11 replies to this topic

#1 Kindred

Kindred

Pixel Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1199 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

pxtone is a free music editor suite written by Pixel, the creator of Cave Story, that comes with several tools for creating chiptunes and chipsounds. It also supports creating music from WAV sound files much like a regular music tracker.

Posted Image

pxtone comes with its own DLL for plugging into games to allow them to play pxtone tune files. However, it is incompatible with Game Maker in its natural state. pxtoneGM fixes this problem by providing an interface for Game Maker to use pxtone with little hassle as possible.

Click here to download pxtoneGM v1.0.0.0

:) Known issues
I'm aware that while moving the pxtoneGM player window the music fades out. This is because I'm using a work around to get the current playing sample through the pxtone_fadeout function. There is no function in pxtone to just obtain the current sample. I believe it was implemented this way to just allow pausing and resuming the music (it is for games after all, not a music player). I'm not really concerned about the player anyway. It's just an example so that you can hear some wonderful pxtone tunes in Game Maker.

:mellow: Where do I get pxtone tune files?
By making them with pxtone. pxtone has only been around a few years and has yet to be finished so it doesn't have a very big userbase yet -- especially not an English-speaking one since the program is by a Japanese developer. It is almost impossible to find any pxtone tunes by themselves on the net. That said, Pixel's site links to various sites that share pxtone tune files publicly.

pxtone can be downloaded by the music note icon on Pixel's website next to 2008.

;) Licensing
pxtoneGM is released under a GPL license.

I believe Pixel asserts that there is no limitation on pxtone's use but asks politely to attribute him for his work. To do so he asks for you to use the banner he provides, pxtone.bmp, in anyway you like. Don't take my word for it though because my Japanese isn't very good. His original statement in Japanese can be found in the pxtone_include folder of pxtone in ReadMe.txt.

Until next time, live dementedly.

#2 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

Great, but if you try closing the game without stopping the music, it will give an error.

#3 Kindred

Kindred

Pixel Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1199 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:46 AM

Great, but if you try closing the game without stopping the music, it will give an error.

The clean-up functions need to be called before ending the game, otherwise pxtone crashes with a release WAVEMAPPER error.
if (pxtone_isplaying())
	pxtone_stop();	   // Stops the music
pxtone_tune_release();   // Frees the loaded tune from memory
pxtone_release();		// Releases pxtone
pxtone_deinit_wrapper(); // Frees the plug-in from GM

#4 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

Okay, but your example is the one that gave me that error. <_<

#5 Kindred

Kindred

Pixel Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1199 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:30 AM

What operating system are you using? I don't get any errors on Windows XP.

#6 jobro

jobro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:32 AM

This is pretty massive stuff! I found where you can download the PxTone suite:

http://buzinkai.net/PXTone/tutorial/ Please note that the tools is in japanese, and I am not aware if there is any english translations.

Marketplace.png

#7 Kindred

Kindred

Pixel Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1199 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:48 AM

I am not aware if there is any english translations.

If you download the suite from Pixel's website (click the music note icon next to 2008) and then delete Japanese.ico, pxtone will display everything in English.

#8 jobro

jobro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1300 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Oh! That solved the problem. Thanks. Now suddenly I understand clearlier how to create some noises with this suite.

I have years of insight in synth programming, so I figured you wanted some advice regarding ptVoice.

It isn't that hard. Left side handles the waveform, the right side handles the envelope. The A/B button toggles between wave A and B. Pretty good to fade wave B into A to give a richer sound.

Waveform tweaks

Editing waveforms is really a piece of cake, nothing to worry about.

Basic mode

Move the cursor over any handle, it lights up and you can move it by clicking and draging it. Notice as you drag the handle the other sliders below respond to the new position. Click anyway inside the waveform to create a new handle. This mode is perfect for 8bit waveforms.

Auxilary mode

This is a bit more to think about but it is not too much. This mode lets you generate sounds through addative synthesis. You have a bunch of sliders below the waveform. Drag one to affect that partial. A partial is a sinewave with a specific frequency above the ground frequency, this tool has 31 so called partials. Move the sliders anyway to alter the waveshape. The sound is a bit more rounder, a bit more tamer than the other mode. This is btw the way old hammond organs is creating it's sound per se. Want to mimic early 16bit sounds then this is the way to go.

Volume envelope

This works just like the basic waveform editor, scroll up to read. No difference at all.

I hope you understood my short tutorial.

Edited by jobro, 09 April 2010 - 09:19 PM.

Marketplace.png

#9 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:45 AM

I must say, I'm impressed. I remember I recorded orgyana files as WAV to get them into my games before I discovered Milkytracker and the appropriate DLLs, thinking something like this would never get beyond the dream state...

Something I'd like some more information on, though, is how to implement these things in Game Maker... I don't have GM8 but rather use GM6, but I guess I could somehow get the scripts I should import out of the GMRES file. But, those DLLs? I assume both of them should be placed in the folder of the game, but I'd like to have your word on that.
And one more question, do I have to use the Source files to compose Pxtone files since there are no EXE in the download (meaning I have to download it from Pixel's homepage, which I'll check out after submitting this post)? With no real experience of coding (apart from GML), I can barely tell a .h and a .cpp apart, and I assume other people have the same problem.

It feels like those subjects could do with some more elaboration.

=============
Anyway, thanks for making one of my dreams coming true! :)

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#10 score_under

score_under

Least kawaii

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:07 AM

Modified binary:
http://dl.dropbox.co...neGM player.zip

This one has an added function to get the current sample position, meaning you don't have to fade out all the time.

Edit: OP's link doesn't work. Entire package, containing original, modified, and original source:
http://dl.dropbox.co...oneGM-1.0.0.zip

Edited by score_under, 03 August 2010 - 10:47 PM.

Anti-Decompiler for GM6.1 to GM8.1.91! :GM8_new: [Main skin by Sindarin]
Discontinued.

decimal2.png
^ Signature image because it's been sorta empty since the old host died

If you need to contact me, I still get notification emails from PMs.

#11 Forester

Forester

The One And Only Enragement Cat

• GMC Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

The link doesn't work  :confused: 

This is what i get from dropbox:
Error (509)

This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

gg guys - wp

Forester.jpg
soundcloud - twitter - facebook - ask.fm - advc

#12 Razon

Razon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:44 AM

Here are mirror links for both files that were posted in this topic.

pxtoneGM-1-0-0-0.zip (original full package)

http://www.mediafire...t5uybygi7ytad83

pxtoneGM player.zip (some modified files with added functions by score_under)

http://www.mediafire...pwmh2bs6wgr3vv4