Photo
- - - - -

Darkverse (realtime 3d Space Action/rpg)

• Please log in to reply
831 replies to this topic

#1 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:06 AM

Posted Image

Mankind evolved, so did warfare. The universe survived mankind, will mankind survive the new universe?

Hello everyone, I've been away for a long time.

This is a new project I'm working on, and the biggest one so far. I'm releasing this demo to test and eliminate bugs in the core system of the game, I wont reveal any details on the game itself yet, since many things will be changed in the future.

Everything is original, and copyrighted, so please be nice and don't steal or rip. :)

Play the game and post your impressions, bugs, ideas, criticism, its all welcome.

OFFICIAL TRAILER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea53YFrJsek

SCREENSHOTS

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More screens at yoyogames.

PRESS F1 INGAME FOR CONTROLS

TIPS

Go close to the base or the Jumpgate and a button to Land/Jump will appear. Although jumping doesn't lead anywhere yet, the cutscene is complete.

You start with 200 credits, land on the base, and buy MISILES. They will make your life easier.

Search for enemies on the map and kill them for the drops and bounty, the items they drop are usually better than the ones in teh shop since they have bonuses, but you can also sell them and buy the ones from the shop.

CREDITS:

Graphics/Programming/Sounds: Nick Larin (scream681)

Music: Vicky Fysika (music composer, and singer of C.O.D.E band http://www.code-music.net/ )

Multiplayer programming: Margus Ojanurme.

Design consultant: Ricky Klepka.

Sin Bass Sound system by Sindarin. (ogg format saved the day)

cleanmem.dll by halo shg.

Category: Space action/rpg
File Size: 9.2 MB
GM Version: GM8
Changes Screen Resolution: no

Download Link: http://www.yoyogames...21404-darkverse

Take screenshots and post them here. The best ones will go to the first topic!

Theres a small button in the corner of the ship preview window. It generates a banner with your ship in it, post your ships, and compare stats with others.

Nick Larin (scream681) .

Edited by scream681, 05 January 2011 - 01:21 AM.

#2 WesIvey

WesIvey

GMToychest Admin

• GMC Member
  • 278 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:54 AM

Wow awesome graphics you done there. Simple but still looks great. I've only been playing for about 5 minutes, will edit later.

#3 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:38 AM

wow very cool!
It really reminded me of Mass Effect how you can kind of roam through space.
Speaking of Mass Effect, I think you should add some kind of planet exploration system, say find an unexplored planet, scan it for minerals, sell those minerals or use them to upgrade your ship...

The game had a great atmosphere, plenty of space, nice ai (and pedestrian ai), and great menus!
I upgraded everything and played for about 30 minutes. I can't wait to see what else you have to add!
Also, I think a bloom effect would do amazing things for this game...also, maybe mouse wheel could change zoom?

Good luck and I really hope to see this make progress, it has so much potential!

#4 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

It really reminded me of Mass Effect how you can kind of roam through space.

Mass Effect is a great game, although you don't really steer the ship when you explore there, I see what you mean.

Speaking of Mass Effect, I think you should add some kind of planet exploration system, say find an unexplored planet, scan it for minerals, sell those minerals or use them to upgrade your ship...

You will travel through a lot of solar systems and areas, and yeah recourse collection is also in the plans, you will be able to mine asteroids and other things all over the Darkverse, trading and crafting items is also in the plans.

The game had a great atmosphere, plenty of space, nice ai (and pedestrian ai), and great menus!
I upgraded everything and played for about 30 minutes. I can't wait to see what else you have to add!
Also, I think a bloom effect would do amazing things for this game...also, maybe mouse wheel could change zoom?

Thanks, I'm glad you like the atmosphere, its what i worked most on, to get the overall feeling, the neuntral ships AI is very basic at the moment, I'll work on more variety.

About the bloom effect, you have a point, I'll try it out but I'm sceptical about using addons or dlls because I fear incompatibilities with drivers etc (TUC 2 was canselled because of it).

Zooming is a good idea I gave it a lot of thought, but when I tested it it just gave me the feeling of a strategy game, not an action rpg. A fixed camera give it a more "personal" feeling, if you know what I mean. besides you can use the radar and the map to see a the area around you, zooming wont be really adding anything practical.

Good luck and I really hope to see this make progress, it has so much potential!

Thanks again for the constructive post, I'm expecting the same things :medieval: .

#5 Tarik

Tarik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2731 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hey Nick, great to see you working on a new project again in one of my favorite genres. It's looking great, I'll leave some comments later on.

It's quite a lot of fun to play so far. I'm curious though to hear more about the game, in particular the scope you're imagining. Will you feature dozens of solar systems and groups, or will you limit it to this one large 'arena' in which everything occurs? Are you planning to have a storyline or will it be a shooter with some rpg elements?

Also there's a bunch of humor in-game right now which is a great touch, will this remain in the final game? It might really create a unique selling point, one of the reasons I've always enjoyed Darthlupi's games was because of the personal and often humorous element.

Anyway I didn't encounter any bugs, there's a lot to praise, I like the transitions and the battle-music feature in particular. You've also kept all the interfaces very simple and made everything easy to use, while many other space games get way too complex for their audience. It would be nice to see a higher resolution though, in 2010 I think it's good to make use of the real estate many of your players will have. The most simple form which I'd suggest is just increasing the size of the view depending on the resolution with some hardcoded limits, I'm playing this on 1680x1050 and I wouldn't mind simply having my view increased and the interface elements moved accordingly.

Let us know what kind of feedback you'd like. I'll be following this in any case, I really loved TUC and Battle Arena (played it a bunch with my brother, great mplay game!) and of course you were a huge GM pioneer with the racing game back in the day.

Edited by Tarik, 29 March 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#6 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Tarik. Its cool to see one of the old members still active, I always lliked your games. Your demo of Faction wars was awesome, hope you release a new one soon. And hope you found a way around the surface problem, it seems they are quite glitchy on many computers.

Edited by scream681, 29 March 2010 - 02:26 PM.

#7 Adr3nalin3

Adr3nalin3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

As soon as I start the game, there's an "Error defining an external function" coming from obj_globals.

#8 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

You have to extract everything in the same Directory.

The game uses sinBass.dll and external music files.

#9 Adr3nalin3

Adr3nalin3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

Yes, I know T-T
I did extract everything, 2 DLLs and 4 music files (in a folder), won't work.
Downloading again, maybe the archive was corrupt or something.

EDIT: Tried renaming the DLL to sinBass and sinbass, didn't work.

Edited by Adr3nalin3, 29 March 2010 - 02:54 PM.

#10 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

I hope its not an incompatibility with the dll, but if you get the same error again, try testing Sindarin example, and tell me the results, it will help a lot.

Here is Sin Bass topic:

http://gmc.yoyogames...owtop...0&st=0

You could also try playing the game using the yoyogames player. It works there for me, and you will be sure you didn't do any mistakes with extraction.

Edited by scream681, 29 March 2010 - 03:02 PM.

#11 Tarik

Tarik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2731 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

Adr3nalin3, have you ever had any problems with DLLs of GM projects?

I added you btw Nick, just going to make a sandwich real quick! Oh and I edited my previous post.

#12 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

It's quite a lot of fun to play so far. I'm curious though to hear more about the game, in particular the scope you're imagining. Will you feature dozens of solar systems and groups, or will you limit it to this one large 'arena' in which everything occurs? Are you planning to have a storyline or will it be a shooter with some rpg elements?

Yeah different solar systems and areas are what I'm after. This is just a test area I use to polish the basic gameplay. There is a storyline and a "world concept" already, I just don't want to move to adding the real content untill the main engine and gameplay works as good as possible.

Also there's a bunch of humor in-game right now which is a great touch, will this remain in the final game? It might really create a unique selling point, one of the reasons I've always enjoyed Darthlupi's games was because of the personal and often humorous element.

Actually I was just writing stuff to test the description script. I also like humour in games, but it wont be on such a big scale as it is now, I plan to have some real descriptions aswell :medieval: .

Anyway I didn't encounter any bugs, there's a lot to praise, I like the transitions and the battle-music feature in particular. You've also kept all the interfaces very simple and made everything easy to use, while many other space games get way too complex for their audience. It would be nice to see a higher resolution though, in 2010 I think it's good to make use of the real estate many of your players will have. The most simple form which I'd suggest is just increasing the size of the view depending on the resolution with some hardcoded limits, I'm playing this on 1680x1050 and I wouldn't mind simply having my view increased and the interface elements moved accordingly.

Thanks, I tried to make the interface to be as simple and familiar (the classic rpg style). About teh resolution, yeah you have a point there, I'll work on it.

Thanks for the good post mate, its very helpfull.

#13 Adr3nalin3

Adr3nalin3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

First, instant play doesn't work with Firefox 3.6 D:
Second, this does work on my laptop, and the game's epic :medieval:
The only bug I found was when I retrieved some missiles from a space pirate I blew up, and when I went to the starbase, it said that it had a negative array index.

#14 AB10784

AB10784

GMC Member

• 288 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

How do you switch to second and 3rd weapon, is there only the one mining area? Looks pretty :-) How do you make money? how do you tell whos a bad guy? You should include in game help/tutorials

#15 phathod

phathod

GMC Member

• 30 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

[Edit] Accidental quote.

Game ran fine for me, no problems here. I like the concept so far but I have a few comments. The combat seems like it has one serious flaw. If I circle an enemy continuously, he will fly in circles while I shoot him in the back. Granted it's not incredibly easy to remain directly out of reach of their weapons, but it is possible. Perhaps you could set a timer for the AI that increases while the AI can't shoot the player. If the timer goes high enough, the AI will change directions in hope of targeting the player.

The stars looked pretty, except for the background image, it looks very static compared to the nearer layers of stars. If you made it move ever so slightly, slower than the other layers of stars, I think it may have a better effect. Enough bad stuff now.

The inventory systems is very clean and well done. The upgrades look promising, lots of potential for amazing weapons and armors.

The room was huge, yet it ran very well. How big is that room exactly, haha? Overall I think this game is off to a great start. Looking forward to some updates.

Edited by phathod, 29 March 2010 - 11:04 PM.

#16 AB10784

AB10784

GMC Member

• 288 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

Actually I did only have one error, docked and bought lasers 2 put it in my second weapon slot and threw and error, just hit ignor and it worked, but again, how do you select which weapon you are firing? I used the jump gate thing to the up and left of the dock you start by, it took me to what looked like the same place.

#17 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:36 AM

First, instant play doesn't work with Firefox 3.6 D:
Second, this does work on my laptop, and the game's epic :medieval:
The only bug I found was when I retrieved some missiles from a space pirate I blew up, and when I went to the starbase, it said that it had a negative array index.

Thanks. Yeah I fixed that error, changed something at the last moment and forgot to add a line of code. Can you try testing the sinBass on the computer you get the error? If this is an incompatibility it could cause some problems.

How do you switch to second and 3rd weapon, is there only the one mining area? Looks pretty :-) How do you make money? how do you tell whos a bad guy? You should include in game help/tutorials

Some Hulls support more weapons. The first one only have one, even if you equip the weapons you still cant use them, if you guy HULL 5 for example you can have all 3 weapons at the same time. It mentions how many slots each hull has in their descriptions.

Yeah so far theres only 1 area, because I need to debug a lot of things before I made area transitions.

I mentioned in the first post how to make money, destroy enemy ships, collect the items they drop and sell them for money at the Base shop.

You can tell who is a bad guy, either by the radar dot (bad guys are red, white neutral, green friendly), or by the fact that they have healthbars with a red outline over them. Also the music changes when you enter combat.

Yeah there will be a tutorial later on, this is just a debug demo.

[Edit] Accidental quote.

Game ran fine for me, no problems here. I like the concept so far but I have a few comments. The combat seems like it has one serious flaw. If I circle an enemy continuously, he will fly in circles while I shoot him in the back. Granted it's not incredibly easy to remain directly out of reach of their weapons, but it is possible. Perhaps you could set a timer for the AI that increases while the AI can't shoot the player. If the timer goes high enough, the AI will change directions in hope of targeting the player.

The stars looked pretty, except for the background image, it looks very static compared to the nearer layers of stars. If you made it move ever so slightly, slower than the other layers of stars, I think it may have a better effect. Enough bad stuff now.

The inventory systems is very clean and well done. The upgrades look promising, lots of potential for amazing weapons and armors.

The room was huge, yet it ran very well. How big is that room exactly, haha? Overall I think this game is off to a great start. Looking forward to some updates.

Actually enemies change the direction they turn, its just random, and not very frequent. They also stop and just shoot at you, and try to avoid the missiles (in vain most of the time, but still they try). Besides, in all space games, or even flight sims you have to go behind the enemy and stay there, ofcourse thats when you just have the basic weapons im planning on adding a lot of different effects and weapons that will change that. I know that if you are used to these kind of games, the gameplay is pretty easy right now, I just make the enemies slower and less agile than you because people that dont usually play with this kind of controll system found it very hard(one friend keeps saying its iimpossible to fight without misiles). I'll work on different difficulties later, when the mission system is done, right now there are just random enemies spawned all over the map.

The universe is quite big :) . Those stars in the background are supposed to be millions of lightyears away, its absolutely logical that they dont move, I agree with you though because if they moved very slow it would look a bit better, i tried that at the beginning of making the environment, unfortunately when you move an image with such small dots like starts they get really blurred when between pixels and then back bright again, it looked like the whole sky was blinking, which was incredibly ugly.

Actually the room in the GM editor isn't that big, you just can go out of its boundaries in the actual game(you cant see them), and the enemies are spawned outside of it by an object.

Actually I did only have one error, docked and bought lasers 2 put it in my second weapon slot and threw and error, just hit ignor and it worked, but again, how do you select which weapon you are firing? I used the jump gate thing to the up and left of the dock you start by, it took me to what looked like the same place.

Yeah I fixed that error, its the same one Adr3nalin3 had. Read above about the weapons.

Yeah I mentioned, in the first post that the Jumpgate is only the graphics for now, it doesn't lead you anywhere yet.

Thanks for your replies guys, cheers.

#18 Poddington

Poddington

Lucky To Reach 30

• GMC Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:39 AM

I'm really impressed by your game, I really enjoyed playing it. It feels like a Top Down Elite, well sort of. I can't wait until it's finished.

Wish there was MORE : P

#19 Adr3nalin3

Adr3nalin3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

I tested the sin-bass example, it loads the DLL perfectly, it just can't define the function thingies from the DLL :/
Weird, this only happens with this DLL, as I can define stuff from 39DLL...

#20 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 1975 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

Cool to see you back scream.
Amazing work on this game - very polished -
will get back with detailed comments when I've played through more.

(I always wanted to make something very similar to this myself - but as a small MMO with lots of trading going on.)

#21 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

I'm really impressed by your game, I really enjoyed playing it. It feels like a Top Down Elite, well sort of. I can't wait until it's finished.

Wish there was MORE : P

Thanks, there will be a lot more, i can promise that.

I tested the sin-bass example, it loads the DLL perfectly, it just can't define the function thingies from the DLL :/
Weird, this only happens with this DLL, as I can define stuff from 39DLL...

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll try to contact Sindarin to see what can be done.

(I always wanted to make something very similar to this myself - but as a small MMO with lots of trading going on.)

Yeah, this project started off for online purpose, but things never go as you want them to.

I just uploaded a fixed demo, got rid of the default icon, and added a new extra equipment.

Automated Turrets:
You start with them in your inventory, for testing purposes. I haven't tested them a lot, so try euipping / unequipping and anything that can come to your mind, let me know if any bugs pop out.

Regards, Nick.

#22 Adr3nalin3

Adr3nalin3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

Will test the new version soon, have to finish some work first :whistle:
Also, when will you fully implement the Jumpgate? I want to travel through interstellar space at a million times the speed of light :P

#23 Ic3

Ic3

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

I always wanted to do this myself, so of course I would def play your game ahaha.

On Topic:I really enjoyed just flying around and blowing stuff up, I am not exactly sure about all the features that you have at the moment, but I could def see something like jobs being implemented into this game sort of like another way to make credits besides just killing ships. For example jobs would be mining(since you are next to a mining facility) collecting bounties(adds a bit of a spark to blowing up things, sort of like mini bosses) collection of unknown materials etc, etc. Anyways you get my point, as mentioned above on a side note I could definitely see this being implemented into a small mmo sort of like eve but better ahahah.

#24 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 1975 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

Yeah that "Eve but better" comment is interesting...

I think there's *massive* potential in a game "like Eve" but in "flat space" (could still be in 3D perspective), but working/flying only in 2 dimensions), that was stripped down a lot, with less of a "spreadsheet" vibe & made much more accessible.

Think it could be really big if done right.

Anyway, back on topic:
I'll just sum up with:
Love the game. Real smooth. Interested to see where you take it from here.

#25 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

Will test the new version soon, have to finish some work first :whistle:
Also, when will you fully implement the Jumpgate? I want to travel through interstellar space at a million times the speed of light :P

You can always imagine that you traveled and turned wrong at some point and got back by accident ;) . I'll try ti make new areas after I make the mission system. And some other things.

I always wanted to do this myself, so of course I would def play your game ahaha.

On Topic:I really enjoyed just flying around and blowing stuff up, I am not exactly sure about all the features that you have at the moment, but I could def see something like jobs being implemented into this game sort of like another way to make credits besides just killing ships. For example jobs would be mining(since you are next to a mining facility) collecting bounties(adds a bit of a spark to blowing up things, sort of like mini bosses) collection of unknown materials etc, etc. Anyways you get my point, as mentioned above on a side note I could definitely see this being implemented into a small mmo sort of like eve but better ahahah.

Yeah jobs like mining, trading and other things will be one of the next priorities. I definitely want to add variety to the game.

Yeah that "Eve but better" comment is interesting...

I think there's *massive* potential in a game "like Eve" but in "flat space" (could still be in 3D perspective), but working/flying only in 2 dimensions), that was stripped down a lot, with less of a "spreadsheet" vibe & made much more accessible.

Think it could be really big if done right.

Anyway, back on topic:
I'll just sum up with:
Love the game. Real smooth. Interested to see where you take it from here.

Thanks, thats the whole idea.
Well I think there can be done a lot of things in a 2d universe, and things that cannot be done in a 3d game, each one has his own up and downsides.

Thanks for your comments guys, I'll add more stuff on the next demo.

#26 2Dcube

2Dcube

Programming sucks

• GMC Member
  • 769 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

Very nice and polished!

I love the music and how it changes when you get into battle. Really makes it intense.

The aiming however is difficult, and though it feels really good to destroy an enemy (very nice animation and sound!) the part before that feels clumsy to me. Perhaps I need to get more used to it and get better weapons.

Definitely looking forward to the final. The atmosphere is very nice and makes me want to come back to play.
Good luck!

#27 scream681

scream681

Nick Larin

• 1152 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

Very nice and polished!

I love the music and how it changes when you get into battle. Really makes it intense.

The aiming however is difficult, and though it feels really good to destroy an enemy (very nice animation and sound!) the part before that feels clumsy to me. Perhaps I need to get more used to it and get better weapons.

Definitely looking forward to the final. The atmosphere is very nice and makes me want to come back to play.
Good luck!

Thanks,

Aiming is something that needs practice, especially if you are not used to this kind of controls. I already have good tutorial ideas to solve this in the final game.

I updated the demo, fixed a bug, changed the turret graphic and firing mode. Also added a new very powerful Missile Turret, however you must buy them like the rest equipment now.

Posted Image

Edited by scream681, 31 March 2010 - 03:13 PM.

#28 Poddington

Poddington

Lucky To Reach 30

• GMC Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

There are a lot of GM games where people say the controls are difficult especially with mouse aiming, but i think just because it's difficult doesn't make i bad. If the controls are so bad the game is unplayable that's one thing, but there are many games where it's impossible to re-map keys or buttons to suit your desires. Being from old Quake controls, i use the keypad when playing first person shooters, but with many of the Battlefield Games or supposed war simulations there are about 50 keys just to aim and shoot and re-mapping them to the keypad where there are significantly less keys to use isn't possible. Instead using WSAD and the keys around it make doing simple things that require the X or C or Left Shift and Left Control keys difficult for me, my hand is just too big to comfortably press them.

They aren't game breaking, just difficult and with practice i eventually adapt.

At first I thought aiming was difficult, but after 5 minutes i adapted and shooting was smooth and easy and taking down pirates while dodging fire was great fun.

I had to say it ^_^

#29 gaminator

gaminator

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

I like the graphics and the special effects man

#30 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:18 AM

amazazing, so much potential, and so much fun for such a small WIP

some suggestions:
needs more parts to buy, and better hull designs ( IMO ) some sharpness and definition, not a big fan of the curvyness and roundedness of some ships, but this is all just personal taste

itd be funner with a more diverse and flexible stat system, like accuracy, weapon overheat delay, turning speed, turret arch of sight limit, shield damage absorption, anything that would make it funner and more challenging to actually destroy enemies and buy parts, cuz at this point i can kill every enemy on the map with just my first laser

missles are overkill, have them either miss occasionally (like having to line up your ship in the (approximate) direction of the target or the missle will shoot off into space) of course you can have different missles with different capabilites, even give them different ranges(or theyll blow up before reaching the target)

farther-out(from space civilization) enemies should be harder to kill, stronger, bigger, or smarter and faster, anything to give them an upperhand over the overkill missles i talked about above, have them be in groups as well, during the game i ran into two enemies at the same time and it was the funnest dogfight in the game yet

shield should be weaker at first, and heal slower, and only after a certain amount of time while not using the engine(instead of stopping for just a second during battle and having a full shield again) of course these variables should be upgradeable with newer parts

for a game as serious looking as this, items should have serious info, the jokes and light-hearted phrases you put in the description are nice n all, but im not in a space game to really laugh, itd be a more immersive universe if the science fiction behind it seemed more realistic, if you ever need ideas to put in the descriptions, it should be a fun Game Ideas topic so put it there, or PM me to BS some sci-fi stuff for you

so, great job, and no pressure but i really hope you finish this =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users