#1 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

Posted Image

This is the beta version of my first Thid Person Action Adventure title "Project Aurora".
I hope you will enjoy this game just as much as I enjoyed working on it!
You can see the final official release here: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=491028

Screenshots: ( Click to enlarge )

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks and leave a comment!

Edited by EanFox, 20 November 2010 - 01:04 AM.

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason.
Science will win because it works." -Stephen Hawking

#2 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:55 PM

This game is real epic. Great graphics, collision checking and story. I see why you won the contest, quite arguably the *best* GM game I've seen by a long shot. Perhaps you should make your screenshots larger.
What program were the models made in?

Edited by luis148, 26 April 2010 - 10:10 PM.

#3 cookie

cookie

GMC Member

• 137 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:06 PM

This is AMAZING, a lot of work has obviously gone into this, I'm stuck on some long jump bit though where the ground falls in if I fall down...

Definitely a recommended download by me for everyone contemplating trying this.

I did it, lol.

Aww, I beat it, good game. (End of demo)

Edited by cookie, 26 April 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#4 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:12 AM

Beautiful. The low-poly models bugged me a bit, since I'm used to cartoony games having semi-low-poly models, but it's still very nice. I'm glad you didn't use cell shading or a black outline.

Also, there's something that's a bit annoying with the first person view--when you moving around a lot then stop and press C, the view is usually off. Sometimes it's off by 100 pixels, sometimes it's off by 180 degrees. Anyways, that's my only complaint--it screwed me up the most when I wanted to shoot but the bullet went away from the center of the reticle.

Anyways, nice! I loved the voice acting--I'm glad you took the time and effort for that than just leaving us in silence.

#5 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

Thank you for the positive comments! I wish i could finish this someday, and if i will, it most likely wont be by using Gamemaker ( Unless they decide to make gamemaker more powerful in future, so it would be possible to support better animation system and just overall have a faster engine. ). I might upload other of my small "Tech Demos that Never Came" in future, maybe i could even post some kind of video, if i find some free time.

Anyhow, Thanks!

"There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason.

#6 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

Awesome! You finally released it! So glad to see it!

#7 cookie

cookie

GMC Member

• 137 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:50 PM

Thank you for the positive comments! I wish i could finish this someday, and if i will, it most likely wont be by using Gamemaker ( Unless they decide to make gamemaker more powerful in future, so it would be possible to support better animation system and just overall have a faster engine. ). I might upload other of my small "Tech Demos that Never Came" in future, maybe i could even post some kind of video, if i find some free time.

Anyhow, Thanks!

Maybe you should try looking into gm-ogre :). Sorry if that comes across sarcastic, it's not, I'm just suggesting to help this project.

#8 Koning Stoma

Koning Stoma

GMC Member

• 128 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

If you want more features for 3d games in gamemaker GM-Ogre or Ultimate 3D would be a good idea.

#9 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:41 AM

This looks promising.

-First thing I notice is lack of fullscreen. I depise playing game not in fullscreen, and this goes doubly for 3d-games.

-Aww, man, clicking graphics options does nothing. :)

-The voice acting is good!

-First thing I notice after the first cutscene thingy is that the mouselook is massively insensitive. It's like, this is pretty much unplayable because of the enormous motions I'll need to just turn 90 degrees. Mouselook sensititivy should always ever without fail be an option. Also, some people like inverted mouselook. I'm not one of them but I'm sure they'd appreciate that too.

-By instinct I pressed escape to enter the options. This booted me out of the game. If there's one default option that should be changed in GM games, it's that one. Preferably to something sensible like Alt+F4.

-This also made me notice that your cutscenes appear to be unskippable. Never assume that a player is only ever going to go through a section of your game once.

-The movement speed sure takes some getting used to. In the second platforming section it's enormously easy to simply leap over the entire column you're supposed to climb onto. Since the game doesn't appear to have support for gamepads and as such analogue movement, might I propose a walk modifier button? (shift is a good one)

-Looking downwards seems pretty useless. I can't use it to look down this shaft because the camera stays in the same spot behind her back no matter what. Might I suggest that looking downwards should move the camera forwards to a certain extent?

-Hm, so shift is already used for sprinting. It's... it's not all that noticable. I supposed Alt or Caps Lock also makes for decent Walk Modifier keys.

-I find the camera to be very disagreeable when I back into a a wall. A common solution to this is to switch to first person while there's a wall close behind the character.

-Oh, look at that. Automatic downlook at edges. That's a nice touch!

-I believe I've gotten to the broken bridge part where I'm supposed to sprint? Yeah, there's a problem: The bridge is still gone after I respawned. Kinda stuck here.

Overall, this still looks promising. The sword-slashing feels right and the graphics are pretty good I think.

Edited by zeddidragon, 28 April 2010 - 12:44 AM.

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#10 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:02 PM

1 -First thing I notice is lack of fullscreen. I depise playing game not in fullscreen, and this goes doubly for 3d-games. Aww, man, clicking graphics options does nothing. :)

2 -The voice acting is good!

3 -First thing I notice after the first cutscene thingy is that the mouselook is massively insensitive. It's like, this is pretty much unplayable because of the enormous motions I'll need to just turn 90 degrees. Mouselook sensititivy should always ever without fail be an option. Also, some people like inverted mouselook. I'm not one of them but I'm sure they'd appreciate that too.

4 -By instinct I pressed escape to enter the options. This booted me out of the game. If there's one default option that should be changed in GM games, it's that one. Preferably to something sensible like Alt+F4.

5 -This also made me notice that your cutscenes appear to be unskippable. Never assume that a player is only ever going to go through a section of your game once.

6 -The movement speed sure takes some getting used to. In the second platforming section it's enormously easy to simply leap over the entire column you're supposed to climb onto. Since the game doesn't appear to have support for gamepads and as such analogue movement, might I propose a walk modifier button? (shift is a good one)

7 -Looking downwards seems pretty useless. I can't use it to look down this shaft because the camera stays in the same spot behind her back no matter what. Might I suggest that looking downwards should move the camera forwards to a certain extent?

8 -Oh, look at that. Automatic downlook at edges. That's a nice touch!

9 -I believe I've gotten to the broken bridge part where I'm supposed to sprint? Yeah, there's a problem: The bridge is still gone after I respawned. Kinda stuck here.

10 -Overall, this still looks promising. The sword-slashing feels right and the graphics are pretty good I think.

1 -Thats something i didn't have time to put in the game because of the lack of time i had for the contest. I might add it sometime in future, but who knows.

2 -Thanks!

3 -I will agree, it is kinda slow, but maybe you can try to increase the speed of your cursor? That may increase the turning speed.
And like i said, i didn't really have that much time, so i couldn't add many features.

4 -Now this is something i must say sorry about, because i forgot to remove this option when i uploaded this version for GMC ( While testing, it was easier to just press escape to exit the game. ). There is a pause meny, i just forgot to enable it - i will fix this problem once i have time to re-upload this.

5 -If you want to know the truth, even though i am able to change everything, this somehow annoyed me, i guess i am kind of lazy, haha. Maybe i'll add this feature when i upload the version with the pause menu enabled.

6 -I was about to include a slow walk feature in the game, but i soon realised the animation i made looked reall, i mean, REALLY bad, i guess i was kinda lazy to make a new one.
I wanted to include a gamepad support, by the way, but it never came, again, because of the lack of time.
Anyways, once you get used to the movement speed, you will jump around like a super ninja! ( I know, because i did :D )

7 -Again, i really wanted to make the camera go around the character in a sphere like movement - that would allow the player to look directly up and down, however, i didn't want to break the whole code i had written for the camera collisions, because i didn't have that much time - i may have made it even worse.

8 -Thanks!

9 -Think logically - if you walk, you may not jump very far, but if you run, you may jump further.

10 -Thanks! The graphics actually ware mostly supposted to be like this. Not only i inspired from the old DOS-3D games, i also wanted to prove that graphics don't make the game, and i did - most of the other games at the contest had much more superior graphics than Project Aurora ( The games ware good too, don't get me wrong ).

Again - Thanks!

#11 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

5. Think logically - if you walk, you may not jump very far, but if you run, you may jump further.

I am dumb and were not actually at the broken bridge part at all. I were at the long, burning shaft a couple of rooms before that and didn't notice I could climb the ledges at the side. Naturally, sprint-jumping did me little favours here.

So, actually got to try out the combat now.

Fighting was kind of easy. Just spamming the attack button while hopping from side to side will pretty much do it for you. Then again, just running backwards in a circle and shooting away at the enemy will also, in fact, do it for you. I trust there will be enemies worth a damn later. Oh, you won't be actually continuing this. :)

Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#12 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

I got some free time and made a small update, here are the changes i made:

- The pause menu is back from the grave.
- The mouselook is a bit more sensitive now. ( Although i hope to make this changable in the options menu someday )
- You can now skip the cutscenes.
- Updated few of the maps to make some parts a bit easier to understand ( Hopefully )
- Did some changes with the boss fight...
- Other bug fixes and corrections.

Enjoy and leave a comment!

Edited by EanFox, 29 April 2010 - 07:03 PM.

#13 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:35 AM

You have created the best and most epic 3d GM game yet, well done!

I do wish you would add a fullscreen option, and a saving feature (didn't seem to find any save points)

Otherwise, this game looks very promising, never give up on it!

#14 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

You have created the best and most epic 3d GM game yet, well done!

I do wish you would add a fullscreen option, and a saving feature (didn't seem to find any save points)

Otherwise, this game looks very promising, never give up on it!

He did have a fullscreen version when he entered the competition (and let me try out previews of it) :P I am pretty sure he will add it in soon.

#15 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

Ok......

How do I get past the level after beating the dog-looking robots? - I can't jump across the gap...and I tried going from the side....

Any ideas?

#16 Advokara

Advokara

GMC Member

• 116 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

If I can remember the game right... that Gap is Jumpable... its just so precise its annoying. Lol... but its possible. I've talked to the creator himself. Its possible... (if I'm thinking about the right part)

Current Project: Craftbox Version 0.5

#17 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

Ok......

How do I get past the level after beating the dog-looking robots? - I can't jump across the gap...and I tried going from the side....

Any ideas?

Read the first post please. =)

#18 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:11 PM

Oh yeah, I did sprint, but still didn't manage to make it, though I was very close, maybe it really is just precise and annoying....

Edited by magma24, 03 May 2010 - 03:11 PM.

#19 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:12 AM

Ok, I managed to get past it!

I kept going until the first boss (he is like the dog looking robots, only green and silver), I have to say that defeating this boss seems near impossible, I can't even manage to finish half of him off, any tips?

Edited by magma24, 07 May 2010 - 08:12 AM.

#20 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Either running backwards in circles while shooting at him or spamming the melee-attack while stepping from side to side should do it. The combat isn't really any trouble at all.

#21 ChaosMaker

ChaosMaker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 289 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:51 PM

O.O
OMG,
This game is amazing
prof; Mark Overmans must be so proud.
You're doing an amazing game.
=D

#22 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:17 PM

Even when I sprint I am still getting owned by that bondage bridge!

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#23 element_boy6522

element_boy6522

Your Awesome Friend

• 418 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

Mediafire sux. Use www.upurload.com ;)

I wasnt able to download because of mediafire :P ... But it looks AMAZING on the pics.

Edited by element_boy6522, 11 May 2010 - 05:56 PM.

Posted Image

#24 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:00 PM

Is this game still in production? Someone said in a previous post that itīs not, but no-where in the original topic do you say itīs not... although you do use "enjoyed" which is past tense and therefore infers that itīs not going any further.

That would be a shame as this is one of the most outstanding projects Iīve seen in GM... Itīs a sci-fi Tomb Raider and has almost the same level of quality as the original PS1 version!

Edited by Mark13673, 11 May 2010 - 06:00 PM.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#25 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:04 PM

Hey, thanks everyone!
Am i working on the game? Yes and No.
I may give you another or two updates, but it most likely won't be finished on GM, due to the fact i really want this to be fully voiced, with a lot more animations, it would have cutscenes, as well as a full soundtrack and a lot of other stuff. Now, you can do that on GM, but the game would eventually get bigger than 3 GB or so, compressed it wouldn't be that much, maybe around 200 Mb, but still, GM is not very good for this job, even with 3D Wrappers/Extensions like Ultimate 3D, GMOgre or Xtreme 3D.
What i'm saying is, that i most likely wont finish this on GM, but i am working on the project.

#26 DarkFalzX

DarkFalzX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:35 AM

This is quite amazing for a GM project - proof positive that with the right talent a quality 3D title can be made even using the limited Game Maker capabilities. In fact - I absolutely love the plain pseudo-flat-shaded look, it reminds me of the awesome arcade Starblade and Cybersled, though the gameplay is somewhat reminiscent of Burning Rangers.
Maybe it's just my lack of adaptation to the PC gaming key layout, but the controls felt clunky and un-ergonomic - I could live with them for the duration of the demo, but if I had to deal with this setup for an entire game - that'd be painful.
The camera functioned sufficiently well, except for instances when I backed toward a wall (which was whenever I was running and shooting at the drones), then the camera swung up, completely breaking my aim and temporarily disorienting me, usually ending in some cheap hits.
The drone AI is annoying and kind of boring - they just charge you, without even attempting to act interestingly. I'd suggest reducing their advancement speed, and adding some strafing movements.
When I was fighting the green drone - he disappeared - possibly fell through a wall, so the game could not proceed.

Otherwise - totally awesome though!

HW5P7IN.png and iOdNkOP.png

#27 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Hey guys, i have a little update. For anyone to clear things up, i will continue giving you some updates with more levels and improvements etc, but i won't finish the actual game, at least not on GameMaker.

The next update will have some of this stuff:
  • Better Camera
  • Improved graphics
  • More maps
  • Various bug fixes
  • Corrections

Thanks!

#28 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

I've just completed the beta, and I have to say, very impressive work!
I liked the gameplay, the game felt smooth and the graphics were pretty cool aswell. The voice acting was a nice touch too.
Only downside was the HUD, which didn't seem to fit the graphical style of the game.
Another thing was the camera, which did a good job until I got cornered while fighting. The camera started zooming in and spinning so I couldn't see a thing.
But overall your cameraman worked just fine.

An impressive 3d GM wip, and actually one of the few 3d GM projects which plays and eyes great.
Keep up the good work,
TobiasNL

Edited by Tobias(NL), 15 May 2010 - 04:08 PM.

Posted Image
-Click the image for both the download & topic
Visit my homepage [Aquarel Games.tk]

#29 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hey guys - a little update here. Well, not much of an update regarding downloadable content, but that will come soon!
So here's some stuff I've already done:

• A functional settings menu
  • Improved enemy AI
  • Vehicles
  • Various bugfixes ( This never ends, haha )
  • Possible speedup - i have improved some of the code, but no idea if it actually works that much faster
  • More rooms
  • Improved Animations
  • Added animations ( yay )
  • I'MA FIREING MAH LAZOR!!!
Posted Image

Edited by EanFox, 15 June 2010 - 09:35 AM.

#30 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:15 AM

please continue this project!

2h2fg3c.png

#31 icicle.flame

icicle.flame

CyntaxGames

• 283 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:58 AM

dang... DANG!!! This game is amazing. The animations are epic (if a little low-poly) and the controls are fairly easy so access. All gameplay elements are there and there's lot's of cool features programmed in here...
Such as:
Shift+W+Ctrl+Space=EPIC!!!
Also the grabbing ledges in a nice feature

Anyways. I got stuck in a room I went down a hallway right after I saw the sky and these two guys dropped down from the ceiling. I killed one of them and the other one seemed to have dissappeared. Seeing as I didn't killed both guys the door wouldn't let me out.
You should continue working on this for sure.
xD,
~IF~

:Secret Weapon (secret game):
:Programming: [][][][][][][][][][]
:Spriting: [][][][][][][][][][]
:Storyline: [][][][][][][][][][]
:Sounds: [][][][][][][][][][]

:Awsomeness:[][][][][][][][][][]

Posted Image .

#32 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

there's lot's of cool features programmed in here...
Such as:
Shift+W+Ctrl+Space=EPIC!!!

Are you sure you're not being sarcastic? haha

Anyways. I got stuck in a room I went down a hallway right after I saw the sky and these two guys dropped down from the ceiling. I killed one of them and the other one seemed to have dissappeared. Seeing as I didn't killed both guys the door wouldn't let me out.

It's possible that the other enemy jumped through the door and fell into the infinity. I have actually fixed this problem for the next release by improving the jumping detection for the enemy AI and they actually collide with the doors now ( No idea why I didn't put that there in the first place... )

You should continue working on this for sure.
xD,
~IF~

I hope to release a new version sometime soon, it will feature a whole lot of fixes and extra features. Not only you will be able to save your game settings ( Such as fullscreen/windowed mode or inverted mouse Y movement ) but also save your game progress. The next version will also feature a vehicle that you'll be able to actually use.

Edited by EanFox, 19 July 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#33 nokards

nokards

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:06 AM

I hope to release a new version sometime soon, it will feature a whole lot of fixes and extra features. Not only you will be able to save your game settings ( Such as fullscreen/windowed mode or inverted mouse Y movement ) but also save your game progress. The next version will also feature a vehicle that you'll be able to actually use.

Heh, I can only learn from you. :rolleyes:
So, how is the project going on? Can we hope for some new version shortly?

#34 varuks

varuks

GMC Member

• 982 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:35 PM

Nauri, You should post the fact that you earned money to the topic about GM games and profit.
All human life is equal, true. But not all humans are equal. Some through their stupidity become less superior than others through their wisdom...

#35 Kay-P

Kay-P

GMC Member

• 203 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

Just chiming in to say that this game is sweeeet! ^_^

More levels! I need more levels!

[edit]yeah it works on windows 7 =)

Edited by Kay-P, 07 September 2010 - 10:18 AM.

#36 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hey everyone, I know you've waited a long time for an update [sarcasm].
So theres nothing new to download yet, but I have some good news, however, I've joined another Game Development competition with this project!
This means you'll actually finally get to play a finished 3D Third Person Action Adventure game made on GameMaker!
You can expect it to be released here in around November.

Want to help?
I am in a need of a female voice actor!

Soo yeah, keep posting and if you'd like to help, just send me a message!

Thanks!

#37 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:29 AM

And why doesn't this game have more comments? It is simply amazing! Did you do this in D3D, or did you use something like GMOgre, or U3D? I would be completely shocked if you used the built in 3D with GM, but the graphics just look like that is what you used.

Either way, this game is exceptional, and was a ton of fun to play. Dang, I wish the demo wasn't so short, maybe I'll play it again. :P Ok Ok... ratings.. right:

Graphics: 7/10 - They are good, and they fit, but it does seem a bit empty. They don't need to be all that much more detailed, but perhaps just little things in the rooms for decor. (Even uneven-ness on the floor would help)
Sound: 10/10- Sounds were perfect, I was impressed with the voices, that really adds to the game, and the music completely sucked me in.
Controls: 9/10- Good, I liked the combinations for acrobatics and whatnot, though I didn't like using the ctrl key as it is just low enough to pull my finger off the "A" key which makes dodging in that direction difficult., but other than that, great.
Gameplay: 10/10- Wish there was more! Thoroughly enjoyed every moment of the game, lots of fun, it looks like it will be an interesting story. The AI was good, could use a little improvement (as you could run in circles shooting them, but the sword was more fun. :P ), perhaps a simple surrounding system would make it better as their combat itself was great.

I can't wait until this game is finished, I would love to play the full thing, free or otherwise!

Bugs:
Only noticed one, the first time I got to the boss I got his health down about 1/5 the way, accidentally blinded myself with the wall and when I looked up he was gone. Health-bar was still there, but the boss was nowhere to be seen and I had to start over.
Speaking of camera issues, my word talk about frustrating. Overall good camera, but in those tight spaces it was impossible to see where you were! That first part when you have to jump onto a box then across a small gap with the wall behind you, it was difficult not to run off the edge 'cause you couldn't see. Dnow what you could do to fix problems like that, as overall it wasn't too bad, but it was a slight pain.

Anyway, again, great game, can't wait till the final, grats on a project well done.

EDIT: Just as a side note, dnow if it is important or not, FPS appeared solid as I noticed no jerkiness or lag issues at all.

Edited by Scyler_27, 25 September 2010 - 12:39 AM.

NEWS FLASH! You can't get to heaven by your works. No chance. Hopeless. Give up now. No amount of works will get you anywhere, in fact all your efforts have been botched years ago because you already missed perfection the first time you lied, stole, or performed any of those other lovelies.

That said, do you want to go to heaven? Not the hellish picture given by cartoons. You know, the nightmarish one where you are renting a cloud and harp? I mean, holy crap, where did that come from? I am talking about a bonafide city, people, designed by God no less. Heck, read John's Revelation 21 if you want details. Getting to heaven is extremely simple, actually, the how and why is spelled out in Paul's letter to the Romans, summarized in Romans 10:9,10. God lived a perfect life and died in your place, covering every one of your mistakes and failures past and future. All you have to do is believe that He did what he said He did and accept the gift. Bam, you're saved. Done deal. Complicated, no? Questions? PM me.

#38 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

And why doesn't this game have more comments? It is simply amazing! Did you do this in D3D, or did you use something like GMOgre, or U3D? I would be completely shocked if you used the built in 3D with GM, but the graphics just look like that is what you used.

Either way, this game is exceptional, and was a ton of fun to play. Dang, I wish the demo wasn't so short, maybe I'll play it again. :P Ok Ok... ratings.. right:

Graphics: 7/10 - They are good, and they fit, but it does seem a bit empty. They don't need to be all that much more detailed, but perhaps just little things in the rooms for decor. (Even uneven-ness on the floor would help)
Sound: 10/10- Sounds were perfect, I was impressed with the voices, that really adds to the game, and the music completely sucked me in.
Controls: 9/10- Good, I liked the combinations for acrobatics and whatnot, though I didn't like using the ctrl key as it is just low enough to pull my finger off the "A" key which makes dodging in that direction difficult., but other than that, great.
Gameplay: 10/10- Wish there was more! Thoroughly enjoyed every moment of the game, lots of fun, it looks like it will be an interesting story. The AI was good, could use a little improvement (as you could run in circles shooting them, but the sword was more fun. :P ), perhaps a simple surrounding system would make it better as their combat itself was great.

I can't wait until this game is finished, I would love to play the full thing, free or otherwise!

Bugs:
Only noticed one, the first time I got to the boss I got his health down about 1/5 the way, accidentally blinded myself with the wall and when I looked up he was gone. Health-bar was still there, but the boss was nowhere to be seen and I had to start over.
Speaking of camera issues, my word talk about frustrating. Overall good camera, but in those tight spaces it was impossible to see where you were! That first part when you have to jump onto a box then across a small gap with the wall behind you, it was difficult not to run off the edge 'cause you couldn't see. Dnow what you could do to fix problems like that, as overall it wasn't too bad, but it was a slight pain.

Anyway, again, great game, can't wait till the final, grats on a project well done.

EDIT: Just as a side note, dnow if it is important or not, FPS appeared solid as I noticed no jerkiness or lag issues at all.

Thanks!
Yes, I used pure D3D to build this.
In the final release ( which is comming soon, by the way ) you won't have to do the acrobatic moves in the training stage, but I won't remove them completely.
I have fixed many bugs already, and hopefully they no longer will find you, instead, you could find them! ( ZING! )
It's great to know, that you didn't have any issues with the framerate.

So thanks for the review and stay tuned for the final release!

Edited by EanFox, 25 September 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#39 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

(Mostly just bumping this up to front page)

Well I am impressed you were able to use D3D, make it look this good, and do it without lag. For doing the acrobatic moves, so are you keeping them in the whole game even though they won't be in the tut, or are you going to be adjusting them? (They had to be one of my favorite parts, specially when fighting. :P )

Also, is the final release going to be a full story with more than an a few hours of gameplay, or will it be a short game that can be finished relatively quickly?

NEWS FLASH! You can't get to heaven by your works. No chance. Hopeless. Give up now. No amount of works will get you anywhere, in fact all your efforts have been botched years ago because you already missed perfection the first time you lied, stole, or performed any of those other lovelies.

That said, do you want to go to heaven? Not the hellish picture given by cartoons. You know, the nightmarish one where you are renting a cloud and harp? I mean, holy crap, where did that come from? I am talking about a bonafide city, people, designed by God no less. Heck, read John's Revelation 21 if you want details. Getting to heaven is extremely simple, actually, the how and why is spelled out in Paul's letter to the Romans, summarized in Romans 10:9,10. God lived a perfect life and died in your place, covering every one of your mistakes and failures past and future. All you have to do is believe that He did what he said He did and accept the gift. Bam, you're saved. Done deal. Complicated, no? Questions? PM me.

#40 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

(Mostly just bumping this up to front page)

I am kind of disappointed, I hoped to get more comments. Few years ago this might have been at the top every day.
Guess my game just sucks, hahaha.

Well I am impressed you were able to use D3D, make it look this good, and do it without lag.

Thanks!

For doing the acrobatic moves, so are you keeping them in the whole game even though they won't be in the tut, or are you going to be adjusting them? (They had to be one of my favorite parts, specially when fighting. :P )

I won't remove them, you just won't have to do them in the tutorial anymore.

Also, is the final release going to be a full story with more than an a few hours of gameplay, or will it be a short game that can be finished relatively quickly

Well, unfortunately it won't be too long, maybe about 20 - 40 minutes long. This is because I have to finish this until November ( Thats the deadline - the GameDev contest won't wait for me. ). But yes, the game will have it's story and it will have a real ending ( so you won't be left with a "Thanks for playing this Demo" screen anymore ). I hope to work on a sequel in the future actually, but we'll get to that some other day. =)

Thanks!

#41 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:54 AM

Guess my game just sucks, hahaha.

Why do you lie sir?
Posted ImageLinx~

#42 Drathro

Drathro

GMC Member

• 891 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:08 AM

Your game is amazing and should be continued. DO IT!!!! NOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!! XD

Be Prepared! MUSIC MAN IS COMING.

#43 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

Update!

See the first post

Changes:
  • Improved camera
  • More rooms
  • Bufixes
  • New hud
  • Working settings menu
  • Cutscenes
  • Ability to turn the main character naked!
  • And a lot more stuff!

download below

http://www.mediafire...c77o7gnvcl7k2#2

Edited by EanFox, 10 October 2010 - 09:34 PM.

#44 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:12 AM

Hurra an update! I can't wait to try it. Would you mind changing hosts? I have been trying to download for over 2 hours and every time I try it says "No servers are currently available with the requested data on them."

And wow, just under 100mb? What did you do that doubled the size? Posted Image

#45 Drathro

Drathro

GMC Member

• 891 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:16 AM

Download worked great for me, but there was a minor problem: it has the extention .rar_ to actually be able to access the files, you have to remove the "_" from the extension. Great update! Looks even better than before! Got stuck though.. maybe a glitch??? I ran down a hallway in the new section and I didn't kill all of the enemies before entering the next door. The door closed and locked, and then NONE of the other doors in the next room would open. Not even the one hidden away up high... Glitch or am I just an idiot???

Edited by Drathro, 11 October 2010 - 01:16 AM.

Be Prepared! MUSIC MAN IS COMING.

#46 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:08 AM

Wierd, yeah still isn't working for me. Chrome and Firefox give that error above, and IE simply sits there as if it is loading, but does nothing at all, even after a few minutes of waiting.

Perhaps you could create a mirror so for those who it doesn't work for have an option for this version? I really want to try it out, this game is lots of fun. Posted Image

EDIT: Hm... the other links (previous version) work fine, it is just the new one. <_<

EDIT2: Aaand, roughly 4:30 hours later it works! Yay. Though I still think I mirror would be good. When I am done I will leave my opinion on the update. :D

EDIT3: Well.. somewhat disappointing... What happened to all the voices? The players voice is gone, both while playing and in the cut-scenes. That both got rid of the relational feel (like you were following an actual person instead of just a player-controlled entity) and completely removed the story that captured me in the other demo. (also it helped with figuring out to do, like getting the card key, not that you can really get lost) Also, the alert voice when things start blowing is gone. Bummer... I hope you plan on re-adding those.

Ok for the rest of it, glad we finally got to hear from doctor Ean, so what WAS the story, continues. I loved the water, and water-involving area, no complaints on the scenery. (Heh, I was impressed that the bushes even moved when you touched them) I liked the cutscenes, especially the one with the flaming plane, the slow motion was cool.
Did you improve the AI? They seemed like they moved about a bit more. The updated graphics were very nice, and I noticed the player movement was a little easier. (Like sliding without needing to run for example, unless I just missed it last demo)
"Helper" is more of a jerk now, instead of helpful. Posted Image Though with the removal of most of the tutorial, he seems rather unnecessary. I personally preferred the old intro with helper, but that is just me. (Also, his old voice sounded more robotic than the current) I think a LITTLE more explanation of controls are needed, as it took a while to figure out how to change weapons, and I wouldn't of had a clue about the health buttons on the wall if I didn't already know. Speaking of which, it was a good idea to slow the guns firing rate down, and I loved the new gun as well as the cleaner HUD.

Had no big problems with the new camera, it was easier to get spun around because of the slight 'wobbly' feel, but no biggie. Oh yeah, spider things, made me jump, wasn't expecting them in that first hallway. Posted Image

Anyway, I am loving the gameplay update as well as the graphical update, though I am really missing the voices as that is truly what made the game so involving. Not to say it isn't interesting without them, the gameplay is fun enough, but you sort of butchered the intrigue and involvement with the story itself when you removed them.

Well those are my two cents. Nice work on the engine, smooth as butter and I am still throughly impressed with this game.

Edited by Scyler_27, 11 October 2010 - 03:55 AM.

#47 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:44 AM

Wierd, yeah still isn't working for me. Chrome and Firefox give that error above, and IE simply sits there as if it is loading, but does nothing at all, even after a few minutes of waiting.

Perhaps you could create a mirror so for those who it doesn't work for have an option for this version? I really want to try it out, this game is lots of fun. Posted Image

EDIT: Hm... the other links (previous version) work fine, it is just the new one. <_<

EDIT2: Aaand, roughly 4:30 hours later it works! Yay. Though I still think I mirror would be good. When I am done I will leave my opinion on the update. :D

EDIT3: Well.. somewhat disappointing... What happened to all the voices? The players voice is gone, both while playing and in the cut-scenes. That both got rid of the relational feel (like you were following an actual person instead of just a player-controlled entity) and completely removed the story that captured me in the other demo. (also it helped with figuring out to do, like getting the card key, not that you can really get lost) Also, the alert voice when things start blowing is gone. Bummer... I hope you plan on re-adding those.

Ok for the rest of it, glad we finally got to hear from doctor Ean, so what WAS the story, continues. I loved the water, and water-involving area, no complaints on the scenery. (Heh, I was impressed that the bushes even moved when you touched them) I liked the cutscenes, especially the one with the flaming plane, the slow motion was cool.
Did you improve the AI? They seemed like they moved about a bit more. The updated graphics were very nice, and I noticed the player movement was a little easier. (Like sliding without needing to run for example, unless I just missed it last demo)
"Helper" is more of a jerk now, instead of helpful. Posted Image Though with the removal of most of the tutorial, he seems rather unnecessary. I personally preferred the old intro with helper, but that is just me. (Also, his old voice sounded more robotic than the current) I think a LITTLE more explanation of controls are needed, as it took a while to figure out how to change weapons, and I wouldn't of had a clue about the health buttons on the wall if I didn't already know. Speaking of which, it was a good idea to slow the guns firing rate down, and I loved the new gun as well as the cleaner HUD.

Had no big problems with the new camera, it was easier to get spun around because of the slight 'wobbly' feel, but no biggie. Oh yeah, spider things, made me jump, wasn't expecting them in that first hallway. Posted Image

Anyway, I am loving the gameplay update as well as the graphical update, though I am really missing the voices as that is truly what made the game so involving. Not to say it isn't interesting without them, the gameplay is fun enough, but you sort of butchered the intrigue and involvement with the story itself when you removed them.

Well those are my two cents. Nice work on the engine, smooth as butter and I am still throughly impressed with this game.

Thanks for the review!

Well, making a mirror shouldn't be too hard once I get some free time.
The reason I removed Shade's voice is because:
  • I couldn't contact the old voice actor.
  • I couldn't find any new female voice actor!

But you shouldn't worry too much about Helper's voice, it's still in progress.
The reason why I cut the tutorial level so short is because at first this wasn't intended as a real release.
So don't worry, the Tutorial level is going to be finished, helper's voice will be updated and you may get a new mirror! ...Eventually.

Thanks!

Edit:

Got stuck though.. maybe a glitch??? I ran down a hallway in the new section and I didn't kill all of the enemies before entering the next door. The door closed and locked, and then NONE of the other doors in the next room would open. Not even the one hidden away up high... Glitch or am I just an idiot???

Glitch or an Idiot? Neither! xD
Thats actually where this demo ends, sorry for not telling. =)

Edited by EanFox, 11 October 2010 - 07:46 PM.

#48 CloverGruff

CloverGruff

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

----Unwanted Post----

Edited by EanFox, 11 October 2010 - 02:50 PM.

#49 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

Looking awesome as usual man! Love all the new levels and such!

#50 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:46 AM

umm how do I get outof the water, jumping isnt allowed

2h2fg3c.png