orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

Illegal Operations

Posted Image

Illegal Operations is a top down game in which you are a man called "Green Guy" employed by the "Boss" who gives you various operations (As in killing certain people, or destroying certain objects).
After you complete an operation you are paid accordingly by the "Boss". The pay that you recieve for completing these jobs increases on the later operations.
However, you cannot simply play any mission you wish. Each mission requires a certain kind of weapon, and once you buy certain weapons it unlocks certain missions which require that weapon.

The game has a main menu in which all the buying and mission selecting is done.

Screenshots:
Screen 1 Screen 2 Screen 3 (old)

Controls:
A, S, D, and W to move. Left click to shoot your weapon, Right click to use your special equip, E to advance text/special, R to reload your weapon, Escape to Pause the game/Unpause.

Features:
5 different Operations to complete, fully working Menu (except for the extras, I haven't made those yet), Music, sound FX, Training Operation also, and much more!

Download:
Host-a: http://host-a.net/or... Operations.zip
Yoyo: http://www.yoyogames...egal-operations

Support the game by putting this in your sig:
[url="http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=477323"][img]http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/5342/illopssup.png[/img][/url]
Makes this:
Posted Image

Have fun playing the missions!

-orange08

Edited by orange08, 22 June 2010 - 08:25 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#2 xsnowball18x

xsnowball18x

GMC Member

• 233 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

Well I played the game, and it is good but hard with a laptop mouse I was like omg o.o Imma die XD
Anywayz, it has great game play, very smooth.... Graphics could be better but there okay...

Overall.. imma give it a 3/5
Games that I am workin on

Kirby 30%
Digimon world 15%
Trigura rpg 10%
I sprite and can do logos.Request thru pm unless I have a graphic shop!

#3 qwertyuil390

qwertyuil390

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 232 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Not bad gameplay. It got very repetitive fast, but I completed all the missions. You need to add a lot more missions and weapons. I think you should also make it so that you can have to kinds of weapons and switch between them.

The graphics could use some work, but for now I think they would be fine. Think about the gameplay first, graphics later.

You should put in more sounds, for things like exploding barrels, opening doors, destroying turrets, finding money, etc.

Overall, it's not that bad of a game, but you should put more content in for people to play.

I've moved to C++, but I still go on here and know most of GML still so if you need me I might be here...

Not like you knew me in the first place, right? ;)

#4 Kubanen

Kubanen

Vipers

• GMC Member
  • 1723 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

All i can say is

Posted Image

The game has a very nice gameplay between a simulator but it even works to play the missions, it's a great idea you had.
The gameplay is so sweet, The missions are nice.. Good weapons it's great!

The graphics i bet should be cartoony, i like the graphics, the 8 ways movements is good. Never seen a game like this, keep up
good work with the game, add some more missions fix some new weapons and this will come far.

It just needs a bit more Attention :)

/ Kubanen

Edited by Kubanen, 09 June 2010 - 09:14 PM.

I support

For its awesome gameplay & graphic style

#5 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

All i can say is

Posted Image

The game has a very nice gameplay between a simulator but it even works to play the missions, it's a great idea you had.
The gameplay is so sweet, The missions are nice.. Good weapons it's great!

The graphics i bet should be cartoony, i like the graphics, the 8 ways movements is good. Never seen a game like this, keep up
good work with the game, add some more missions fix some new weapons and this will come far.

It just needs a bit more Attention :)

/ Kubanen

Wow! Thanks, everyone for posting.

@snowball
I'm using a laptop too.. there's nothing I can do about hard mouse aiming on little laptops.

@qwertyuil
Thanks, you say repetitive? Could you be more specific? All the operations are different.
The game is not nearly complete, so don't worry about more guns and missions.. they are coming :)
Er... the only sounds that you mentioned that I need to add are opening doors and finding money, all the others I already have in the game... *cough*

@Kubanen
All i can say about your post is "Wow!"
And thanks for all the positive comments, if you have any specific ideas/suggestions then please tell me.

I noticed that almost everyone thought some of the graphics should be changed eventually... some of them will, but not the player or enemy sprites, those sprites are not THAT awful.. I put a lot of time and effort into making 8 Direction sprites for eand every person in the game!!! Not to mention the animations.

Also, thanks for putting the game in your sig, Kubanen.. it really helps to boost my morale.

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#6 Kubanen

Kubanen

Vipers

• GMC Member
  • 1723 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

I like your graphic style, not like all others.. But if you want some suggestions i can give you :)

- More Weapons Example( Desert Eagle , Uzi , AK-47 , Kar98 lol)

- More equipments Example (Kevlar , Flashlight , Nightvision , lockpick)

- More Missions Example (kill president/mob leader, kill motorcycle gang, save hostage , kidnap someone?)

Also, thanks for putting the game in your sig, Kubanen.. it really helps to boost my morale.

The game deserves it, it's pretty damn awesome.

If you ever need some support in graphic, i can do the same style as you or if something else is needed :)

/ Kubanen

Edited by Kubanen, 09 June 2010 - 09:51 PM.

I support

For its awesome gameplay & graphic style

#7 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

I like your graphic style, not like all others.. But if you want some suggestions i can give you :)

- More Weapons Example( Desert Eagle , Uzi , AK-47 , Kar98 lol)

- More equipments Example (Kevlar , Flashlight , Nightvision , lockpick)

- More Missions Example (kill president/mob leader, kill motorcycle gang, save hostage , kidnap someone?)

The game deserves it, it's pretty damn awesome.

If you ever need some support in graphic, i can do the same style as you or if something else is needed :)

/ Kubanen

From your post I get the impression that you think Green Guy and the "Boss" are good guys. :) They are not. "ILLEGAL Operations" are bad operations and they are done by bad people (who don't do good things like saving damsels in distress) :wacko: .
Thanks for the suggestions, they gave me a few lightbulbs on the new operations that I may create.
If you have any Ideas you can PM me them. Bugs and Errors you can report here.

As a side note, when I upload the next version I hope to have added some music for the game.

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#8 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:30 AM

It's pretty fun, but:
1. The bullet collision sucks. Because of how fast it's moving (30-60 speed) it easily passes through the enemies (or is it because if you're too far away, you can't hit an enemy?). I suggest using a collision_line test to avoid this.
2. LOL@ the MW2 claymores. Real-life claymores use a remote-controlled detonator, not a computer game laser-detecting trigger
3. Is there a reason why the player is committing hara-kiri with his gun?

Anyways, solid gameplay but my eyes are pretty much bleeding. Spent me a minute trying to figure out which key to press after assuming Space, Enter, Z, etc. Also, I can't exit fullscreen...WTF. Fun nevertheless :) I thought you were working on a Competition 06 entry.

#9 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:28 AM

Nice game! Look down at my signature. :)
I like the grapics style.A bit cartoony,but still looks nice.
Good job.

#10 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:34 AM

:) Butter sacrificed his signature to promote other people's games. You signature's way too fat though. I don't know. Is that a rule?

#11 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

:) Butter sacrificed his signature to promote other people's games. You signature's way too fat though. I don't know. Is that a rule?

On my computer it looks fine.I changed it though.

#12 twelveways

twelveways

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1383 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

2. LOL@ the MW2 claymores. Real-life claymores use a remote-controlled detonator, not a computer game laser-detecting trigger

Claymores can be detonated in a variety of ways in real life, including proximity, pressure, control or timer.

#13 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

Sneak peak of a new op:
Posted Image

This operation will require stealth, timing, and quick elimination. This stealth operation is different from "Quiet Mouse", because you have a silenced shotgun instead of a silenced pistol(so you can eliminate enemies faster), and its night and gaurds won't see you unless you go in their flashlight view.

If I could find an MP3 to MIDI converter, I would be able to have the next update sooner.. I have some nice MP3 musics but they need to be in MIDI form or I wont use them. PM me if you have a converter.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#14 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

Sneak peak of a new op:
Posted Image

This operation will require stealth, timing, and quick elimination. This stealth operation is different from "Quiet Mouse", because you have a silenced shotgun instead of a silenced pistol(so you can eliminate enemies faster), and its night and gaurds won't see you unless you go in their flashlight view.

If I could find an MP3 to MIDI converter, I would be able to have the next update sooner.. I have some nice MP3 musics but they need to be in MIDI form or I wont use them. PM me if you have a converter.

MP3 to midi? I don't think thats possible. Even if it is posible,it would sound weird after its converted.

#15 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

MP3 to midi? I don't think thats possible. Even if it is posible,it would sound weird after its converted.

Hm.. well then I guess I'll just have to find some good midis that fit my game... unfortunately they are hard to find. Maybe you guys could give me some links if you know of any sites that have good midis?

Back onto the game... I left it so your flashlight can show through walls. It won't alert the enemies, but It is necessary, otherwise you would never know if there were enemies behind the next wall :)
Posted Image

Once I do all the new gaurd AI I should be able to finish making this op at a faster pace.

-orange

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#16 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

Claymores can be detonated in a variety of ways in real life, including proximity, pressure, control or timer.

Along with tripwires, but had you actually played the game, you'd realize that the claymores used are typical mounted M18-esque claymore but with two lasers sticking out... That idea definitely came out of real life militarism.

Besides annoying MW2 attributes, the second level, Silent Mouse or something is a bit difficult. Enemies either discover you before the flashbang is deployed or detonated or the flashbang bounces off of the door if thrown slightly too early. Silenced pistols should kill a bit faster than 3-4 shots--1-2 would be more suitable. Even though this is top-down, we can assume as a spec-ops operative, we would be aiming for lethal hits--the heart, neck, head, etc. Possibly, the silenced pistol can achieve a one shot kill at close ranges (200px or less, for example) and 2 shot or miss at further ranges.

And I doubt you "left" the flashlight deliberately pass through walls. It's probably the surface engine you're using to draw the flashlights :) Realtime shadow casting is too slow anyways--I know that firsthand for have used it in a game :)

Other than that, I can't wait until the next updates. Managed to get passed the second mission after too many tries--scaling it down would be nicer. Or kill a lot quicker with a silenced pistol. Good luck!

#17 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

Along with tripwires, but had you actually played the game, you'd realize that the claymores used are typical mounted M18-esque claymore but with two lasers sticking out... That idea definitely came out of real life militarism.

Besides annoying MW2 attributes, the second level, Silent Mouse or something is a bit difficult. Enemies either discover you before the flashbang is deployed or detonated or the flashbang bounces off of the door if thrown slightly too early. Silenced pistols should kill a bit faster than 3-4 shots--1-2 would be more suitable. Even though this is top-down, we can assume as a spec-ops operative, we would be aiming for lethal hits--the heart, neck, head, etc. Possibly, the silenced pistol can achieve a one shot kill at close ranges (200px or less, for example) and 2 shot or miss at further ranges.

And I doubt you "left" the flashlight deliberately pass through walls. It's probably the surface engine you're using to draw the flashlights :) Realtime shadow casting is too slow anyways--I know that firsthand for have used it in a game :)

Other than that, I can't wait until the next updates. Managed to get passed the second mission after too many tries--scaling it down would be nicer. Or kill a lot quicker with a silenced pistol. Good luck!

Replying on the extra large text (I made it extra large).
I'm not sure what you mean, but I actually could have made it so the flashlight only shines until it hits the solids. It wouldn't be that hard, but I would rather leave it the way it is, so you don't have to find out where the enemies are by trial and error.

I'm really working hard on trying to find fitting midis for my game. Any suggestions/help are appreciated.

-orange

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#18 xsnowball18x

xsnowball18x

GMC Member

• 233 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

Im excited for the next version to come out, I bet it will be 10x better with all of this feedback :)

Kirby 30%
Digimon world 15%
Trigura rpg 10%

#19 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

Im excited for the next version to come out, I bet it will be 10x better with all of this feedback :)

It will have 2 more missions. I finished making the Night Time Operation. Now I'm almost finished with the Laser Center Operation.

Currently I am wondering if there are any other Options that I could put in the Options Menu, also, I will be adding achievements, in a new Extras Menu.
There will be only 10 Achievements. Any Ideas for achievements are welcome.
I dare not say much about the 2 new Ops, or I'll spoil everything for you guys.

I will upload an update as soon as I finish the second new op. Which should be soon.

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#20 xsnowball18x

xsnowball18x

GMC Member

• 233 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

Hmmm I noticed that you can't complete the sniper mission and some possible acheivements are going through a level with out getting hit :/ um... Accuracy 100% etc...

Kirby 30%
Digimon world 15%
Trigura rpg 10%

#21 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

Update!
I have uploaded an update to the game. It has 2 more Ops, also many glitches and bugs have been fixed. I think I fixed them all.
The download link in the first post has been updated
I'll post it here too anyway:

http://host-a.net/or... Operations.zip

WARNING!
DON'T USE YOUR OLD SAVEFILES!!!

Have fun playing the new ops!

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#22 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

Nice update. :)

#23 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Anything in particular you liked? Have any suggestions or ideas? Did you find any bugs?
I don't mean to be rude, I appreciate you supporting my game.. but I need constructive criticism. "Nice update. :) " Is not very informative.

On a side note, I'm changing the profile pictures that are shown while you are talking to people. So they are in a different kind of style.
Posted Image
I'm not sure if they look quite right though... maybe I should add a dark outline...

The first 5 Operations, (which are already in the game) are short and sweet. The next 5 (there are going to be a total of 10 Ops), will be longer than the first ones are.

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#24 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

:)

Anything in particular you liked? Have any suggestions or ideas? Did you find any bugs?
I don't mean to be rude, I appreciate you supporting my game.. but I need constructive criticism. "Nice update. :) " Is not very informative.

On a side note, I'm changing the profile pictures that are shown while you are talking to people. So they are in a different kind of style.
Posted Image
I'm not sure if they look quite right though... maybe I should add a dark outline...

The first 5 Operations, (which are already in the game) are short and sweet. The next 5 (there are going to be a total of 10 Ops), will be longer than the first ones are.

-orange08

I know. But I didn't feel like saying anything else right then.
The one thing that bothered me was the resolution. I had to change my computers resolution to be
able to see everything.Otherwise the text was cut off at the bottom during dialogue and in the menu I couldn't
see my cash. Other than that,as I said,nice update. The new ops were cool. Especially the night one.
The picture there could use an outline,but just a darker shade of the coor around it. Like around the face
a darker shade of skin color.And the shirt an outline of dark green.
Looking forward to the next update. :)

Edited by XtraButter, 18 June 2010 - 04:53 PM.

#25 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

Just letting you all know that the next update will contain some major changes.
Posted Image
I'm giving it more of a 3D feel, which will take a while to finish. So be patient ;)

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#26 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

Just letting you all know that the next update will contain some major changes.
Posted Image
I'm giving it more of a 3D feel, which will take a while to finish. So be patient ;)

-orange08

Looks a lot better. :)

#27 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

wtf is up with the screen resolution.? i quit playing because it was annoying.

pretty good premise for a game, you could maybe add a 'randomized' mission generater kinda thing.

in the first mission, when the guys 'backup' arrives, there's a vehicle looking thing, when bullets collide with it, they slow right down but do continue to go thru it..

ran outta ammo on the first mission, tried blowing the dude up with claymores, but he wasn't into it :P

not bad. i dig cartoony graphics.

#28 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

Whew! I have pretty much finished all of the 3D-ish stuff, all the collisions, etc. Now I'm checking each Op for possible bugs, like the bullet going slow in car glitch that sub noticed.
Expect an update very soon! If I'm lucky, maybe even tomorrow! ;)

I would put up a newer screenshot here, but I don't want to ruin any surprises. =3

-orange08

Edit:
I am planning to draw concept art stuff in the credits so it won't be so boring, if anyone draws some they can PM it to me and get their name in the concept art section of the credits.

Edited by orange08, 21 June 2010 - 11:31 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#29 tamper2

tamper2

GMC Member

• 369 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Nice game, although I think the "buying" thing is rather stupid, and you should use something else instead, because I don't think it's logical that you need to do the same mission TWICE if you don't find the hidden cash just to move on to the next one. Instead, make it possible to go to the next mission without the gun bought and you'll be just weaker.
Also, in the "Dark" mission, I thought the flashlight was rather useless, and I think you shouldn't see through walls with it, you should just see the same way you see the whole world without the flash light, darker.
And finally, I think it would be nice if you could go to the green zone to refill your health every once in a while.

Overall, the graphics are very nice (the way the player can rotate :P) and the sound fits the game very well (and it's funny how it moves through speakers Posted Image).

Good job, and keep it coming Orange08 ;)

Tamper

#30 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

Update!
All the 3D-ish stuff has been completed, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any bugs with it.
Now I shall have to update the screenshots in the first post =D
But for now, have a look at this:
Posted Image

Download: http://host-a.net/or... Operations.zip
The download link on the first page has been updated too.

@Tamper
Sorry, but I am not changing the buying thing. It is not that hard to find the money in each Op if you just try.
I don't think the dark mission should be changed... It seems fine to me the way it is.
The Green Zone is the place where you will be extracted once you complete your job, health packs (one is in the Hostage Op) are the only things that will refill your health.

Please don't use your old savefiles! I don't know what will happen if you do...

-orange08

Edited by orange08, 22 June 2010 - 04:49 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#31 tamper2

tamper2

GMC Member

• 369 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

I like the new style, and the new missions are awesome.

Good job man.

Tamper

#32 bluesy_92

bluesy_92

GMC Member

• 49 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:11 AM

Just to go with the stelath theme, a lockpicking minigame for some doors would be nice...along with a breaching charge that is easier to use, but alerts nearby guards. So, you can stealthily and patiently open the door, after eliminating all guards with a nearby line-of-sight, or you can just blow the sh*t out of it, and get ambushed.