There is a difference in pirating something you would have bought if you didn't pirate it, and just pirate it.
That's a cop out. If your going to pirate something, you want it. If you want it, you will pay for it.
The only exceptions would be people who are literally unable to purchase things... (I *believe* that people in Russia(for example) have difficulty making online money transactions.)
But that isn't the point I'm making, the point I am making is that there is definitally a big difference between shop-lifting and pirating.
Of course they are different.
Cat burgling and pick pocketing are different, too.
EDIT: Oops, I misread you.
Yes, pirating don't make any developers lose money.
You simply cannot get their money, or remove money from them by pirating..Am I wrong?
If you had said lose profit, then read the above.
No, lose money is a perfectly fine terminology. Don't make the mistake that software developers simple make the product, and from then on it's just 'profit'. Such an attitude is naive, software developers are just like any other business/company, and if they don't turn over cash, they fold. Simple as that. Not purchasing there products, and instead, pirating them 'chokes' them of the money that would otherwise come in, and possibly force them to even fold, or seek a more lucrative occupation. The time&money spent developing the software was lost.
The facts is knowing the developers, and caring even a little for them. For example, the creators of World of Goo released there game without DRM, or any sort of protection. It's my understanding, that 90% of the full version installations were pirated games. That's a huge number, and if it wasn't for the other 10%, chances are 2D Boy would no longer exist.. at least, not to make games.
This is the story all around for any game/software developer, although I think that 90% is generally quite a high stat (and why most games have DRM...)
Simply arguing that your unlikely to buy the game, anyway, so they aren't losing anything is ridiculous and a cop out.
My point is this: If you steal from a store, they lose money because it removes a chance of someone else buying said thing. Pirating does not work like this, because it is digital. Like I said, if you steal an entire row of CDs (assuming it's the same CD) they lose some serious cash in theory. If you pirate the same thing 50 times, it's as if you did it once.
And if you've already pirated it, then you won't buy the CD, and neither will anyone else who's already pirated it. The only real difference, is that now the CD company are losing money, too.
Edited by Desert Dog, 02 March 2010 - 12:01 AM.