43 replies to this topic

#1 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

Posted Image

Enter the world of Blackfoot, a world a little bit smaller than you may be used to. Take the role of one of nature's greatest assassins in this Platformer RPG. Play as a weasel as you work to hunt down 4 of your prey animals, but look out for other woodland creatures as they may attack you on sight. Sneak around the world and only attack those you have to, while always keeping your final goal in mind.
Visit the Website!

Gameplay:

Play through 4 action packed levels where you must collect 10 eggs hidden throughout the stage and kill your prey at the end of the level. The eggs are very hidden and it will take you multiple runs to be each level. But do not fret, as long as you kill your prey with any number of eggs, you will be rewarded with experience! Level your weasel at the menu screen by adding Jump, Acceleration or Speed. Be aware at high levels, acceleration becomes less important for making crucial jumps. Hide in holes/caves to make creatures no longer see you or to allow your prey to pass with you unnoticed.

Now with Achievements!

Controls

Up - Jump
Left, Right - Run, Wall Jump
Down - Duck, Hide, Fall off wall.
Space - Attack
P - Pause

Tip: By holding down and quickly wall jumping, you can do a fast push off useful for going down trees/holes.

Trailer:

Posted Image

Coverage:

Free Indie Game of the Week Award - Bytejacker.com

Continue Review

Pixel Prospector

Jay is Games

ByteJacker

GMTalk 3

Rincon Indie(Spanish)

Fuxter(Russian)

Play Indie Games (Portuguese)

CasiolVidados (Spanish)

Jeux Video (French)

Credits:

Game by Daniel Fornace (Graphics, Programming, Design)
Music by John Avarese
Sound Effects by George Rogers

Tips:

This is not a game that you will beat in one sitting. You are also not going to be able to speed through it. The game is most fun if you save often and come back to it. It will take a while to get used to a level and find all the eggs. Make sure that you try to get experience every run as that will make the levels easier. If you are having great difficulty with one level, then try doing a previous level for experience then coming back. If you can beat the game then post a screenshot of your Menu screen with your weasel's level and your setup!

Winners

Zeddidragon
BENJAMUS

Screenshots

Posted Image

Download:

Download Page
Better for playing and saving the game locally.

Yoyogames Link
Comment here as well and wish me luck in the competition.

Donate Page
Donate Money to Support!

-Dan

Edited by Dan The Man, 02 January 2011 - 08:48 PM.

smashland-siggy.gif

#2 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

I totally hope you place.

#3 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

Haha me too. Right behind Ruined and CowboyKilla. Man I hope platformers take this one by storm, otherwise I may be out of luck =P

-Dan

Edited by Dan The Man, 01 April 2010 - 05:46 PM.

smashland-siggy.gif

#4 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

Well, I'm stunned.

The graphics are pixel art. Like, I could put this in a frame and hang it on my wall. It's amazing! You really nailed the colour scheme and the animations are nice and fluid. The sound effects, though sparse, are used well and the soundtrack is good.

I'm only basing this from about ten minutes playing the first level as I haven't yet found all of the eggs.

The core concept is kind of oddly executed. You follow your prey to the end of the level and then kill him there. Why can't you kill him anywhere else along the road? It's hardly a deal-breaker, of course. It's just a different way to handle giving the game a time limit and it works if you don't think too hard about it.

I approve of the physics and haven't yet found any bugs. Controlling this ferret is a joy.

You definitely deserve placing.

Edit: Alright, beat the first stage! I think it's kind of odd that the rabbit stops moving if he's in the end-streak with you. It would be a lot more intense if you had a chance to fail in the end as well.

Moreedit: These competition entries are just packed with saving errors, aren't they? I used the "save"-option in the level select menu but the game hadn't saved at all and now I'll have to start over. The game did save when I tried using the "back"-option, but loading that save gave me three "error reading real"-errors in a row.

Actually, that seems to have brought up the save-file I had earlier? I... I don't get it. Still getting a load of "error reading real"s though.

Edited by zeddidragon, 01 April 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#5 TheMordeus

TheMordeus

The Dark Lady

• GMC Member
  • 1540 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:27 PM

This sure is a goodlooking game, but I dont really like the concept of having to find every single egg. Its pretty fun the first time around, and I managed to get past the first level on my third try, but the second level just felt overwhelming. Since its all looking pretty much the same, its next to impossible to remember where you've been, especially if you've played through the same level multiple times. Eventually it just got frustrating and I quit.

I think this game would have been much more appealing if you either didnt have to find all the eggs, or if the eggs you took the previous try was already taken on the next try. I also found the whole tree climbing system a bit chunky. I never felt as if I had total control over my avatar, and I fell down quite alot.

This game feels like an unpolished diamond. It has some really nice sides to it, but also some really ugly ones. I've always thought that you should prioriteze gameplay above everything else, cause in the end, thats what makes people play a game. I hope you'll come back to this, and make it a bit more "user friendly".
Posted Image

#6 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:26 AM

Well, I'm stunned.

The graphics are pixel art. Like, I could put this in a frame and hang it on my wall. It's amazing! You really nailed the colour scheme and the animations are nice and fluid. The sound effects, though sparse, are used well and the soundtrack is good.

I'm only basing this from about ten minutes playing the first level as I haven't yet found all of the eggs.

The core concept is kind of oddly executed. You follow your prey to the end of the level and then kill him there. Why can't you kill him anywhere else along the road? It's hardly a deal-breaker, of course. It's just a different way to handle giving the game a time limit and it works if you don't think too hard about it.

I approve of the physics and haven't yet found any bugs. Controlling this ferret is a joy.

You definitely deserve placing.

Haha thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the graphics and enjoyed your first plays through! I hope I get a placement. Also, I understand what you mean by the core concept being a bit tough. As I developed it, it seemed great and fun, but it slowly moved away, and became a kind of racing and memorization game, where I was often hittng P then restart in frustration while missing a jump haha. I wanted a kinda high stress, high speed, skill based platformer where you felt a nice feeling in your stomach as you sat with 10 eggs waiting for your prey. I see that you kinda got that, but you also saw it as just a time limit.

Edit: Alright, beat the first stage! I think it's kind of odd that the rabbit stops moving if he's in the end-streak with you. It would be a lot more intense if you had a chance to fail in the end as well.

Moreedit: These competition entries are just packed with saving errors, aren't they? I used the "save"-option in the level select menu but the game hadn't saved at all and now I'll have to start over. The game did save when I tried using the "back"-option, but loading that save gave me three "error reading real"-errors in a row.

Actually, that seems to have brought up the save-file I had earlier? I... I don't get it. Still getting a load of "error reading real"s though.

OK @ the first edit. Thats funny that you bring that up actually. In my original game design plan, when you first attack your prey, it starts a short animated fight where you have to hit Space at the right time or your prey gets away (or even worse kills you). I had this in my final plans all the way until 1 week before the competition end, when I had to replace it with a simple single attack. Animating 4 fight scenes would take time I just didn't have and it had to be scrapped. I see why you would have much more fun actually fighting at the end.

@ Moreedit: Hm.... how were you playing the game? My save files only work locally I believe, and may not work in the temp folder at all, nor on yoyogames instant play. If you did download it, then I'm stumped. I'll try testing on a few more computers to see if I can get the same error, but on Windows 7, I have yet to come across that error =(.

Also thanks for the play and actually reviewing the game!

This sure is a goodlooking game, but I dont really like the concept of having to find every single egg. Its pretty fun the first time around, and I managed to get past the first level on my third try, but the second level just felt overwhelming. Since its all looking pretty much the same, its next to impossible to remember where you've been, especially if you've played through the same level multiple times. Eventually it just got frustrating and I quit.

I think this game would have been much more appealing if you either didnt have to find all the eggs, or if the eggs you took the previous try was already taken on the next try. I also found the whole tree climbing system a bit chunky. I never felt as if I had total control over my avatar, and I fell down quite alot.

This game feels like an unpolished diamond. It has some really nice sides to it, but also some really ugly ones. I've always thought that you should prioriteze gameplay above everything else, cause in the end, thats what makes people play a game. I hope you'll come back to this, and make it a bit more "user friendly".

Thanks for the compliment on the graphics. I had some guidance on Animal Animation from watching footage and a few books, so my first few weeks of the competition were spent researching haha.

As for you problem with the eggs, I do agree with you that it is a bit annoying to have to get all the eggs each level, but I wanted the game to have longer gameplay. I wanted to make it so you had to find where all 10 eggs were while trying to level up until you developed your own path for collecting all of them. It would be a much faster game if your eggs stayed, and the leveling system would not be as important.

I'm really sorry about your frustation with level 2. I should switch the design of it with level 3 and just make level 3 not require as high of jumps. But since you happened to storm through level 1, it may have made level 2 even harder as you may notice that if you level up and put stats in the right spots then you begin to have more control of your weasel. My friend played the game and leveled up only jump on level 2 so he didn't have to wall jump very much. He then waited until level 3 to level up other stats.

But i do agree that the whole experience could be a bit more user friendly. I do want to fix up a few things for sure and upload a final version after the competition where I fix many of the problems and try to make the weasel control better. I guess I was teetering on the edge between too short and too frustrating and I got a little too close to frustrating. I hope you do save your weasel and come back as the next two levels are not as wall jump heavy, and the last level is a pure race!

-Dan

I look forward to reading more comments!

smashland-siggy.gif

#7 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

@ Moreedit: Hm.... how were you playing the game? My save files only work locally I believe, and may not work in the temp folder at all, nor on yoyogames instant play. If you did download it, then I'm stumped. I'll try testing on a few more computers to see if I can get the same error, but on Windows 7, I have yet to come across that error =(.

I directly downloaded it from the direct download link, and using Windows XP. The save file actually loads just fine if I just mash the ignore button on the error messages but it's kind of annoying. Do you use any other files than just the local save-file? 'cause I think that's actually a no-no for the competition.

I think I'm a bit more masochistic than Mordeous because I really liked having to hunt down every egg before being allowed to proceed. It's probably from my time playing Earth Defence Force that I'm used to, even taking a liking to, failing over and over again until I hatch and execute the perfect plan or grind for upgrades.

The wall-jumping is definitely kind of odd to pull off, but like you said just putting points in jump should fix that.

Edit: All right! I did the second stage at level 4. It become a lot more convinient with eight points in jump but I was really only held back by not finding three particular eggs.

Whoa, stage 3 is really upping the ante. This place is a goddamn maze!

Moreedit: Aww, now that's just mean! I can't even get to the tenth egg before I get to a high enough level, can I? You'd need a certain amount of speed an jump to reach it, as well as the acceleration to reach that speed. Guess I'll be getting all the other 9 in one run until I ding, then.

I found a collision-related bug. If you crawl into those round rocks you've got placed around you'll sorta get stuck. You get out of it just fine by just going in a crawl again but it seems like he shouldn't have gotten up in the first place, you know?

Evenmoreedit: I still find it hilarious that the prey will stop at the end even after they've seen you. It's like "Ohmygodhesgoingtokillmesomebodyhelpsome-
SNACK BREAK!"

Iamaneditoholic: Bagged one badger. Onto the next robot master prey. Other than that final egg the third stage seemed a lot easier than the second one. Probably a combination of me having higher stats at that point and the distinct lack of those ****ing birds. Those birds were ******s.

Edited by zeddidragon, 02 April 2010 - 11:47 AM.

Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#8 deathzero021

deathzero021

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

lmao loved the trailer, voice was ridiculous and the dramatic music was funny but it showed a lot about the game and that's good.

i'm downloading it now, looks great. i'll be back with feedback =P

EDIT:
great graphics, animation, music and concept. a little too difficult though, the controlling was very quick, sliding all over the place and falling, very strict. good luck on the competition though ~4/5~

Edited by deathzero021, 02 April 2010 - 01:32 PM.

#9 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:28 AM

@Zeddidragon

Haha, I love that post so much as you are working on the game. I liked that you kept coming back to edit it. My favorite part has to be "Other than that final egg the third stage seemed a lot easier than the second one. Probably a combination of me having higher stats at that point and the distinct lack of those ****ing birds. Those birds were ******s."

I plan on making a site about the game in the next couple of weeks and I will most definitely be using that quote when describing the birds haha.

You better finish the game and take a screenshot of your menu so we can see your final level and what stats you picked!

@deathzero021

Thanks for the comments, sorry it seemed so slippery to you. Some people liked that, some didn't. One reviewer said it made you actually feel like a weasel haha. But either way, if you put your first few level up points into acceleration you should notice a change. I might make a change to the initial acceleration in the final version.

Which brings me to the final version!!

I have decided that a few days after the contest winners are announced, I will be releasing the final version of Blackfoot, which will be optimized for PC play!

Updates include:
1.) Fixed Glitches thanks to the help of zeddidragon and a few others.
2.) Tester Credits, so get your words in now!
3.) Level 2 Re-Balancing.
4.) Achievement System (Hopefully with online integration if you unlock all the achievements)
5.) Introduction Story and Explanation
6.) And maybe some secrets!! (These depend on how long yoyogames takes to announce the winners)

I will be launching the new version with a website, so get your playtests in now and come up with some unique achievements if you have ideas! Lots of room in the credits for Testers!

Here is the kick-off as a sample achievement.

Juggle-Pro

Attack a Single Enemy 8 Times before letting him leave the screen.

Haha its possible!

-Dan

smashland-siggy.gif

#10 Pinpickle

Pinpickle

Abscure Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1353 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

Haha me too. Right behind Ruined and CowboyKilla. Man I hope platformers take this one by storm, otherwise I may be out of luck =P

-Dan

I'll second that!

Nice game you have there, but sadly I'm not really a fan of games with levels that have time limits. If I could go back into a level and the eggs that I had collected previously were already gone, I'd like it a tad more.
Considering I don't like time limits, this a very nice game, lovin' the graphics, I like the music (although the menu theme sounded somewhat generic), fluent platforming as well as appropriate animations to go with it (something you don't see a lot of nowadays) and a great environment to play in with your weasel.

Some tips for your complete version
  • Make eggs that you have found stay found.
  • When the weasel is on something, make it go above the weasel instead of the weasel going above it.
  • Make an option for the upscaling of the screen to use surfaces so there isn't any blurring (but keep this option in as some computers can't handle surfaces).
  • Less slipping? Does the acceleration stat fix this? If so, that's fine and this doesn't really need to be changed.

All in all, good job.
4/5

Edit I change my mind about not liking this game, I'm hooked.

Edited by Pinpickle, 05 April 2010 - 09:17 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

@Zeddidragon

Haha, I love that post so much as you are working on the game. I liked that you kept coming back to edit it. My favorite part has to be "Other than that final egg the third stage seemed a lot easier than the second one. Probably a combination of me having higher stats at that point and the distinct lack of those ****ing birds. Those birds were ******s."

Haha, I'm glad you enjoy reading my posts as much as I enjoy writing them.

I'll see if I can't get you your screenshot by the end of today.

The editfest starts here:
All right, when I started this I was level 6 with 5/9/7 in speed/acceleration/jump. (Acceleration makes the weasel tons better to control. If I'd just put up with not instantly running fast I should probably have focused more on speed and jump)

7 jump doesn't cut it on this stage. There are at least two eggs impossible to reach with that, so I put all of level 7's points in jump and am now at 10. Two more eggs become available and I'm only missing three. One is definitely on top of the cliff to the right but I'll need way more speed and figure out the best ramp from which to jump there. Guess I'm grinding another level.

Pointlessdit: I love how even the snake is afraid of you, by the way.

Ding!: At level 8 now. Gonna put the points in speed, upping it to eight. Hopefully this should let me reach the cliff where I can only imagine that three eggs are waiting for me.

This is an edit: 8 speed is ridonculous! I can just run straight through the porcupines before they even know I'm there! Not birds, though.* grumble* I've managed to jump straight into a bird from the first three twice now. Gawd, they should all be shot!

And so is this: This... this just isn't cutting it. I think I need too boost jump a lot further so that I can do a continuous run through all the trees.

Editsplotion: Alright, trying this with 13 jump. You should really extrend the hitbox on the snake. I keep having to attack him twice because you can't hurt him by clawing at his head, only the middle of his body which seems counter-intuitive.

KHAAAAAAAAAN! So close! I should focus all my chakra stat-points in jumping and I should definitely make it next time.

Ding ding ding!: Gonna see if 16 points in jump will do it. Also: I totally crawl faster than the snake when he's scared of me.
Posted Image
Gah! No effect! I think I reached the cap or something. Guess I'll go for speed instead.

Seven hours later: Next level (11) I got every stat to 10 except jump which is 13. This made me exactly able to reach the cliff which only had two out of the three eggs I needed flat the whuck!? You are a worthy adversary indeed, Dan The Man.

Dah-dah-dah-dah-dah---dah-DAH--DAH--DAAAAAH:
Posted Image
I found the third egg. It was a clever hiding place, but I'm far too versed in collect-a-thon platformers to fall for such a basic trick (for more than three or four tries).

The jumping height didn't seem to change at all after I increased it beyond 13. I'm going to guess the cap lies at 12 and you definitely need that. I'm pretty sure you can get away with an acceleration at 6 or 7 or so but a speed of 10 is essential to make that last cliff jump.

Totally hope you win the compo. It was enjoyable from beginning to end.

Random thought: I've been thinking about how the game would be if collected eggs stay collected. At first I was thinking it'd make the game completely pointless (after all, the time limit is your only enemy) but then I thought about the later stages. There are a few in particular that you absolutely can't get to without the correct stats, which basically amounts to farming eggs for experience. The egg farming is rather enjoyable, actually, because of how fun it is to simply move around as the weasel.

If the eggs stayed gone, you'd need a different way to gain experience. The obvious solution would be to kill other animals but currently the combat is kind of underdeveloped. You already know this which is why the player can't die and all enemies die in one hit. They're obstacles to bypass or overcome, not enemies in the usual sense of the word. It makes the game kind of unique, really.

Perma-removing the eggs would require a major design change, I imagine which I don't think would necessarily make the game more fun.

Edited by zeddidragon, 05 April 2010 - 11:33 PM.

#12 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

@PinPickle. Yeah, I definitely plan on trying a surface way of doing scaling in the final as the blurryness in XP can get annoying real fast =P

But as for making the eggs you have go away, I agree with Zeddidragon that I would have to greatly change the way the experience and gameplay function to get that to work, and I think it would be easier to just add some things and make a few tweaks rather than re-working the whole RPG system.

@Zeddidragon
Congratulations! Haha you are the first person outside my local testers to beat the game!

About the "jump cap.": While Jump is not currently capped at all, it does slowly begin to lose its impact over time so its like a square root curve haha. It never actually reaches a set cap number.

As for about the enemies, I agree that it does give the game a unique play field as you don't have health so your only worry is time. I plan on making achievements for each level where you beat the level without getting hurt =P. That should be a challenge haha.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game and you posted your stats! I see that you were actually level 11 (point-wise) when you beat it, which is better than me as I had to wait til 12 to make the jump =).

Let me know if you have any unique ideas for achievements.
Right now I have:
Killing your prey the first time.
Beating the level in under a certain time.
Beating the level without getting hit by an enemy.
Killing all the skunks on level 3 without killing any other creature

And things like that. I might end up tweaking acceleration so it actually does more. Like if you have a lot of accel then you won't slide at all. I am also contemplating making it so if you hold the down key while sliding then you will stop faster (as if you were holding the other direction but when you stop you won't go on in the other direction.)

But yeah, let me know if you have any ideas for changes/achievements as I'd love to hear what you would change after beating it.

-Dan

Edited by Dan The Man, 06 April 2010 - 06:47 PM.

smashland-siggy.gif

#13 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

Do all the stats have a square-root loss in effect like jump does? In that case I suggest that instead of doing it that way, have it cost more points to increase a stat and have the actual effect the stat gives be linear. This way will be more transparent and should aid the player in their decision on how to level. I expected upping from 13 to 16 in jump would help greatly, but I couldn't actually see any difference at all and as such I feel I wasted an entire level, and thus, five to ten minutes of my time. Kind of a letdown, really.

In either case, making the leveling system more transparent would be good. I suggest the following things added to the level select screen:

-There would be a window in the lower left/right where you see the Weasel. If you highlight Speed you'll see him running at his current maximum speed. Highlighting acceleration would make him go from stop to full speed, turn around until fullspeed and then stop again. Highlighting jump would make him play with a pretty ball. Or jump, I guess.

There'd be a bit of background in the window so that the player would have something to measure against.

-There would be a Confirm button and the statpoints would not actually be applied until this is pressed. You'd be able to see the changes refelected in the Weasel in the window before hitting the confirm button. There would, of course, be either a button to completely undo stat changes you just made or to lower each stat individually.

-That's all, I think. Alternatively, you'd just be taken to a sandbox-area where you could run and jump around to test stat changes before they're applied.

As for achievements, I have these idea:
-Collecting all the eggs on a stage (and hunting the prey) with the lowest possible stats/level. (I think that for stage 1 and 2, this would be level 1 where it'd be level 4 or 5 on stage 3. Not cerrtain with stage 4 but probably 9-ish)
-Beating a level without killing anything other than your prey (this would be eight different achievments: Each stage with and without eggs. Beating a stage like this with all the eggs would of course net your the one for without as well.)
-Killing 10, 100, 1000 and 10000 creatures (last one is kinda unlikely, so ultra-respect/pity for people who get it).
-Beating the developer's (that's you) best times.
-Reaching some kind of place on a stage that's completely ridiculously hard to reach and you'd need, like, level 20 or something for it.
-Killing every different kind of creature from the front (This is probably not possible with the moles, though?)
-Beating a stage with no eggs. (Could be called 'Missed the point'?)
-Killing a prey without being seen by them.
-These are incredibly easy to come up with!
-Beating the game while not putting a single point in acceleration.
-Do 100 walljumps in a row.
-Do 100 walljuimps in a row and still manage to finish the stage with all the eggs. (Might need to balance the amount?)
-After the prey has passed a certain point (probably the first hiding spot available do not let them out of your sight for the rest of the stage.
-Jump straight over your prey without them seeing you (I love doing that!)

#14 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

Real nice pixel art here, definitely worth playing!

#15 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:28 AM

Great game. If it doesn't place, I'll eat my hat.

Also, that trailer made me lol. I was watching it at 2 in the morning, and "Kill With Your Weasel!" made me wake my roommates.

#16 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

So the Special Edition (Post-Competition) Version of this game is not Discontinued!

To be released within a week of the Competition Results. Blackfoot: PC Edition comes with many new features and general usability.

1.) Removing the Signs from the first level and creating a short story that tells you how to play the game when you make a weasel (Can easily be skipped by mashing the Space Key.)
2.) Incorporating the Escape Key as well as the Z,X and Enter Keys in the controls of the game to allow players to hit whatever buttons they feel appropriate.
3.) Added an Achievement System with 25 Fun Achievements! Some are harder than others and a couple may require a new weasel!.
4.) Possible Online Integration for those players with 20 or more achievements to post their names on the future Blackfoot Site.
5.) Acceleration Tweaked allowing first levels to play easier and be less slippery, but don't forget about acceleration now because you'll be sliding around in no time.

Here is a Screenshot of the Achievement Level which can be accessed on the main game menu screen.
Posted Image

I will be updating the topic with the final version when it is done. There is a strong possibility though that online integration will be added later. I hope to make it so you can use your same save files when I do implement it though.

-Dan

smashland-siggy.gif

#17 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:35 AM

graphics look great, i didn't really like looking around for eggs.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#18 fuxter

fuxter

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

hey, Dan The Man,
i got some views from this page. so thanks for featuring my site.

anyway, loved the game and will be wating for Special =)

#19 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

Looks awesome from the screenshots and video.
D-loading now... will edit later.

Edit: Hm... it's an interesting game, but I wish it did not take so many tries to beat each level.

Edited by orange08, 30 April 2010 - 09:44 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#20 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

I, for one, can't wait to have a crack at those achievements. I was worried you'd died for a while there.

#21 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

hey, Dan The Man,
i got some views from this page. so thanks for featuring my site.

anyway, loved the game and will be wating for Special =)

Hey Fuxter. Great site you have going there! Even though I can't read russian, I loved poking around and seeing all the game reviews you had. I'm happy you stumbled across my project!

For those of you looking to check it out, his blog can be found here http://fuxter.ru/
They have reviewed lots of good game maker games so maybe you will find your project!

I, for one, can't wait to have a crack at those achievements. I was worried you'd died for a while there.

Haha, the achievements are all done and implemented currently. Now I am making it so you can track achievements that you are working on as well as a short little introduction story. I am still holding true to my statement that the Special version will be released within 1 week of the competition announcement. I plan on making a small website for it not long after that.

EDIT: It is also worth noting that not only did I use some of your achievement ideas, but even the same title in the case of Missing the Point. I think you'll enjoy some of the other achievements as well. =) And also the new credit screen!

- Dan

Edited by Dan The Man, 03 May 2010 - 08:50 PM.

smashland-siggy.gif

#22 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

Blackfoot Ver 2 is released today!
Play the Competition05 Loser!

I know I promised that this would be released within 1 week of the announcement. But it appears that I got the game up a mere 20 minutes before the announcement which can be found here http://glog.yoyogames.com/?p=871! Success.

Features include:

-Achievement System with 25 new Achievements!
-Acceleration tweaked for lower levels.
-Introduction Story when starting a new game.
-Bug Fixes
-Integration of Escape and Loading Bar

Download Page

I still plan on making some bug fixes soon and possibly releasing a ver 3 with 1-2 more levels for IndiePub's August Competition.

Let me know if you like the changes (Looking at you Zeddidragon!)

EDIT: I think I found out about the problem where errors come up about writing files. It has to do with your current security settings. Try running the game as an administrator or possibly saving the game to a folder where you have full access (like My Documents.) If those do not work, then try adjusting your security for that file (like adding it to a list of exceptions).

Let me know if anyone still gets those errors.

-Dan

Edited by Dan The Man, 11 May 2010 - 09:01 PM.

smashland-siggy.gif

#23 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:59 PM

I shall play this to death!

Sorry man, the administrator thing can't be it as I always use admin access. In addition, the game's already saved in My Documents. However, could it be that the pathname is just too darn long? Also, how does the game handle not being on the C: drive?

I'll try putting the game in C:/Blackfoot and let you know how it goes.

Edit: Aww, man. You didn't even make runner up? :P

Edited by zeddidragon, 11 May 2010 - 11:03 PM.

#24 Aski

Aski

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

Sorry that you didn't even get an honorable mention! Your game was one of my personal favorites.

#25 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:34 AM

I shall play this to death!

Sorry man, the administrator thing can't be it as I always use admin access. In addition, the game's already saved in My Documents. However, could it be that the pathname is just too darn long? Also, how does the game handle not being on the C: drive?

I'll try putting the game in C:/Blackfoot and let you know how it goes.

Edit: Aww, man. You didn't even make runner up? :P

Hey, so I am having trouble finding out where else this error comes from, but it came up on a computer at work so I assumed that. However, with my new achievement system, this error would be very annoying for you as I recall that you had to skip through the errors every time you saved. So until I can figure out how to fix this problem, I have uploaded a version for you that will only save achievements when you save the game with the save button, that way you will only need to see the errors once and you can ignore them like last time.

Saving-Error-Version

I hope this works for you.

Sorry that you didn't even get an honorable mention! Your game was one of my personal favorites.

Haha thanks again. I'm sad too, but I am at a point where I am thinking about continuing game development for IndiePub's new competition or just letting it be complete. I am going to sit on it for a week and then decide which to do. =)

-Dan

smashland-siggy.gif

#26 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:36 AM

This. =/

#27 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:54 AM

Zed, I worry for your inconvenience. Please have a custom version of my game.

Haha, I appreciate it, but it won't be needed:

Achievements save and load just fine. Also, did I report having problems saving before? Because I don't get any errors when saving now. We may be getting closer to the root of the problem.

I'm going to get all the achievements using a new weasel that I'll only put speed in (already have 'Balance is Key' from my previous save. How come the game detected that one fine but didn't give the level completion ones? EDIT: This is false, I was fooled by the bug reported further down). Finished stage 1 in one try now, so now I'm gonna go for making stage 2 with a level 1 weasel.

Edit: If it helps any, the only times I encounter the error is when hitting Continue on the main menu and when selecting a file in the loading menu.

As for the August competition: If it means more Blackfoot, I'm all for it. Since it also means more recognition for Blackfoot, I'm doubly for it.

Let's kick off this editfest: I've got to say, the starting acceleration is so lenient I don't feel like putting points in it at all. Then again, I haven't dinged yet so it might get a whole lot worse when I start pumping the speed.

Appendix: Rookie of the Year! That wasn't so bad once I managed to relocate all the eggs. Had forgotten some of them since the last time I played. I also got Graceful Kill by accident. An iguana tongued me backwards, and on instinct I hit the attack button as soon as I could. Managed to kill a bird while falling.

By the way, the achivements are acting all weird. If I click one and then scroll the list, the ticks for achievements I've done will scroll with me. I could post a video or something of it if you don't get what I mean. In adittion, the achievements won't display those ticks until I click on one.

Also, I'm curious about how you're tracking Stealth Pro. So far I've hidden on a branch above my prey waiting for them to pass and jumped over them forwards without being noticed (had to save time, you know?). I haven't jumped over one from front to back yet, so I'm guessing that's it.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH: HOW COULD I HAVE PLAYED FOR THIS LONG WITHOUT REALIZING THAT YOU CAN WALLJUMP SMPLY BY PUSHING TO THE SIDE?

Epilogue: By force of habit, I'm still using the jump-button while wall-jumping. Oh well. v :P v

Huh: Did you always have footstep sounds? I hadn't noticed those before.

-I've gotta say. I suggested 100 walljumps in a row and you only added an achievement for 50. That was way easy, man. ;)

Modification: Jumping over the prey from front to back doesn't work. Now I'm stumped.

FLAWLESS VICTORY: Done level 1 without taking a hit now. It seems difficult enough to perform that I think doing a level with all the eggs without getting hit should be worth extra experience. It'd make grinding more interesting.

Note: The downwards walljump is massive fun. Has that always been there?

Report: Upping my speed to 10 really did a number on my acceleration. This will be interesting. Also, your achievement tracking system seems to be broken somehow. I enabled the tracking for a perfect victory on level 2, didn't make it, and went to level 3 to complete it instead. The tracking numbers were there when I was at level 3 even though it was supposed to be for level 2. When I completed the level (but not perfectly), I got an achievement for doing so, Now I'm back at level 2 and the tracking numbers are gone. I can't get them back, either. It doesn't really matter. I didn't need them.

Important notice: I hate birds.

PERFECT: Done level 2 without taking a hit now. I imagine level 3 will be easier since there's no flying surprise sex birds there. One interesting thing of note is that since increasing speed will decrease your acceleration, having a high speed will also mess up your walljumping. There was a spot in level I could've walljumped to make the stage a lot easier, but I was no longer able to make it with my greater speed, meaning it would've been easier to do early on in the game.

Edited by zeddidragon, 12 May 2010 - 06:16 PM.

#28 deathzero021

deathzero021

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 785 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

it was really sad to see another great game like this not even get mentioned in the competition... the judging for this years competition was the worst yet. i won't be participating in these things any more lol.

#29 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

Hey Zeddidragon!

I just read your post and realized that most my glitches were from a last minute fix to make the achievement screen more playable.

I just uploaded a version with these fixes that will work with the same save files:

1.) Achievement Screen - Checks follow correctly and you don't have to hit space to be on a current achievement.
2.) Downward Wall Jump is easier - To do it at any time, press and hold down when you first grab the wall and now you can press left or right and quickly downward jump later.
3.) Color of Text changes to make the Speed Demon Achieve easier to understand (orange if you haven't done it on that level, green if you have)

Now I'm not sure about that Achievement Tracking glitch. The reason that flawless works on other levels is that it is tracking eggs and if you have gotten hurt and does not care about stage. But it should not have gone away once you went back. I'll try to figure that out =)

I uploaded over Version 2 on the Download Page

-Dan

smashland-siggy.gif

#30 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

My level 2 Flawless achievement.

I do not have it.

Edit: Okay, I've earned it again now.

Post-Scriptum: Level 3 Flawless was, as suspected, twenty bajillion times easier than Level 2.

Alteration: So that's how you get Stealth Pro! Well played, Dan the Man. Well Played.

Gotta say, that tiny, insignificant increase in jump after 10 points? Doesn't seem so tiny when you're trying to walljump places with 1 in acceleration.

Posted Image

I actually managed to reach the upper right cave when I was level 9. However, the abysmal walljumping meant I could only get about halfway up before my thumb went numb and I fudged a jump, falling all the way down. Even if I would've made it all the way to the top, chances are it'd take so long that the snake would've gotten away, so I spent a couple of levels purely on increasing jump. After I've gotten another level and received the Need for Speed achivement, I am never touching this weasel again.

Oh yeah, I'd like to report an annoyance with walljumping: It's possible to hit a ledge in a such a way that you're too high up to cling to the wall, but too low down to actually land on the ground. This can easily lead to frustration. Perhaps some kind of ledge-climbing move is in order?

Two word summary of going from this level 12 Weasel with 1 in Acceleration back to my old level 12 Weasel with 13 points in Acceleration: HOLY CRAP!

Edited by zeddidragon, 14 May 2010 - 02:02 PM.

#31 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

I've gotten Speed Demon now, and also a couple of queries for you:

-The Feat says I need to complete the level in under three minutes, however the timer when tracking the achievement says two minutes. Also, I didn't actually get the Feat until I completed the level in less than two minutes so there's that. That wasn't a query so much as a bug/typo report. Also, after two minutes have passed when tracking the Speed Demon achievement the timer acts funny. You might want to make it either count upwards or have it display "F" or something instead after the time has run out.

-I had to change to the Weasel with maxed speed in order to do the fourth stage because I found I couldn't get up to the cliff anymore with my old Weasel. Did I lose my touch or have you rebalanced speed and jump as well?

I'm only missing Birds be Gone, Level 15 and Juggle Master now. One will be really fun to do (DIE BIRDS! DIE!!), the other will be inevitable but Juggle Master will require me to find out the secret behind juggling. I'll keep you updated, Dan.

An update: Juggle Master was a lot easier than I expected. you I just kept on going 'til 18 for good measure.

Edit: All done! That's all of them!

Edited by zeddidragon, 16 May 2010 - 01:42 PM.

#32 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:32 PM

Haha wow. You finished all of the achievements?!! Even Birds be Gone? That one is a toughie, as my roommate hasn't gotten that and a few others.

And yeah. It's meant to be 2 minutes. I see I have to fix those two bugs with that achievement. Maybe, I'll have the counter disappear once you fail and replace it with an F. I actually hadn't tested it extensively so thanks alot for finding that out!

And I tweaked Speed and Jump a little but not too much. I toned down the starting Jump/Speed and upped the amount given per point, so maybe if you just made it then you would need 1 more level up!

Congrats on getting all the achievements!!

Now that you have completed Blackfoot, is there anything you would change / make more clear?

One forum told me that I should make it so you can scare the prey either way when he sees you and he can run off the start or end. He would also run much faster so you must wrangle your prey from leaving the stage while trying to collect the eggs.

Do you think this is a good idea, or do you like the current system?

Also, if you have any ideas for expansion let me know! Such as levels, prey, enemies, achievements, or anything really. I am thinking of starting up a new game for Competition06, but I would like to add a level between Rabbit and Squirrel and then maybe 10 more achievements and call the game done. So let me know if you have any ideas!

You're the only person currently who has gotten all 25 achievements!

-Thanks for playing my game!
Dan Fornace

smashland-siggy.gif

#33 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:18 PM

You're the only person currently who has gotten all 25 achievements!

Whoa, for reals? You'd think you would have gotten them yourself to test their possibility.

Tell your roommate that having a bunch of jump and acceleration is helpful. Staying in the middle of the stage and patrolling in a figure-8 was basically my strategy to get 40 birds. I barely made it before the stage ended! Gotta say it was really satisfying to get my revenge on those feathered annoyances!

You mentioned earlier that you wanted to add a sequence where you fight the prey at the end of the stage. Do you think you're going to do that this time around? 'cause that sounded pretty badass.

About scaring the prey, I always found it really odd that even when you'd apparently managed to scare the crap out of a Cobra, he'd still stop to stare at the food in the end. Of course, this is the only way you can currently kill them so it's kind of necessary I guess. I like the idea of herding scared prey within the stage. Just make sure that they'll be able to escape to the left as well as the right. There should be an achievement for keeping them going long enough, perhaps?

Thinking some more about this, I never thought it made any sense that you couldn't hurt the prey until the end of the stage. This would perhaps be more troublesome to implement than what'd it be worth, but what about a system like this:

-The prey would move in a pattern from left to right, like usual (idea: The prey in the stage between the rabbit and squirrel should go right to left, just for the fun of it. Or perhaps make the stage vertically oriented?)
-When they stop to eat the food at the end, you can kill them in one hit.
-If you attack them before or after this, they'll take damage and panic. Maybe they could attack you. The attacks would knock you back really far and maybe leave you stunned for a bit, giving the prey ample time to escape.
-After the prey has seen you, you'll have to herd them to keep them withing the stage and land enough attacks on them to weaken them for a killing blow.
-In order to make the fighting system more relevant, increase the awareness of the prey. Increase their field of vision and make them hear you if you're nearby and not crawling.
-I'm not actually sure I'd like this better or not, but it'd make more sense. Also, by making it harder to just down the prey, I'd see more meaning in not requiring the collection of all the eggs in order to advance. A lot of people have asked for this to be so.
-Keep in mind, again, that I'm not really sure if this is worth it at all. Not only would you have to put a lot of work into it, you'd also probably have to change the rest of the game to fit around it.

I'm thinking there are ways you could make XP-grinding more interesting.
-Collecting all the eggs should gain you considerably more XP than collecting 9 eggs.
-Completing the stage without taking a hit should gain you considerably more XP than otherwise.
-Perhaps there should be an XP bonus for not being seen by the prey?
All of these would go towards making the grinding somewhat faster and more interesting.

The second prey should probably be a rat? It'd be interesting to chase him into the woodwork of a cabin, but all the extra resources required for that might put you above the 8MB limit for Comp06. Alternate idea: A Salmon. From what I've gathered, weasels are pretty good swimmers.

Acutal, serious idea for a stage that would be reasonable to implement: The prey is underground (let's say it's the rat) and you're above ground. All he has to do is follow a straight line to the food, and he moves really fast. You have to get through and around trees and rocks and what have you. All the eggs would be in your way or not too far out of it, so it's mostly about keeping up with the prey. The stage would encourage putting some points into the jump skill so as to prepare the player for the squirrel-stage.

If you put in lots of opportunity for using the downwards walljump, you'll make me happy.

-Tony A. Sæle

Edited by zeddidragon, 16 May 2010 - 11:19 PM.

#34 Pinpickle

Pinpickle

Abscure Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1353 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:37 AM

This. =/

This. =\

Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

@Zeddidragon

I really like your ideas for advancement and I will most definitely think about them in the future. However, I am currently planning on starting up a new game for competition06 and will not be submitting Blackfoot. Tonight I am fixing up a few more glitches and am adding in your experience ideas so the grind isn't so bad. (You get more for flawless and complete, but now level 2 takes 25 experience so you can still do rookie of the year haha)

Let me know if there were any other annoyances that I could fix now and I will definitely be contacting you if and when I continue development on Blackfoot. Thank you so much for playing my game and being the best tester everrrr. I hope you enjoyed it and look for my future projects. Also, let me know if you want your name on the credits instead of Zeddidragon.

Thanks again,
Dan

smashland-siggy.gif

#36 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

I shall look forward to your Comp06 entry with every faith that it'll win.

Other than the walljumping-at-ledges annoyance, I've got absolutely nothing. Do use my real name in the credits; As far as I'm aware I've got nothing to hide.

#37 fuxter

fuxter

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

congrats on making it to the free indie rapid fire!!!

#38 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

Thanks Fuxter!

Thanks again for hosting my game. If you would like to update the link to the new download on your blog then that would be awesome! The newest version is at http://www.danfornace.com/blackfoot. Let me know if you do so I can update my links if it changes!

I just went on my website to find that a few other places have linked to my game, so I updated the first post with all the coverage that I have received!

Also, my game is up for nomination for indie of the week at ByteJacker. Following in the footsteps of CowboyKilla as a game that the judges don't like but Indie Sites do. Please go vote to support my game (go down to library and vote on every computer =P)

Thanks so much,
Dan

smashland-siggy.gif

#39 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

This is nice to relax with for an hour or so after school. Took me about two or three days to beat, but it was nice.
Posted Image
I also got 15 achievements. It's too late for some of them though.

By the way, the sound for your prey noticing you is just golden.

Edited by BENJAMUS, 27 May 2010 - 06:26 AM.

#40 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

@BENJAMUS

Hey man! Thanks alot for playing through my game! I remember seeing your name a while ago on the GMC when you were working on Platform Battle (which is a game I thoroughly enjoyed. I have actually developed 2 platform fighters myself with a possible third for Competition06!) so it's nice to see members who I remember and respect trying out my projects!

Also achievements are just linked to your folder so if you do feel motivated to get all of them, they save between weasels!

@Everyone

I won Free Indie of the Week at ByteJacker with a whopping 61% of the vote! Thanks to all those who voted and supported Blackfoot and I hope you guys will try out my future projects!

I am taking some time working on my Comp06 entry and sitting away from the game for a bit. In a few weeks I will play through the entire game again and make general fixes and maybe just a few updates. Let me know if there are any small changes that you would like to see to give the game that extra bit of pizazz.

Thanks
-Dan Fornace

smashland-siggy.gif

#41 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

Major props/congrats on winning Bytejacker!

#42 Dan The Man

Dan The Man

Super Smash Master

• GMC Member
  • 534 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:41 AM

Hey thanks banov!

Following the proud steps of CowboyKilla of course.

Also, I was wondering if you planned to enter Competition06. Right now I am floating between 2 game ideas that I would really like to tackle. One is designed for the comp, while one isn't. The thing is that the one that isn't for the comp is the game I would have more fun playing. I'm kinda torn as my senior year of college is coming up and I will be pretty busy after that so whichever game I make this summer could be my last for a while. Are you developing anything for it currently?

-Dan

smashland-siggy.gif

#43 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

I'm not planning to enter comp06, the results were pretty discouraging and I have plenty of other things to work on already. Good luck on your projects! See you in September? :)

#44 vertex67

vertex67

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

what a great game!
Its truly a beautiful game, and a joy to play through.
Im still trying to get past level 2, but Im enjoying exploring the area.