57 replies to this topic

#1 Ablach Blackrat

Ablach Blackrat

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 1215 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

Firstly, congratulations to OpticalLiam for making it into the Hall of Fame with Adrenaline. The game is well worthy of being there.

Now, for the bad news...

Apart from this last week it can't have escaped anyone's attention that the last few months have been fairly slim for the Cage Match. There haven't been many votes cast nor have there been many replies to the matches. After much consideration and a discussion with the Moderation staff it has been decided to put the Cage Match on temporary hiatus. Be assured, this is by no means permanent (it has happened before).

I've been thinking of this for several weeks now and I believe it is the right decision. I held off until now out of respect and fairness for OpticalLiam. With all respect to his competitors it did seem all too likely that he would make it into the Hall of Fame and I didn't want to rob him of that.

As for why we decided to do this, it was just the lack of community interest. For the most part, I have been choosing most of the games when people failed to respond to my PMs about their game being picked. As one member pointed out to me some people may be a little taken aback at being nominated and simply don't have time to find a game that they like enough to nominate. Regardless, the Cage Match is supposed to be a community event; it doesn't seem fair to have me picking the majority of the games. I myself don't really have a lot of time and have made some pretty unfair choices (I'm not knocking anyone's games, but sometimes there is no comparison.)

Another factor is the creation of the Reviewer's Choice Forum. In that forum, members of the community review what they consider to the best of the best, and have time to give some thought to their choice. I find this to the better choice to highlight some of the better games out there. Don't get me wrong, the Reviewer's Choice was never meant to replace the Cage Match but it does seem to work a little better.

The Cage Match will return but for now I think it needs a little rest to recover from its staleness. When it does return hopefully there will be some changes to make it more of a community event and hopefully make it better.

As well, I will leave this topic open for now to hear what the community has to say and if they have any suggestions for improving the Cage Match on its return. Please do no PM me directly concerning; please use this topic.

#2 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

As for why we decided to do this, it was just the lack of community interest. For the most part, I have been choosing most of the games when people failed to respond to my PMs about their game being picked. As one member pointed out to me some people may be a little taken aback at being nominated and simply don't have time to find a game that they like enough to nominate. Regardless, the Cage Match is supposed to be a community event; it doesn't seem fair to have me picking the majority of the games. I myself don't really have a lot of time and have made some pretty unfair choices (I'm not knocking anyone's games, but sometimes there is no comparison.)

What if members voted games into a Cage Match? There could be a list of games, and members would vote for whichever game they think deserves to be involved in a Cage Match. Of course, someone would have to compile the list of games to vote for, but I think this could improve the fairness in matches. Also, such an idea would inevitably lengthen each Cage Match, because there would be two votes held (one vote to get in the Cage Match, and another vote to decide the winner). A longer Cage Match is not necessarily a bad thing. The lengthened time would mean an increased selection in games, and I believe it would also increase the significance of each Cage Match.

~LC~

#3 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

Be assured, this is by no means permanent (it has happened before).

Pff, no it hasn't.

The last time it was "taking a break" it was actually "permanently over" wasn't it? :D

#4 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

What exactely does "a little rest" means? Is it a subtile figure of speech meaning that we are supposed to say "Rest in peace"?!

#5 SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny

The Wanderer

• GMC Member
  • 1262 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:00 PM

I hope that the Cage Match will return soon. It is by far one of my favorite features on the GMC, and I would hate to see it go anywhere. However, if people aren't participating, maybe it's for the best. I'll ponder this and see if I can think of any new strategies to improve the Cage Match and get people involved again.

#6 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

i was actually getting bored of the cage match anyways

hopefully there'll be a lot more good games by the time the cagematch returns

#7 Exwhyzed

Exwhyzed

The Perfect Pedant

• 656 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

I concur with SilentXXBunny. Perhaps, the Cage Match could be between popular Reviewer's Choice games, thus combining the elements, and keeping followers of either and both happy with the result.

#8 NAL

NAL

(ง ͠ ͠° ل͜ °)ง

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 814 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

I do quite like the Cage Matches, though it sounds like they're going downhill community-wise so a format change would be welcome.

Still, the memories of missing out on the Hall of Fame due to losing round four by one vote spring to mind :D

Edited by NAL, 27 February 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#9 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1170 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:56 AM

Auuughhh noooo!

I loved the cage matches! Ever since I started with game maker my ambitions always included to have my games get into the cage matches... and when I finally started getting in, it was a dream come true! I was unbelievably proud when Assassin Blue and Crazy Over Goo became the closest consecutive HOFs from one member, and I was really looking forward to attempting a new record with a 3rd HOF game. Hearing about this really depresses me, actually. How long a wait are we looking at?

#10 garrlker

garrlker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:33 AM

Auuughhh noooo!
How long a wait are we looking at?

A couple months to a year. I doubt any longer but you never know.

#11 Ablach Blackrat

Ablach Blackrat

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 1215 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

The last time it was "taking a break" it was actually "permanently over" wasn't it? :(

The Cage Match has been suspended twice as far as I can remember. The first time was when the person who ran it before me quit and the second time I shut down in frustration after numerous matches were runied through cheating.

How long a wait are we looking at?

We have no timeframe as to when it will reopen.

What if members voted games into a Cage Match?

Perhaps. But then the games with the highest vote count would probably win the Cage Match. Maybe some system by which we select games from randomly suggested games by members of the community, rather than by the participants themselves. We'll have to work on it.

#12 TD Games

TD Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

I think it would be best if you re-open the cage match just after Competition05 finishes, that way there will be more games to chose from and more members would get involved.

#13 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

Maybe some system by which we select games from randomly suggested games by members of the community, rather than by the participants themselves. We'll have to work on it.

That sounds better. Either way, I think you should move away from the old system. :)

~LC~

#14 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:42 AM

I think the main problem with Cage Matches is that people generally don't know about them, or at least, they aren't having them shoved at their face on a regular basis. I, for one, love cage matches, but more often than not I don't vote for either game because I completely forget that one is going on.

The Reviewer's Choice forum was a great idea. One reason it's working so well is that it's actually a forum, not just a puny little subforum hanging around in the depths of "Game Maker Creations," one of the largest and most complicated forums on the GMC. If you want the Cage Matches to come back, they should probably have their own forum. That way, they will be accessible to people, and anyone browsing the GMC will be sure to take a look through and see what's new.

#15 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

I think the cage match should continue, but go on for a month/fortnight. I always checked out cage matches, but lacked time to try out the games thoroughly. A month would give plenty of time to try out both games, and have time to vote. It would also give the members of the cage match time to check, and to pick games to replace them.

#16 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:44 PM

I think the cage match should continue, but go on for a month/fortnight. I always checked out cage matches, but lacked time to try out the games thoroughly. A month would give plenty of time to try out both games, and have time to vote. It would also give the members of the cage match time to check, and to pick games to replace them.

Two weeks seems like a waste of time to me. I highly doubt that the average member spends the whole week playing the games before voting on them, and I doubt tacking another week on will help in this respect. There is no guarantee that it would do much to increase the number of members who respond with a game of their choice either.

#17 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

Two weeks seems like a waste of time to me. I highly doubt that the average member spends the whole week playing the games before voting on them, and I doubt tacking another week on will help in this respect. There is no guarantee that it would do much to increase the number of members who respond with a game of their choice either.

How is it a waste? It isn't about spending the whole week playing the games, it's about finding time to play both games.

Of course there is no guarantee, but it hopefully increases the chances of members picking a replacement game.

I dunno, I just hate to see the cage match 'go under'... :P

Possibly, if people got back into using the banners, the cage matches would get increased publicity.
Posted Image

I hardly see people use these at all, these days.
I had been hoping to nab one o' them myself for one of my games.. :) It's just sad to see the cage match go.

#18 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:26 AM

I dunno, I just hate to see the cage match 'go under'... :)

And I hate to see someone attatched to the past. Get over it, it's been over a week. :D

The difference between these and the ones before, is that we can actually reply to this topic. :)

#19 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:57 AM

Desert Dog, I think it'd be a waste of time because I don't think it would improve matters very much, for the reasons stated before.

The banners are a good idea. Perhaps we could make some sort of dynamic banners people could put in their sigs that would automatically link to the current cagematch topic? That would probably increase publicity.

#20 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

Dang. Well this sucks. I've always wanted to get my game into Cage Match but now it looks like I may not get that chance.

I think that the reason Cage Match isnt getting alot of attention is because its hidden away at the bottom of the creations forum. I think if it was by itself, like the Reviewers Choice forum, it would get more attention.

Also, I like the idea of people using banners, if I ever get into the Cage Match I'll use one for sure.

#21 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

What if members voted games into a Cage Match? There could be a list of games, and members would vote for whichever game they think deserves to be involved in a Cage Match. Of course, someone would have to compile the list of games to vote for, but I think this could improve the fairness in matches. Also, such an idea would inevitably lengthen each Cage Match, because there would be two votes held (one vote to get in the Cage Match, and another vote to decide the winner). A longer Cage Match is not necessarily a bad thing. The lengthened time would mean an increased selection in games, and I believe it would also increase the significance of each Cage Match.

~LC~

I agree with LarsonCreativity. Also, maybe giving voters, say, 40 days to vote for each vote would be better as sometimes it does take a while to check out some games.

But there's still the problem of the Cage Match being closed.

#22 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

What?
40 days to vote?

What were you drinking when you thought that up?

By that time, everyone who voted on the first day would've forgotten about the cagematch! :P

Edited by makerofthegames, 25 March 2010 - 09:53 PM.

#23 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

40 days is a little extreme. Who takes 40 days to play a couple games?

#24 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21987 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

I always felt that the lack of a prize if one of the problems with the cage match... Maybe there should be some sort of reward system for those that win? It would certainly up the interest in the matches! But I have no idea what the reward could be as (obviously!) it couldnīt be financial... And I also think that Larsonīs idea of having two (or more) rounds of voting would be a good thing as it involves the community a bit more.

And how about a yearly Grand Cage Match where the community votes for the best of the best? ie, only the winners of that year would be included and we have to vote on which of the cage match winners was the best of all? i think that would also add more incentive to vote and comment as well as have your game included...

#25 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

Mark, we already have a vote for the "best of the best."

We do it every 100 cagematchs, recently it has been changed to every 50.

#26 millzyman

millzyman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

I reckon people get put off it because it seems a bit of a chore. They say to themselves "Oh i'll do it later" or completely ignore it all together. Now i am not sure what this would be but we need some type of attraction to lure them ( i am sure travel agents are experts at this). We need a reward for doing this. People liked been noticed, so an idea would be "Top contributor of the cagematch" where the person who has responed the most in cagematches (limited to one per cagematch i guess) would be seen as first on this list. Advertising which has already being suggested isn't enough really, unless someone was willing to bring something such as the "Cagematch Magazine" into effect (but knowing that most gm magazines fail.... goodluck), the last thing i can think of is adding more than two games into the cagematch occassionally.

Just a few ideas to get people started all of them probably not being so good.

#27 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

I think the best way to get people to vote is actualy to have the current cage match vote up in the green bar at the top of the GMC.
I'm not talking about a link, rather something like.

Cage Match: game1 vs game2
(.) vote for game 1 <link to game1>
(.)vote for game 2 <link to game2>

(not realy a quote)

where the (.) is a radio button. when you vote it switches to a horisontal bar chart for the 2 games and shows how many each got.

I personaly never realy go into gamemaker creations and as such forget about the cagematch (I only ever voted for 1 cage match).

#28 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

That would make this even less personal..

#29 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

I think it is a great idea, but I don't see how it would be implemented.

#30 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:08 AM

Oh it could be implemented, it would just take some meddling and you know the admins (for good reason) are against that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users