banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

Posted Image
Dubloon
It's finally finished! A point-n-click pirate RPG adventure game. There are dungeons, bosses, sidequests and secrets in a huge explorable world.

File Size: 29.7 MB (11 MB version also available; see below)
Download Links:
GameJolt
http://gamejolt.com/...pg/dubloon/254/

YoYoGames
http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/83854

LowFi Version:
This version has low quality music, but is only an 11 MB download. Not recommended.
LoFi Download

Walkthrough:
If you're really stuck and don't know what to do or can't solve a puzzle, you can consult this.
Walkthrough (For Landlubbers)

Gameplay Video (First 6 Minutes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nTuU2b9v0k

Screenshot(s):
Posted Image - Battle
[Using a Battle item]
[Sailing on the open seas]
[A battle fought in a jail]
[A monkey explores a forest...]

Soundtrack:
If you're really into the music Prophecy made, you can download the full game soundtrack with high bit rate/album artwork/proper song titles here.
http://gamejolt.com/...s/download/254/

T-Shirts:
You can get a Dubloon T-Shirt here! Feel free to send suggestions for designs you want... I like selling shirts.
http://www.zazzle.co...438694018254966

Developer Commentary:
You can watch a playthrough of the game with my commentary here.

Credits:
-Game by Banov
-Music by Prophecy

Changelog: http://banov.blogspo...n-complete.html
Notice: Because of bug in earlier versions of the game, you might find a situation where you lose crew members or have a crewmate who has a blank name. If that happens, I highly recommend you REDOWNLOAD as the most recent versions fix these bugs automatically upon startup. All you need to replace is the EXE, so the Lo-Fi download works just as well. Sorry for the inconvenience!

-----------

Comments and constructive feedback are greatly appreciated!

Edited by banov, 18 May 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#2 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

Yay! You finished it!
Congrats on the Yoyo feature.
I'm gonna play this from the start now.

-orange08

Edit:
There is an error when you control The boy and the monkey.. when you run (while trying to avoid the gaurds in the place where your dad is) it makes this error:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event
for object playerobj:

Sound does not exist.

Because of this error, the game is un-completable. It is impossible to run past the gaurds with this error popping up every time you run.

Also, after defeating the mole boss.

ERROR in
action number 2
of Step Event
for object battlecontrolobj:

In script enemyAI_scr:
Error in code at line 25:
for(a=13;ds_grid_get(global.enemy,ds_list_find_value(global.battletype,me),a)!="END";a+=1)
^
at position 81: Cannot compare arguments.

I just hit ignore and was able to continue.

Edited by orange08, 15 June 2010 - 05:19 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#3 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:17 AM

How embarrassing! Those happened because of nervous last-minute changes I made to the game just before uploading. I'm now uploading fixed versions (1.0.0.1) so those bugs will be all gone. So sorry!

#4 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:22 AM

Well I don't know how many times I've told you before, but this game is insanely mint man. Great engaging gameplay, awesome sidequests, hell you even got some trophies! (WHICH I HAVE THEM ALL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH)

#5 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

How embarrassing! Those happened because of nervous last-minute changes I made to the game just before uploading. I'm now uploading fixed versions (1.0.0.1) so those bugs will be all gone. So sorry!

I see... at first I was thinking: "How did the beta testers miss these errors?" But now I understand.

Whew! Now I can get back to playing. Thanks for fixing the errors =D
I hope nobody posts any spoilers on this topic. I haven't got to the ending yet.

Edit: I am eagerly anticipating your next game =D

Edited by orange08, 16 June 2010 - 12:54 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#6 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

Hey Banov, could you PM me with how you lower the red blocks in the Pirate's Graveyard? Its driving me nuts

Brilliant game banov btw

Edited by King Tetiro, 16 June 2010 - 02:56 PM.

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#7 Koron XYZ

Koron XYZ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1470 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

Fantastic game! I check your blog almost every day, and I'm glad to see that you've finished.
Thanks for making yet another quality game :)

#8 Thundercow

Thundercow

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

Amazing game!

However, I think I encountered a game breaking bug (may contain a litte spoiler):
after defeating the Treasure Tower's boss I picked up the key, saved and quit the game.
When I continued later I was kind of stuck cause I didn't know what to do (I talked to everyone on the island but no dialogue changed and the log still told me to plunder the tower) , so I read the walkthrough which said that the door should be locked and I shouldn't be able to exit the tower after taking the key.
I went back to the tower's top floor and used the spyglass like the walkthrough states but there's no crack in the floor to uncover.
Looks like I'm gonna start over... oh well, why not, It's a great game!

#9 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:15 AM

Amazing game!

However, I think I encountered a game breaking bug (may contain a litte spoiler):
after defeating the Treasure Tower's boss I picked up the key, saved and quit the game.
When I continued later I was kind of stuck cause I didn't know what to do (I talked to everyone on the island but no dialogue changed and the log still told me to plunder the tower) , so I read the walkthrough which said that the door should be locked and I shouldn't be able to exit the tower after taking the key.
I went back to the tower's top floor and used the spyglass like the walkthrough states but there's no crack in the floor to uncover.
Looks like I'm gonna start over... oh well, why not, It's a great game!

Bwah! I'm uploading a fix for that as we speak. If you send me your save file, I can fix it for you.

#10 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

Starting a Let's Play: http://www.youtube.c...er/overboyagain

Good stuff.

Edited by overboy, 17 June 2010 - 09:09 AM.

#11 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

There is another small (but important) problem with the game. For some reason, the game doesn't make you name the boy who has the monkey.. it only lets you name the monkey. So whenever people say his name it's just blank. You should fix that.

Spoilers below:

I beat the leader of the navy and am now gonna work on getting better at fighting the golden chest. Can't wait to see what happens afterward!

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#12 gmx0

gmx0

The Messenger

• GMC Member
  • 1220 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

yay! I cant wait to see the final boss. Old save files are still compatible, correct?

#13 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

Starting a Let's Play: http://www.youtube.c...er/overboyagain

Good stuff.

<3

There is another small (but important) problem with the game. For some reason, the game doesn't make you name the boy who has the monkey.. it only lets you name the monkey. So whenever people say his name it's just blank. You should fix that.

I did fix that, actually! That was one of the bugs I fixed over the course of yesterday. The official changelog is here: http://banov.blogspot.com/
But I guess I should copy it over here too...

yay! I cant wait to see the final boss. Old save files are still compatible, correct?

Yeah, they're still compatible. It's hard for me to totally recommend that though because I added some chests earlier in the game and so if you want to go for 100% completion you'll have a harder time.

Edited by banov, 17 June 2010 - 03:47 PM.

#14 Time Wraith

Time Wraith

GMC Member

• 46 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

Hi Banov,

I remember playing one of the earliest demos of this game and loving it. The final product, though, is even better, and I'm saying this after completing the whole thing. Great battles, some surprisingly good puzzles (especially in the treasure tower!) and excellent item variety really make this fun, and I was also impressed by the sailing minigame and its healthy range of enemies. This is a game everyone should try, especially since it offers so much playing time whilst maintaining great variety throughout. So yeah, I'm very happy to see this completed.

I could carry on with the praise for a lot longer, but I guess what you're most interested in is some constructive criticism, so I'll point out some of the (minor!) things that should be fixed or improved:

-The fetch parrot's animation can get a little messy. If you use it and then use it again before it's finished flying, you'll see two parrots on-screen at once. Also, there were a few occasions where I was forced to hit a switch that was off-screen, so I had to send the parrot halfway there to move the camera forward, and then quickly send it onto the switch before the camera shifted back to the crew. This was all pretty jerky and unreliable, so maybe you could let the camera move around whilst you're choosing the spot for the parrot to fly to?

-The boots that you get from the Frozen Ship’s captain are great, and in my opinion they're by far the best of the four items that you get from beating the quartet members. As a result, though, I was disappointed in the Sparkle Shield, which is the last item and therefore the most difficult to get. The random elemental attack that it gives you was pretty much useless for me--not only because it's luck-based, but also because the monkey can already attack with the three main elements (fire, ice and electricity). The boots, on the other hand, give you Cool Run, which is guaranteed to freeze any enemy. I found myself using Cool Run in every major battle towards the end of the game and having a much easier time because of it. I'm not saying that's bad, but I think you should swap the positions of the Frozen Ship and the Sparkle Oasis. That means that the Frozen Ship--not the Sparkle Oasis--should be the place that you can visit only when you've defeated the first three quartet members.

- I think the final boss would benefit from some status-related abilities, because right now the battle is a pretty straightforward test of strength. You just lower its stats and boost yours, and then destroy it with your most powerful attacks whilst using the boy to heal the crew. If your characters are over level 40 then you’re almost guaranteed to win, so some complexity needs to be added to force you to think more.

-I caught a few spelling errors. One: after you defeat the final boss, the woman says "Look like" instead of "Looks like". Two: I may have caught "existance" (for "existence") somewhere during the Navy Headquarters section. There are one or two more errors in the item descriptions, but I can't check them now because of...

-... a major bug. I tried both endings for fun, but when I loaded my file after getting the “selfish” ending, the remaining crew members were still gone and there was no way to get them back. They reappeared during the cutscene before the final boss, but once the battle started they were gone again. It’s extremely frustrating, because I finished with only 89% of the treasures and didn’t realize in time that you can go back to fight all four members of the quartet at once. I tried opening my .sav file with Notepad to take a look, but now the game can’t read it anymore and my data’s as good as wiped. Think you’d be able to do some tinkering to fix up my file? ;)

Anyway, well done for completing this wonderful game. I know difficult it is to finish projects, so for you to have pulled such a huge one through is really impressive.

(By the way, is it possible to buy whatever that foreign merchant on the pirate island is selling? I’m surprised that there’s a whole 11% of treasure that I didn’t find!)

#15 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:38 PM

Banov, I've just completed the game.. I did not get all the treasure stuff.
Spoilers Below!

I have a question about the ending though... because It made me sad.
Is it possible to save the 3 crewmates? =(

This game.. really is awesome. Better than I imagined. I cannot wait until you start making your next game.

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#16 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:28 PM

Time Wraith, that bug was fixed at some point yesterday (see the changelog). Sorry for your loss (though I guess it serves some ironic justice... I did consider having that happen in the correct version), if you email your file to banov g at g mail dot com I could probably fix it for you. The reason I hesitate is because you said you tampered with it in notepad, which is, um, not a good thing to do. Might not be recoverable.

Orange, same deal, you can email me your file and I'll put them back in for you. (Assuming you got the same ending bug).

#17 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:37 AM

YEAH!!! Thanks, Banov. I got the ending where I saved my 3 crewmates.
I'm sure this game will be receiving a lot of attention across the internet soon. And you certainly deserve it =D

BTW, SPOILERS BELOW!
Banov, when I got the ending where I saved the crew-mates.. I saw peanut (the monkey) had an earring... this aroused my interest, so I went to the pink Island, and then I went to the house that talks about that guy who had incredible power because he drank so much... I took a screenshot, I zoomed in on the picture that was in the house, it was of this man (the books on the desks in the house said that the gods turned this man into an animal), It appears as if he has an earring too!
PROOF THAT THE MONKEY IS THIS MAN! I did pretty good in finding it out, eh?

-orange08

Edit: Any tips for beating the quartet? They're really hard... =(

Edited by orange08, 18 June 2010 - 01:33 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#18 codebirds productions

codebirds productions

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

Hi Banov, I think there is a glitch in your game:
I defeated the west sea monster; put the fang in the "magical door unlocker", and then defeated the east sea monster. When I put the fang of the east sea monster in, the fang disappeared and nothing else happened, and when I clicked on the "magical key/door thing" again, it said to "put the fang in it". Could you fix it? Thanks, as I have reached 48% and would rather not have to re-fight all the bosses again (Viking, sea monsters, ect)

Thanks for your help, it's a great game!

Now I have to get that last treasure & 4%...

Edited by codebirds productions, 21 June 2010 - 12:48 AM.

Did you know that birds can fly? {}

#19 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

Hi Banov, I think there is a glitch in your game:
I defeated the west sea monster; put the fang in the "magical door unlocker", and then defeated the east sea monster. When I put the fang of the east sea monster in, the fang disappeared and nothing else happened, and when I clicked on the “magical key/door thing” again, it said to “put the fang in it”. Could you fix it? Thanks, as I have reached 48% and would rather not have to re-fight all the bosses again (Viking, sea monsters, ect)

O___O that's bizarre! No idea what could cause that. Will look into it. In the emantime you can email me your save to banov g at g mail dot com and I'll fix it for you personally.

EDIT: Okay, I found the problem! This has to be the most obscure one yet. Not only did you have to put in one fang and then leave and come back before putting in the other fang, but you ALSO had to try and put the second fang in the same slot as the first one rather than the empty slot it's supposed to go in. But whatever, fixed and uploaded. Good bug finding skills, or something o__o

Edited by banov, 18 June 2010 - 11:06 PM.

#20 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

I finally finished it. This is game is great, I got so addicted to it. The story is great, like in all your games, the gameplay is pretty addictive, the sounds are awsome, everything flows great.

I found some bugs too, like being stuck, especially on the coloured walls and the bushes from Pirate's Graveyard, and I had to restart.
On the fight with ultimate Bradley, when the young one finishes him, Bradley could still attack, and all the attacks I made missed, wich caused the young guy to die, and the game froze, because I couldn't do anything besides going to title screen...

And... balls? Are you serious, that really surprised me in a game like this! xD I put them on the girl.

I tried the selfish ending, and now I only have the first guy... And now I know there are still new treasures and fights!! bah...

Edited by Zccc, 19 June 2010 - 11:17 PM.

#21 Magikarp

Magikarp

Dark Age Owner

• GMC Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:13 AM

Edited by Magikarp, 20 June 2010 - 05:13 AM.

#22 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:33 AM

Bravo banov! This is truly my favorite Game Maker game and my favorite indie game that I have ever played. Every second so far has been full of fun!

I am having a blast with Dubloon so far. These pirates won't let me have passage to Atlan Island so I am fighting them. They are much harder than the previous boss. They easily defeated my party. Gotta level up a bit more, eh?

Good luck selling your t-shirts! I'm not really interested in that. I would be interested in you releasing a limited supply of physical copies that could come with a full color cover and maybe the CD of the soundtrack? You could even autograph it! Something like $9.99 is a price I would imagine. Sound tempting? ;)

#23 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:41 AM

@Zccc: I've gone back and fixed that bug, next time I update the game it will never happen again! For now I'm biding my time for any more obscure bugs to appear so I can clear them out with one update.

I would be interested in you releasing a limited supply of physical copies that could come with a full color cover and maybe the CD of the soundtrack? You could even autograph it! Something like $9.99 is a price I would imagine. Sound tempting? ;)

Hey, if you'd give me $9.99 / $10, I'd happily make it. Even if it was just for you ;) I don't have access to any special service that sells that kind of product, so I'd have to put it together on my own and mail it to you (or anyone else who'd want it). Sounds like a fun project though... I'd love to have a game I could hold in my own hands.

#24 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

Is it possible to get my crew back? I don't want to restart the game only to get the missing treasures...

#25 tabc3dd

tabc3dd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

Did you ever play Legend of Lufia on gameboy ? The gameplay is kind of like in this game. And like in your game, the first boss battle you meet totally destroys your character and the story can go on. But in LoL, if you kill enough guys on the floors before the first boss and obtained 3 Xbombs or leveled your characters high enough ( the process took over 3 hours), you could kill the first boss. You would then obtain a special unique reward, and the storyline would change a little to reset.
For exemple, if you defeat bradley, you can loot his bracers or whatever, then marine gunners come and shoot you down, so the story can go on with you in jail.

Sorry if thats already implemented, and good luck with the project, it's awesome.

Final Core is being remade, come check the new topic ! http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=683878&hl=

Final Core is an RTS/TDS in which you can design your ships using a selection of over 130 parts.
Build the ultimate battleship and challenge other players' designs!

Online without port-forwarding: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=685273

#26 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

the Bradley battle is actually new to the game, but yeah that sorta happens when you win. :P

#27 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

the Bradley battle is actually new to the game, but yeah that sorta happens when you win. :P

I'm pretty sure there's a max level you can get to before each boss. Otherwise you could just stay right next to a savelog, and a pink chest, and gain a ton of experience and level up a lot too. But you can't. :)

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#28 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:36 PM

@Zccc: I've gone back and fixed that bug, next time I update the game it will never happen again! For now I'm biding my time for any more obscure bugs to appear so I can clear them out with one update.

I would be interested in you releasing a limited supply of physical copies that could come with a full color cover and maybe the CD of the soundtrack? You could even autograph it! Something like $9.99 is a price I would imagine. Sound tempting? ;)

Hey, if you'd give me $9.99 / $10, I'd happily make it. Even if it was just for you ;) I don't have access to any special service that sells that kind of product, so I'd have to put it together on my own and mail it to you (or anyone else who'd want it). Sounds like a fun project though... I'd love to have a game I could hold in my own hands.

You need to make sure you make this game bug-free : P

I'll think about it, you deserve the money! : P What would you include in it banov?

Edited by Mr. RPG, 20 June 2010 - 09:36 PM.

#29 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

Is it possible to get my crew back? I don't want to restart the game only to get the missing treasures...

Honestly I am getting really really tired of repeating this considering it's already been gone over like 5 times in this topic. I'll probably just stop responding to these.
FOR THE LAST TIME: If you didn't download/redownload the game after I fixed this bug and then you got this bug, you can EMAIL YOUR SAVE FILE to banov g a t g mail dot com and I will personally fix it for you!

Did you ever play Legend of Lufia on gameboy ? The gameplay is kind of like in this game. And like in your game, the first boss battle you meet totally destroys your character and the story can go on. But in LoL, if you kill enough guys on the floors before the first boss and obtained 3 Xbombs or leveled your characters high enough ( the process took over 3 hours), you could kill the first boss. You would then obtain a special unique reward, and the storyline would change a little to reset.
For exemple, if you defeat bradley, you can loot his bracers or whatever, then marine gunners come and shoot you down, so the story can go on with you in jail.

Sorry if thats already implemented, and good luck with the project, it's awesome.

Well, there's a couple extra lines of text that you get for beating Bradley. But really it's not worth the effort.

I'll think about it, you deserve the money! : P What would you include in it banov?

Yeah, I'm aware. The bugs are getting more and more obscure though, which is good.
Idunno, I guess I'd just have the game CD and soundtrack. Nice fancy CD labels and game coverart. And my signature. I could do a making-of video?? What else would you expect from such a package?

#30 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

CD soundtrack..
The game in disc form..
Labels..
Autograph..
A making of video would be good too..

:)

#31 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

Honestly I am getting really really tired of repeating this considering it's already been gone over like 5 times in this topic. I'll probably just stop responding to these.
FOR THE LAST TIME: If you didn't download/redownload the game after I fixed this bug and then you got this bug, you can EMAIL YOUR SAVE FILE to banov g a t g mail dot com and I will personally fix it for you!

Well, there's a couple extra lines of text that you get for beating Bradley. But really it's not worth the effort.

Yeah, I'm aware. The bugs are getting more and more obscure though, which is good.
Idunno, I guess I'd just have the game CD and soundtrack. Nice fancy CD labels and game coverart. And my signature. I could do a making-of video?? What else would you expect from such a package?

Sorry, I may not read it, because of the spoiler alerts... I'm so sorry...

Edit: My sugestion for the physical CD form of the game: Concept Art, deleted scenes and ideias, etc..

Edited by Zccc, 20 June 2010 - 10:00 PM.

#32 _162776

_162776

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:59 AM

I love the game, but I seem to have beaten the last secret boss without finding the third one. The viking, funk DJ, and Sparkles are all sitting in a cabin and won't say a word as to where the last one is, so I think I broke the sequence and have been combing the earlier islands with no luck. Also; Vypa's chest remains unopened. Are these things related? Could you perhaps provide a vague hint if I say please?

#33 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:15 AM

I love the game, but I seem to have beaten the last secret boss without finding the third one. The viking, funk DJ, and Sparkles are all sitting in a cabin and won't say a word as to where the last one is, so I think I broke the sequence and have been combing the earlier islands with no luck. Also; Vypa's chest remains unopened. Are these things related? Could you perhaps provide a vague hint if I say please?

:whistle:

Edited by brod, 21 June 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#34 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:00 AM

You guys might find this cool: Dubloon Developer Commentary

CD soundtrack..
The game in disc form..
Labels..
Autograph..
A making of video would be good too..

:)

What do you mean, "labels"...?

Sorry, I may not read it, because of the spoiler alerts... I'm so sorry...

Edit: My sugestion for the physical CD form of the game: Concept Art, deleted scenes and ideias, etc..

Oh, now I feel like a jerk. That's a totally legitimate reason for not browsing the topic. I added some info into the first post though, so now it's fair game :P

Wow, that's impressive! You found Sparkles without the hint?? How'd you manage that o__o

[Wrong things]

No dude, he's asking about the *third* one, Captain FC. And he's not that hard to find if you look carefully, either. Check islands you visited between the one where you found the viking and the graveyard.

Edited by banov, 21 June 2010 - 06:06 AM.

#35 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:10 AM

Labels, I meant a cover for the game.

Loving your "ums" in your commentary ;)

Edit: Have you ever thought about making a commercial product?

Edited by Mr. RPG, 21 June 2010 - 06:25 AM.

#36 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

Cool to see you got this completed man. I know you have been working on it for a while. Once you get to university, you'll pretty much grab the title as best game designer there ( which is sad really haha). I'm sure you'll have lots of fun learning Maya and Nuke and all the programs that are quite different from Game Maker and Photoshop, but when it comes to 2D games, I doubt you will meet anyone near your skill level here ;)

I haven't had time to play yet, but I do want to check it out. I'm not usually one for PC rpgs, but it has amazing charm. I also recognize that font from your one screenshot Harlow Italic from Windows default haha. I've used it on a few projects back in the day =).

Also, add me to google chat if you have gmail - fornace (at) gmail.com.

-Dan

smashland-siggy.gif

#37 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

Cool to see you got this completed man. I know you have been working on it for a while. Once you get to university, you'll pretty much grab the title as best game designer there ( which is sad really haha). I'm sure you'll have lots of fun learning Maya and Nuke and all the programs that are quite different from Game Maker and Photoshop, but when it comes to 2D games, I doubt you will meet anyone near your skill level here ;)

I haven't had time to play yet, but I do want to check it out. I'm not usually one for PC rpgs, but it has amazing charm. I also recognize that font from your one screenshot Harlow Italic from Windows default haha. I've used it on a few projects back in the day =).

Also, add me to google chat if you have gmail - fornace (at) gmail.com.

-Dan

I'm not too sure about that statement I put in bold text.
There are a lot of people here with skills that Banov has. (No offence to him) Though a lot of people here are noobs and are certainly not as good with GM as Banov, there are still a lot of smart people that are quite near his skill level. E.G. 2Dcube, Scream681, Ultimortal, even yourself, and not to mention some of the Mods/Admins like Sandy.

Mistaken text =D

Edited by orange08, 21 June 2010 - 06:54 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#38 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

Labels, I meant a cover for the game.

Loving your "ums" in your commentary ;)

Edit: Have you ever thought about making a commercial product?

Yes, I don't think I'll ever make a game this big again and give it away for free. I need to start thinking about how I'm going to support myself--I want to make games for a living, but if I'm to do that, I need to start actually selling them. ;p

I'm not too sure about that statement I put in bold text.
There are a lot of people here with skills that Banov has. (No offence to him) Though a lot of people here are noobs and are certainly not as good with GM as Banov, there are still a lot of smart people that are quite near his skill level. E.G. 2Dcube, Scream681, Ultimortal, even yourself, and not to mention some of the Mods/Admins like Sandy.

Dan and I will be attending school together this September. That's what he meant by "here" :P

Edited by banov, 21 June 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#39 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

Dan and I will be attending school together this September. That's what he meant by "here" :P

Oh...
Now I feel like an idiot. o_O

@Banov going to start selling games
Best of luck on that... When or If you do start selling games, I'm sure you will get a lot of buyers from here, since we have all seen your work and know how awesome it is ;)

Spoilers after this----

I'm still working on getting 100% treasures on Dubloon... I have 96% so far. I beat the quartet... had to fight the chest a lot first though, so I could level up my crew so they would get better at fighting.
Not really sure where the other 4% of the treasures are. Working on it.

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#40 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

I will definitely buy (well it actually depends on the genre of the game..) If its a RPG or any kind of adventure game with puzzle-solving then I am up to it.

I hope you got my response my personal message. I need help on getting through this puzzle!

Edited by Mr. RPG, 21 June 2010 - 09:46 PM.

#41 _162776

_162776

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

Wow, that's impressive! You found Sparkles without the hint?? How'd you manage that o__o

I'd just finished Merry Gear Solid before playing this, and it did something similar enough to give me a hunch to try backtracking that far. That it happened to unlock the very last one was just pure accident. I was just hoping for reassurance that I hadn't bugged the game, I suppose.
Though this brings to mind another minor quibble; the spyglass doesn't seem to react to many of the early game 'secrets', like the cracked walls in the starting prison. If it isn't necessary to getting the secrets I've missed, it's really nothing more than illusion-breaking and can be safely ignored. An indie JRPG that isn't "Cloud and Sephie's Ultimate Makeout Quest VII" is impressive enough, thank you.

EDIT: Wait wait wait, I got FC (Frozen Ship) and Standish (Viking ship). Then I found Sparkle based on a lucky guess. Who's supposed to be on third? I'm at the point where everyone is saying "go to the Navy Base", which rhymes with 'point of no return' if you know what I mean, so I'm trying to find all the extras I can. Do I have to go into the navy base?

Edited by _162776, 21 June 2010 - 10:58 PM.

#42 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:22 PM

EDIT: Wait wait wait, I got FC (Frozen Ship) and Standish (Viking ship). Then I found Sparkle based on a lucky guess. Who's supposed to be on third? I'm at the point where everyone is saying "go to the Navy Base", which rhymes with 'point of no return' if you know what I mean, so I'm trying to find all the extras I can. Do I have to go into the navy base?

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Dude, you missed the very first guy! Standish is 2, FC 3, and Sparkles 4. The first captain is on the first island. He's very easy to find ;p

EDIT: Don't worry. by the way, I don't "do" points-of-no-return. Once you go to the Navy base, you will eventually reach a point where you cannot leave (for good reason!) until you complete all the tasks set for you there. But once you're done there you're free to go.

Edited by banov, 21 June 2010 - 11:33 PM.

#43 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

Gahhh... 98%... Do I have to comb through the whole game to find them? Some sort of item that shows you which islands the remaining treasures are on would be greatly appreciated. Also,

*SPOILER, SORT OF*

I think it'd be great if, for attacks that hit multiple enemies and/or multiple times, the Booster skill boosted all hits. It'd be an awesome combo!

*END SPOILER*
Posted ImagePosted Image

#44 codebirds productions

codebirds productions

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

I agree completely with lasttea999; maybe you could place a treasure behind the admiral morphing guy that shows you where the remaining treasures are (hidden, so you have to look for it), I'm at 96% and utterly clueless after completely combing the game, I got all treasures except number 15. If you could make it, then, please please please do so, as I want to see what that final lock at the ending with the chest/crew choices does. Or, make it cost 10,000 dubloons.

Did you know that birds can fly? {}

#45 Ultio

Ultio

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

I've really enjoyed this game so far, which is saying something. Normally I don't have the patience to try finishing rpgs. This one's different, which is why I'm hoping I won't have to start over again.

Two more bug notices. I now cannot enter a regular battle without crashing the game.

for object hudobj:

Error in code at line 14:
draw_rectangle(view_xview+24+(40*a),42,view_xview+24+(40*a)+(32*(ds_grid_get(battlecontrolobj.party,a,12)/global.timemax)),46,false);
^
at position 116: Division by 0.

Then:

(battlecontrolobj.party,a,12)/global.timemax)),46,false);
^

for object hudobj:

Error in code at line 14:
draw_rectangle(view_xview+24+(40*a),42,view_xview+24+(40*a)+(32*(ds_grid_get(battlecontrolobj.party,a,12)/global.timemax)),46,false);
^

This message comes up after I ignore the first one. Anything I press after it will result in the game closing.

Help? It's such a great game but now I can't play it!

Thanks in advance.

#46 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:02 AM

Just uploaded a new version (1.0.0.4) with some bugfixes. A couple important new features:
Captain Old Beard - An NPC on Pyrite Island who helps you find undiscovered treasures.
"Save Fixer" - Fixes common save file bugs from earlier versions (missing/unnamed crew members) automatically when you load your file.

Also, my developer commentary's been ongoing and people seem to like it, I recommend fans check it out:
http://www.youtube.c...ex=0&playnext=1
Click here to go to YouTube and see all the videos in a convenient playlist

Edited by banov, 23 June 2010 - 06:13 AM.

#47 Ultio

Ultio

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

Thank you so much! That was a very quick response and fix. Much appreciated. :)

#48 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

Wow. You really take care of your fans. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#49 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

Spoilers below-

I finally beat the game and got the good ending with both the chest and the crew =D
Everything was awesome, and I'm beginning to wonder what your next project is. O_O =D

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#50 _162776

_162776

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:01 AM

Oh those craaaaazy exchange rates!

But yeah these last few chests are driving me up the wall, even with the help. Where has my patience gone? It's counting chests, right? Not buried items?