• GMC Member
  • 120 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:04 AM

Purple By _Bowser_
Reviewed by Quick12

GMC Topic: gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=442971
YoYo Games: www.yoyogames.com/games/92136
Gameplay Video: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related (Thanks to jackyboyhenry)

Posted Image
(World 2-5)

There's only one way to describe Purple in a one-word sentence: Excellent. Purple is an exceptional platformer which stands out with its great gameplay and design. For those who haven't heard of it, it is the first professionally published game of it's creator, King_Bowser. Purple is, in short, one of the best platformers I have ever played.

First off, the game looks very nice. The graphics are clearly meant to look like the game was meant to be on a much older gaming console, and they look great and all fit together with a consistant style, something not commonly found in GM games. The sound effects are quite good, and, once again, fit with the game. The music, on the other hand, isn't simply good; it's fantastic. There are about 50 separate pieces, all of them retro and very catchy, fitting in with the various environments seamlessly. There's also a music player built into the Unlockables section of the menu, which allows you to listen to Purple's music whenever you want without distractions, a feature which I found agreed with me. The controls are simple and effective. Arrow keys to move, (Z) to jump, (X) to launch your Frisbee/special weapon, and (A) to switch between your Frisbee and your special weapon. If this is not to your liking, you can change the controls through the menu, a nice touch King_Bowser added. I never found a need to change them, though.

The core gameplay is where Purple truly shines. You play through several levels, bashing blocks and enemies with your Frisbee. You also pick up special weapons to use, from the Homing Frisbee, which will relentlessly attack enemies without the need of guidance, to the Ice Gun, which freezes enemies, and a frisbee which appears to be a ball of exploding cheese. There is a large variety in the level theme and design, from simplistic grasslands to enemy-riddled cities and puzzling castles. Purple is pure platforming goodness, seamlessly combining action, puzzle, and exploration, not too dissimilar from the classic Super Mario games. A number of well-designed bosses await at the end of each world within the game. While they might not be very inventive, they definitely add to the overall game. From the creepy boss with a big smiley head that pops off to the difficult flaming eyeball, bosses like these don't come along very often in GM games. Purple is very difficult, especially when it comes to the castles and bosses. The player will encounter a sheer amount of difficulty, which may turn off some people from this playing. However, Purple starts easy and works up the difficulty level by level. Purple doesn't get hard until World 4. After that, the difficulty goes off of the scale. This is where one of the few flaws of the game comes in: the save system. The game saves after each world. Not level, but world. This forces you to play through a whole world before you can take a break, and the rather difficult bosses make sure that you will play through the later worlds several times. Purple also proves to be slightly glitchy, and you will undoubtedly find at least a few bugs in there. Just make sure you're not using a low-end computer, or glitches will render Purple almost unplayable.

Posted Image
(World 4-1)

Purple has more replay value than most games I see on the GMC. There are a number of diamonds scattered throughout the levels, and finding them gives the player various rewards, from extra lives to menu skins. You can also collect various goodies along the way which add to your score, and collecting each and every one in a level is quite satisfying. Collecting all of these goodies in all levels will earn you a significant reward. Given the immense difficulty of Purple, I recommend against trying if you want to keep your sanity.

Purple should be a welcome addition to your collection of GM games. Should anyone reading this want to play Purple, scroll back up to the top and click on the YoYo Games link. For those who don't... do the same. If you don't, you'll be missing out on a true gem of a game.

Posted Image
(World 5-1)

Edited by quick12, 19 November 2010 - 05:43 AM.

#2 jackyboyhenry

jackyboyhenry

just jack

• GMC Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

i love purple it shows how pixel can still look good visually instead of 3-d :) , aswell i like the unlockables too!

#3 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Member
  • 5309 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

A nicely written review. :) Informative and pleasant to read. The only things missing were some screenshots. But you linked to the GMC topic and that has some.... so it's not a big deal.

I can tell you enjoyed the game -- it comes through in your review. I plan to give the game a try now.

#4 quick12

quick12

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the comments, KC LC! I actually did try to get some screenshots from the web, but they showed up as red x's, at least on my browser. I'll see if I can go ahead and fix that, even though the review has already been posted.

#5 PixelPalace

PixelPalace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1008 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

Ahh. I've searched for YouTube videos of Purple ever since I found one randomly and my computer kind of had to be Xed out due to it not responding. Everytime though, I never found the video again. (I searched "Purple", "Purple-Game Maker Game", "Purple-Computer Game", and "GM Game-Purple") Glad to see a review of it, I really badly want to play it, because one line just sold it to me:

Pure platforming goodness

*Sniff*........Thank you........

#6 jackyboyhenry

jackyboyhenry

just jack

• GMC Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

Ahh. I've searched for YouTube videos of Purple ever since I found one randomly and my computer kind of had to be Xed out due to it not responding. Everytime though, I never found the video again. (I searched "Purple", "Purple-Game Maker Game", "Purple-Computer Game", and "GM Game-Purple") Glad to see a review of it, I really badly want to play it, because one line just sold it to me:

youtube gameplay vid of purple

#7 PixelPalace

PixelPalace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1008 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

Ahh! How can I forget! One of my favoriate users on Youtube, and I don't notice he has a video on Purple! Wow.....

#8 quick12

quick12

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

I've added some revisions to the review, so that it has less spelling/grammer mistakes and is more pleasant to read.

#9 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 2922 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

Ah, probably one of the best platforming games I have played made with GM and I am glad to say your review does it justice. ;) Good review, decently descriptive and touches well on both it's good and bad points effectively.

Edited by Scyler_27, 10 February 2011 - 08:05 PM.

#10 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4032 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

It's sad to see how little recognition and attention Purple has been given. Its creator have obviously put in some real time, effort and care into this game, especially the graphics and music.
Sure, it has its flaws *Cough* it being impossible to even damage the final boss *Cough*, but what game doesn't?

Underrated game #1.

#11 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 4288 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:44 AM

*Cough* it being impossible to even damage the final boss *Cough*

It's possible. Aim your Ultra-F at the eyes. Just remember to charge it up fully and launch it at the peak of your jump.

Sure, it has its flaws...

Yep. I had to hack the savefile to get world 7, which cannot be normally opened due to bugs that prevent you from getting 100% on certain levels. The sole level of world 7 has taken about 100 lives to date and still counting --- the homing spike balls keep killing me.

Also, some systems (like my current one) cannot register more than 2 keypresses at a time reliably in-game, which means the "Plasma G pogo" technique required for the diamonds on 3-1 and 5-3 cannot be reached. I had to use another system to get these.

Despite its issues, Purple is still a very good game. I'm still pretty addicted, even 3 months after beating it. The diamond block (the bluish one that sticks its tongue out) is still the user icon on my computer, and my iPod morning alarm is set to the menu theme.

GameGeisha

#12 the_recruiting

the_recruiting

GMC Member

• 800 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

Looks amazing! Great Pixel style. Gameplay looks good ;) Great work Bowser and good review Quick12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users