thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:30 AM

Posted Image

by Theta Games

Overview:

You are Pilot 176. You have been sent to the dense jungles of Neo-Indochina, where the Enemy, in order to provide cover for themselves, has seeded many invasive, dangerous plants. You must spray large amounts of herbicides on the plants in order to halt their growth and ultimately eradicate them.

ORANGE is a bit like an arena-shooter, though instead of shooting at isolated enemies, you face an ever-growing mass of plants, which evolve and become more dangerous as the game progresses.

This game was made for the TIGSource "A Game By Its Cover" Competition. For the competition, contestants select a "fake" game box/cartridge and must create a game out of it. I chose this cartridge, from the 2009 Famicase Exhibition, which, to my understanding, is an annual exhibition of game concepts, where participants create everything but the game itself (i.e. the cartridge, concept, art, etc).

Downloads:

Mirror I (Box.net)
Mirror II (Mediafire)
Mirror III (YoYoGames)

Specifications:

Title: ORANGE
Download Size: 10.7 MB zipped
File Type: A '.zip' archive that contains the main executable, README.txt, a folder containing the game music, and two DLL's used to play the Ogg Vorbis music.
Version: 1.0
Written In: GM8 Pro Edition

Controls:

WASD: Move
IJKL / Arrow Keys / Mouse: Spray Herbicides (in given direction)
Space: Pause
F12: Display FPS

If you want to shoot with the mouse, move the mouse or left-click to make the mouse-cursor appear. You can readily switch back and forth between control types (IJKL, Arrow Keys, and Mouse) in-game.

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Playthrough Video (Spoiler Alert!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai_sYzjOI8o

Edited by thetagames, 10 August 2010 - 08:23 PM.

#2 .DB60.

.DB60.

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

That was actually a ton of fun. Anyone who reads this, DO NOT go off of the screenshots!! Dont take this the wrong way, but the screenshots do look.. Strange? But I recommend this game to anybody! My review

Graphics: 10/10 Its hard to see what I see in the screenshots, but play it and you will know.
Sounds: 10/10 Appropriate and on target
Gameplay: 6/10 The 8 direction controls bugged me
Fun: 10/10

Pros: A ton of fun, replayibility, good structure, quality.
Cons: Just the 8 direction shooting, it make it very hard to get the ship quite right from time to time.

Overall: 9/10 Great job, I recommend it to anybody

#3 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

@.DB60.:
Thank you very much for your review, and your kind comments. What you are saying about the screenshots is true; they really do not capture the true graphical nature of the game (this is mostly because of all of the transparency and the "wiggling," which was done to give the game a more organic feel).

About the 8-directional shooting - the game originally just had keyboard-controls (this is still what I prefer to use). When I added mouse-control as an option, I didn't want it to be over-powered by allowing the player to shoot always precisely toward the cursor, so I made it so that it shoots in the closest cardinal direction to the cursor. Besides, I feel like the 8-directional shooting makes it easier to strafe around and spread the herbicides as much as possible.

I have uploaded a playthrough video. Please see first post.

Edited by thetagames, 10 August 2010 - 08:22 PM.

#4 MWG

MWG

Hardcore Dreamer

• 34 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

Wow, not what I expected!

A very cool arcade game, with great movement and a nice cool little story too! I'd play this when I'm bored and have nothing to do.

What I didn't like was the shooting, it was quite akward at times. And the music was not as good as it could have been; It just didn't really appeal to me.

But overall - I'd reccomend this game to my friends, well done!

#5 phocker

phocker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 86 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:48 AM

I unzipped to another folder, but still get this error on startup:

for object thetagamespresents:

Error defining an external function.

promo_banner.png

SpockerDotNet LLC Website

#6 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

@MWG:
About the shooting - I personally like to use keyboard-shooting best. Using the mouse takes a little getting used to. Glad you'd recommend it, though!

@phocker:
I don't know what is causing that. I have noticed that this occurs occasionally with the DLL's I am using to play the music. Also, I have noticed that even after giving that error, the game may still work if you try to run it again (maybe try re-extracting?).

#7 greenkid479

greenkid479

GMC Member

• 65 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:47 PM

Very Cool! Like the concept, the game-play is fun. The graphics could use a little improvement, but the style defiantly works. My favorite part was probably the music during the first minute or so of game-play.
8/10
Posted Image

#8 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:54 AM

Very Cool! Like the concept, the game-play is fun. The graphics could use a little improvement, but the style defiantly works. My favorite part was probably the music during the first minute or so of game-play.
8/10

Glad you liked it! The background music really does change throughout the game; it gradually morphs from one thing to another to another.