17 replies to this topic

#1 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

Posted Image

Ambrea is a very simple (and Mario-influenced) platform game. It is my FIRST platform game actually, so don't expect it to be perfect.
The game features 4 Worlds, bosses and an useful Password System.
Created with Game Maker 7 Lite.

YoYoGames Download

It is the story of a young boy, Wave, who must rescue his sister, Leena, who was kidnapped by demon named Vorak.
The story is set in the world of Ambrea (hence the name of the game).

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The black and white graphics was used to give the game a "GameBoy-ish" look. FamTracker was used to create the 8 bit sounds heard in the game. The game also features various BGMs from various games and original sprites.

UPDATE 15/02/2010
The character now walks faster. General difficulty reduced.

UPDATE 16/02/2010
Added a simple "Mario-ish" Bonus Game at the end of each world.

UPDATE 20/02/2010

Added a "Game Boy Filter"!

Posted Image

"Q" - Filter ON
"W" - Filter OFF

If you find any bug, glitch, or simply something unfair/wrong in the game, please let me know.

Edited by blak, 20 February 2010 - 02:31 PM.

#2 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

The game seems nice, it's a bit slow and I hated only being able to get hit once...I walked up to the boss at the end of the first level and died.
The first time, he shot something at me and I wasn't even ready. There should be more story input throughout the level.
I'll play it again in a bit and see if I can get passed it.

edit
played again and reached the first dungeon. the game needs checkpoints or health, getting hit once and having to go all the way back is terrible, especially when you walk so slow!

good luck.

Edited by Newly Discovered, 15 February 2010 - 08:33 PM.

poof_sig.png

#3 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

You're right about everything.

In fact, I've "fixed" a few things.

The character now walks slightly faster, and "attacks" more.
The "door boss" fires less "bullets", and the bullets he shoots are now slower.

About the checkpoints... I don't know how to do them (well, at least in a game like this), that's why the levels are (relatively) short in Ambrea, so it won't be too frustrating (I HOPE). The Password System should help anyway.

Thanks for playing ;)

Edited by blak, 15 February 2010 - 09:19 PM.

#4 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:12 AM

the amount of bullets and their speed were fine, it was a cinch beating the boss.
as for checkpoints, you could put the boss in it's own room, then if you die during the boss, you'll restart in the boss room.

poof_sig.png

#5 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4157 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:35 AM

Nice game. Got to zone 2 and quit after stage 2.
If my posts contain broken links, try looking around my website. I gradually make blog posts for any examples I make.
_.png_.gif

#6 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:23 AM

the amount of bullets and their speed were fine, it was a cinch beating the boss.

I guess that's a good thing.

as for checkpoints, you could put the boss in it's own room, then if you die during the boss, you'll restart in the boss room.

Fortunately, the "main" bosses of the game -which are supposed to be relatively harder- (the "dungeon bosses") have their own room.
As for checkpoints, I'll see what I can do.

Thank you very much for playing (and for your help) :D

Nice game. Got to zone 2 and quit after stage 2.

If you're interested, the Passwords appear on the top left corner of the world Map (starting with World 2).
Thanks for playing! :)

#7 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:14 PM

UPDATE 16/02/2010

Added a simple "Mario-Land-ish" Bonus Game.

Posted Image

Edited by blak, 16 February 2010 - 02:18 PM.

#8 illisid

illisid

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

I really enjoyed this! Your programming seems very smooth and I haven't found any bugs. The only thing resembling a complaint I have about the mechanics is your jump. It seems very floaty, and is the only thing that breaks the illusion of it being a Gameboy game.
Your art is great, you said you drew it all yourself? Your sound effects fit well, but your music... I swear I've heard it before. Did you get it from VGmusic by any chance? If so, what games?

If I had any suggestions for improvement it would be in level design. As it is it just feels like you move through and get to the end. There are no alternate goals (Mario land for original Gameboy had a tendency to make you want to explore because of its secrets strewn about) and it just has a general feeling of get to the end and beat the boss. Which is great, if it was what you were going for!

I got to the 4th world and died, didn't notice the passwords. Maybe you could make a separate screen for giving you the password after you beat a boss?

There's my two cents. Hope it helps!

#9 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

I really enjoyed this! Your programming seems very smooth and I haven't found any bugs.

Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks! :D

The only thing resembling a complaint I have about the mechanics is your jump. It seems very floaty, and is the only thing that breaks the illusion of it being a Gameboy game.

Sadly, I've noticed that. It is not a "Mario jump", since my character can't jump lower (or higher -he can't run faster than that) . This is where Internet will (hopefully) help me. I think I'll use some "codes" from a Mario engine to improve my character's jump. :)

Your art is great, you said you drew it all yourself?

The sprites are all mine, but the background from World 2 (the "forest") was ripped from the first Wario Land (Parsley Woods, whose BGM was also used in my game).

...but your music... I swear I've heard it before. Did you get it from VGmusic by any chance? If so, what games?

Since I'm not a composer, I use BGMs from various videogames.
The 'boss theme' is from the NES (Japan only) videogame Ai Senshi Nicol.
World 1 theme - Eggerland - Souzouhe no Tabidachi - Japan only(NES)
World 2 theme - Sonic The Hedgehog 2's Green Hill Zone(Game Gear)
World 3 theme - Megaman, FireMan's stage(NES)
World 4 theme - Double Dragon 2, Mission 4(NES)
Final Boss - Star Force, Boss theme(NES)
Dungeon - Pokèmon Red/Blue/Yellow, Cinnabar Island Mansion(Game Boy)
Final Dungeon - Faxanadu, Dwarf Land(NES)
Bonus Game - Super Mario Land, Bonus(Game Boy)
Intro - Wario Land, Parsley Woods(Game Boy)

If I had any suggestions for improvement it would be in level design. As it is it just feels like you move through and get to the end. There are no alternate goals (Mario land for original Gameboy had a tendency to make you want to explore because of its secrets strewn about) and it just has a general feeling of get to the end and beat the boss. Which is great, if it was what you were going for!

You know, I was actually going to add some "secondary missions" and/or secrets, maybe some Chaos Emeralds-like diamonds hidden somewhere in the levels. Sadly, I couldn't, mainly because I don't have too much time on my hands at the moment. This summer I'm probably going to make a sequel, and since I have (hopefully) A LOT of free time during summer, I'll try to add secrets and improve my level design!
Thanks for your suggestion! :D

I got to the 4th world and died, didn't notice the passwords. Maybe you could make a separate screen for giving you the password after you beat a boss?

Technically, the Password does appear in a separate screen (well... "room" actually...) after you beat a boss.
It appears in the Map Screen, starting with World 2 (the password has been... "censored" in this pic):
Posted Image

There's my two cents. Hope it helps!

Constructive criticism is always more than welcome. AND helpful!
Thanks for your help and suggestions. And thanks for playing! :D

Edited by blak, 16 February 2010 - 11:28 PM.

#10 Chris Vergilio

Chris Vergilio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:29 AM

This game is phenomenal!
I have always been a fan of games like these and I have always wanted to make a game like this. I could never get the hang of it, but with this you captured that Classic 8-bit aspect perfectly. I am actually quiet envious hahaha =D

10/10
Perfect!

#11 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:19 AM

Thank you!
Glad you like it! :D

#12 Scale18

Scale18

Lover of Tacos

• 1054 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:00 AM

Haha, fun game. I really liked the style you were going for it seemed very classic. But it bugged me that the player couldn't run and the boomarang does come back. You should either add a colored version or a colored sequel, either would be nice. But overall great game!

#13 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

I'm currently working on a colored version (a sequel).
Thanks for playing :(

#14 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

UPDATE 20/02/2010

Added a "Game Boy Filter"!

Posted Image

"Q" - Filter ON
"W" - Filter OFF

Edited by blak, 20 February 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#15 acrog2

acrog2

average user

• GMC Member
  • 1118 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:38 AM

I was very impressed! The whole feeling of the black and white, with the retro sounds is very evolving. The game is even more impressive because it was made in lite. The graphics have to be the high point, though, as they all fit in perfectly with the theme. Story is lacking/not very original or unique, but it plays like a old gameboy platformer. The only real problem I had with it was the jumping, which felt a little lofty, like you went up and down two slow. It would be interesting for you to make it a series, with one game for each iteration of the gameboy, with the sequel for the color, then the advance, and then the DS. Just a thought.

Great game, with perfect atmospher

-acrog2

#16 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

I was very impressed! The whole feeling of the black and white, with the retro sounds is very evolving. The game is even more impressive because it was made in lite. The graphics have to be the high point, though, as they all fit in perfectly with the theme. Story is lacking/not very original or unique, but it plays like a old gameboy platformer. The only real problem I had with it was the jumping, which felt a little lofty, like you went up and down two slow. It would be interesting for you to make it a series, with one game for each iteration of the gameboy, with the sequel for the color, then the advance, and then the DS. Just a thought.

Great game, with perfect atmospher

-acrog2

I know, the jump needs work. It's not a "Mario-Jump", since my character can't jump higher or lower than that...
I'm going to "program" a (hopefully) better jump in the sequel (which will be a "colored" sequel -maybe :D)

Thanks for playing :)
Glad you've enjoyed it! :P

#17 B Factory LLC

B Factory LLC

We're awesome!!

• 511 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:10 AM

DOWNLOAD!? NO!!!!

Please make it InstantPlay compatible!

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not

appreciate your neutrality.

Posted Image

Anti-Wikileaks Bill introduced in US Congress! (When the giant is mad, it hits hard...)

"So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause." - Padme

"The ruling class has the schools and press under its thumb. This enables it to sway the emotions of the masses." - Albert Einstein

Please check out my blog: My link

#18 blak

blak

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

DOWNLOAD!? NO!!!!

Please make it InstantPlay compatible!

As you can see, IT IS InstantPlay compatible!

Posted Image

Edited by blak, 01 March 2010 - 03:57 PM.