Speedmaster

Fionn Hodgson

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

Total Anarchy

Author: Fionn Hodgson /Speedmaster
Licence: Freeware/ Creative Commons
Feel free to share this game publicly, so long as you make it clear this is the beta version.

Version: GM8 - Suitable for XP, Vista and 7

Game Version: Beta. Story missions are still not included, however some side missions are available.
File Size and Format: 44MB ZIP

Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter: Click Here

Game Description:
Total Anarchy is a long-term Game Maker game that pushes the software to the limit. Prepare for a rich and expansive GTA-like experience. This game includes over 70 unique vehicles, 12 exciting weapons, 7 fully scripted radio stations, and a vast array of high quality sounds. You get to wreak terror and destruction on a richly detailed, massive city rendered fully in 3D. Every sprite has previously existed as a 3D model so the graphics are rich and coherent.

Posted Image

This is the Beta version. Not included are the story missions and the unlock-able content that comes with them. Please note that cheats have been included in this version to enhance the gameplay experience. You can bring up hints, controls and cheats by pressing F1 in game. There's still lots to do in the city, you can take part in gang wars, drive taxi fares, take the fight to the police and initiate in rampages. There's also a tank hidden somewhere in the city!

Download Links:
Patch 0.9.1.1 coming soon!
Click Here download directly.

New! YoYo Games Link: http://www.yoyogames...4-total-anarchy
I hope you enjoy the game. Please report any bugs and glitches and I will make a list and post them here. This is still a continuing project with future versions on the way so testing with feedback is still critically important. Thank you.

Posted Image

Bug List - What will be addressed in the next Patch:
-Nasty One: If you Load a saved game, the resources wont load properly - no radio, no alpha, no sound. You can still load games though, just start a new game first - ESC back to the menu and then click the Load button. I'll have this fixed sharpish.
-General reoccurring collision problems. These can range from minor glitches to random teleporting.
-HUD weapons sprites need cleaning up slightly.
-May add WASD movement and rearrange controls.
-Some pop-in when travelling at high speeds.
-Player set alight and looses health when walking through fire.
-Snowcloud club has wrong exit.

Edited by Speedmaster, 25 March 2010 - 12:19 AM.

Posted Image

#2 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:14 AM

sweet.. altho i just downloaded the WIP not 2 hours ago >_<

#3 Yourmom

Yourmom

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:01 AM

Just tried it, and its easily the better of Crimelife, definatly the best Top down 3D game ive ever played. Missions would be great though.

#4 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:51 AM

Very cool and slick looking... The collision system might be a little better. Check my collision scripts in my tools...

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#5 Speedmaster

Speedmaster

Fionn Hodgson

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I'm planning to release a Patch for this beta in the next week or so, in order to get that loading thing fixed and to try and get rid of any other bugs that are reported. I'll just pack a second EXE into a new ZIP file and post that link next to the original beta link.

@icuurd12b42
Your examples appear to be very useful. I'll take a look at them in the next week and see if I can successfully integrate them into my project for the benefit of the collisions. If so, I'll be sticking your name into the opening sequence.

Posted Image

#6 willlewis

willlewis

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 346 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:08 PM

Seems very buggy at the moment... Here are some bugs I found:
- The background of the 'unarmed' sprite (above your health) is sometimes black, rather than transparent.
- A car changed colour... It was white, then it crashed into another car and turned yellow.
- The Uzi (or whatever it is) did not work.
- Mouse aiming did not work. (Is it meant to?)
- The water on the East side of the map has a jagged edge. (In your screenshot it doesn't, but it does on my computer)
- Cars go under one another...
- It says you can move with W, A, S and D; but you simply can't.
- Some lamp posts have incorrect models.
- When moving at high speed certain objects appear on-screen.
- When you move between rooms, some areas look completely different. e.g. ground textures change (grass-road).

Suggestions:
- Stop cars from disappearing when the room changes: check for other cars and people around you, and create them in the next room.
- Reduce intensity, and increase range of headlights.
- Reduce handling.
- Instead of police officers standing the other side of a car and continuously shooting the car, they should run around the car and then
start shooting.
- Walking through fire should set you alight.

Apart from the bugs, this game is very impressive ;)

EDIT: I just re-read this, and it seems very negative. Just to assure you: this is a positive comment :)

Edited by willlewis, 11 March 2010 - 01:14 PM.

#7 youknowwho

youknowwho

GMC Member

• 54 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

Wow I've been waiting for the release for a while... AWSOME!!! I know you've been working on it since like 2006... am i right? Anways its awsome and you should make it an mmorpg.

#8 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:28 AM

Its finally here! Been waiting for this for a long time.

Well, first I would like to point out that this version lagged more than the pre-beta, and it only lagged in the city rooms, would you happen to have any ideas in mind to reduce the lag?

Secondly, great job!

Thirdly, I strongly encourage you to add a custom radio station, I think this will be a really good feature ;)

I also have some other suggestions for the final version:

Fix the loading bug (I know you were probably willing to do that anyway, but its important)

Add more rampages and killing sprees

Add ambulances and firetrucks, with their side missions, also add a police (vigilante side mission)

Add purchasable properties (I didn't notice any in this version, are there any?)

Add a functional cellphone ( I recall you added that feature in the city of New Verago before it turned into TA)

Hope that's not too much!

Take your time, this beta has quite a lot to keep people busy :)

Edited by magma24, 12 March 2010 - 05:59 AM.

#9 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 12 March 2010 - 06:21 AM

after 'crashing for the night, yeah' ..player was stuck in wall.. had to reset.. i was suprised at this bug O_O

gfx a little choppy on my PC (1.8ghz, 1.5gig ram, 128mb radeon 9000 gfx) ..mainly when lots of particle effects were on screen (smoke, fire) ...you should look into use of Icuurd's 3D particle engine.

a little frustrating using keyboard movement.. but could easily adapt.. mouse aiming seems more natural..

a rich, detailed game.. well done.. if i could, i'd develop a little fortress in game, recruit gangbangers and then try to take over the city :)

#10 Speedmaster

Speedmaster

Fionn Hodgson

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:09 PM

Right, I've got a good list of things that I can fix now.

From what you and others have helpfully reported, I can hopefully fix the majority of the issues in this version.

I'll get to work on the patch as soon as I have the time. It's a hectic few weeks though, as I have a new job, exams, and about 6000 words of essay to write this week.

Posted Image

#11 Urbanturkin

Urbanturkin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

Oh this is really nice, you´ve done a great job in this one, how long have you been working on it?

Oh and the collisions with the cars really felt smooth ;)

I don´t have any bugs to report that haven´t been reported yet so this is all I have to say right now.

Great job and keep up the good work! :)

Edited by Urbanturkin, 16 March 2010 - 05:33 PM.

#12 Joe 2987

Joe 2987

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:52 AM

Great game, but runs extraordinarily choppily on my machine:
1.6 GHz Pentium 4
640Mb RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 6200

Quick question: are garages implemented yet? Or are they even still planned?

Bugs:
- Enemy bullets don't do damage for a while. I can basically just stand there shooting at the cops and letting their bullets hit me for a really long time.
- Radio stations don't work. Ever.
- Tanks only use phaser(?), not main gun.

Suggestions:
- Speed up bullets/projectiles. When I can drive faster than the bullets the cops are shooting at me, there's a problem.
- Reduce police roadblocks (the car ones, not the walls) on the bridges just the tiniest bit.
- Make the helicopters do something other than just follow you around slowly (bug?).
- Police station.
- More indoor buildings and put the entrances to other rooms on map.
- Breakable barricades (walls across roads on lockdown).
- Garages if they're not there already.
- Boats/helicopters.
- Ninjas. Nuff' said.
- More recognizable gangs. (Are the purple ones gang members, or just peds? And the orange ones are cops? What the....?)
- More cash for killing peds. Stealing £1? Not. Worth. It.

Just some ideas.

Great game, I hope to see it improve further in the future.

Edited by Joe 2987, 20 March 2010 - 06:44 AM.

#13 Speedmaster

Speedmaster

Fionn Hodgson

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

^^
^^

Your specs just aren't up to scratch I'm afraid. You'll need a faster processor and better GPU.

This may be why the radio stations don't work - either that or you haven't extracted the files from the ZIP properly.

The tank fires rockets if you hit the space bar, or the left mouse button.

You can get up to £50 for every ped killed, you get combo scores for fast killing.

I'll make a note of your other suggestions, thank you.

Edited by Speedmaster, 20 March 2010 - 10:20 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Joe 2987

Joe 2987

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

Switching out to a better processor later today. The GPU is, I'm afraid, not fixable right now. Music shouldn't be affected by the GPU. As for killing peds, I mean that a single ped being worth £1 at the beginning is a little unrealistic. Now, I understand it's for better gameplay, but it still bothers me a little.

The tanks I was referring to were the AI tanks.

Just a clarification of what I meant. I'm sorry, I reread my post and it was a little unclear. Thanks for the help.

Oh, and one more bug:
-Cars occasionally drive on the wrong side (their right-hand side). It's a little confusing.

#15 Fishman92

Fishman92

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:37 PM

This is very good, nice radio- you picked some good tracks :)
Sometimes though lights appear as squares, as if their masks haven't been loaded, but this was solved with the start new game/ load solution.

If you drive over a pedestrian slow enough, you will pass through them.
Mouse aiming needs fixing:)
And put in the map! I keep getting lost.

Apart from those gripes, I have just wasted two hours playing this, nice work. Any plans for full release?

#16 GMTechnical

GMTechnical

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 266 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

That's a large file size, though I can see why.

Find Me on the Net:
Youtube | YYG (Obsolete) | Multi Theft Auto

Feeling that GM 7 nostalgia...
Not crediting for ripped sprites?  Me neither.

#17 Speedmaster

Speedmaster

Fionn Hodgson

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:19 AM

Yeah I really ought to patch this up. My A2 exams end in June so I'll work on it some more afterwards.

I've also noticed that some lovely person or other has drummed up a Gamespot page for this game, and a feature video too.

And like, it's now got some magazine features as well. Gawd damn it, it's not a full release - too much publicity!

Don't forget, you can download full versions of the radio tracks for free on my website - click my signature image.

Cheerio!

Posted Image

#18 Speedmaster

Speedmaster

Fionn Hodgson

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

Next month I'm going to release the first official patch for Total Anarchy.

Rather than release it as an update, I'm going to simply rewrite all of the download files so you will have to re-download the entire package as a separate release. I know it's another 50MB to download, but this is 2010 and 50MB really isn't that much any more. Besides, the patch will include several features/fixes worth the (free) download.

• Fixed all loading/saving bugs.
  • Numerous collision errors fixed.
  • Numerous fixes to graphical issues.
  • Increase in performance.
  • Less sound issues.
  • Mouse aiming more stable.
  • Additional missions and activities.
  • Faster menu.
  • More interiors and map detail.
  • Changes to radio stations with new songs and DJs.

Posted Image

#19 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

Next month I'm going to release the first official patch for Total Anarchy.

Rather than release it as an update, I'm going to simply rewrite all of the download files so you will have to re-download the entire package as a separate release. I know it's another 50MB to download, but this is 2010 and 50MB really isn't that much any more. Besides, the patch will include several features/fixes worth the (free) download.

• Fixed all loading/saving bugs.
  • Numerous collision errors fixed.
  • Numerous fixes to graphical issues.
  • Increase in performance.
  • Less sound issues.
  • Mouse aiming more stable.
  • Additional missions and activities.
  • Faster menu.
  • More interiors and map detail.
  • Changes to radio stations with new songs and DJs.

Glad to see "Increase in performance" on that list, this version lagged more than the last!

Hope the patch fixes the saving bug :)

#20 Nerd42

Nerd42

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

Wow, this is one of the most awesome independent games I've seen in a long time!!

I'd love it if you put some of my music on one of the radio stations in it http://nerd42.net/

Edited by Nerd42, 07 August 2010 - 12:41 AM.

#21 Speedmaster

Speedmaster

Fionn Hodgson

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:11 AM

I have some news regarding Total Anarchy.

The 'patch' is actually going to be the final version - it's why it's taking so long, that and the fact I've been hampered by this terrible curse called 'IRL.'
Expect that soon(ish.) It'll replace the whole download so you'll all have to download the whole thing again, all FIFTY MEGABYTES of it. Please don't complain, it's 2010 - not 1994. 50 MB is a few minutes on most broadband connections. I'd let you whine if it weren't free or something, besides some PC game patches are in excess of whole gigabytes nowadays. GTAIV has consumed quite a significant chunk of my hard disk since 2009!

After Total Anarchy is finalised and released, I have already made plans for the next game in the series which is going to be even MOAR 3D. I've been studying different 2.5D engines and I've successfully created a top-down 3D pedestrian prototype that allows for a Chinatown-Wars-esque camera but in HD. It'll look mega-sexy when it's all finished.

As for the question above... well I'll be opening auditions for music when the game is underway. I want to feature lots of internationally underground as well as local artists in the next game to make the soundtrack as fresh sounding and unique as possible. Please don't be offended if I decline your offers, as I'm a musician myself and have an entire back catalogue of electronic music to use as well as numerous old friends who I owe a tracklisting. I'll be mainly on the look out for original live bands playing rock, funk, soul and even stuff with a world flavour.

Keep following my blog for more updates and in depth articles about how the game is being made as well as the ability to ask public questions - www.fionnscreations.tumblr.com

Posted Image

#22 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:29 AM

I'm fine with having to download fifty megabytes again, this game is worth it anyway :D

About that Chinatown-wars camera prototype, could you post screenshots of how its going so far here or maybe on your blog?

I am really interested to know what it looks like :)

#23 endlessmp

endlessmp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

cool!!! How did you make the Graphics?

#24 coco13

coco13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:58 AM

Pretty cool. Add more missions. 5/5
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Speedmaster

Speedmaster

Fionn Hodgson

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:39 AM

Hey y'all!

I know it's been five months or so since I last posted here but I'd like to keep you informed about the project.

I have a new website with a section explaining exactly what's going on with Total Anarchy - http://fionnhodgson..../total-anarchy/

Cheers dudes!

Posted Image

#26 Questionare

Questionare

(BEN)

• 160 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:13 AM

This looks really sick, but with my internet connection it would take like an hour or two to download. Maybe I'll download it sometime, it looks really awesome.
Posted Image

#27 KillaDragn

KillaDragn

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:14 AM

Hi speedmaster can you give me a code on how you made those crates move on player touch it would help me alot thx

#28 BlinkCode

BlinkCode

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

Wow this is just amazing, great job !

Posted Image

#29 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• GMC:Member
  • 1437 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

<post destroyed>

Edited by A!ex, 21 September 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#30 jaypee

jaypee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 7 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

you could publish a map of the city as well, would really help people explore

Loading_zps4bc1e36e.png