Variable Jumping Vs. Double Jump.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aquaspartan

Aquaspartan

GMC Member

• 40 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

I've been reading through different threads and a lot of people prefer variable jumping over the classic one tap jump. In my platform game I have a double jump system and the second jump is an integral part of the game. Does anyone think it would be worth making the first jump variable if the second jump isn't going to be?

Edited by Aquaspartan, 26 April 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#2 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1636 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

I think this can work well. It makes sens to me to have a second jump without gradual, but it would help to have a different jumping animation (like the player flipping).

If it's worth making gradual jump depens on your game, but it's often better. However if double jumping take a so important part of your game, you might not really need it. In Ghouls N Ghost, there's no gradual jumping and you don't even have control during jumps! It's all about planning your double jumps and it's fun as hell.

#3 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

Why don't you just try it and see for yourself instead of making a thread in which people theorize about it?
It's what, 5 minutes worth of coding to find out?

#4 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 7267 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

I've been reading through different threads and a lot of people prefer variable jumping over the classic one tap jump. In my platform game I have a double jump system and the second jump is an integral part of the game. Does anyone think it would be worth making the first jump variable if the second jump isn't going to be?

You can have both jumps gradual: just add this in the [release jump key] event.
if(vspeed < 0){vspeed = vspeed*0.5}
Cutting vspeed in half makes you stop moving upwards smooth and swift at the same time. I personally love to have controls that actually give you control over what happens in the game, and variable jumping is a key here. Try designing levels where you actually can jump longer if you don't jump as high as you can (hitting a ceiling from below mid-jump sets your vspeed to 0, which makes you fall down the next step; to clear this jump you need to fly by just below the ceiling without touching it. Oh, spiky/lava ceilings makes this work pretty well as well. But players more often underestimate things that won't hurt you directly.), a good example of this would be Chapter 4-2 of GIR's WTF Story, which has some really tough jumps where releasing the jump button at the right time is the key to success.

EDIT:

I need a girlfriend who's last name doesn't end in .jpeg

Change that to
"I need a girlfriend whose name doesn't end in .jpeg"

Who's means who is, and if you write "last name" it's much harder to make a pun about filename.

Edited by Yal, 26 April 2010 - 01:03 PM.

#5 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5797 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

Eh, everyone knows *.png has better quality anyways. ;)

Now for the question: I'd like to have variable jumps for both. Gives you even more air control, and I hate not having air control when jumping; especially when jumping multiple times.

#6 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7524 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

You can have both jumps gradual

And this has been done, and it worked to what I've seen.

I'm talking about An Untitled Story, both jumps are gradual and it "works" in my opinion.

#7 Kyon

Kyon

Creator of Dirkels

• GMC Member
  • 4241 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

You can have both jumps gradual: just add this in the [release jump key] event.

if(vspeed < 0){vspeed = vspeed*0.5}

And what at key hold event?
Just vspeed getting lower? (vspeed=-4 or something?)

#8 Aquaspartan

Aquaspartan

GMC Member

• 40 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

Who's means who is, and if you write "last name" it's much harder to make a pun about filename.

Thanks for the English lesson lol ;)

Why don't you just try it and see for yourself instead of making a thread in which people theorize about it?
It's what, 5 minutes worth of coding to find out?

I don't care how much I like it. I'm not the one playing the game. I just want to know what other people think. It's not a big deal. If it's a waste of your time to reply then don't reply. :P

I think I'll try double variable jumping and see how it goes. Thanks for the opinions guys!

#9 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1602 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:01 PM

Go for double variable jumping. You get more control out of it, and takes more skill to master a double high-jump, because now you have to time the top of your jump twice. If you've got Super Smash Brothers, play as Mario, and while jumping, use Up+B. The jump is non-variable, and it just doesn't feel normal. I suggest you try all the characters and compare how easy they are to control vs. the type of jumps they use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users