, but I haven't got far enough to see much of those.

Edited by killzerslaul, 01 August 2010 - 10:00 AM.

lies.

#23 ninja_sheep

ninja_sheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

I got a major glitch in the bomb survival. About the 10th time retrying it the bombs weren't getting destroyed after hitting the floor. They continued to fall down destroying the ground as they went, effectively drilling giant tunnels everywhere. This was pretty cool but then I died and when I retried again there was no floor and I just fell to my death every time.
Anyway, so far I'm very impressed with this game, the presentation is excellent, it seems more like a flash game than GM. As for the gameplay it's been nice and varied with different objectives and game modes. Can't really complain about anything except the gameplay is often quite difficult due to the lack of precision in the controls but that was obviously sacrificed to make a cool physics-y character. I'll edit later when I get further.
EDIT: I restarted the game to retry the survival and again the game totally glitched out after several retries. This time it was pretty similar but I was also stuck in a wall and the floor was invisible :wacko:

Edited by ninja_sheep, 01 August 2010 - 02:20 PM.

#24 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

I was surely looking forward to this game's release, as I came across some news about it in your blog.

The controls were ok, slightly irritating at times though.....

I skipped the prologue and went straight to the training. I finished the training and got up to level 3, Day 3:Imperial, it came up with this error message:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_genericcontrol:

Error in code at line 4:

draw_set_alpha(infoalpha)
^
at position 17: Unknown variable infoalpha

Then guess what happened next?

The game started lagging, kept being that way, I exited the game, wondering if there was a scheduled scan running or whether another program was interrupting the game's processes.

Then I found a txt file, named "game_errors", with a whole 2.41 MB size!

I opened it and found literally thousands of errors written in it, I quickly scrolled through it, and realized that there were approximately six different errors written, and all the errors in the txt file related to one thing: unknown variable "...."

Did you check the box next to "Treat uninitialized variables as 0" in your global game settings?

Anyway, I really think this game would come in the top 3, maybe even the first, but to get there, you should polish the game so that it is suited to people trying it, this especially means making it as bug-free as possible.

#25 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

I've updated the game. Hopefully I've fixed many of the bugs, but having never experienced them myself, I can't guarantee it. ;)

Along with bug fixes, I've updated some of the levels as part of my quest to smooth out the difficulty curve. Also, by the request of JAk and Mark, I've added the Continue option after each completion to continue to the following level. Note that, for now, cutscenes will still require you to select the level you want after watching it.

Edited by iluvfuz, 01 August 2010 - 08:11 PM.

#26 jimn346

jimn346

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

I know that you probably don't care, but in the trailer, you wrote "And find out what gives the enemy their power", but "their" should be "its". "Enemy" is singular and "their" is plural.
Posted Image

#27 Nights of Light

Nights of Light

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:59 AM

I know that you probably don't care, but in the trailer, you wrote "And find out what gives the enemy their power", but "their" should be "its". "Enemy" is singular and "their" is plural.

In this case enemy is a collective noun, as it's referring to a group as one thing. So it should be their as it's referring to a group. Correct me if I'm mistaken though.

Andrew

EDIT: Down+X isn't working for some reason. I tried re-downloading but it still doesn't work. Going to download a third time now, hopefully it's just me.

EDIT2: Works, thought it was chrome.

Anyway just a suggestion - make the computer in the tribe pong mini-game a bit.. slower (or dumber). At current you need to spend ages trying to hit the ball on a certain angle so it just about goes vertically for the computer to miss it. Don't have to dumb it down too much, just a tad so the pong game doesn't get ridiculously long and boring. Also I'm glad you removed the roof when playing the fuz volleyball because it got quite annoying trying to return hits.

EDIT3: Ah thanks for clearing that up JAk HAk.

Edited by Nights of Light, 02 August 2010 - 07:31 AM.

Posted Image

#28 JAk HAk

JAk HAk

sepius fidelis

• 713 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:22 AM

I know this is off-topic but I couldn't help but want to contribute: "Enemy" here is a singular group regardless of the number that this group comprises and, as such, ought to be treated like any other singular formation. Specifically, "its" is the proper term and not "their." However, were you to find out what gives the enemies their power, that would be correct.

On topic, these are good changes, iluvfuz. Keep at it.

Posted Image

#29 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

This newer version is more bug-free, well done iluvfuz :D

I got up to Day 4, and, well...................its too hard!

I gathered about 45 fruits when there was only 30 seconds left!

You should decrease, or more-like half, the limit to 90 rather than 180, I mean how many people here have managed to pass this level?

Edited by magma24, 02 August 2010 - 03:27 PM.

#30 abyssaltwilight

abyssaltwilight

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

First impression was spectacular graphics , this impression didnt falter as the play through progressed so great job on the graphics.
On day 3 the games difficulty curve nearly killed the game for me, Im not one to give up easily so I managed to finish, but I went from 0 deaths on day 2 to somewhere around 60ish deaths on day 3. I say (but this is just my opinion) the difficulty curve is way to much. Tone the curve down quite a bit, it says you have 33 levels so thats enough to spread the curve out quite a bit, yet it currently feels like it goes from very easy (tutorial) to uber hard.

Alright the story of the game is good, by good I meant it made sense and I can follow it fairly easily but its not necessarily a writing master piece. Which is not a bad thing, this game seems more arcade-y so I let the lack of impressive story slide and was actually happy with the one you provided.

The engine that you have for this game seems good but the difficulty goes up way to much. Change that and I think your game will probably be a winner :)
Posted Image
My Projects-
Posted Image
Welcome Home- A Top Down Horror Survival Experience
Welcome Home progress- [///////////////]

#31 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the grammatical lesson :lol: I had actually spent a minute pondering the use of "enemy" or "enemies" and decided that they would both be grammatically correct, but with "enemy" being smoother to read.

A few changes in the new version:
- Updated levels: slower enemy in Tribe Pong, reduced number of fruits in Fruit Hero (100), easier levels in the first three Biomes (again :P)
- Better spring collision (so you don't have to be right on it to spring up)
- Higher friction in the player, hopefully meaning easier to control
- Various changes that I made in the last hour but are too forgettable for me to recall into my rather larger-than-life brain--in terms of capacity; although it is perhaps arguable by the unlikely one who possesses greater cranial capacity than I do.

180 fruits in the Fruit Hero minigame meant every fruit collected except for 30 or so missed.

And abyssaltwilight, I realize the story probably isn't written in the most appealing or fantastic way, but I did go rampant on the original 3/4 of a page that fully narrated the story. I know that many players wouldn't bother reading the current ~10 sentence prologue, much less half a page of reading. So, I'm glad that most of it makes some sense to you :) The story is minor in the game, but there are 3 story scenes along with an endgame level that should work somewhat well together. I will definitely keep chipping away at the earlier levels to find ways to make them easier--but I still want some kind of challenge from the start. If any particular spot in a level is killing you over and over again, it would be nice to know, so I can oust what was most likely meant to be a gimmicky setup.

Thank you guys again for your comments, which are all very helpful!

#32 abyssaltwilight

abyssaltwilight

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

No I didnt mean the story isnt appealing, I meant the story isnt huge which is perfect for the kind of game this is and I meant that I liked the story. Im also glad to hear you are working on the difficulty curve keep up the good work.
Posted Image
My Projects-
Posted Image
Welcome Home- A Top Down Horror Survival Experience
Welcome Home progress- [///////////////]

#33 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail

• GMC Member
  • 5900 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

Wow the graphics are truly amazing on this one.

omQasih.jpg

#34 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Congrats on your release fuz and best of luck! I'm scratching my head on these errors; quite curious why they didn't happen to me during testing, or to you for that matter.

Like Horror? Click to play ----> *SONNEILLON*

#35 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

This isn't my kind of game... I tried it and I didn't like it.
First thing I didn't like was that the player was so big and the screen was so small, I just think that when you are only allowed to have a small screen that you should make your character small enough so he doesn't take up too much of the view.
The graphics were amazing, but a little too flashy for me. It gets a bit hard to understand what is going on sometimes.

The hopping thing was too hard for me to do.. it took me many tries to get through that first hole...
I couldn't get past the fruit collecting thing, I'm not much of a quicktimer.

I'm sure many people will like this game, it just doesn't appeal to me. I can tell you've put lots of work into it, and I wish you the best of luck. Sorry if this sounds harsh.

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#36 Gokan Takagashi

Gokan Takagashi

GMC Member

• 292 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:26 AM

WOW! You never told me this was finished! Just played it! Love the changes u made since i last tested! Hope u win the comp!
I've been with GM since 2005, and I've been learning C++ and Java since 2007. My major in college is Computer Science for Game Development.
Visit JamesGames.com Today!

Recently edited, so it looks kind of empty at the moment.

#37 Ethelon

Ethelon

GM Artist

• 1094 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

Once again fuz, great game.

I didn't think it scaled in difficulty that much, and I didn't die as much as some others here xD, but it was pretty difficult to manuever at times. One of my only dislikes.

Props to sir Xemic on the music (forgot to mention him here?), I felt it fit the themes (as far as I've played) perfectly, and didn't distract from the game, but helped create the mood.

Just one of my favorite things is again the initial humor. It makes the game so much better when you have those nonsensical jokes sticking out there that catch you off guard. Makes the game seem more free as well, and less tight on trying to feel "professional" and serious. They're just so juicy!

This game was indeed deliciously fun.
-Eth

Edited by Ethelon, 04 August 2010 - 07:57 PM.

Wanderlust: Rebirth Beta Tester

#38 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:21 AM

Ethelon, thanks for reminding me to add sir Xemic to the topic. I'm glad I'm chose him for the job because of his skill in being able to try out different styles...well. It's good that it helped the game and I felt it did as well--in fact, my favorite one is the really UP-IN-YOUR-FACE piece for the second Errand level in each Biome, called Srsly, if I'm not mistaken. The controls do take some getting used to, so I tried to get in enough of training in the tutorial level. But thanks for the other compliments; do you know what else are juicy? [inserts game-related pun here]

Orange, yeah, as with all games, nobody's really expected to get all of the demographics at once, and the ones that do are usually pretty crappy. I've gotten a few comments saying that the screen area is too small, so there's a chance I might extend the actual view size while keeping the same port resolution, which isn't very agreeable with the graphics, but it's still a possibility. Still, I appreciate you taking the time to give the game a try past the third day :)

Everybody else, thanks for the positive comments. They're not really necessary encouragement-wise, since the game's already finished (except with a few changes in the future), but they're very nice to hear! Posted Image

#39 4th_dimention

4th_dimention

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:47 AM

Hello, I saw you posted in DigBox I am the programmer on that game. I also saw you were making a comp06 game so I checked it out. I gotta say, I am jealous wish I had a soft body engine like this. Very nice, although the game movement is a bit too fast for my taste, and the game play seems claustrophobic to me that's just level design though. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor.

#40 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

Thanks! Also, I just updated the game with more minor changes. I experimented with zooming out the view when moving (which was actually pretty smooth), but my game was already focused on the 480x272 view resolution that it's very difficult to change. When I have more time I'll try to go through the whole game to make it work, but I expect that to be a one or two-hour job--with all of the surface drawing, menus, HUD, etc.

A few new things are that the camera is focused a bit more on the player's y movement, so jumping shouldn't ruin your view without pressing Up to see above and some movement adjustment. Also, I edited the levels to fix a few problems people were having and streamlined them to be a bit more fluid when continuing on from the last level (just came back from playing the first 18 days straight through! I hope that these help a bit when playing. :)

#41 TheMordeus

TheMordeus

The Dark Lady

• GMC Member
  • 1540 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

This game has some really good presentation. It looks good and the music is nice. The gameplay isnt that nice though. At first, its cool bouncing around, but after a while it gets really annoying. I think its somewhat because of the small screen, but 50% of the times you die, it feels like its because the character didnt respond the way you thought he would, and thats such a turnoff. With a bigger screen or a smaller scale to everything, you would have had more time to react and it would probably have worked better then.

I also think you throw too much info at the player in the start. Instead of having all those signs that you read, you should look for an alternative solution to teach the player the basics. It just gets too much and after a while you just ignore them.

Overall its a good game though, mainly cause it has a nice look to it. If you continue work on it, I hope you fix the gameplay mechanics (or expand the screen), as that would make it much more playable.
Posted Image

#42 A saurus1

A saurus1

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 1609 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

Awesome game! Although the screenshots look better than the graphics do in the game, but that's okay. It was really hard, though, especially that first 'errand' level with the bombs. Good job! I hope this wins, or at least places, although what it has to do with discovery is beyond me. But then again, they're rating games mostly on quality, not how close they stick to the theme.

#43 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

Sorry, I hadn't paid attention to this topic for a while.

TheMordeus: I have been tweaking the physics a bit, but nothing major. I've added more friction to slow the player down--which means less rolling. Also, I've spent several hours going through the code to zoom the camera out as the player moves before realizing the game is too optimized for 480x272. The zooming itself works fine, but I honestly can't implement it without redoing half of the game's objects. When I first started out with the game, I was focusing on only making it work for its intended res. So, I'm very sorry that I can't really do much about it. I have, however, changed the camera a bit to react faster, automatically showing more space without manually moving the camera with Z, C, Up, and Down.

One last thing, I've thought myself that the signs were a bit much (I'd want to add more information if I could) so I've removed many of the tutorial signs. I've also added the tutorial messages into automatic messages on the screen, so hopefully it will help with the abundance of signs.

Along with these changes, I will continue to change the game to keep with player's complaints and suggestions. Thanks very much, by the way. How is your game, The Spinner, coming along?

A saurus1: Strangely enough, the screenshots are a direct still from the first version I released. Though I do think myself that the game looks better when you have time to see everything slowly, such as stopping mid-game or taking a picture.

By the way, although this game follows the theme superficially, there is a 3 part story to the game that deals with discovery. Unfortunately, I don't think most players would bother playing the game long enough to see the ending. But thanks for the comment and I'm still making levels a bit easier.