Wiicore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 TheMitch21

TheMitch21

Nightmare Studios Owner

• 836 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

My friend told me about this new work in progress. It's called WiiCore. Basically, it's a runner for GM8 games on the Wii via the Homebrew Channel.

YouTube Video
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kB8LlLiD7Fo

There's a terrible glare on the TV, and it's really hard to see the cursor, but from what is demo'd, it looks legit. What do you guys think?

#2 LoopStan

LoopStan

North-See Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1398 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:45 AM

Hm.... Idk? He asked me to make those graphics for the icons, but I have no idea what it was exactly.

Posted Image

#3 PwnageMage

PwnageMage

Nobody Pwns This Mage

• 1864 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:00 AM

It is legit. I was talking to Aragon the entire time he was working on it. It's gonna be pretty amazing.

Prepare yourself for the Phlud

#4 Cup of Joe

Cup of Joe

GMC Member

• 71 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:40 AM

My friend told me about this new work in progress. It's called WiiCore. Basically, it's a runner for GM8 games on the Wii via the Homebrew Channel.

YouTube Video
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kB8LlLiD7Fo

There's a terrible glare on the TV, and it's really hard to see the cursor, but from what is demo'd, it looks legit. What do you guys think?

Yes, it's legitimate. Zach (the developer), has been working on it for a few days now. Last I heard he got controls working and object management, and text rendering. It's all fairly basic stuff, but he's doing a lot very quickly. It sounds like without too much work we'll be able to get GM on the Wii. Not sure how it works stability-wise, though.
Join Recreanity! I mean, who wouldn't want to worship Recreate?

#5 not_patrick

not_patrick

GMC Member

• 201 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

GM games on wii homebrew would be awesome.

#6 WesIvey

WesIvey

GMToychest Admin

• GMC Member
  • 306 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

Pretty awesome. But why the Wii? Why not other consoles as well?

At any rate, very awesome and its a great thing for GM, could be the start of the GM console era?

#7 TheMitch21

TheMitch21

Nightmare Studios Owner

• 836 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

Pretty awesome. But why the Wii? Why not other consoles as well?

At any rate, very awesome and its a great thing for GM, could be the start of the GM console era?

Probably because the Wii is the easiest console to hack, but let's not discuss that here.

#8 Recreate

Recreate

Furry

• GMC Member
  • 2992 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:49 PM

Looks interesting, I thought the Wii was one of the hardest requiring a modified chip. Though i never really looked into it, So I don't really know.

If the post that you are reading was created prior to 2011. For the safety of the general public, It is not to be regarded under any circumstances.
Please don't ask me to join your group at anything.

#9 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:18 AM

I watched him developing it on Ustream.

#10 epicCreations

epicCreations

Cool As Ace

• 1241 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:03 AM

Sounds really interesting. It'll be cool if it gets finished. I'd love one for the DS too, but I'm already learning C, so...

#11 Recreate

Recreate

Furry

• GMC Member
  • 2992 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:06 AM

I watched him developing it on Ustream.

I'd imagine so. :)

If the post that you are reading was created prior to 2011. For the safety of the general public, It is not to be regarded under any circumstances.

#12 Zezuken

Zezuken

AKA: Warriorccc0

• GMC Member
  • 2799 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:06 AM

Looks interesting, I thought the Wii was one of the hardest requiring a modified chip. Though i never really looked into it, So I don't really know.

The only thing you need is a sd card, so it isn't the hardest, if anything it's the easiest.

#13 LoopStan

LoopStan

North-See Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1398 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:12 AM

yeah. Reasons why to choose the wii:
1) Easy to mod for home brew
2) The resolution is 640x480 making gms rooms perfect for it
3) Its a good specimen for simple game maker games to be ported to.
4) Why else not?

Posted Image

#14 Aragon1029

Aragon1029

GMC Member

• 940 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:20 AM

Because I have a Wii.

Rave Breakout! A new game for iOS devices!
Ever wondered how many lines of code your game has?
Guys, I have a great idea, let's protect the public through censorship.

#15 Cup of Joe

Cup of Joe

GMC Member

• 71 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:25 AM

4) Why else not?

Yeah, the Wii's already got a really great home brew ecosystem, and it's not difficult to get the home brew channel at all. The Wii also got a good mouse_x and mouse_y alternative (the wii remote), so no hassling with analog sticks. I was talking to him about getting built-in wifi functions in, since the Wii has got good wifi support, too. I think it'll be a lot of fun.

Edited by Cup of Joe, 22 March 2010 - 01:26 AM.

#16 Recreate

Recreate

Furry

• GMC Member
  • 2992 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:38 AM

4) Why else not?

640x480? That's VGA's resolution. I thought it was something along the lines of NTSC at 720x480. But then again its not always tied to the tv's resolution.

#17 Aragon1029

Aragon1029

GMC Member

• 940 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:47 AM

It's 480i, which is 640x480.

#18 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:54 AM

640x480? That's VGA's resolution.

http://en.wikipedia...._Array#Hardware

It has more then one resolution.

#19 Recreate

Recreate

Furry

• GMC Member
  • 2992 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:02 AM

Yes. I NEVER said that it's only that. Though it can be easily interpreted that way...

#20 armymenis12

armymenis12

"Tennis Addict"

• 1040 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:57 AM

Wow. So much progress since I first started using GM. Back then, people said there would NEVER be GM for Mac and there would NEVER be GM for ANY console. Or at least I got the impression so.

Sig by Nikc-Nack

#21 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

Wow. So much progress since I first started using GM. Back then, people said there would NEVER be GM for Mac and there would NEVER be GM for ANY console. Or at least I got the impression so.

Consoles sucked and Macs weren't popular? xD

Also, I'm fairly sure its not a runner. So the games are compiled.

Yes. I NEVER said that it's only that. Though it can be easily interpreted that way...

Well you never said it had more then one resolution. Either way you're wrong. VGA isn't the only one supporting that resolution.

#22 gmx0

gmx0

The Messenger

• GMC Member
  • 1220 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

How do you get the Homebrew Channel? Im browsing the GMC right now on the Wii, lol.

#23 ʞsɐ ʇuop ʇsnɾ

ʞsɐ ʇuop ʇsnɾ

GMC Member

• 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

That Wii has been chipped, if anybody didn't catch that.

#24 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

Homebrew channel is like.. illegal?

#25 ev149

ev149

NinetySix Design

• GMC Member
  • 1035 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

According to the EULA, yes, installing a homebrew application and using the Homebrew Channel is illegal.
I ain't 'round these parts too much no more...

InfraTerrra

#26 Cup of Joe

Cup of Joe

GMC Member

• 71 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

I'm assuming you're trying to say that he installed a mod chip. He didn't, it's soft-modded. There are a few methods to installing the homebrew channel, look it up. Definitely worth a look.

#27 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

I don't think it's illegal per say, but it voids your warranty pretty well I think..If you have one.

#28 Aragon1029

Aragon1029

GMC Member

• 940 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

Oh dear, you've caught me.
Obviously, I hacked the chipset in my wii to play a GM game, because, as we all know, the Wii has all the platform support an x64 system has. It also has DirectX 11. I know what you're thinking. "Wait I heard DX was for Windows only?" No that's a lie the man tells you to keep you from making profit.

btw, I should be able to release a very basic converter before the month's over. I finally figure out how GM saves it's resources.

In an unrelated note:

Dear YYG,
This is 2010. Just in case you didn't catch that. This. Is. Two-thousand and ten. The GMK format is probably the worst "format" I've ever seen. Please, for the love of God, stop using dwords for EVERY VALUE. You could easily make GMKs 50%+ smaller (and "compiled" games for that matter) if you didn't use dwords for boolean values. That may have flown in 1995-- oh wait, no it wouldn't have because that's wasting 4 times the data.

Also, why are the GMK's encrypted in the first place?
You could argue to prevent 3rd party software from hacking the resource data and stealing things. But who would want to do that? Another argument might be the decompiler. Ok, so, your point? To stop the decompiler change the EXE encryption, not the GMK encryption. It prevents useful software such as the GM obfuscater and the GMK defragger, which you know, since your file format sucks is extremely useful.

Hugs & kisses, Zach.

Edited by Aragon1029, 23 March 2010 - 10:04 PM.

#29 Recreate

Recreate

Furry

• GMC Member
  • 2992 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

YYG can use dwords for booleans if they want to. ^_^

#30 Aragon1029

Aragon1029

GMC Member

• 940 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

...Just stop.

#31 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

I'm sure you'd like that extra size in your games, ReCreate.

#32 Cup of Joe

Cup of Joe

GMC Member

• 71 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

Yeah, and I could wear my shoes on the wrong foot. Doesn't make it a good idea, genius.

#33 varuks

varuks

GMC Member

• 982 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:13 AM

hmm.... I like the idea! You wil soon see rpg's on the wii made on the gm! And then Xbox games will be made on GM!

WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!

Edited by varuks, 24 March 2010 - 08:19 AM.

#34 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

...Just stop.

But you can just Zip it!! Get it?

I agree with you though. Even though using dword (int) everywhere does allows for huge amount of resources... Something that would never happen in the current releases of GM.

The encryption SHOULD be removed... Everything should be in the clear so that useful 3rd party tools be implemented fiddling with the gmk and proper comercial tools be used on the exe... I'm not even sure you can sign a gm game...

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#35 LoopStan

LoopStan

North-See Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1398 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

The encryption sorta sucks, and is documented. So it is only a small pain at first, but anyone could make a 3rd party tool like this. I am currently making a tool for the DS using kinda this same method, but just for certain things. Not gm files exactly. It will be in my sig later...

Posted Image

#36 Rusky

Rusky

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2492 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:19 AM

The encryption is gone in GM8, and new gmk's are compressed using a standard method (zlib). Using dwords for everything is a bad idea, but it does simplify things somewhat and it's not really a big deal.

Edited by Rusky, 25 March 2010 - 12:21 AM.

#37 ynspyred

ynspyred

GMC Member

• 328 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

hmm.... I like the idea! You wil soon see rpg's on the wii made on the gm! And then Xbox games will be made on GM!

WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!

I doubt that they made their own XBox runner just for one game, don't get too excited. It's far more likely that they [the Spleunky creators] just used XNA, an existing technology for creating Xbox games, to port to the 360. Hate to burst your bubble.
Making a deferred renderer DLL. Want to help or discuss? Email me at jamesmjdm@gmail.com (re: GM-DR)
Rig: AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.2 | 2x2 GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 | ATI Radeon HD 6670 (D3D11) 1GB GDDR3 | LG Flatron @ 1920x1080 | Large case stuffed with fans

#38 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

I personally have talked to the owner of the video (the guy that did this all), he tells me it is legitimate, and is willing to give me access to the files for his next version he will release, so I can try it. I will be making a GMVision Video discussing this, so that we can see if it is *real* or not :medieval:

#39 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:18 AM

People so dearly want GM to be ported to the Wii (xbox, PS, etc) that they act irrationally at the slightest hint it might happen, no matter how improbable it might be.

There is no question that this is ligit. But it really is unremarkable, and is light years away from even being newsworthy.

Someone has written some homebrew, to read a GMK and basically draw a room. This is really no big deal, and doesn't suggest at all, that the creator is even close to completing a wii homebrew based runner. That task is infinitely more significant than what has been displayed in the video.

Add this to the long list of announced projects that whip you fanbois into a rabid frenzy, that never get realized. Oh and make sure that when the next dolt comes along and asks if Game Maker can be ported to the Wii, you tell them not yet, but soon, then show him that video.

Move along, there's nothing to see here.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 28 March 2010 - 01:18 AM.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#40 Cup of Joe

Cup of Joe

GMC Member

• 71 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:59 AM

People so dearly want GM to be ported to the Wii (xbox, PS, etc) that they act irrationally at the slightest hint it might happen, no matter how improbable it might be.

There is no question that this is ligit. But it really is unremarkable, and is light years away from even being newsworthy.

Someone has written some homebrew, to read a GMK and basically draw a room. This is really no big deal, and doesn't suggest at all, that the creator is even close to completing a wii homebrew based runner. That task is infinitely more significant than what has been displayed in the video.

Add this to the long list of announced projects that whip you fanbois into a rabid frenzy, that never get realized. Oh and make sure that when the next dolt comes along and asks if Game Maker can be ported to the Wii, you tell them not yet, but soon, then show him that video.

I've got to agree on some points, but disagree on others. He's already got enough done right now to make basic games (the treasure hunt example that Mark made has already been successfully ported to work on the Wii, I do believe), which is a lot more than could be said about the other attempts. You're right, it still is far from being able to do everything that Game Maker on Windows can, but it's more than unremarkable.

#41 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:29 AM

I've got to agree on some points, but disagree on others. He's already got enough done right now to make basic games

Basic games? So does G Flash.

Edited by makerofthegames, 28 March 2010 - 03:29 AM.

#42 Aragon1029

Aragon1029

GMC Member

• 940 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:06 AM

Aww, I love you too!
Nah, you're right about a lot of points there, but that video was proof of concept. However, at least it's something. With all due respect, when's the last time you released, or worked on anything that furthered the development of GM or GM games collectively?

By the way, it's legit, not ligit.

Edited by Aragon1029, 28 March 2010 - 05:07 AM.

#43 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

Although the HB channel is illegal, the footage is real. I wonder if he's planning on implementing Mii's. It definatly looks cool, but as I said HB channel is illeagl so I probably won't use this.

Off-Topic: I couldn't hear exactly what he said, so I put on Closed Captions. And that was a laugh - phrases like "Forbes is running on time", "I hear for all on her serve, and it's a really bad her, sir", "Take that seat for help" and at the end "Gary Gary" xD

#44 LoopStan

LoopStan

North-See Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1398 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:48 AM

I am now apart of the beta/dev team, and was the first graphic artist for anything that he needed. I am also writing an IDE for the wii that will be using the wiicore engine :) He just finished extracting everything and atm is working on converting it over to the wii code. So far he is going good, atm only GM7 gmk's though. He wants to make it gm8 and 7 once he has the time. Just an update.

Edited by LoopStan, 29 March 2010 - 04:02 AM.

Posted Image

#45 Aragon1029

Aragon1029

GMC Member

• 940 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

*whistle*

Posted Image

Also, http://i41.tinypic.com/qxlwso.png

Edited by Aragon1029, 30 March 2010 - 02:39 AM.

#46 Revel

Revel

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɔɯƃ

• GMC Member
  • 4935 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:32 AM

@Aragon1029

The progress looks awesome. Maybe you could provide a list of features that are full working, and features that need work. Although that might be a lot of work, its just a suggestion.

Glad you got the button working. Does it run in JGXP, or did you end up injecting the dll manually? (Does it execute the compiler correctly?). I'll finish up the DLL and add any other features you need tomorrow when you get online. :medieval:

Edited by Revel, 30 March 2010 - 03:33 AM.

#47 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

This seems a bit like posting screenshots in the WIP forum, instead of providing a demo. So I'm closing this topic... for now.

I fully support a tool for creating GM games for the Wii, such as this tool. I think YYG will too. It's great for GM. But we don't allow topics in the Community forum about things "under development" -- whether they're magazines, websites, or tools.

I'll contact the Wiicore developers to learn the actual status of this effort. Then we can have a proper topic (instead of speculation) when it's mature enough for public release.
Geometricks 3D Rendering Demo / In Silico 3D Kinematics Simulation
Warped Space 3D Gravity Simulation / Surface Explorer Animated Surface Demo
Oscilloscope Animated Lissajous Figures

Featured Games at YoYo: Drop in the Bucket, Tut's Test(3rd place competition winner)

Older games at: Flying Banjo Games