GMC Member

• 112 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

Iji
Created by: Ultimortal
Reviewed by: Zarley11
Link: HERE

If you ask anyone who has been on the GMC for more than three years what their favourite action game created by Game Maker is, their answer probably will be Iji. This is one of the most replayable, most fun, most captivating game experiences ever created with Game Maker. This game pushes GMs limits to the max with its intense but simple graphics, overwhelming story, user friend interface, alternate endings, and memorable music. You can clearly see the efforts that Ultimortal put into this game, and no other GM related game is able to get the scores and ratings as he has. This doesn't have to be mentioned, but to anyone who is willing to try an emotional, story driven platform action/rpg: Iji will definitely impress you.

Story

Posted Image

The story of Iji is very emotional, and and die-hard indie gamers will be impressed by what has been done. Yes, there are some flaws in how the game is told, but they are easily dismissed and actually easily to not even notice. The entire story is told both through in-game cut-scenes and still picture cut-scenes that intensify the experience and also gives its presentation the touch of a REAL independent game that could be sold commercially. Basically, Iji and her family is seen to be taking a tour around a research facility of such. Out of nowhere, glowing lights are seen in the atmosphere, and a massive beam of power strikes the planet. These beams seem to have decimated the planet, and the only human survivors is Iji. Why has she survived? It seems that the scientists have altered her being, as now she is a nano-cyborg. Iji's brother, Dan, finds a way to communicate with her via the telecom speakers that is placed all around the research facility. He tells Iji that the facility has been under a massive attack by an alien race calling themselves the 'Tasen'. He informs her that the only way to stop the Tasen from doing anything else is to state her argument with the Tasen Leader that is, coincidentally, in the facility somewhere. Iji takes up this task, picks up a nanogun that has been left by her bedside, and heads towards the level where the Tasen Leader may be. Because the story is so intense and is always changing, there is about 3-5 hours of non-repetitive gameplay. The feeling of wondering what's around the corner, or what might be happen as you progress further is very strong, and that's what makes this game very exciting to play.

Gameplay

Posted Image

It might take a bit of getting used to for the hardcore gamer that plays with the WASD to mouse controls. The character moves smoothly, and jumping, kicking and shooting feels almost second nature. The game is set up so that even the most novice players can sit next to their keyboard and start playing. Enemy AI is complete and they react to different situations when Iji is seen, or her fired weapon is heard. Some of the actions that the enemies do are completely stupid, like when next to a wall, they usually just go back and forth aimlessly. But overall, they are pretty smart, especially when it comes to the boss battles. Each boss is completely unique and comes with its own challenges. Different weapons deal damage to different enemies, and some don't even hurt the enemy one bit. There are about 10 weapons in the game, and all of them do something different. Collecting all the weapons in the game is not required, but it will help you a whole lot when it comes to harder enemies and challenging boss battles. You can even combine 2 weapons to create an even stronger weapon. To combine weapons, you need a high crack level.

The RPG elements of the game are integrated very well. Anytime you pick up blue nano orbs that are dropped from fallen enemies or found in crates, they are added to your level up meter. When your meter is full, Iji levels up and when you come in contact with a nano station, you can assign an upgrade to supporting attributes. Some of them are Strength, Crack, Tasen, Komato, Health, etc. Another interesting element in the game how you can 'crack' different objects in the game. Cracking an object is basically like hacking. You can crack locked doors, locked boxes, even crack into an enemy's personal nanofield. But cracking a enemy's nanofield is very challenging, because if you fail, they will spot you.

Sound

Posted Image

Every single effect, and all the background music and small tunes are what I think makes this game incredible. Most of the background music is created by HyperDuck Studios, a very talented music composition company that literally wrote the score for the game. The music, in one's opinion, is very important in a game, since it does invoke the situation, story and mood of the game. HyperDuck has delivered the music well, and because of their hard work, they are now known for their composed music in Iji. The sound effects in the game are also incredible. All the guns in the game sound really well, especially the game's special weapons. From explosions, to bullet cases dropping, all the way down to the the character and enemies' own voice effects, are all top notch.

Interface

Posted Image

The game's interface is very user-friendly. The HUD has been programmed very well, just like the main menu and the pause menu. The HUD shows all the guns that the player has created so far, as well as the player's current level, its health and its shield points, and all the assimilated attributes. This is a great way for the player to see what he needs to upgrade or what level he is, instead of constantly switching to different scenes and such. The main menu is also put together very well, as it has everything that a main menu should have. Now, the thing players may not even open or touch is the pause menu. In this menu, the player finds a map of the entire level he is currently on. There are two cursors, one that shows the players current position, and one that shows where the exit point is. There are also game options in this menu as well, and the option to save your progress.

The Verdict

Posted Image

You can truly tell that Ultimortal has put in a number of years work into this game, because the game is beautifully polished and touched up. The characters in the game are very likable, and the story drives the game. Unlike most indie games, this game displays how time consuming and hard it is to create a captivating game, with all the elements a great game should have. This is a great example to all independent game developers out there. This is, without a doubt, a "must play" game!

Story 10/10

Gameplay 9.5/10

Sound 10/10

Interface 9/10

OVERALL

9.5/10

Edited by zarley11, 27 May 2010 - 10:00 PM.

#2 element_boy6522

element_boy6522

Your Awesome Friend

• 418 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

Excellent review! Excellent game! Its an honor to be the first who comment on this review.

5/5 :lol:

#3 samglo

samglo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

Great Review and Great game, this game is simply amazing, You have summed this game up really well, and you couldn't of picked a better game either :unsure:

#4 cred13

cred13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

Brilliant in-depth review! I agree on several points.

#5 B Factory LLC

B Factory LLC

We're awesome!!

• 511 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

Yes, Igi is a very good game and the only one that I have downloaded.

Excellent review - you told it exactly how it is and you left nothing out. Kudos to an excellent review.

#6 MrEvil178

MrEvil178

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

Pretty good review, I can see why you and many others like it. It's really in depth and explains each point very clearly. It would have been cool if you commented on the design of the game (like how enjoyable the levels were, did it get fustrating at any point, any stand out moments). I'm not a huge fan of the game personally. I didn't really like the characters that much and the gameplay felt a bit clunky to me. The soundtrack and graphics were very awesome though.

#7 zarley11

zarley11

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

Pretty good review, I can see why you and many others like it. It's really in depth and explains each point very clearly. It would have been cool if you commented on the design of the game (like how enjoyable the levels were, did it get fustrating at any point, any stand out moments). I'm not a huge fan of the game personally. I didn't really like the characters that much and the gameplay felt a bit clunky to me. The soundtrack and graphics were very awesome though.

I try not to give my OWN opinion of the game, since some people would argue differently. I like the game, as you can clearly see, and I reviewed it also based on the glory it has gotten since 2008

#8 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3969 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

I was wondering when someone was going to get round to reviewing this, you did it justice with your review.

#9 njp

njp

Panda

• GMC Member
  • 2340 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

this game is almost good enough to
just slap in some HD textures and graphics
and sell it commercial. i would pay 5$ for that

#10 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1160 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

I'd pay 30 for it as is.

#11 MasterMind007

MasterMind007

MasterMind Prod.

• GMC Member
  • 543 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:52 PM

I saw that game in a magazine (PC Play), and I played it. It is great!

10/10

#12 masterm

masterm

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1055 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

the zip file contains errors...

#13 MasterMind007

MasterMind007

MasterMind Prod.

• GMC Member
  • 543 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

I downloaded it and it has no errors.

#14 Brawl

Brawl

Magnitude Games

• Local Moderators
  • 1195 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:49 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't like this game...

~The graphics are ok. They have almost no AA and everything is very flat.
~The gameplay is average.
~And the story is good.

I think it gets more of a 3.5/5 But with it having no errors and being a complete game I will give it a 4/5.

But that is just my personal opinion. I can see other reasons that people like it so much.

#15 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

~And the story is good.

I think it gets more of a 3.5/5 But with it having no errors and being a complete game I will give it a 4/5.

But that is just my personal opinion. I can see other reasons that people like it so much.

Hm... did you finish the game? How far did you play?
If you DID finish the game you probably didn't find any secrets :3

But I don't know how people can say that a game like this is not so great o_o

#16 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:24 AM

It's possible that someone might overlook the story completely, and just think that the lack of mid-air shooting and the slow horizontal speed makes you feel powerless. Others would see those as qualities that balance the game, and give it strategic elements (like no running and shooting in RE5). So there are definitely ways people could hate the game.
A friend of mine said he didn't like it, but he only got to the first boss. I tried to force him to play more and convince him that he'd get into it. Oh well. I even have a friend who wouldn't play Super Mario Galaxy. o.0

I think Iji is a masterpiece though, and the review does it justice. I might even give the gameplay a 10/10, unlike the review, because it's so focused and it works so damn well.

#17 Brawl

Brawl

Magnitude Games

• Local Moderators
  • 1195 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

~And the story is good.

I didn't ever finish it. I just go bored after the first 5 minutes. Just walk a bit shoot a few bullets, Walk some more.
It is probably better then I think. But a game should hook you in from the start. IT started off way to boring so I never felt like finishing it.
But I might go back and finish it later. Just to see what I am missing. Then I can better judge the game.

#18 zarley11

zarley11

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

~And the story is good.

I didn't ever finish it. I just go bored after the first 5 minutes. Just walk a bit shoot a few bullets, Walk some more.
It is probably better then I think. But a game should hook you in from the start. IT started off way to boring so I never felt like finishing it.
But I might go back and finish it later. Just to see what I am missing. Then I can better judge the game.

Trust, you're missing out on a LOT. But if you don't like A-RPGs then probably this game isn't going to be your cup of tea

#19 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:45 AM

Iji does have a slow start, so some gamers might not like that; but it picks up and fares well. The story makes the game exciting and gives it a great edge, making you want to play on. As said, the beginning is slow so not everyone will like it.

Based on your criteria, I give it...

Story 8/10. Good, but has some holes, like the Tasen leaving their Home (called Origin - funny name, no?), which is Earth. Realistically, this couldn't of happened (no structures from them were ever left on Earth).

Gameplay 7.5/10. Again, well thought of and contains no errors, but the AI's stupidity to walk backward and forward makes the game seem unfinished (also, the AI will follow you if they know your there, but even if your a level above them... somehow, they still know where you are 'exactly'; so they can look through floors?)

Sound 10/10. A strong point in the game. All sound effects were mastered, and sub-voices (people randomly saying something) was added to make it even better. No flaws here.

Interface 6/10. The HUD is user-friendly, but contains a lot of detail, and takes up the entire bottom of the screen.

OVERALL

8/10.

A decent game which, with a little refinement, can become a big commercial seller.

#20 zarley11

zarley11

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:09 AM

8/10 is an understatement

#21 Reefpirate

Reefpirate

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

This game is the only reason I'm even on these forums... Not just to post this, but also I am learning how to use GM now.

Because whether made in GM or not, this is one of the best games I've played in a long, long time. And I've played a lot of $50 games. By the time I completed this one for the first time, my jaw was hanging open, not just at the utter quality of the thing, but also at the fact that it didn't cost me a single cent. I spent $20 on Splinter Cell: Conviction recently. That game was OK, but as far as I'm concerned, the world would make more sense if SC:C cost me $2 and Iji was more like $20.

People on here complaining about anything in this game really boggles my mind. But hey, I guess you can't please everybody.

P.S. I forgot to mention that the music in the game is FREAKING EPIC.

edit: typo

Edited by Reefpirate, 23 February 2011 - 09:05 PM.

#22 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

Agree. This is the only indie game that is better than some commercial games out there, at some points. In Iji, I think, everything is emotional, everyone fight with their own motives. But, the best part of the game is Iji has a moral choice (to spare or annihilate). That is very rare in indie games.

#23 Zulaan

Zulaan

GMC Member

• 68 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

I tried the game because everyone was saying the game was awesome.

my first thoughts were that the cutscene in the start was alright but I didn't get too interested in the story.
the graphics are alright but the character sucks.

the enemies are pretty much all the same so far in the game, they just walk back and forth and shoot when they see you, you can just duck then shoot and never get hit.

The level design was pretty bad imo, its easy to get lost because everything looks the same.
I havn't played through the whole game yet but I hope the tileset changes.

the cracking and level system was awesome! I loved the weapon combinations too.

The sound's were great!

It felt like the character walked REALLY slow I don't know if you move faster when you progress through the game though.

Overall a decent game but I don't see why this game got so much hype.

#24 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7521 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

Probably because you haven't beat it yet. ;)

#25 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:06 AM

When I played few first levels, I thought this game game is decent. But, when I progress through next sectors the game is just getting better and better (especially when story unfolds). I really suggest you to play this game until the end, and you'll get the hype, trust me :) .

#26 pluckywood

pluckywood

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Anyone know when an update will be available to allow this game to work on windows 7 64 bit?

#27 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

Anyone know when an update will be available to allow this game to work on windows 7 64 bit?

Probably won't.
It was made with GM5.3. There might be an update though.

#28 Water Chicken

Water Chicken

Got it memorized?

• GMC Member
  • 1200 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

It works for me.

#29 mcoot

mcoot

GMC Member

• 387 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

It already does...

#30 commodore swift

commodore swift

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

Agree. This is the only indie game that is better than some commercial games out there, at some points. In Iji, I think, everything is emotional, everyone fight with their own motives. But, the best part of the game is Iji has a moral choice (to spare or annihilate). That is very rare in indie games.

Too bad the gameplay sucks... just sayin'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users