#1 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:34 AM

IMPORTANT

This site has now been closed. Please remember that the content from the site may not be redistributed.

Visit my blog to keep up with all of my future projects.

#2 D_Nalsi

D_Nalsi

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

Only read a few pages so far, but my first impression is that the site's layout is really nice, easy to navigate and has nice colors. I'm been trying to make an mmo, and of course it can seem overwhelmingly hard at times, but this resource should be really helpful. Thanks for making it!

edit: unfortunantly I cannot continue as the example is done in GM8.. is there any chance of making a GM7 conversion, as alot of people still use that? Thanks

Edited by D_Nalsi, 20 July 2010 - 08:22 AM.

#3 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

Ah, forgot about GM7 conversions! I'll look into it immediately -- thanks for the feedback.

edit: I've decided not to include GM7 conversions.

Edited by True Valhalla, 01 October 2010 - 10:12 AM.

#4 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

Shouldn't it be "a MMORPG" instead of "an MMORPG"?

Anyway, nice site.

Edited by ramses12, 20 July 2010 - 11:10 AM.

#5 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

Anyway, nice site.

Thank you.

Edited by True Valhalla, 26 December 2010 - 05:04 AM.

#6 Seamonster

Seamonster

Meow!

• 743 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

Can't say the site has a very good design, but it's okay :)
I'll be sure to check out the content as soon as I get time.

#7 quadriseene

quadriseene

Ninja

• 547 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:08 AM

Nope, you use 'an' when preceding an acronym =)

Not quite, 'an' precedes a vowel sound while 'a' precedes a consonant sound. As MMORPG starts with an 'eh' sound, 'an' is appropriate. There are no exceptions to that rule.

Anyway, I reinforce my point made on the MO forums that your colour scheme or lack thereof makes me sad D:

EDIT @ TV'S EDIT: It's anything, not just acronyms.

Edited by quadriseene, 22 July 2010 - 07:42 AM.

#8 twelveways

twelveways

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1383 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:49 AM

Its not an acronym unless you can read it as if it is a word. e.g. RADAR, NATO etc. If MMO was to be read like a word 'Mo' then it would be prefaced with 'a' rather than 'an'.

#9 sabriath

sabriath

• GMC Member
  • 3189 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:55 AM

This post was mainly so that I can keep track of your progress.

colour scheme or lack thereof makes me sad

I actually like a dull color when looking for information...similar to wikipedia. Learning isn't about "yay, trampoline, oo pretty colors...yipee" fun, in learning itself should be exciting enough (and if you don't have the thirst for knowledge, then why are you in programming -- that's just me I guess).

#10 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:57 AM

colour scheme or lack thereof makes me sad

I actually like a dull color when looking for information...similar to wikipedia. Learning isn't about "yay, trampoline, oo pretty colors...yipee" fun, in learning itself should be exciting enough (and if you don't have the thirst for knowledge, then why are you in programming -- that's just me I guess).

I am actually quite content with the 'color scheme' too -- I prefer white and grey shades when reading information.

I'd also like to extend my thanks to Sabriath who has highlighted a few important errors -- I have since fixed these.

Edited by True Valhalla, 30 July 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#11 quadriseene

quadriseene

Ninja

• 547 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

Learning isn't about "yay, trampoline, oo pretty colors...yipee" fun

Hehe, that's not what I meant. I guess what I mean is that the lack of colours coupled with the current layout design makes me sad. I didn't mean you should make it so that it's appealing to three year olds, I meant perhaps it could do with, say, a little splash of low saturation colour rather than looking like a mental hospital. Also, that gradient above the links bothers me. It's unnecessary.

Edited by quadriseene, 22 July 2010 - 07:53 AM.

#12 Darkenblade

Darkenblade

GMC Member

• 94 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

That site was great. I was looking for another 39DLL Tutorial (After I finish Sabriath's). I like how the tutorials are pretty short and easy, and you didn't add unnecessary information that just makes everything longer. The site looks okay up to know, so I'd stay stick with this project and don't give up. Nice work in all.

#13 abyssaltwilight

abyssaltwilight

GMC Member

• 37 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:43 AM

Great site TV. Its amazingly helpful in so many ways. This site can bring people with no knowledge of game maker to mmorpg programmer. Great job I really do like it alot!

#14 snabelost

snabelost

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

This website is great because of 1 thing: It teaches me how to use this dll once and for all. Moastely ive been using examples or prebuilt engines to make everything work but this time it tought me the basics from the start in a matter you can understand. The site is nice to look at, not too muche stuff all about. The text got close to no faults and is easy to read because its split into many sections on every page. The navigation can be made better. I would like drop-dow-menus at the bottom of the pages and a section-menu (I dont quite know the name but a menu with the sections that u press a "+" and expose sub directions).
Great job!

#15 CloudWolf

CloudWolf

GMC Member

• 228 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

VERY good site, however I have picked up on a few flaws.

I noticed a spelling mistake on one of your preparation pages (can't remember which), on top of some inconsistencies.
On http://www.howtomake...processing.html you call the function "event_user()", but in the main text body you refer to it as "USER_EVENT()". This could confuse some people. I haven't checked any further but you might want to check through yourself and make sure that any mistakes are cleaned up.

I think that it might be confusing for someone who is new to game maker. If I didn't already know 39dll, the masses of information you are giving at once could look kinda daunting. Perhaps split it up a bit more on the heavier sections, or organize it into "chapters" so that a user can stop and come back to it at another point.

Also, although it has a lot of useful information in it, the front page reminds me a lot of those "GET A FREE <insert expensive Apple Mac product here>" sites. You might want to change that.

Overall a good site though. Now we know where to send all the GM noobs :P

#16 newkill

newkill

Silver Sword Games

• GMC Member
  • 1244 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

Nice website. Simple and easy to navigate.
I've always wanted to make an online game, but it seems quite a hard programming task :o
I've put your website in my "Favorites" and I'll read it if I ever start creating an online game.

#17 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys, very useful!

#18 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail

• GMC Member
  • 5785 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

Really nice guides.
Great site man, wonderful job.

#19 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

Thanks Mailas, much appreciated.

Updates: I've nearly finished the Login + Registration tutorial and example. The tutorials really take a long time to write when I'm writing for new programmers! I'm thinking I might just code all of the other examples and write the tutorials afterwards.

Thanks for all the support,
-Tv

#20 mrme

mrme

GM Pro

• GMC Member
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

This site will be very useful. Thank you for taking the time to create this site. The advertisements really ruin the neat appearance of the site and it's hard to read a line of text without looking at the advertisement that follows. I would strongly suggest getting rid of the ads on the sides and keeping the ones on the top and bottom.

#21 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

Update:
- Removed text link ads. Too much clutter.
- Added and modified a lot of CSS for improved appearance, especially for ads and the content area.
- Added "Bookmark" button to navigation.
- New page navigation buttons, plus start and home buttons.
- Added Aweber and JustHost affiliate ads (I support and use these, hence the recommendation).
- Fixed an Internet Explorer font error which made my titles look hideous.
- Replaced banner ad with leaderboard in a seperate panel.
- Advertising can now be purchased on the site.

I've still got to tidy up the footer, but I'm open to fresh feedback on the site appearance.

HowToMakeAnMMORPG.com

Edited by True Valhalla, 14 August 2010 - 08:38 AM.

#22 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

It's a nice site, but I don't get your tutorials. Too complicated 0_O

#23 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

It's a nice site, but I don't get your tutorials. Too complicated 0_O

At the moment, they're at a level of complexity where anyone with a decent knowledge of GML will be able to make use of them -- they might take a while to learn, but it is a complicated topic. I do plan to make the tutorials even simpler though, but at the moment I'm just finishing off design aspects.

Thanks for the comment; hopefully you'll find the site more useful when it's finished =)

-Tv

#24 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

Huh? You just told me that knowledge of GML is needed, whereas on the site you say, "Do you want to make an MMORPG? Got an awesome idea, but don't know how to code, or where to start?"

So is GML knowledge needed or not?

#25 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

Huh? You just told me that knowledge of GML is needed, whereas on the site you say, "Do you want to make an MMORPG? Got an awesome idea, but don't know how to code, or where to start?"

So is GML knowledge needed or not?

The site is currently in a beta stage. At this point, the tutorial is not as accessible as it will be, and therefore is only likely to help GML users. Once the site is complete, then it will be at a stage where it should be accessible to non-coders. That's the final goal.

#26 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

I would say steer away from making DnD tutorials for this site. There are already too many "mmorpg"s on the gmc, if they are the programmer, let them learn how to program in the easy to learn language, called GML.

#27 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:15 PM

I'm not planning on making any DnD tutorials. Remember, though, that this site is not aimed soley at GMC programmers. I'll be marketing it outside of the GMC once I have made it more accessible, and not all of the people that it reaches will have coding knowledge. I don't think DnD is the answer, that woud just create more hassle than it's worth. If you read the tutorial, you'll see that I am planning to use GML from the start, and the most accessible version will teach GML along the way.

Edited by True Valhalla, 14 August 2010 - 10:15 PM.

#28 general sirhc

general sirhc

YW Creator

• 1651 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:29 PM

I actually found all the current tutorials were far too basic for me, I am aware its a beta but you probably need to add some stuff for advanced users too. People that already can build a average MMORPG system but are not really sure of the important things,
EG:

Dead Reckoning
Packet security
Login security
Player bans
Moderators/user levels
Chat filters (that also apply to usernames)
Unimportant tasks to keep your interest in the project (EG: prettying up server output)

Thats just some ideas.. =)

Edited by general sirhc, 03 September 2010 - 06:42 AM.

#29 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:45 AM

I agree. At the moment, the current tutorial covers the basics. Next, my goal is to introduce some medium level tutorials (log in, register, inventory, movement) and then later some higher concept systems like the ones you mentioned.

At the moment, however, I've ceased work on the site so I can dedicate more to my current MMORPG, but I'll get back into it when I'm ready.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Tv

#30 thatshelby

thatshelby

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3823 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:27 AM

Very informative site- I love it! I can't wait until more of the tutorials are finished.

Some criticism:
-Ads kind of surround the whole article, a little space would be optimal, but it's not necessary.
-Links to where I could find 39dll.dll and myINI.dll would be great.
-I can't wait until the tutorials are finished- maybe even a partial tutorial would be nice, because I can usually figure things out about 1/2-3/4s of the way in.
-YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THIS! Do you know how many cookie cutter MMO's you have sprung up?! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users