#1 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:05 AM

Posted Image
Competition05 Demo

STORY (FROM THE IN-GAME INTRO)

Somewhere or another, at some time or another, there was a country called "Monster Land"...

It used to be a bustling country, filled with candy and puppies and other such goodness.

Then, one day, a Great Wizard decided to use his powerful magic to rule the land.
He summoned an army of Monsters to scare everybody into giving him all the good stuff.
Unfortunately...
it didn't really work out that way.

He forgot to give the Monsters language, and they couldn't understand any of his orders.
As a result, they simply wandered about, eating all the food and generally being a nuisance.
The Wizard was (of course) not happy.

In his Wizardly rage, he created 3 Great Beasts to exterminate the renegade pests.
But again, he totally spaced on the whole 'speech' thing, and only succeeded in creating really powerful pains in the butt.
Eventually, everybody moved away, leaving the Wizard to clean up his own mess.

Many Heroes have quested to Monster Land, only to be defeated by the Wizard's army.
Our story opens on two low-class Adventurers, as they prepare to write their own chapter in the book of Monster Land...

(LOL)

MESSAGE FROM THE DESIGNER

WOW YOU GUYS. Finished and uploaded at exactly 11:58 GMT. Am I great or wat?
Well, not finished exactly. I kinda slacked off last night (arrrrrrg) and only managed to finish the first 2 levels + the tutorial.
Both bosses are in there, tho, and I didn't skimp on the silly between-stage dialogue.

Here's me hoping, you guise. Wish me luck.

MESSAGE PT 2

Just so you guys know, I do plan on finishing this all the way forever ohyeah. Hell, I already made everything, shouldn't take me more than a month to put it all together. So look forward to that, and in the meantime, enjoy the Competition05 Demo Version.

CONTROLS

Left/Right : Walk
Up : Jump/Double Jump (with full Stamina)
Down : Interact
Space (Tap) : Attack
Space (Hold) : Charge Magic
Space (Release) : Cast Magic
ESC: Open Menu/Quit Game
P: Pause Game

SCREENSHOTS (OLD)

It's General Bossman, you guise.
Posted Image
The Menu! WOOOOT!
Posted Image

All graphics/sounds/engines made exclusively by Broken Shadow.

Comments/Criticism are (as always) greatly appreciated.

Edited by broken shadow, 31 March 2010 - 12:39 AM.

#2 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

well it was pretty good, but i dont think your allowed to use shift space and arrow keys unless they have changed it since i last read the topic. and some of the graphics had wierd edges on them and i dont think they allow fullscreen either.(As said i havent checked if anything was changed since i last visited the post)

Posted Image

Also i kept hitting shift and it kept showing info and restarting the game 4 times to be exact...

#3 kotero

kotero

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:45 AM

Defeated the first boss :)
It's very fun to play so far, but sometimes the character could attack the enemy even the character is not facing them. Maybe this isn't a bug and it how it should be?

Good luck!

#4 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:32 AM

well it was pretty good, but i dont think your allowed to use shift space and arrow keys unless they have changed it since i last read the topic. and some of the graphics had wierd edges on them and i dont think they allow fullscreen either.(As said i havent checked if anything was changed since i last visited the post)

Posted Image

Also i kept hitting shift and it kept showing info and restarting the game 4 times to be exact...

1) Shift restarts the game: it's just a debug tool I forgot to take out before uploading. Oops. XP (Why did you keep hitting Shift?)
2) Didn't see anything about fullscreen in the Glog post -- actual screen size is 480x272, just like the rules state. If fullscreen ain't allowed, I'll just disable it before I upload the final version ("Planned Contest05 Entrant").
3) None of the graphics do that on my computer... anyone else have this problem? I'm curious what could be causing it.
EDIT: Looking at your screenshot, that stretching is definitely NOT to proper scale. Did you take it in fullscreen, or windowed mode?

@Kotero: That's an easy fix -- the sword is on "precise collision checking", and in the first few frames, the tail is out behind the player. I'll fix that tonite.

Edited by broken shadow, 25 February 2010 - 12:34 AM.

#5 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:31 AM

This game hit me right in the OH MY GOD I LOVE LOVE PRPGS. The graphics are delicious like chocolate pudding and the sound is crunchy. The magic seems absolutely garbage in this demo compared to just wailing at the enemy with your sword (seeing as it does the damage of a single, uncharged slash).

The name of the game will depend on the story of the final product, but for now I suggest The Legend of Mille's Dog: Revenge of Lupine-Napping Ghosts

One thing that did irk me graphics-wise was the particle-effects. I'd much prefer if you made the particles drawn in the same style as the other things in the game as opposed to GM's stock particles which doesn't suit the graphics you've got going.

3) None of the graphics do that on my computer... anyone else have this problem? I'm curious what could be causing it.
EDIT: Looking at your screenshot, that stretching is definitely NOT to proper scale. Did you take it in fullscreen, or windowed mode?

I have this problem too, using fullscreen here. What you need to do to fix it is to have an extra pixel blank between the tiles in the background you're using because when Game Maker smooths out the graphics it blends the current pixel with the pixel on it's left/top in the background it's smoothing thus causing lines from out of nowhere.

Edited by zeddidragon, 25 February 2010 - 02:35 AM.

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#6 heyufool1

heyufool1

Fail

• GMC Member
  • 1651 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:42 AM

Not bad! A few suggestions though:
1. Don't make the game start in full screen (it looks MUCH better windowed)
2. Either make the spell do more damage or make it cast faster because it's not worth using as it is now.
3. Make the sword attack instant when you press space, the delay is kind of annoying
4. Add some background music

Other than that it's a great start, and I didn't find any glitches! Good work!

EDIT: By the way, I don't think I experienced any graphical errors like the ones posted above.

Edited by heyufool1, 25 February 2010 - 04:02 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:54 AM

i took it in windowed mode but it did it in both to see if there was a difference and it did it either way.

and i kept hitting shift coz im on a laptop and the arrow keys are so tiny...

Edited by Jakyl11, 25 February 2010 - 04:05 AM.

#8 Lithium

Lithium

Spitfire Member

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:14 AM

I also get the graphical errors, same as Jakyl's. The problem is the resolution of my screen, it happens with most game maker games for me. An easy fix is to draw the sprites at round x and y.

E1JdWqS.png

FCO now in Alpha testing phase

http://fco2.forumotion.cc/

#9 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

EDIT: Here is a POSSIBLE FIX for the drawing problem some people are experiencing. 80% probability it won't work, but if someone with the problem could DL and see if it does, I would be very grateful.

@ Zeddidragon :

- Yeah, the magic DOES blow.

- And also, there are no particle effects... don't know where you got that -- everything's sprites, with some simple alpha-channel-fading. I'd LOVE to have some more sprite-like effects (fireballs, explosions, etc), but that's the one thing I really suck at spriting.

- Great title, btw. XD

- And could you explain that last bit again? I'd really like to fix this problem, but... I don't really get what you're saying. (Maybe I'm just tired)

@ heyufool :

- I generally enjoy fullscreen more, but I guess others seem to enjoy the windowed mode, so... consider it changed.

- As far as the spell goes, it will be MUCH more powerful in the future - kinda a stock spell right now, just to showcase the controls.

- With the sword: really nothing I can do there. If you check the language in-game, you don't attack when you PRESS space, but when you RELEASE space. Attacking on the PRESS makes the magic system impossible to accomplish. (Not the best control scheme, I know, but it's the best I can do within the contest restrictions)

- There is background music -- music I worked quite hard on, in fact.

Thanks for the comments thusfar, you guys -- it's helping me a lot with the next release. Keep 'em coming!

Edited by broken shadow, 26 February 2010 - 12:08 AM.

#10 heyufool1

heyufool1

Fail

• GMC Member
  • 1651 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:16 AM

- With the sword: really nothing I can do there. If you check the language in-game, you don't attack when you PRESS space, but when you RELEASE space. Attacking on the PRESS makes the magic system impossible to accomplish. (Not the best control scheme, I know, but it's the best I can do within the contest restrictions)

- There is background music -- music I worked quite hard on, in fact

Oh I didn't know it was on the space release. And maybe I had my own music playing when I was playing the game... I'm not sure I forget but if you already of some then never mind about my previous suggestion.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:44 AM

- And also, there are no particle effects... don't know where you got that -- everything's sprites, with some simple alpha-channel-fading. I'd LOVE to have some more sprite-like effects (fireballs, explosions, etc), but that's the one thing I really suck at spriting.

Well, I was talking about the gradient-y fireballs those plants spit and the effect when enemies explode, for example. I don't like the look of those. The other sprites are gorgeous, though so I'm not sure where you're getting it from that you're bad at spriting.

- And could you explain that last bit again? I'd really like to fix this problem, but... I don't really get what you're saying. (Maybe I'm just tired)

I'll give it a try.

Posted Image

I'm assuming your tileset looks something like this. The left side shows the grid you (may) have divided it into while the right side is the same image, but without the grid. At first glance, this seems fine. You pick a square and put them up until you've got a tree built. The problem is when Game Maker interlaces within the tileset, so the left bit of the shrubbery will contain the right bit of the wood on the left.

Posted Image

Do this instead. Have some "breathing" space between your tiles. This way they can't interfere with eachother.

I'm assuming this is the problem because I've had it happen to myself. Hope this helped. :mellow:

@ heyufool :

- I generally enjoy fullscreen more, but I guess others seem to enjoy the windowed mode, so... consider it changed.

I'm all about the fullscreen, personally. As long as the option isn't removed I'll be happy.

You could try doing this:

-Pressing space will make the player attack.

-If the player's still holding space when he's done attacking, he'll start charging. (He could also be charging a bit during the attack)

-When charged, release space to cast stuff.

Gonna try out your fix now, will edit with results.

Edit: Yeah, that did diddly-squat. Sorry.

Edited by zeddidragon, 26 February 2010 - 01:48 AM.

Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#12 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:24 AM

EVERYBODY: If it's not too much trouble, could you post your Screen Resolution, and whether or not you experience graphical issues? I'm trying to resolve this problem, and could use the information.

@ Zeddidragon : - Yeah, I'm not surprised it didn't work -- it was more of a hail-mary than anything.

You're right - I generally keep my tilesets squished together, so I'll definitely try spacing them out.

My main issue is this, though: in Jakyl11's screenshot, the lines aren't the only problem. The pixels are WAY out of proportion, as if the game is being stretched out of proper scale.

- The Controls: Yeah, that's one of the first things I tried. Problem was that it interferes with the player's maneuverability -- casting spells in the air became near-impossible, and starting a charge while running became frustrating. And trust me: with later bosses/levels, maneuverability is VERY important. But then again, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to include it as a control option. I'll see if I can pull that off for the next release.

- Wasn't saying that I suck at spriting -- just spriting Special Effects. It's a moot point, though -- tried my hand at some new, less particle-ish ones, and they came out quite nice. They'll be in the next release.

Edited by broken shadow, 26 February 2010 - 02:25 AM.

#13 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

EVERYBODY: If it's not too much trouble, could you post your Screen Resolution, and whether or not you experience graphical issues? I'm trying to resolve this problem, and could use the information.

My screen resolution is 1360x768. Yes, this is not common. Yes it causes me problem with like 50% of all games ever. A typical screenshots of mine will look like this (I took one in windowed mode and it's still there):

Posted Image

My main issue is this, though: in Jakyl11's screenshot, the lines aren't the only problem. The pixels are WAY out of proportion, as if the game is being stretched out of proper scale.

You're going to have to explain the whole out-of-proportion thing to me because I'm not sure I see what's wrong (possibly because I haven't seen what's right). Try these settings in the global game settings, though:

Scaling -> Keep Aspect Ratio
Interpolate colour between pixels -> OFF

Setting for every single sprite:
Smooth Edges -> OFF (If you're using GM7)

- The Controls: Yeah, that's one of the first things I tried. Problem was that it interferes with the player's maneuverability -- casting spells in the air became near-impossible, and starting a charge while running became frustrating. And trust me: with later bosses/levels, maneuverability is VERY important. But then again, I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to include it as a control option. I'll see if I can pull that off for the next release.

Uhm, in the demo at least you can't move whatsoever when casting spells. You only float a bit over the ground and are basically a sitting duck until you cast it. Casting it in the air, then, is also completely impossible. So I was going off on what I found there. Nevermind that, I'm an idiot. You're talking about manoeuvring during the small delay before he actually starts charging. That's a neat trick!

#14 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

A great start.
Fix the small graphic error and its rly good ^_^

The only thing I didnt like was the overly colorful gradient in the inventory.

The graphics are nicely sprited btw, simple but great style =)

iBNKRoX.png

#15 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

@ Zeddidragon : A bit of an odd aspect ratio, so that may be the underlying issue. Hopefully.
Take a look at the screens in the original post. Do you see what I mean about the pixels? I guess it's a bit hard to explain.

RRRRRG. I'm thinking this may have something to do with the internal scaling (actual view size is 240x136, view port is 480x272). If so, I've got a lot of work ahead of me, as far as manually stretching each sprite, resetting the coordinates for the HUD/Textboxes/Inventory, as well as re-adjusting Jump height/Walk speed for every actor. FUUUUUUUUUUU. I really hope that's not it. I'm gonna figure out a way to test it.

@ BlaXun : What's the "small graphic error"? Is it the lines/stretching? If so, could you post your Resolution?
Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback.

#16 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:13 AM

Posted Image
Yeah, I see what you're talking about. The problems are definitely related, no doubt about that.

In addition to the things I said last time, try doing these:
-At the end step event for your control object/main character/whatever draws the HUD I guess have the following code:
view_xview = round(view_xview);
view_yview = round(view_yview);

A person suggested this earlier, but you should also make sure that all things are drawn at their rounded values. Game Maker doesn't handle low-resolution stuff being drawn "between" pixels all that well. You should be able to do this by having a parent object that's EVERYTHING's parent and put the draw_sprite_ext()-code in it with rounded values for x and y.

Also: I had trouble finding this topic again now that you've named the game. >_>

Edit:
Alternatively, try having the viewport also be 240x136 and then set this in the game settings:

Scaling->Fixed Scale->200%

This will probably break fullscreen though.

Edited by zeddidragon, 27 February 2010 - 01:17 AM.

#17 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:35 AM

Posted Image
Yeah, I see what you're talking about. The problems are definitely related, no doubt about that.

In addition to the things I said last time, try doing these:
-At the end step event for your control object/main character/whatever draws the HUD I guess have the following code:

view_xview = round(view_xview);
view_yview = round(view_yview);

A person suggested this earlier, but you should also make sure that all things are drawn at their rounded values. Game Maker doesn't handle low-resolution stuff being drawn "between" pixels all that well. You should be able to do this by having a parent object that's EVERYTHING's parent and put the draw_sprite_ext()-code in it with rounded values for x and y.

Also: I had trouble finding this topic again now that you've named the game. >_>

Edit:
Alternatively, try having the viewport also be 240x136 and then set this in the game settings:

Scaling->Fixed Scale->200%

This will probably break fullscreen though.

Fixed Scaling doesn't work -- causes fuzzyness/blurring.

I'll try rounding the values and such, and post up a demo to see if it's working. Gimme... 2 minutes.

EDIT: Here it is. (Possible Fix 2) Don't think it'll work, but hey -- it's worth a try.

EDIT2: BTW, thanks for helping me figure out this problem, d00d.

Edited by broken shadow, 27 February 2010 - 01:39 AM.

#18 Lithium

Lithium

Spitfire Member

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:15 AM

Doesn't fix it for me (resolution 1920x1080)

E1JdWqS.png

FCO now in Alpha testing phase

http://fco2.forumotion.cc/

#19 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:22 AM

Hey everybody -- found the problem (or at least I think so).
Turns out it's probably the view_port stretching I've been doing to increase screen size.

Gonna take the night to resize graphics, re-coordinate movement variables, and fix some other minor issues.

If I can get my internet working, I'll have it up tomorrow.

#20 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

Yeah, it was bound to be that one, I guess. I was completely unable to check out the possible fix because this:

for object cin_TitleMenu:

Error in code at line 4:
goto_room(rm_treeline_npctest,-1,-1);
^
at position 16: Unknown variable rm_treeline_npctest

#21 Scale18

Scale18

Lover of Tacos

• 1054 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

When I was facing the tree boss, I died after he sent out all of his little sapling buddies. Then the room restarted and I still had 0 HP, I took 2 damge and then it repeated the process again.

#22 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

yea i had the same problem as scale18 did.

#23 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

Yeah, it was bound to be that one, I guess. I was completely unable to check out the possible fix because this:

for object cin_TitleMenu:

Error in code at line 4:
goto_room(rm_treeline_npctest,-1,-1);
^
at position 16: Unknown variable rm_treeline_npctest

D'oh. I'm stupid. XP

@ Scale18 : Thanks for lettin' me know -- I'll be sure to fix it before the next release.

#24 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:32 AM

This is cool! I like the simple colors and I actually really liked the particle effects. You did a very good job streamlining a platform RPG to fit with the contest control rules, too... I'm honestly impressed! I kind of sucked at it, though, and I ended up losing all my hp before I reached the boss. So, I never got to see him. But the look and feel is awesome.

It's just too bad Andrew and I are entering this comp, or else I'd say you had a chance :)

#25 Scale18

Scale18

Lover of Tacos

• 1054 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:39 AM

Ooooh, I smell a challenge. =P

#26 Ethan718

Ethan718

Go Cubs Go

• 212 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:44 AM

I agree, this game is simple and fun. I got to the boss and lasted a little bit before getting pwnt. It had a really quick learning curve which most RPG-ish things I play don't seem to have.

Maybe when I finish my comp game I'll get time to play this one again :) Also your smack talk is funny because there's room enough for more than one person to win! Well I guess not two 1st place winners but... yeah.

#27 Vile Smile

Vile Smile

Oh, Outrageous!

• GMC Member
  • 553 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:45 AM

Two words: Old School

The music, sounds, graphics and game play definitely have a retro appeal. I also really like how you did conversations. Good work! :)

I hope you find the puppy..... ._.

banner-1.png

#28 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

Hay guise, sorry about the delay. Laptop Power Supply went dead at the worst possible time. Got a new one (lucky), and I'm back on track.

HERE'S THE FIX.

Should work, and if it doesn't, I'm going to cry. T_T

Gonna work my butt off on this today, but I won't make any promises as to a new demo tonight/tomorrow.

Funny thing -- I was actually ready to give up on this, but the positive feedback from my fellow competitors has spurred me onward. Wow, good plan guys. XD

@ Banov : I'm just glad mouse control isn't allowed, because then Dubloon would qualify, and I wouldn't even bother. Your entry is quite entertaining, though... so we'll see. We'll see. (evil grin)

PS. Anyone know the the rules on submitting more than 1 game to the Comp? Doesn't say anything in the Glog post, but I want to be sure. If I can finish this in a few days (which I probably can), I have time to throw together a little project I've been thinking up, that may leave you all in the dust. (j/k)

Edited by broken shadow, 06 March 2010 - 09:02 PM.

#29 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

Fix works fine here. But the view is not moving, so you can't be sure.
If my posts contain broken links, try looking around my website. I gradually make blog posts for any examples I make.
_.png_.gif

#30 Keiferr

Keiferr

iProgram

• 378 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:21 PM

I really liked it, good work. I'm sure you're aware that you don't regain your energy after you die, but that's why I had to quit. Damn tree boss got me.

I think this could really make a run for first place if you put your all into it.

#31 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

Fix works fine here. But the view is not moving, so you can't be sure.

D'oh. Didn't think about that.

Either way, I'm confident that this is a solution. Apparently (I did not know this) the lines are a common symptom of view_port stretching.

@ Keiferr : Thanks. Rest assured that the glitch will be fixed in the first OFFICIAL demo.

Edited by broken shadow, 06 March 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#32 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

Man, I was worried that this had died.

The fix also seems to work for me, but again it's hard to tell without the view moving. The improvements to the magic seems AWESOME to me. Good job on that!

#33 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

Man, I was worried that this had died.

The fix also seems to work for me, but again it's hard to tell without the view moving. The improvements to the magic seems AWESOME to me. Good job on that!

Don't worry, this is definitely on track.

Finished the intro/first stage last night, but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how I'm gonna do the Overworld (I tend to underplan things). Any ideas? Without any perspective, I don't really know what would fit.

#34 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:03 PM

Finished the intro/first stage last night, but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how I'm gonna do the Overworld (I tend to underplan things). Any ideas? Without any perspective, I don't really know what would fit.

I'd probably again need more specifics about the story for this, but just a hand-drawn map that's hardly more than a menu with pictures (think Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia or Super Mario Brothers 3) would work fine for this kind of game? An alternative is to not have an overworld at all if the game's mostly linear in nature.

#35 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

UPDATE! WOOOOOO!

So, the first demo is DONE. This includes the entire first level, plus a little intro using the npc system.

There are a few known issues, but those are in the first post, along with the Demo itself.

Comments/Criticisms would be sweet like candy gravy.

Edited by broken shadow, 16 March 2010 - 08:00 PM.

#36 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

Shadow, I kid you not when I say I have been trembling in anticipation for this! Thoughts about the demo ahoy:

-Hey where did fullscreen go? Did you have to remove it to fix the scaling-issue?
-I rather like the silly story. Promise me that it won't ever evolve into having to save the world, or even saving anything remotely large, really. So fresh.
-On that note, what happened to the animation Mille had going in the first beta-thing? Now s/he just changes the dialogue-portrait instead of the neato animation that you used to have, which I find far more boring.
-Not much else to say. The game is smooth and solid, sounds are fitting, music is just right, I like the graphics so much I could eat them, however-
-This game is pretty damn easy. I trust enemies will start throwing stuff and shooting things and in general be more hoppy and such in later levels, though. I actually died a couple of times at the boss which is kind of shameful since the pattern is so simple.
-On that note, I like that powerups don't dissappear. It adds a tactical element to the bossfight that would otherwise have come down to random luck.

Overall: I shall continue to gleefully anticipate the full release of Geo Spiral.

#37 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:19 PM

Shadow, I kid you not when I say I have been trembling in anticipation for this! Thoughts about the demo ahoy:

-Hey where did fullscreen go? Did you have to remove it to fix the scaling-issue?
-I rather like the silly story. Promise me that it won't ever evolve into having to save the world, or even saving anything remotely large, really. So fresh.
-On that note, what happened to the animation Mille had going in the first beta-thing? Now s/he just changes the dialogue-portrait instead of the neato animation that you used to have, which I find far more boring.
-Not much else to say. The game is smooth and solid, sounds are fitting, music is just right, I like the graphics so much I could eat them, however-
-This game is pretty damn easy. I trust enemies will start throwing stuff and shooting things and in general be more hoppy and such in later levels, though. I actually died a couple of times at the boss which is kind of shameful since the pattern is so simple.
-On that note, I like that powerups don't dissappear. It adds a tactical element to the bossfight that would otherwise have come down to random luck.

Overall: I shall continue to gleefully anticipate the full release of Geo Spiral.

Glad to have a fan. :]

- Had to remove the fullscreen -- contest rules (at least that's what everybody else is saying).

- Oh, I promise you, the story gets much, much sillier. I haven't even brought out the mustoiched wizards yet.

- Is that not working? Hang on, I'll check that out. EDIT: Seems to be working on my end, at least during the intro.
I MAY have forgot to put the sprite_change code into her NPC data in the pre-boss room. If so, know that it's simply a mistake on my part, not a design choice. (I put a lot of work into those little animations, and intend to use them to the point of overkill)

- Glad you enjoyed it.

- Yeah, I actually toned down the difficulty a LOT. My thinking was, I'd rather have confident gamers zoom through the first level and be challenged on the later ones, than have not-so-confident gamers be alienated by the difficulty of the very first stage. Tried to keep the boss somewhat difficult, though. And don't be ashamed about losing to him -- he's supposed to appear simple and easy to beat as to not intimidate players (he IS the first boss), but in all reality it's a pretty tough fight until you get the hang of it. Kinda like the bosses in the early Mega Man games.

- Glad you appreciated that, I was hoping people would get it -- it's pretty much the key to defeating the first boss.

Anyway, thanks very much for your comments/whatnot throughout the development thusfar: you've been extremely helpful.

!!!EDIT!!!

After playing through the demo again (I got sucked in while testing the NPC sprites), I thought of a couple things I'm going to add to the final game.

- Instead of randomly assigning a boost of 1-4, Attack Boost will be cumulative. Along with this, I'm going to add a little meter that shows how much boost you have. I'm ALSO thinking of making it so instead of disappearing after a set time, you lose 1 boost each time you attack, adding a bit more strategy to the battle system.

- Achievements. I know it's overused nowadays, but there are certain tricks to the game that the player really should be rewarded for figuring out (wait 'till you see the Minibots -- little guys are fun to kill). Will probably give the player Gold/Items for unlocking them, so there's an actual incentive to get 100%.

!!!ANOTHER EDIT!!!

Forgot to tell you guys: in my impatience, I've already started work on a sequel. I won't reveal too much, but Mille is the main character, and there are guns. Big ones, the kind that make things explode. Think Mega Man 3 meets Wonderboy meets Cave Story meets that awesome Jackie Chan game for the NES.

I'm going to use the same graphics template from Mille VS The World, only because it's so easy and fun to make character sprites with it, and I feel like I haven't got enough out of it yet.

Look forward to that as soon as the contest closes out.

!!!YET ANOTHER EDIT!!!
This Post Is Now A Novel

Got bored (I'm at the library, DLing stuff on the uber-fast wireless), and decided to entice you guys a bit. So, to help build anticipation for the final version, I present you with Mockups of 4 different in-game levels, including some of their respective enemies.

THE BURNING FOREST
Posted Image
THE ROBOT FACTORY
Posted Image
THE FORBIDDEN FORTRESS
Posted Image
????? (ooohh... it's a myyyysteryyyy...)
Posted Image

Enjoy the Demo, enjoy the Mockups, and (hopefully) simmer in anticipation.

Edited by broken shadow, 16 March 2010 - 11:17 PM.

#38 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

I am an excellent, dude who makes neat stuff. Also, a FREAKING SEQUEL WITH EXPLODING GUNS THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!

Yeah, the thing about the character sprites? Turns out I'm dumb and didn't notice because my attention was focused on the character portraits.

What? Oh, that green stuff that's spewing out of my mouth? I think that's hypocrisy. I.. I should probably go see a doctor about that.

-What is that little grey guy stuck between the pipes in the Robo Factory mockup? Are those the minibots?

-I like the new attack boost idea. Was kinda confused by the inconsistent attack power I'd get with them.

-Now I have to try out the Jackie Chan game for NES.
Edit: Holy crap this is really good! I think these are the best sprites I've ever seen for a NES game. They're so cuuuute!
Wait, flying Nunchucks? Oh 80s games. I should probably stop commenting on a NES game in this post 'cause the topic's really not about it.

-Actually, the thing I'm really curious about is: Mille. Dude or chick? I can't freaking tell!

Edited by zeddidragon, 17 March 2010 - 12:11 AM.

#39 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:39 AM

I am an excellent, dude who makes neat stuff. Also, a FREAKING SEQUEL WITH EXPLODING GUNS THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!

Yeah, the thing about the character sprites? Turns out I'm dumb and didn't notice because my attention was focused on the character portraits.

What? Oh, that green stuff that's spewing out of my mouth? I think that's hypocrisy. I.. I should probably go see a doctor about that.

-What is that little grey guy stuck between the pipes in the Robo Factory mockup? Are those the minibots?

-I like the new attack boost idea. Was kinda confused by the inconsistent attack power I'd get with them.

-Now I have to try out the Jackie Chan game for NES.
Edit: Holy crap this is really good! I think these are the best sprites I've ever seen for a NES game. They're so cuuuute!
Wait, flying Nunchucks? Oh 80s games. I should probably stop commenting on a NES game in this post 'cause the topic's really not about it.

-Actually, the thing I'm really curious about is: Mille. Dude or chick? I can't freaking tell!

Chick. I'm actually glad you were confused - I tried to boy her up as much as possible. I hate it when heroines in vidya games are all "ooh! i'm a fancy lady who slays bad guys! ladidadida! look at my pretty hair!". (UUUUUUUGH)

EDIT: I know, Jackie Chan for NES = best game ever, amirite?

Edited by broken shadow, 17 March 2010 - 12:44 AM.

#40 Revenge

Revenge

Dr. Broccoli

• GMC Member
  • 573 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

The whole problem with the wierd lines appearing is that GameMaker doesn't succesfully scale views by 2, 4, 6, 8 etc. YOu have to use 3, 5, 7, 9 etc or else it starts howing halves of the next pixel in a sprite or tile. I used to have this problem a long time ago, it took me forever to figure out why it happens, it's just a GameMaker bug really. So say you have a game that's 160x120, you can't scale the hport and wport up to 320x240, that will give you wierd lines. It has to go to 480x360. You just can't have even view scaling for some reason. I'm assuming that's how you got the pixelated effect anyway, otherwise I could be completely wrong.

Anyways, as usual I love your graphical style, very nice and smooth platform engines, I like the text style too. I can't wait to see where this goes!

#41 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

The whole problem with the wierd lines appearing is that GameMaker doesn't succesfully scale views by 2, 4, 6, 8 etc. YOu have to use 3, 5, 7, 9 etc or else it starts howing halves of the next pixel in a sprite or tile. I used to have this problem a long time ago, it took me forever to figure out why it happens, it's just a GameMaker bug really. So say you have a game that's 160x120, you can't scale the hport and wport up to 320x240, that will give you wierd lines. It has to go to 480x360. You just can't have even view scaling for some reason. I'm assuming that's how you got the pixelated effect anyway, otherwise I could be completely wrong.

Anyways, as usual I love your graphical style, very nice and smooth platform engines, I like the text style too. I can't wait to see where this goes!

Yeah, I figured out the view_port issues. Should all be fixed in the Demo.

Thanks for the comments, though.

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

The next 2 days are being dedicated to a TOTAL SYSTEM REBUILD. There are problems that I just can't deal with (weak NPC engine, sloppy collision events, tacked-on magic system, no usable inventory), so I've decided to do what I do best: start over. Won't take me more than a couple days (75% of the development cycle so far has been spent making sprites and designing bosses/enemies; another 20% was spent playing Fallout 3 into all hours of the night) to do the rebuild, seeing as I'm keeping the Platforming Engine, which was the most time-consuming thing to design/code, completely intact.

Now would be the best possible time to suggest changes to the core gameplay mechanics. Fixes already planned:

- Better NPC Engine
- Slow/Stun/Freeze Magic (already working, looks and feels awesome)
- Status Effects (Planned: On Fire, Frozen, Electrified, and Poisoned)
- Slower-moving, more Vertical levels (along with switch puzzles, door keys, and pushable/breakable blocks)
- More Animations for mundane things (entering doors, teleporting, etc)
- Better Control Scheme
- More advanced Boost/Powerup system
- EXP + Levelups! (w00t)
- More streamlined HUD
- A Mini-Game or Two? (no promises on this one)

And a bunch of other stuff that I can't think of right now. But seriously you guys, now is THE TIME to suggest radical changes.

Edited by broken shadow, 18 March 2010 - 11:25 PM.

#42 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:53 AM

Fun game. It mixed platforming and some role-playing aspects well, something that I don't see much in most of the Game Maker games here. The plot line was very silly, but I know that was the whole idea of the game.

I am not sure what to suggest at the moment, but if I think of anything I will be sure to tell you.

#43 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

now is THE TIME to suggest radical changes.[/b]

Seems to me like you have everything covered, actually. But if you hate having spare time so much I suggest these things:

-A combo system. This is easier than it might sound with only one button because it'd simply involve doing a regular attack and then following up with the directional buttons combined with the action button for different combos. It's also harder than it might sound because it means a lot of spriting.
-Some other weapons other than a sword? This doesn't strike me as a radical, groundwork change though. I'm rather partial to spears, myself.
-Magic that does other stuff than attacking. Like, summon a thing that hovers around you and helps you attack. Increases jumping height. Teleports you a certain distance. That stuff.

When was that comp-deadline again?

#44 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:20 PM

now is THE TIME to suggest radical changes.[/b]

Seems to me like you have everything covered, actually. But if you hate having spare time so much I suggest these things:

-A combo system. This is easier than it might sound with only one button because it'd simply involve doing a regular attack and then following up with the directional buttons combined with the action button for different combos. It's also harder than it might sound because it means a lot of spriting.
-Some other weapons other than a sword? This doesn't strike me as a radical, groundwork change though. I'm rather partial to spears, myself.
-Magic that does other stuff than attacking. Like, summon a thing that hovers around you and helps you attack. Increases jumping height. Teleports you a certain distance. That stuff.

When was that comp-deadline again?

Deadline's the 31st... yeah, I know I'm cutting it close (12 Days!) but I tend to work best in tight situations.

- I was playing around with a combo system early in development, but it seemed to take a lot away from the RPG aspects of the game. Who needs magic when you can just mash the Space Bar?
- I was actually thinking about this. I can't promise anything, but I'll see what I can do.
- Got this covered. I've already got magic that creates protective Fireballs, magic that Stuns/Slows all the enemies on the screen, magic that creates platforms, and other little surprises.

#45 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

good to see you got the graphic error fixed.
Its looking much better.
good luck!

#46 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

Whatever you do broken shadow, don't try and mess everything up and then not be able to submit a finished project.

#47 Revenge

Revenge

Dr. Broccoli

• GMC Member
  • 573 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:10 AM

Good luck with recoding everything, just don't let it end up like the last geo spiral and never end up finishing it again, because they're both kick*** games.

#48 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

Hay guise. I don't want ya'll to worry about the final project -- everything is firmly under control. Had to take a couple days off production for personal stuff, but it's all back on track.

THE NEW ENGINE IS FINISHED!

DOWNLOAD THE ENGINE DEMO HERE

If you guys notice any visual bugs (text out of place, stray graphics, etc) let me know.

NEW CONTROL SCHEME:

Left/Right Arrows Walk Around
Up Arrow Jump
Down Arrow Interact
Down Arrow (Hold) Fall Through Blocks (Finally!)
Space Swing Sword
Hold Space Charge Magic
Release Space (When Glowing) Cast Magic
ESC Open Menu System
P Pause The Game
Left/Right (In Menu) Change Menu

New stuff included in Engine V2
* Visible in the Engine Demo

- Usable Inventory*
- Shops (!) *
- Equipment (Weapon/Armor/Magic)*
- EXP+Level-Ups
- Better Controls*
- Attack Multiplier System
- Complete Magic Engine*
- Less-Cluttered HUD*
- Switches/Puzzle Objects*
- Better NPC Engine (includes movement/special effects)
- Added Scrolling Alert (for Levelups, Itemgets, etc) to HUD*
- "Larger" Stats/Stronger Enemies*
- "On Fire" (Contagious HP Drain) and "Electrified" (Normal HP Drain) States*

SCREENIES!

New HUD, New Pickup Graphics, and Switch Blocks
Posted Image
InventoryWOOOOO!!!!
Posted Image

And I think that's about it for now. EDIT: It's up!

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE DEADLINE... ALL I HAVE LEFT TO DO IS DESIGN LEVELS AND MAKE SOME NPC SPRITES. THEN IT'S ONWARD TO VICTORY!

Edited by broken shadow, 24 March 2010 - 11:28 PM.

#49 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

Looking solid from where I'm standing. For some reason I didn't get any money when killing monsters even though the messages say I do, though. Also, very little happen when I fall off the screen. Can still move around and slash, even.

Oh, and if you have your back up against a wall you can't turn towards it.

Is the demo supposed to show off the fire-status? I'm not catching any fire from the flower.

Edited by zeddidragon, 25 March 2010 - 12:07 AM.

#50 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:04 AM

Looking solid from where I'm standing. For some reason I didn't get any money when killing monsters even though the messages say I do, though. Also, very little happen when I fall off the screen. Can still move around and slash, even.

Oh, and if you have your back up against a wall you can't turn towards it.

Is the demo supposed to show off the fire-status? I'm not catching any fire from the flower.

- The money thing was a glitch. Is fixed now.
- Forgot to put Death Blocks at the bottom of the test room. Is fixed now.
- You don't catch it every time. It's a pretty destructive state, so most fire attacks only inflict it about 40-50% of the time.

Did you check out any of the new magics? You can buy 'em from the Shopkeeper. (sell the Hero Sword/Hero Armor for a total of 9998 Gold)