NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:15 AM

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Wvft6Q3NGwQ

Remaddening, the sequel to madnessMADNESSmadness (and shortened preferrably to either Rm or just mMm2), builds off the original in several ways. It incorporates changes that were necessary from the start and frequently suggested.

Firstly, the graphics have been smoothened (though not changed). An overlay is used to make the colouring of the walls completely smooth, and each block is drawn with double the triangles to reduce the cornery bits where roundness should have been.

Instead of a single looping level, there are now three variants of it - Classic (the unaltered original), Easified (the wall starts off slower and the level is easier, with less spikes, less holes and more leeway), and Hardened (tons more spikes and requires a huge level of agility to perfect). On top of this, No Backsies is a mode where you only control your jumping, the level you are given requires no backtracking, you move right automatically and the wall is going at the same speed as you at all times.

Finally, something much requested on mMm - there is a procedural generation mode. This is done carefully to ensure nothing is impossible; nevertheless, it's entirely randomised, unpredictable, and works smoothly and effectively. It is also a continuous generation - it doesn't make some level then loop it, it simply creates as you follow its path and removes itself when done with.

An NTP-esque colourisation tool is included to give it a little graphical variety, allowing you to modify the colours of all the items in-game. This is automatically saved and your game will reopen the same colour if you decide to replay.

The game is tied together with an easy to use menu system, which displays an eight-line poem for each of the five game modes as well as individual highscores for each, the link to colourisation, and a page showing all the button shortcuts.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy the game if you decide to give it a shot, and if you want, leave some feedback down below. It's all, of course, appreciated, read and taken into account. Thanks!

Links: YoYo Games | Game Jolt | Website w/online highscores (Size: 8.6MB)
Version: 1.4
Made In: Game Maker 8.0 Pro

Screenshots
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by NAL, 25 April 2010 - 11:06 AM.

Posted Image

#2 jalb

jalb

Joshua Brookover

• GMC Member
  • 629 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:57 AM

A pretty good follow up, I must say. I really liked the colourizer, the soundtrack, and the generator. I totally sucked at No Backsies, but had a blast as I failed each time. :P

Great additions to a great game. Keep up the awesome work. :)

#3 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

No Backsies is definitely hard but certainly it's possible to complete at least one loop (I've managed it). Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the feedback :D

Posted Image

#4 daniel_kings_gm6

daniel_kings_gm6

GMC Member

• 97 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

Really nice game, as I stated on the YoYo Games instant play thing..
Disliked some music though ^^

Anyway, I completed them all, and about no backies, yea.. I guess only one lap is possible? ^^
CODE
e = 0

for(i=0; i < e; i+=1){
           e+=1
}

YAY ^^ http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=470937 Rainbow Galaxy, my newest game

#5 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

... ... ...Amazing. Game. Yet again. MMM 2 is just as awesome as the original! Perhaps even more so, the colorizer was a really great feature(though I just changed it to classic colors cuz they are cool). Awesome sequel NAL. Though I didnt like some of the music, I'll still give you:
10/10 Brilliantly done.

InvaderX.gif

#6 Exwhyzed

Exwhyzed

The Perfect Pedant

• 656 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

I didn't think such a marvel could get any better. I mean, mMm came out of nowhere, and I didn't think it would lead on to anything, let alone something of this magnitude. Seriously, this is amazing. I hope you make this into a trilogy, because the idea is completely revelutionary.
Posted Image

#7 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

Glad you all like it so much :chikin

As for a third, I've currently got no plans for one. Maybe in the future though.

Posted Image

#8 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:27 PM

Just a quick bump to mention a few changes that have been made to Remaddening today.

The most major is the addition of online highscores. There are tables for each of the five game modes so they won't get mixed up or anything.

A minor glitch where you jumped back a wee bit when you landed from a jump or fall, most noticeable in No Backsies as it meant you could never achieve much more than one lap, is now fixed.

The screen shake has now been removed. It existed as a mask to the problem above, as landing always made the screen jolt and was kinda annoying. It's no longer needed so has been ditched.

Procedural Generation is tweaked to be slightly better. It looks a little better and the generation itself is less erratic - straights are more common now.

There are also a couple minor changes not really listworthy.

It can be downloaded from the first post. If you downloaded it before you may receive a hacking error upon first run - this shouldn't repeat with subsequent plays.

Posted Image

#9 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

Got to top\near the top of most hi-score positions :medieval:
I have a complain about the mode when you cannot walk left: there is a part of map that looks like the following:
________
______XX
_____XXX
_____XXX
____XXXX
____XXXX
____XXXX
XXXXXXXX
(Just before the end of level)
It is impossible to pass it without loosing distance. If it wasn't there, it would be possible to pass the level once without loosing any distance to wall.
If my posts contain broken links, try looking around my website. I gradually make blog posts for any examples I make.
_.png_.gif

#10 Squirmonkey

Squirmonkey

GMC Member

• 343 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:41 AM

This is pretty neat, although I really do miss the post-mortem poetry from its predecessor.

--Squirmonkey

Edited by Squirmonkey, 03 May 2010 - 02:41 AM.

#11 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:23 AM

I like this a lot! I haven't played the original, though I like the different game modes in this version. What I like best about this is the innovative "wrap around" of the level - it plays like a platformer in polar coordinates. Also, the simple, geometric graphics really appealed to me. My only complaint is that the game became often hard and punishing, though I suppose it fits for this type of game.

Nice game,

~ Theta games

#12 Bleckie

Bleckie

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

Really good game, even more difficult than mMm itself..
anyway, Ive just made a video to show you how to manage Hardened mode:

Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2sl3mfOOxUc

By the way, I am pretty sure that JakobMaxCh from Classic mode highscores is cheater.. I used to play mMm with no "to wall" loss.. 2k+ score was not a problem.. but this game is much more difficult and 326s is max for me..
to reach 797.38s, he propably used some macro sequence, because it really is not possible to do it normal way..

Edited by Bleckie, 07 May 2010 - 03:37 PM.

#13 Bleckie

Bleckie

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

Bump

No Backsies:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kAO9gU0vyyU

#14 deathzero021

deathzero021

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:25 PM

it offers a lot more then the original, in fact it completely replaces it. yet not enough was added to make it feel like a real game still. all the same problems still exist. the awkward level design isn't pleasant at all. not to mention one mistake and you lose. only mode i felt improved the game was No-backsies, it was just a little funner for some reason... i dunno why.

#15 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

It seams like if you have no name and you submit the scores online, you show up with a different name (it called me Rmer). You might want to fix that.

#16 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

It seams like if you have no name and you submit the scores online, you show up with a different name (it called me Rmer). You might want to fix that.

That's not a glitch, it's a function.

Posted Image

#17 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:03 AM

Aha.
I am guessing that it means "Remaddeninger".

The game is incredibly interesting; it kept my attention for almost a hour. All modes except the easy one (and the classic one probably) are challenging and paceful. Keep up the good work!

#18 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

Aha.
I am guessing that it means "Remaddeninger".

The game is incredibly interesting; it kept my attention for almost a hour. All modes except the easy one (and the classic one probably) are challenging and paceful. Keep up the good work!

Hey, McClusky I DLed the editable from your site and I want to practice getting better at smoothing out graphics. (3D too) But do you have any tips on how to smooth out the chunks?
This is ALOT smoother.
Posted Image

#19 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

If I knew this existed before, I would've played it ages ago. I did a lap of everything, then went for the procedurally-generated levels. I gotta say, they're very fun. They're not too easy, but are always possible. I have no idea how you would code something like that.
The game was addicting and very polished. One of the best GM games.

Edited by skunkchop, 25 August 2010 - 02:57 AM.

#20 mrpeanut188

mrpeanut188

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:18 AM

If I knew this existed before, I would've played it ages ago. I did a lap of everything, then went for the procedurally-generated levels. I gotta say, they're very fun. They're not too easy, but are always possible. I have no idea how you would code something like that.
The game was addicting and very polished. One of the best GM games.

As i said I DLed number 1. It is a simple platformer with the X value going round(x) and abs(x).
So he goes if instance_to_object to check jumping distance. Not that hard.
Posted Image

#21 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

I got to 43.95 seconds in no backsies then fell in the first hole.

Oops.

#22 mironic

mironic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=op9wkYhK3GE

you should make it harder... because i can play in pitch black and survive for awhile on every mode :P
my projects:
Epsilon of Light OXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 3% done (Creating story line i need Tiles and characters pm me.)
Epsilon of Light Online XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 0.5% done
i had a side project wich is finished for now
Virtual Farm:100% complete with updates every so often
LINK: <a href="http://www.yoyogames...tual-farmer-v1" target="_blank">http://www.yoyogames...l-farmer-v1</a>

Champion of Remaddening
http://remaddening.f.../nobacksies.php
Watch everyday as i get first on the highscores
except for Classic... stupid hackers...