Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

Title: Sonneillon
File Type: .exe
File Size: 7.26 MB
About:
Sonneillon is an RPG with puzzle based gameplay, also my Competition05 entry. You assume the role of Jacob Lansley, a simple family man who's life was shattered in an instant. Recovering from an acute case of amnesia, your memory of that dreaded night is cloudy. You spend your time in the game scouring your house for clues and items trying to remember what exactly happened to your friends and family, but most importantly, why whatever it was that happened did not happen to you...

Screenshots: Posted Image

Host-A download: Download Sonneillon_1.1.exe

YoYoGames download: Sonneillon @ YoYo
(If you do play the game at YoYo, I would much appreciate you giving the game a rating as well - thanks)

Sidenotes: The opening and closing to this game contains ALOT of text to read. Please don't let this deter you from the game, I just wanted to establish some very firm plot roots before you are turned loose. I ran a stopwatch alongside myself the last time I played this through, and even fast forwarding through the text of the game and going directly to every items location and directly solving each puzzle, it took me 11 minutes to complete the game. Without knowing anything about the game, you should be able to enjoy a decent amount of actual playtime.

Posting: Please, respect this type of game and do not post item locations, secrets, plot information, or how to solve the puzzles. I would like for everyone who wants to play to get an equally enjoyable experience of finding things out on thier own.

I had a lot of fun putting this game together. I hope that some of you have a fun time playing it through.

~JsmithLMSL~

Edited by jsmithLMSL, 05 March 2010 - 02:38 PM.

Like Horror? Click to play ----> *SONNEILLON*

#2 Shadow Link

Shadow Link

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1615 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:37 PM

Decent game! It was well programmed, no glitches or anything. My only gripes are that walking was a little slow (but not too horrible), and if you fast forward a dialog and hold space for too long, it will skip the current dialog text before you can read it. I also liked how you can interact with a lot of things - it added some nice depth to the game. Other than that, it was pretty short. It only took me about 30-45 minutes to beat (walking around everywhere), but that's just an estimate. If I were able to walk faster, I would have beaten it pretty quick, which might say something about its difficulty. I don't know if I'm just good at these games, but it felt a little easy. Also, if you ever plan on improving the game, making a sequel, or making another game similar to this, here's a great method of organization: http://www.squidi.ne.../entry.php?id=4

#gmc - It's like that treehouse club you always wanted to join
Hyl2CGB.png

#3 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:22 AM

don't you need original graphics to enter the competition?

poof_sig.png

#4 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:36 AM

@SL - Thank you for the feedback and also the link, very interesting and useful information.

@ND - It was never specified but seems to be a hot topic of conversation in the comp05 thread within the community. That being said, I will most likely have no chance because I did use some 'free to use' sprite sheets I found on the net. Doesn't really hurt my feelings though, I just wanted to complete a decent game for once and the guidelines of the competition sounded challenging and fun. Did you take a couple minutes to try it out?

#5 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

That was an okay game. Like mentioned above, the movement was far too slow. Also, there were some graphical collision problems. Not to mention some of the graphical styles were clearly different than others, and you had a grid-effect going on (this is where tiles are placed so you can clearly see where one tile begins and ends).

There was a good amount to interact with, but the actual interaction was a bit minimal.

Decent game. :angry:

Jeremiah

Edited by TheJeremiahLarson, 02 March 2010 - 10:41 PM.

LarsonCreativity

#6 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

Thank you for your honesty, Jeremiah. I'm glad you thought it to be decent overall and I appreciate your input.

~J

Edited by jsmithLMSL, 02 March 2010 - 02:11 PM.

#7 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:16 AM

it was alright. I liked the story line of what I reached but the game was just too slow for me.
good luck in the competition.

poof_sig.png

#8 ricesteam

ricesteam

GMC Member

• 39 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:00 AM

I hope you deal well with criticism. :P I'll try to be as constructive as possible. I'll start with the bad news.

Looks like an interesting story, unfortunately I was unable to finish it due to the fact of the slowness of the game. This game reminds me of those oldschool Lucas Arts/Sierra point and click adventure games, except this is much slower. This is due to the slow rate of interaction you give to the player. I'm sure you have lots of interactions in the game, but it's ruined by the fact that the player moves so slow in between each action. A long time is spend just walking to things and it gets monotone or boring. An obvious fix is to make the character walk faster, or give it the ability to run (hold space). Due to the nature of this competition its hard to add more actions to the character w/out harming the controls for the player.

Another fix is to use unique and pretty art style so there's cool things to look at when the player is walking slow. Unfortunately, this depends on the artistic ability of the creator or the artist of the team.

Another limitation is the small resolution for this type of game. In essence, adventure games are hidden-item games -- you look at the screen for pixels that may advance the game plot. As a player of this game, I have to squint a lot to see if I can find items to advance the game. This could be a subjective issue, but my eyes started to strain and I couldn't stand it any longer. On another medium, this would be more tolerable (at least for me). Again, due to the competition, you are restricted.

I also have trouble reading the font. It sets the mood, yes, but I can't read some of the words. This could be due to the problem above with the small resolution.

Other then that, I think the setting and mood is amazing. The music goes well with it and vice verca. I like to know the story, but I just couldn't stand the slowness and I got bored to continue any further.

Of course, game genres is a subjective issue and some people will think the opposite and are fine playing slow games.

Good luck in the comp :)

#9 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

@ Ricestream - I deal with critisism very well and thank you for your review. If one doesn't know their faults, how can they improve? <_< Unfortunetely, like you noted, a lot of what made your experience mundane can not be fixed due to the mini-resolution rules of the contest. There is quite a bit of interaction in the game with the enviornment, pretty much anything that isn't the ground below you has somewhat of a unique dialog to spit back at you. One thing I can do right now to inprove the game, and now have done, is double the speed of Jacob (for those who have not played this yet, Jacob is the character you control).

That said, if you feel like it, please give it another go and see if the increased speed makes your journey a little more enjoyable.

This game reminds me of those oldschool Lucas Arts/Sierra point and click adventure games

Al Lowe is my hero. :)

Edited by jsmithLMSL, 05 March 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#10 thebogeyman

thebogeyman

The Boogey Man

• 514 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:19 AM

Well, I beat it. It's pretty polished and well presented but the gameplay needs work.

I found myself starting out by looking around and not knowing what to do and getting kind of bored. Then after I finally found the first step of the trail, the rest was way too easy.

The problem is with so many objects to search and with them in different places it becomes more of a "search everything" type deal rather than actual thought-based actions. The items were a little too obvious as to what they did and too many of them were just keys anyway. Sometimes getting an item would even TELL you what to do with it, that ruins the mystery. The completion path was way too linear and after a room was unlocked and searched there wasn't really any point in coming back.

The story was good in the sense that you put time, thought, and effort into it, but it was a little generic and "convenient" if you will for a game. The cutscenes were done well but the ending was kind of easy to see coming. The references to the story by interactions with objects were well done, also.

The graphics were good, the interfaces (for lack of a better word) were pretty good too. Overall the game had a pretty nice presentation.

Overall, it's an interesting game but I think the gameplay would have worked better if it had been free of the competition restrictions. Nice to see an old fan of Mystery Manor coming up with his own take on the "Mystery RPG" genre, even gave me a bit of deja vu.

Coincidentally enough, my soon-to-be-released competition game has some of the gameplay aspects found in Mystery Manor and this game, although it's very different for the most part.

Edited by thebogeyman, 06 March 2010 - 01:38 AM.

#11 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:05 AM

Hey BM, I'm glad you got a chance to play it. Good feedback too, thanks. I've learned a lot from the criticism I've received and obviously being a big fan of your Mystery Manor, I appreciate your input greatly. I still search once in a while to see if a part 2 has been made yet :wub:.. I'm looking forward to seeing your competition entry.

-~J

#12 thebogeyman

thebogeyman

The Boogey Man

• 514 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

Well thanks that means a lot to me.

And I hope you didn't take my post as pure criticism; there's a lot that you did right with this game. Particularly in attention to detail and a nice bit of polish. The graphics too were very nice I just didn't say too much about them before because it was my understanding that you didn't make them all so I didn't know what/how I should compliment.

And if you'd like to hear some more about my new game feel free to PM me. I just don't want to clutter or derail your topic because that surely wasn't my intention when I mentioned it. The only reason I thought to mention it was because it's kind of an offshoot of MM so I thought you might be interested.

Edited by thebogeyman, 07 March 2010 - 08:33 PM.

#13 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

I'm a huge fan of adventure games, horror games and murder mysteries, so my expectations were pretty high for this. They weren't met.

On the technical level, the first thing I notice is lack of fullscreen. It seems some people think fullscreen will disqualify you from the competition but they really don't mention that. The resolution of the game doesn't really change, it's just upscaled. Also, holding down the button will auto-skip text completely. It'd be better if I had to press the button again after a line has finished scrolling in order to skip.

I'm going to basically spoil stuff up until the point where I've gotten right now (beaten it now but I'm not spoiling it all that way), so CAUTION SPOILERS STOP READING NOW!

*There was text here. It is gone now.*

Also, the writing style is widlly inconsistent. Sometimes Jacob will narrate, but other times some other entitiy will narrate and refer to Jacob as "you". It'd be a lot better if Jacob just narrated everything. So instead of "You search the floor and find nothing", it's "I can't find anything on the floor". Would keep things a lot more proffesional-like I think.

Edited by zeddidragon, 23 March 2010 - 07:03 PM.

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#14 graham

graham

Artist and Programmer

• 523 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

I liked it a lot. Very well done, the only real problem I had was the predictability of the ending. I had no problem with the writing.

Great job!

KBDJ - Mix without the expensive stuff
GameJolt . GLPRODUCTIONS.co.cc

#15 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:38 AM

@ Zeddidragon - Ouch! but thanks, it's good to know the things that lacked. I would however appreciate if you would honor my request of not posting spoilers and please remove your spoiler post. You can easily state how much you disliked the entire game without giving away the elements that solve puzzles.

EDIT: I do appreciate that you played the entire game, though you really disliked it, before posting your opinion.

@ Graham - Thank you for playing, I'm glad you liked it.

Edited by jsmithLMSL, 23 March 2010 - 01:50 AM.

#16 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

I'm not so sure I can. In either case i made the text light yellow and within a quote box so the only people it would be spoiled for would be the ones highlighting it after the clear warning of spoiler. In addition to this, the only puzzle it says how to solve is the very first one, and with the lack of any meaningful inventory system all you have to do to solve that puzzle is to pick up the required items and the puzzle will solve itself.

Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#17 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

*removed*

Edited by jsmithLMSL, 23 March 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#18 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

As you wish. I won't deny I that I try to amuse myself when I write things (or that my sense of humour is crude, silly and childish), but I still feel that not really a whole lot was actually spoiled there, nor would the spoiled party have anyone but themselves to blame.

Edited by zeddidragon, 23 March 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#19 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

@ Zeddi - I have modified my previous post as well, and thank you for removing the spoiler block. As to what is left in your post, I do thank you for your honest review. I've learned a lot through the feedback I have recieved both good and bad, a good majority from your post. If / When I create another game in this manner, I feel confident that the loose ends and strange / unrealistic situations will be corrected creating a much more enjoyable experience.

#20 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

I shall look forward to it!

Allow me to clarify my previous statement: When I said that I didn't think I spoiled much, I didn't mean it in the sense that "This is crap, who cares if I spoil it?". I meant that for the most part, I only wrote how not to solve the puzzles. I apologize if it came out otherwise.

We cool, then?

#21 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

We cool, then?

Absolutely. ^_^

#22 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

http://dailly.blogsp...petition05.html
(Small review of Sonneillon from one of the COMP05 judges)

Thanks to everyone that played my game and rated it. :lol:

#23 Darkenblade

Darkenblade

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

Whoa, playing it now.
I so far like this game, the story seems good.
Gameplay isn't bad, a bit glitchy with some collisions.
I can guess the story already, but of course I won't spoil it.
Great work, keep it up.
But I could not find that code out.

Edited by Darkenblade, 25 August 2010 - 04:34 PM.

169eydl.jpg
Bug Wars RPG - play alpha now!

#24 jsmithLMSL

jsmithLMSL

Katamari Devotee

• GMC Member
  • 1328 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

Good ol' fashioned bump!