8 replies to this topic

#1 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

You could say this is the finished version for the contest, but technically, I still intend to make a more refined version which does not follow the contest rules. Would have put more stuff in, but ran out of space and time. But this was what I ended up with to use for the contest.

The game is a bit of a cross between Doujin Curtain Fire Shooter: Project Shrine Maiden, by Shanghai Alice, and 90's On Rail Shooter: Starfox 64, by Nintendo:

Posted Image

Stuff You Should Know:

Rules of the game:
----Shooting System: Lock-on is automatic
----Primary Weapon: to use Primary Weapon, do not press or hold "Z".
----Secondary Weapon: To begin Lock on with Secondary Weapon, hold down "Z" to launch, release "Z".
----Support Weapon: This will fire regardless of which mode (Primary/Secondary) you are using.
----Flight: Fly around the screen with the four directional Keys.
----Pause: Press Escape to Pause the game.

----Pick Ups:
---- ---- Red: Increase your power, getting 35 will raise your power level.
---- ---- Green: Will raise your Extension Ammo.
---- ---- Blue: Will raise your pick-up-point score.

----Score: Score is divided into different Categories

---- If you play in Hard mode you can reach stage 4 otherwise you can only reach stage 3.

Note: "Laser" or "Energy" weapons will go through enemies, anything else is a shell weapon, and will not go though enemies.

----Set Up
---- ---- Style
---- ---- ---- Normal: Moderate Speeds and Armor.
---- ---- ---- Nimble: More Speed, Less Armor.
---- ---- ---- Rough: Less Speed, More Armor.
---- ---- ---- Nasty: High Primary Speed, No Normal Speed, Lots of Armor.
---- ---- ---- Crazy: Primary and Secondary Speeds are both High Speed, Low Armor.
---- ---- ---- Broken: Low Primary Speed, Super High Secondary Speed, Low Armor.

---- ---- Primary
---- ---- ----Rifle: Triple-Shot Rifle, moderate damage, high accuracy, long ranged lock, small lock size.
---- ---- ----Laser Rifle: Stream Shot Rifle, good damage, moderate lock range and size, moderate accuracy.
---- ---- ----Machine Gun: Constant Fire, low damage, low accuracy, big lock size, low lock range.

---- ---- Secondary
---- ---- ----Missile: Max Lock 6, Medium Lock Time, Good Damage, Homing Feature.
---- ---- ----Lock Laser: Max Lock 20, Great Lock Time, Large Lock Size, Low Lock Range, Low Damage.
---- ---- ----Rockets: Max Lock 6, Slow Lock Time, Best Damage, Best Accuracy, Small Lock Size, Long Lock Range.

---- ---- Support
---- ---- ----Shell: Primary Mode: Shoots at single target, Secondary: Shoots at all locked on targets.
---- ---- ----Energy: Continuous Beam, Primary: focused, Secondary: wide, no lock system

Lock Type: Defines The shape and sight of your lock on box.

Extension: Extra material, for the most part automatic, unless you chose Backwards Booster, to activate Backwards Booster, double tap "Z"

Other things you should know:

--The story is fake, I just kinda put words in between levels to test stuff. In the non contest version the story will be real different.
--Ahem, this is supposed to be hard. This is a game that requires a bit of practice, so don't feel bad if you die.

You could probably say, the contest version of this game is a demo of the real game, the real game will be over 10 megs, have a better screen res, and full screen mode, more music, stages will be roughly 3 times longer, and will have a total of 7 stages. In addition there will be two kinds of handicap modes: Slow-mo, and unlimited lives.

Again, remember: THIS GAME IS HARD! It's not some Nintendo walk in park, so don't go around saying "It's too hard." The idea came from the idea of Japanese Doujin Curtain Fire Shooters, which are a bunch harder then my game

Example of Crazy Doujin shooter Project Shrine Maiden: http://images.tabula...5/l/danmaku.jpg

Link To Bullet Life Download:

Bullet Life

Edited by Saijee, 06 April 2010 - 11:05 PM.

#2 pure_evil020

pure_evil020

GMC Member

• 1479 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:17 AM

pretty cool game! :) from what I see, it is a pretty origional Idea too. I never seen a game like this on gmc!

it needs maybe a bit more of a touch up like you said, but so far, it is quite good.

I'l give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Improve maybe on weapons gfx, and collision gfx a bit.

#3 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:11 AM

pretty cool game! :D from what I see, it is a pretty origional Idea too. I never seen a game like this on gmc!

it needs maybe a bit more of a touch up like you said, but so far, it is quite good.

I'l give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Improve maybe on weapons gfx, and collision gfx a bit.

You didn't like the player bullet graphics? I actually was kinda proud of that part. By the way, what do you mean 'collision gfx'?

#4 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:43 AM

This is actually really fun. It's hard to know what I'm meant to be doing during the boss fights.. I just shoot generally in the bosses direction and hope I hit something vital.

I'm not sure what those boxes do, I presume there some sort of powerups. I got a few more of those twirly shooty things, but I have no idea how I did that. Perhaps some sort of text showing up at the bottom as a clue?

It was hard to judge where the enemy bullets where relative to me, and a lot of the dodging was 'guess' work, really.

But otherwise, really enjoyable, fantastic little game! Glad to here your going to continue working on this even after the competition, and I'll look forward to that, and finding the time to beat this version. :D

#5 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:27 AM

This is actually really fun. It's hard to know what I'm meant to be doing during the boss fights.. I just shoot generally in the bosses direction and hope I hit something vital.

I'm not sure what those boxes do, I presume there some sort of powerups. I got a few more of those twirly shooty things, but I have no idea how I did that. Perhaps some sort of text showing up at the bottom as a clue?

It was hard to judge where the enemy bullets where relative to me, and a lot of the dodging was 'guess' work, really.

But otherwise, really enjoyable, fantastic little game! Glad to here your going to continue working on this even after the competition, and I'll look forward to that, and finding the time to beat this version. :D

Heh, I've heard before that people are confused about boss fights, I'm thinking that I'll try to solve that with guidance graphics/text.

Right now, the boxes don't do a hole bunch, the red ones will make your power level go up, which gives you more twirly shooty things, though I'm planning to make the blue ones give you extra lives when you get enough of them, the green ones give you ammo. Like said earlier though, the final version will be a lot better explained.

I've heard about the distance problem too, from some of the beta testers that just tried it out recently, I'm thinking I might try to use "fog" to help make it more clear what is close and far. But for the most part, the idea is that after a good amount of practice, you will start to comprehend it better...

The way I see this in relation to the contest, is that the contest rules only allow one to present enough to be a demo for a good game. Therefore, the final version for the contest of this game is basically a demo of the real version, which will allow me to be more realistic about PC games, and use DLL's and a realistic screen res. Just knowing that the contest rules are hindering my game's overall performance motivates me to make it clear that I can do better then this.

#6 jarcon

jarcon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

WOW this game is alot of fun! It highly reminds me of Star Fox 64, which I think is what you were going for(atleast the genre). I really hope this game gets up there, I know for sure you'll be getting an honorable mention if not place. Perhaps its just my biased love for the genre, but... I love it! Good luck in the competition, I can't wait for the complete version.

#7 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

Here is a screen shot of the non contest version, showing off the new HUD:
Posted Image

In other news, I've added a life system, so no more game overs on the spot, and I've added a bomb system so you can do awesome stuff.

And I have been working on adjusting difficulty, easy mode will be fun for all kinds of gamers, normal for those who have gotten bored of easy, and hard mode for the extreme players.

#8 GfxRippersSuck

GfxRippersSuck

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 121 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

Please:

- change the controls or give us the possibility to change the shoot button
- the Gabber music is annoying and cheesy, change that too

Apart from that it's a good game.

Edited by GfxRippersSuck, 15 May 2010 - 08:33 PM.

#9 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:26 AM

Please:

- change the controls or give us the possibility to change the shoot button
- the Gabber music is annoying and cheesy, change that too

Apart from that it's a good game.

The controls issue was because it was originally following the contest rules, its free of that now though.

Also, your the first to not like the music, but the real game is going to have some Jump Style music, and some Speed Core, and maybe a little bit of EXTRATONE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users