• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#1 Jayrod

Jayrod

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

I've been working on an Animator to be used for making graphics and stuff. But for some odd reason, when I clicked Run Game an error popped up saying "Failed to replace the icon", and soon after my AVG Anti-Virus popped up with a Threat Detected. :D

Posted Image

I can't really give much more information, except that now EVERYTIME I make a game and test it, they become a Trojan Horse...
Also, I Google'd this icon error but couldn't find anything. So, sorry if this has been fixed somehow before.

Any help? Any thoughts as to what I should do now? ^_^

#2 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16293 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:32 PM

You shoul perform a scan on your hard disk, perhaps you got infected and the virus infected game maker.

#3 Jayrod

Jayrod

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:43 PM

The scan is removing all EXEs that were created by GameMaker, even ones I downloaded from yoyo. ^_^
However, GameMaker itself came up clean with no infections?

I don't get it. Any other suggestions?

#4 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16293 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:58 PM

Install a good virus scanner, like avast. and get rid of the one you use right now.

www.avast.com

#5 EchoJerichoX

EchoJerichoX

www.MetroidCoven.com

• GMC Member
  • 506 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:01 AM

Screw all that, this isn't isolated to one platform. I have the same problem and so do a few others.

#6 LSnK

LSnK

NaN

• GMC Member
  • 1188 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:12 AM

Screw all that, this isn't isolated to one platform.

You said you use AVG in another topic. The same as everyone else who has reported this problem.

#7 EchoJerichoX

EchoJerichoX

www.MetroidCoven.com

• GMC Member
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

I know, I'm saying it didn't help. It's not important.

What is important is that we need this fixed!

#8 Samuka97

Samuka97

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 465 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:54 AM

Either...

a) You are using pirated software that came with a virus
b) It's a false-positive
c) Your Game Maker got infected by another virus

#9 Swifty

Swifty

Shadow

• GMC Member
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:03 AM

Look at http://gmc.yoyogames...p;#entry3476568 People with the same problem there, all with AVG. I'm assuming this is a false-positive that has started with a recent AVG update.

Swifty

#10 LoopStan

LoopStan

North-See Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1398 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:23 AM

Don't use AVG use something like McAfee? XD Its worth the money.

#11 EchoJerichoX

EchoJerichoX

www.MetroidCoven.com

• GMC Member
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:28 AM

My GM is not cracked. I cannot run any games while this is happening.

EDIT: I don't know what Avast did, but it found two viruses unrelated to Game Maker and my problem stopped occuring.

I guess, just download it and run a full scan. Worked for me. Still odd... And somewhat scary that it popped up for several people at the same time.

Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by EchoJerichoX, 01 April 2010 - 01:40 AM.

#12 Grak

Grak

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:47 AM

EDIT: I don't know what Avast did, but it found two viruses unrelated to Game Maker and my problem stopped occuring.

I guess, just download it and run a full scan. Worked for me. Still odd... And somewhat scary that it popped up for several people at the same time.

Can you send the link to the avast you downloaded? I can't believe how many people were hit at the same time with the same problem...

#13 EchoJerichoX

EchoJerichoX

www.MetroidCoven.com

• GMC Member
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:05 AM

It's the first result on Google man...

I'm usually not one to divert someone to Google, but come on... At least try.

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by EchoJerichoX, 01 April 2010 - 02:09 AM.

#14 Grak

Grak

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:09 AM

It's the first result on Google man...

I'm usually not one to divery someone to Google, but come on... At least try.

Okay. Thanks.
Some antivirus software isn't exactly legit. I didn't want to stumble onto something that would make my problem worse.

#15 EchoJerichoX

EchoJerichoX

www.MetroidCoven.com

• GMC Member
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:18 AM

Understandable.

#16 trevuar25

trevuar25

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 766 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:56 AM

Don't use AVG use something like McAfee? XD Its worth the money.

surely you jest

#17 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16293 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:59 AM

glad avast fixed it... I dont trust anything else myself.

#18 alexandre3444

alexandre3444

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:27 AM

that's simply AVG's going haywire
in other words AVG flagged Game maker games as a Trojan horse.
can someone contact AVG to tell this problem ?
(or someone send to AVG a fake alert to this virus ?)
*delete AVG on his computer and install avast*

Edited by alexandre3444, 01 April 2010 - 04:33 AM.

#19 PhantomGun

PhantomGun

GMC Member

• 72 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:52 AM

It isn't just AVG doing this. I use Kaspersky, and recently i've found any *new* game I make and try to run gets flagged. Anything older than about 3 months ago works fine. Read up, and somehow managed to stumble across one other with the issue. Changing the game icon in global game settings > loading seems to resolve the issue.

#20 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9486 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:10 AM

It isn't just AVG doing this. I use Kaspersky, and recently i've found any *new* game I make and try to run gets flagged. Anything older than about 3 months ago works fine. Read up, and somehow managed to stumble across one other with the issue. Changing the game icon in global game settings > loading seems to resolve the issue.

So what does that mean? Some AV programs consider GM's icon a virus?

Strange...

-IMP :D ^_^

#21 alexandre3444

alexandre3444

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:27 AM

no but they found a way to flag it as a virus
and since AVG flags crack and stuff that are being flagged by the other companies
i guess the company(Namco) behind pac-man flagged this one X )

Edited by alexandre3444, 01 April 2010 - 05:46 AM.

#22 PhantomGun

PhantomGun

GMC Member

• 72 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

So what does that mean? Some AV programs consider GM's icon a virus?

Strange...

-IMP :D ^_^

No idea. Just tried to error it so I could get the exact 'virus' name.. was something like Constructor.Win32.IDL.eh.
For whatever reason, mine seems to be working now. Couldn't get it to happen. I removed GM7 strangely a few months ago, but not the GM7 folder in \user\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files until today, maybe that was causing it?

Edit: That's the right 'virus' name.

Edited by PhantomGun, 01 April 2010 - 08:01 AM.

#23 ~Dannyboy~

~Dannyboy~

~hoqhuue(|~

• GMC Member
  • 2144 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

I also had this problem earlier today.

I have just updated AVG, it no longer flags GM games as viruses, I suggest you all do the same. ^_^

#24 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 7471 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

that's simply AVG's going haywire

Not really. The causes for false positives are two-fold: it's both by Game Maker's design and by its users.

The Game Maker engine carries a particular DirectX library with it that is automatically dropped into some directory at runtime so that it may be used by the engine. Dropping potentially hazardous files (EXE, COM, batches, DLLs etc.) into temporary directories is what sets alarm bells off with most virus scanners, until someone (usually the developers themselves) can report them as safe. A virus scanner doesn't know if a program is safe until it has been reported, so every new version for a particular application can set off the alarms again.

Another problem is that Game Maker has more often than not been used by some people to create malicious programs - to log keys, steal files, drop viruses et cetera. Virus scanners use a number of methods to calculate a so-called footprint of the virus code by which they can identify them, no matter to what application they are attached. All Game Maker games for one version have about 1 to 2 megabytes of runtime engine that is exactly the same, and which may cause virus developers to identify them as the common denominator between Game Maker made trojans - therefore, everything carrying the engine is automatically flagged as a virus. Until, once again, someone reports the issue.

It's an unfortunate side effect of a system that largely works, but it's always a temporary problem.

Edited by Smarty, 01 April 2010 - 10:33 AM.

#25 HaRRiKiRi

HaRRiKiRi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1364 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

Just don't use an anti-virus. I don't really understand this paranoia about trojans and flesh eating bacteria. There are like 5 PC viruses that can actually harm you PC, and all of them are from 80's. I haven't used AV for years and nothing is wrong. My data is not corrupted, and had no slowdowns either. This is why I always respond to these topics about Anti-Virus screaming and I always tell everybody just to get rid of them, and use a normal browser and common sense to protect yourself.

#26 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:52 PM

last night AVG popped up on my computer and told me that I had several viruses. the "file" was all the Competition05 games I have downloaded int he past week, but the "application" pointed to my google chrome exe.

#27 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16293 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

Just don't use an anti-virus. I don't really understand this paranoia about trojans and flesh eating bacteria. There are like 5 PC viruses that can actually harm you PC, and all of them are from 80's. I haven't used AV for years and nothing is wrong. My data is not corrupted, and had no slowdowns either. This is why I always respond to these topics about Anti-Virus screaming and I always tell everybody just to get rid of them, and use a normal browser and common sense to protect yourself.

I would install avast if I was you and verify what a year free of virus scanner sw did for you. Once a month I am warne by it of virus detection on web pages that would normaly be safe... The darn entry point for pluggin in adds on some web site is really the dangerous hole.

#28 4th_dimention

4th_dimention

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

I have had this problem with guess who AVG. I just uninstalled it and it works fine. The thing it is blocking is the temp files that periodically GM asks if you want removed. Just change to another anti-virus and you will be back in busyness. (don't try adding them to the exceptions list I tried that but every time game maker runs it makes a new one which won't be on the list so its no use.

#29 Recreate

Recreate

Furry

• GMC Member
  • 2992 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

On the current PC i'm using. Since the reinstall(old hdd was dead). There are no viruses, no slowdowns etc. What the guy above said. Use a normal browser and common sense.

On my laptop however - I managed to live about 2 years without AV. And because of ONE virus(came from the gmc btw). I had to reinstal. So then i grew somewhat paranoid and installed avast. So mostly no more problems. IMO avast is much better than AVG and norton.

#30 hd4life

hd4life

Game Polisher Host

• 33 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

Could you possibly have a crack?? Good guess for why it is making a trojan.
hd4life

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users