#1 celebraces

celebraces

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 956 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:04 AM

Wipeout Clone 2099
(working title)

Catch a glimpse of racing action almost 80 years into the future with Wipeout Clone 2099.

Features
  • High speed racing action
  • Race against CPU players
  • Take them down with over 8 different weapons
  • Dynamically generated maps
Please note, this is an early release, and not all features have been implemented yet. Also, the name is most likely to change when I've figured out the direction for the game.

Posted Image

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make the race track solid. The track is currently generated from a path at the start of the game. I've tried using surfaces to draw the path in a solid color, invert it and use it as a sprite with collision checking, but this is really slow and I'm thinking there's a better option.

Another thing I'm yet to implement is track banking around corners. I've tried using the direction changes throughout the path to change the angle, but it has mixed results. Any suggestions appreciated!

Download :)

#2 Shining_Saber

Shining_Saber

Top Gundam

• 610 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

As you said, it needs collisions. Another thing I noticed is that the collision for the item box is a little too small. It seems I have to hit it directly in the middle and can't swipe it with the side of my wing or anything. Anyways, great job so far. I love how the ship tilts a little when it turns. :)
Posted Image
Clemson University Pre-Veterinary Science Major!

#3 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hmm, it was okay. It looked very nice from the screenshot but it really didn't feel like WipEout at all. First of all, everything feels a bit too modern still, the roads, building, etc. Also, it lacks hovercraft-like physics, like drifting, tilting, and just flying around at high speeds in general. It would be a bit nicer if there were more sound and visual effects, since it felt deathly quiet when I was playing.

Aside from that, it's a good start. Hopefully you can make it look a bit more futuristic and incandescent and perhaps add some kind of your own physics. I was disappointed when I realized "no collisions" meant no collision with the tilted wall :P

#4 celebraces

celebraces

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 956 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

@Shining_saber: I've jumped up the collision mask for the item boxes for the next version :).

@iluvfuz: I plan to use physics extensively for the ships; but this is really my first proper 3D game so it'll take a little while to make it nice. When you say modern, do you mean the present? Is it not futuristic enough?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take it all into consideration.