Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:15 AM

I would like to present the sequel to Ceramic Shooter:

Ceramic Shooter
Electronic Poem

Download from Host-A

Download from Mediafire

YoYo Games

Overview:

Like the original Ceramic Shooter, Electronic Poem begins with a similar gameplay mechanic: the goal is to damage as little as possible (by shooting and/or crashing). There are many improvements, though, including a better damage system, synchronization of the game's events to the background music, and a drastic gameplay twist about two-thirds into the game.

You pilot a ship with a malfunctioning cannon, receiving specific instructions from your superior to not destroy anything. Throughout most of the game, you are innocently trying to get through the strange city of Teslagrad (and its surrounding countryside). Be sure to read the in-game text, as it conveys important storyline elements and thematic ideas, as well as provides important instructions for the last third of the game!

The game in whole lasts about ten minutes, as it was designed to accompany the self-composed background music (i.e. the music's "high" and "low" points, as well as important beats, match with what is occurring in the game). In general, a lot of thought went into this; I wanted to create a cohesive artistic experience, in addition to a fun game. The game's title is a reference to the Edgard Varese piece "Poeme Electronique."

The ship is controlled with the Arrow Keys.

Screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Specifications:

Title: Ceramic Shooter: Electronic Poem
Download Size: 14.3 MB zipped
File Type: A '.zip' archive that contains the main executable, README.txt, a folder containing the game music, and two DLL's used to play the Ogg Vorbis music.
Version: 1.0
Written In: GM8 Registered

Edited by thetagames, 23 May 2010 - 08:58 PM.

#2 WesIvey

WesIvey

GMToychest Admin

• GMC Member
  • 306 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:33 AM

whoa. I'm afraid I just had an acid trip without using acid. haha. nice game.

#3 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:39 AM

whoa. I'm afraid I just had an acid trip without using acid. haha. nice game.

It is meant to be trippy - thank you. Did you get through the entire game?

#4 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

Does anyone else have any comments on this? A lot of work was spent making this, so any commentary would be much appreciated.

#5 mr.hey

mr.hey

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

hey I like your game! good job, bro~
SpeederXP, powerful speed hack software!
Buy one, get one FREE now!

#6 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

hey I like your game! good job, bro~

Thanks a lot! Did you make it to the end?

#7 RCCarThief

RCCarThief

GMC Member

• 191 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

Very enjoyable game. Beautiful music! I got past 'Lady Gaga' and what I think was a picture of Fountain by Duchamp on my second run.
You always have interesting games theta. I'll see if I can complete it, how close was I at this point?

Wraxul Gaming Site
If I've given you feedback on your game, please give one of mine a try and return the favor! Thanks in advance!

#8 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

Very enjoyable game. Beautiful music! I got past 'Lady Gaga' and what I think was a picture of Fountain by Duchamp on my second run.
You always have interesting games theta. I'll see if I can complete it, how close was I at this point?

You were actually very close to completing the second "movement" of the game, and there are a total of three movements. Once you get past the second movement, the game completely changes, though.

Glad you liked the music; the in-game piano music was composed and recorded by myself (the title piece is obviously not originally by me, but I arranged it in a tracked format).

Thanks a lot!

~ Theta Games

Edited by thetagames, 27 April 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#9 PetzI

PetzI

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1096 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hey, it's really an Electronic Poem! Haven't been able to play through the entire thing yet. It's a bit hard to get it on your first time, especially when you're focusing on reading all the messages. Great work nonetheless. The music, the effects, it all fits perfectly together to set the ambient to tell a nice story.

By the way, do you have a music sheet or a tutorial for those songs? They're really nice, and I've recently started to play the piano.
Posted Image I did not make this game.

Let me know if you're a fan of Makermod or Lugormod!

#10 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hey, it's really an Electronic Poem! Haven't been able to play through the entire thing yet. It's a bit hard to get it on your first time, especially when you're focusing on reading all the messages. Great work nonetheless. The music, the effects, it all fits perfectly together to set the ambient to tell a nice story.

By the way, do you have a music sheet or a tutorial for those songs? They're really nice, and I've recently started to play the piano.

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you liked the music, too. Unfortunately, I do not have this piece written down anywhere (I mostly play it from memory). Also, there is some improvisation, especially in the second movement. The chords are as follows, though:

"Kavita"Movement I:F#m     E       D       C#m   (repeated many times)Movement II:F#m for a bit, thenF#m        AF#m        A          (repeated)Movement III:"Verse:"       F#m     E       D      C#m   (4x)"Chorus:"      F#m     A       E      D        (3x)               F#m     A       E      D, C#m  (1x)Then:verse, chorus, verse, chorusFinally:F# - - - - - - - - -F#       B   F#    B   F#       B    F# - - - - - (repeat a few times)

#11 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:49 AM

I just wanted to note that this game has been featured on TIGSource, along with Matt Makes Games, Colony of Gamers, DIY Gamer, indievault.it, and Tom Jubert's Blog!

#12 lum taylor

lum taylor

GMC Member

• 421 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:18 AM

Brilliant game that deserves WAY more attention than it is getting.

The music is beautiful, the gameplay is great and original, and I loved how you totally switched the focus of the game up in act 3.

Beat the whole thing, loved the whole thing, PLAY IT EVERYONE.
Gamemaker 7.0 PRO

#13 Munguia

Munguia

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 70 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

this game is ART! awesome

Test how Ambidextrous you are on the sequel of the game for both hands, can you handle it?http://gamejolt.com/...xtrous-2/12089/

31490.jpg

#14 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

Glad you all liked it! Also, I'm glad people think it is both artistic and fun; this is what I was going for. Often the complaint about art games is that they don't have much gameplay value; I hope I did otherwise.