• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#31 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:39 PM

This game looks to awesome to play as a demo.
I shall await until it is complete.

#32 Gioku

Gioku

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 195 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:53 AM

Wow, great! Much better than the Platformer I'm working on! Although, mine isn't as finished as yours. I loved the pixel art! Wish I could be as good as you, but I'm getting better! would have liked to have seen animation when entering doors though. It was great otherwise!

#33 BenjaminTibbetts

BenjaminTibbetts

GMC Member

• Validating
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

Great work! Can't wait to see this finished. The influence from Spelunky is particularly noticeable.

#34 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:10 AM

Wow, great! Much better than the Platformer I'm working on! Although, mine isn't as finished as yours. I loved the pixel art! Wish I could be as good as you, but I'm getting better! would have liked to have seen animation when entering doors though. It was great otherwise!

Thank you! I agree on the entering doors animation, but that's pretty low on the priority list. Good luck with your game!

Great work! Can't wait to see this finished. The influence from Spelunky is particularly noticeable.

Glad to know someone's able to notice that this isn't a direct Cavestory clone :P

Thanks for the input, all!

#35 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8173 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

I've heard of this error before, but I've never gotten it myself. I don't know why it happens. What is the whole error message?

I know what's causing this! I know what's causing this!

The main problem is that when saving numbers to a file, and they get decimal places (which nearly always happen), some computers save the numbers with a decimal dot, and others with a decimal comma.

Game Maker, being american standardish, will think of a number with a decimal comma as invalid data; it accepts only the decimal dot as a decimal operator. But the file_write_real function would use the native interpunctation of the computer, which for european computers would be a comma...

To make sure this thing never happens, you gotta use

file_text_write_string(fileindex,string(value))
This will also strip the number of any roundoff err decimals, so that it will appear as an integer (if you're into how a real is stored, you know why those extra decimals appear) which is actually is (even though it may be slightly off due to the way a real is stored, namely as something like "3.456872345623*2^5, equals ALMOST 14 and is treated as 14 by Game Maker").

Ah, anyway, convert the values to strings - that will make the decimal dot become a dot and nothing else. To be really, really sure no error occurs on loading the data, just use this code to load data:
data = real(file_text_read_string(fileindex))
That will take care about reading that decimal dot no matter what language zone your player is in.

Your game looks lovely, I'll check it out when I get time.

#36 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:34 PM

Um... Is this game almost finished?
I've been wanting to play this for a long time.

#37 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:08 AM

*Useful information*

Wow, thank you so much. I don't think I'd ever have figured that on my own. Now, I can't tell on my own computer if it fixes the problem yet or not, but it doesn't cause any problems either. Which is a good sign. I guess we'll find out when I release another demo.

@yalmic
No, it's not yet halfway finished. Truth be told, I'd lost my motivation for several months. However, the game is back on track now. It's your choice whether you wait for the final or play the demo, but the demo probably won't ruin the experience for you if you do play it, and I appreciate all the feedback I can get in the earlier stages anyways.

Edited by BENJAMUS, 04 December 2010 - 01:09 AM.

#38 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:27 AM

Well...
Can the saves from the demo work in the newer demos?
I hate it when I lose motivation for a project.
It seems like the bigger and longer the project the less motivated I feel.
Sigh...

#39 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8173 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

BENJAMUS, are you interested in having the party character flawlessly follow the lead character around (rather than having the lead character transforming) and jump between platforms and stuff and never get stuck? I've recently found a method for this which I could give you the code for... if you want it. I don't have enough time to fully explain it right now.

= EDIT =
OK, now I've got time.
Here's how I thought: The problem with an ally following you around is to make sure it won't lose you by falling down somewhere and not getting up again. If enemies does that it's neglible, since after all the player's glad when enemies - that are a sort of obstacle - sorta gets rid of themselves. It's something completely different with having your healer falling down twenty storeys since she didn't jump properly... Sonic games solved this problem by having Miles Prower being able to fly, and every time he got lost he would appear flying (and being able to fly trough walls) and land himself on the very piece of ground Sonic stood at. (In the more recent games, such as Shadow The Hedgehog, the ally just respawn near you. That looks ugly, especially on moving platforms where the ally instantly falls down again)

The idea I got was... The player character can only be at "accessible" places. The player won't ever be halfway into a wall. The player will only pass trough OK places. The player's ally should be just fine if (s)he took the same path as the player...
So what if the player saved this path somehow? Let's look into expanding xprevious/yprevious into something even better... the Previous Array.

In the create event of the player we put something that defines this array:
for(c = 0;c < 20;c += 1){
 xprev[c] = x
 yprev[c] = y
}
allyoffset = image_xscale * 5
//allyoffset will make ally appear behind player when
//standing still, rather than being at the same spot

In each step (begin, normal, OR end - your choice) we update this array, as well as the allyoffset.
for(c = 18;c > 0;c -= 1){
 xprev[c + 1] = xprev[c]
 yprev[c + 1] = xprev[c]
}
allyoffset = max(-5,min(5,allyoffset - image_xscale))
//Assuming you use image_xscale to flip the hero's
//sprite rather than using one spr_left and one spr_right
Finally, we should make the ally move to the memorized position. The ally is pretty easy to code, (s)he only needs a End Step event and nothing else:
with(obj_hero){
 other.x = xprev[19]
 other.y = yprev[19]
 if(other.x > x){
  other.image_xscale = -1
 }
 else{
  other.image_xscale = 1
 }
}
You may of course want to have some code there to animate the ally to e.g. have jump animation whilst in mid-air and so on, but you'll figure out how to do that with the method you're using, I'm sure.

=EDIT END=

Anyway, some feedback:
The game needs a title screen of sorts. So that there's an easy method of loading a saved game on bootup.
As well, the game needs some music - it's not as immersive as it would've been with some sort of BGM (which deducts from gameplay). You could use more or less anything as placeholders (On To Grasstown? Emerald Hill Zone Theme? Kid Icarus Fortress Theme?) as long as you have a disclaimer screen shown at startup (before the title screen) with some text "Currently I use the music X, Y and W2. Those are just placeholders until I compose my own music (and that process is nearly halfway done!). Please don't be offended because of this.". It really would make the game feel even more fun to play (and make navigating the Gardens feel more like <exploration> than <being lost in a giant area where everything look the same desperately trying to get back to the Town>)
And finally, after getting out from the boss room I went lost. It would be nice to have the map system work properly, so that you get an impression wether you're going in the right direction or not. It was kinda annoying to wander around a silent garden with no real idea where you're supposed to go.

I'm swedish so I put more emphasis on negative items that need to be improved than on the positive ones that are polished enough... I hope I don't discourage you. The gameplay itself is pretty solid, with a single gripe of mine: when being hit by an enemy, it would be kinda nice if the character had some more visual damage-taking effect. Namely, they should be knocked back (set xspeed to negative image_xscale something, set vspeed to some value like -3, perhaps have some red circles fly out, and have a sound effect that sounds like they say "Ouch" in a 8-bit fashion. For reference: Castlevania 1 when Simon gets damaged) by the enemies. Sure, this may make you having to pull of a certain jump again, but meh.

Oh, and while on the subject of enemies... There's a cave in the gardens where you enter from the right-hand side of the cave, then go to the leftmost area, climb a wall, and jump to the righthand area to get a heart extension. One of the mushroom enemies are placed on a platform (on the left wall, right before you jump to the mid-air platforms you need to cross to reach the right-hand area) you need to step on to make the jump, and the only way to get rid of it is to jump into it and kill it whilst invincible (or time double-jump and shooting nigh perfectly). Fix that, it's a little piece of very annoying level design. I'd recommend you to make the platform one block longer so that it's possible to shoot the enemy without being inside it; and perhaps make the mid-air platform a bit shorter on the left side to compensate.

Edited by Yal, 08 December 2010 - 04:26 PM.

#40 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:46 AM

*More useful information and criticism*

Thank you for your detailed replies, Yal. As for the party character following the lead character, I don't think this is entirely necessary, although it would be a cool effect (and would admittedly make a lot more sense than the current transforming between characters). I haven't looked deeply into the code you provided, and my understanding of arrays isn't exactly superb (I understand them, but I'm just not used to them yet), but would the method you suggested also account for moving platforms? That is, if the lead character made the jump to a moving platform, but the party character missed it slightly due to difference in timing, what would happen to the party character?

Now, to address your feedback:

Regarding the title screen, I completely agree. I started on that once, but ran into some weird bug that I wasn't feeling up to fixing at that moment, and never got back around to it. I have a title screen image drawn up and everything already.
Regarding the music, I think I'd have to agree with you. If I can find good placeholder music, then I might as well add it to the next demo (giving credit where credit is due, of course).
Regarding the map system, I've been having some issues deciding exactly how I want it to work. I'm thinking of redesigning some of the Garden and some other areas to make them more navigable and memorable (which hopefully will result in less people getting lost).
Regarding the knockback when taking damage: I think this is a great idea. It most likely wouldn't be hard to program at all, just some small changes that need to be made in my coding. Currently, the player does turn red for a small time when hit, and there is a sound for getting hit.
Lastly, regarding that one enemy you pointed out: is the area you were talking about purple colored? I think I know what you're talking about, and I've always found that one a little annoying myself, I just never got around to fixing it. There are a couple other parts like that that come to mind for me that I should go fix. I've just moved that enemy to a different location where he is easier to hit without taking damage.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

@yalmic: Chances are, save files from older demos will produce errors if used in newer demos.

Edited by BENJAMUS, 26 June 2011 - 05:54 PM.

#41 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8173 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

I haven't looked deeply into the code you provided, and my understanding of arrays isn't exactly superb (I understand them, but I'm just not used to them yet), but would the method you suggested also account for moving platforms? That is, if the lead character made the jump to a moving platform, but the party character missed it slightly due to difference in timing, what would happen to the party character?

As for the code, there's a little errata in it... Get to this topic and get the fixed code from there... Sorry about that, I was typing the code from my heart and missed a little important line...

The code will simply remember the last 20 positions the player's been at, and move the ally to the 20th position of those. So it's kinda like the xprevious variable but with a longer memory. It should work fine with moving platforms as well, as long as they don't move too fast, but there's fixes for that as well (for instance, add the value of the platform's speed upwards/sideways to all array entries using a loop like this):

for(c = 0;c < 20;c += 1){
 xprev[c] += platform_hspeed
 yprev[c] += platform_vspeed
}
...that'd simply shift the entire memorized path along the vector the platform will move, and thus the ally will follow you flawlessly.

In fact, Benjamus, it was the image in your sig that made me invent this code system (I thought that the characters followed each other in Vertex before I played it, I got jealous, and worked with getting a good method for getting that to work in my game. And when I found out... well, I'm a nice person so I wanted to show you it.)

Oh, as for music... If you can stand MIDI files, I could send you an assortment of things I've composed with a bunch of ripped music as well. You may only use the music composed by me in Vertex and not in any other project whatsoever, unless you have my written permission. Just so that you know the drill ;). I'll PM you a download link on wednesday. If you're not interested, say "no" before it's too late.

Edited by Yal, 13 December 2010 - 01:59 PM.

#42 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

Can you darken the gfx, they are super bright. Also the background needs some work as well.

#43 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8173 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

Can you darken the gfx, they are super bright. Also the background needs some work as well.

No, it's just you that have your screen brightness too high.

#44 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:19 AM

Oh, as for music... If you can stand MIDI files, I could send you an assortment of things I've composed with a bunch of ripped music as well. You may only use the music composed by me in Vertex and not in any other project whatsoever, unless you have my written permission. Just so that you know the drill ;). I'll PM you a download link on wednesday. If you're not interested, say "no" before it's too late.

Feel free to send anything you want me to have access to, and I may or may not include it in the demos. In the final product, however, I intend to have the music be of my own composition.

Could you be a little more specific? I have no way of knowing what graphics and background you're referring to.

#45 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8173 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

Sorry about the long wait for the music, Benjamus, I forgot about it completely... I'll PM you about it right now.

#46 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:01 AM

Hey, all! It's been a long time; progress has been slow, as my second semester in school this year was much tougher than my first. However, I'd like to announce that I'm getting relatively close to releasing a new demo. In the meantime, I've just finished making a little teaser video that includes clips from all over the game (including lots of new areas) and some of the music I've made thus far! Enjoy:

I modified the opening post to include this video also.

#47 nxs

nxs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:10 AM

What are your plans for future development?

#48 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:59 AM

What are your plans for future development?

Well, my "plan" is to work on it when I have the time and the juice, and make whatever progress I can where I can, while I can. Seeing as I have all the graphics, programming, and music to do myself, I always have some aspect of the game I can work on. One of the benefits of working non-commercially. To put it simply, I plan to just cruise along as I have been, and I don't have any final release dates in mind at all. Relatively soon I'll be releasing a new demo - which I plan to be the last demo until the final release. After that I will open a DevLog for Vertex on the TIGSource Forums, in which I will more frequently post small things like screenshots and tidbits of music.

#49 nxs

nxs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

Amazing.

Edited by nxs, 25 June 2011 - 05:03 PM.

#50 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

So! It's been a long while since any updates for Vertex have been posted, so I'd like to let you all know now that another huge update is getting much closer! So stay tuned, the third public demo is coming soon.

In the mean time, here are a few screen shots of newly updated areas (please note that there are also quite a lot of new areas coming in the next demo) :

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And lastly, I drew some concept art of Lira using Inkscape (her in-game idle sprite is shown in the bottom right corner for reference) :

Thank you all for your continued support!

Posted Image

#51 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

I only played for like 10 min, but It's a really atractive game! The graphics are good and everything is smooth.. I must admit this is not my type of game, because at first I was very excited, but got bored and quit when I lost myself in the map, because I like to explore everything, and it was so big and confusing :P
Anyway, I would have liked to get to the second boss, because this game is worth playing! Keep it up!

#52 Artwark

Artwark

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:38 PM

I must admit, you're amazing. I didn't had to play your game because seeing it is good enough! You're just like Derek Yu.

So did you went to drawing classes?

#53 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1861 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

Just posting to say I'm still stoked for this.

#54 yourtexthere

yourtexthere

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:15 AM

Jeez. This game is AWESOME. I mean, like it's close to Cave Story, it's that awesome. The artwork's even better than Cave Story though. Also, in your concept art, not to be a perv but you sorta left out the other boob. :I

#55 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

Ahoy! It's been a long time, but there's been a huge update: the final public demo is available! :biggrin: Check the opening post for details.

#56 jeko

jeko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 13 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

cool *_*

#57 yaddab

yaddab

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

I've been playing this today after it was featured on the weekend download over at JIG. I must say I am very impressed so far. Humour is great, I will not give anything away but I really do feel the need to talk to everything ... especially the cats. Difficulty seems about right to me - and I suck at these games although I do enjoy them. Wasps seem a bit random and horrible though.

There was a bug I came across though, when Lira was fighting Silax she became invulnerable and then stayed that way until I switched characters which was all the way up the moving spiked platforms that followed the Silax room and the rolling boulders in the next one. For info I entered the room as Lira, and she was fighting from the left hand ledge.

I can see from this thread that this project has been ongoing for a long time so qudos to you for keeping at it. I am sure the final release will be a smash.

#58 ariugh

ariugh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Wow, this looks AMAZING. Looks kinda like a castlevania/cavestory hyrbid, with a lot of stuff I've never seen before thrown in there.
Hopefully this gets released soon! I'm looking forward to it. You could totally sell this on steam :D

#59 Kgummy

Kgummy

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

Found a bug: You can buy both the bow and insta-clock item in the shop, but not have enough blue gems to be able to buy it. It ended up giving my blue gem count a 'negative'. I'm guessing this has to do with yellow gems being worth more, and can be converted from blue to yellow or something. I didn't get enough to roll over, though. I had 1 yellow gem left, but it didn't convert it to blue gems, if that is indeed what is going on.

If they don't convert, then it seems a bit off to require them for one-use items, when you can only get a limited amount of the blue/yellow gems. (Unless they are only available once, which still doesn't make much sense for a temporary, one-use item. I didn't buy them because it didn't seem to be a good 'deal' for the money.)

And I'm having a bit trouble with the boss that 'alerts' to you (The one similar to the first enemy but with WAY more health, and is in a room with three ceiling crawler turret type enemies), as it seems entirely random as to if he 'sees' you or not. If he's not supposed to 'unsee' you, then he randomly appears to do so. As far as I can tell, it has to do somehow with jumping. Of course, now I beat him, and find out that he's just a really powerful enemy type. That has a LOT of health. Unless there's some sort of item that permanently increases your damage, and I somehow missed it, it seems a bit much to put him in the very next room, next to a key that you need, with OTHER enemies around him.

Unless the whole challenge of the game is to have enemies that have what seems like ten times the health you do, and your damage seems to be scaled to do damage that would be more suited to an enemy with your health. It just kind of seems that the final level was stuck at the end of the demo, with no scaling to the lack of equipment you have. I can't even get back to check for items that I missed, if I indeed missed any, as after I attempted to fight a gear boss, failed a few times upon dealing less than a tenth of the damage to his health bar (the fact that the hearts spawned in 'unlocking' the boss put me in a spot to take just as much damage, if not more, in just attempting to get them). When I try to return, the section is locked, me needing to pick up a key that I had picked up before, but is now inaccessible because I'm on the wrong side. I guess this was the warning that was mentioned? Shame that I saved on the wrong side, then.

The game is great, it's just frustrating to reach a steep incline of difficulty, which seems impassible, unless I missed something, which I can no longer go back to get.

Edited by Kgummy, 01 April 2012 - 03:42 AM.

#60 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1861 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Ahoy! It's been a long time, but there's been a huge update: the final public demo is available! :biggrin: Check the opening post for details.

Jubilations! Got around to playing this today and it's totally asweetsome. Don't have much to say other than awesome job, the saves aren't borked anymore, and I just talked to Happy guy. That area was pretty fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users