• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:32 AM

So I've gotten my hands on Game Maker 8 Pro, and after my total and utter dissapointment with Softwrap an GM7, I was hoping GM8 would be the Jesus of Game Maker... and it was! Right up until I closed a Sprite Editor window after working on my contest #5 entry and the whole application froze and didn't unfreeze. I even let it sit for a good 15 minutes before I Ended it's Process.
I've had the same thing happen to me 3-4 times today, it makes it impossible to steadily work on a project as you could obviously tell.
I'm assuming the same would happen with the Background assets as well... though I rarely use Backgrounds, especially when I operate with 3D in GameMaker.

And also, when I'm in the script editor, with over at least... 25 lines the editor begins to lag horridly. Why? Is it the text processing? I'll have to try disabling the processing later...

Otherwise, it was a fine addition, GM8 certainly rectified the horrible woes we endured with GM7 and I hope this bug not only gets noticed by staff, but also fixed. (there should also be a bug report menu option under the "Help" menu so forum topics like this one won't clutter the forum)

~James

#2 Revenge

Revenge

Dr. Broccoli

• GMC Member
  • 573 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:35 AM

I have had the problem with closing the sprite editor making everything freeze once or twice, but the code editor was lightning fast for me, no problems there. I never found a solution other than saving changes a lot.

#3 Frederick

Frederick

GMC Member

• 374 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:36 AM

What OS are you using? I've never had a single error with Game Maker 7 or 8 pro with XP. Maybe it's a windows related error. I've never liked Vista or 7.. :)

Edited by Frederick, 19 January 2010 - 07:37 AM.

#4 Revenge

Revenge

Dr. Broccoli

• GMC Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:39 AM

Well, I'm using 7 64bit now, I WAS using vista, but didn't like it. 7 has been a lot better, much faster too. I'm not sure if it is an OS error or not.

#5 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:40 AM

Sorry I forgot to post my specs *face-palm*

Windows XP Home Edition. Service Pack 3

Intel Celeron D Single Core 2.4Ghz
DDR400Mhz 2 sticks of 512 Ram.

I've not ever had a Windows related problem with Game Maker, ever. And seeing as other people have experienced it... it must be a pretty bad and overlooked bug.

Just a note, my computer is around 5-6 years old, I've updated it with some newer parts here and there... so the age is likely not a problem.

#6 epicCreations

epicCreations

Cool As Ace

• 1241 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:41 AM

I think I remember Mark saying that there was a key combination that could end the sprite editor if it wasn't responding, without killing the entire Game Maker process. The code escapes me, however, as I've only had problems with this once, and that was with Game Maker 6.

#7 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:29 PM

I think I remember Mark saying that there was a key combination that could end the sprite editor if it wasn't responding, without killing the entire Game Maker process. The code escapes me, however, as I've only had problems with this once, and that was with Game Maker 6.

It's great you vaguely remembered something along those lines except for 1 fact. The entire process has frozen, meaning it has no time in the CPU... it couldn't possibly register me hitting key combinations.

#8 Sydious

Sydious

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

I have had the sprite editor freeze issue MANY times myself. It's horrible when you don't have everything saved. I am "glad" to hear I am not the only one running into this issue. Wish it could be reolved.

#9 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8285 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

So I've gotten my hands on Game Maker 8 Pro

This just might be a terminology thing, but what exactly do you mean by "gotten your hands on GM 8 Pro".

If you mean you purchased GM8 Pro then log the problem on the bug fix forum. If you mean your running a crack then you're not running supported code and can't expect reliability or support.

#10 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

Happens to me too (and very oftenly).
First I thought it was because active processes, but turns out like it happens with no other active processes at all.

Edited by ramses12, 19 January 2010 - 01:01 PM.

#11 Tepi

Tepi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4238 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

I am yet to experience this. It happened a few times during my four year use in gm6, so it wasn't really a problem.

Are your sprites/backgrounds exactly what resolution in average? Also, for the code editor lag, does it help to turn off the color coding (I believe this is the only reason possible for it)?

#12 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

So I've gotten my hands on Game Maker 8 Pro

This just might be a terminology thing, but what exactly do you mean by "gotten your hands on GM 8 Pro".

If you mean you purchased GM8 Pro then log the problem on the bug fix forum. If you mean your running a crack then you're not running supported code and can't expect reliability or support.

I should have been a bit more clear on that. A friend purchased it and gave it to me as a late Christmas present because he decided he'd use C++ instead and knew I still used GameMaker.

What bug fix forum?

EDIT: (you posted right before I did Tepi :))

I am yet to experience this. It happened a few times during my four year use in gm6, so it wasn't really a problem.

Are your sprites/backgrounds exactly what resolution in average? Also, for the code editor lag, does it help to turn off the color coding (I believe this is the only reason possible for it)?

In this project the sprites are 64x64 fully opaque, and I am not using any background resources.
I've still yet to be bothered to press the F10 key... And yes we were right... Their new color coding system obviously requires more CPU time than it did before... oh well, small sacrifice (and minimal anyway, since I know the syntax inside out now XD)

Edited by James_ogden, 19 January 2010 - 01:18 PM.

#13 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

I think I remember Mark saying that there was a key combination that could end the sprite editor if it wasn't responding, without killing the entire Game Maker process.

You mean Ctrl+F4?

#14 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8285 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

What bug fix forum?

bugs.yoyogames.com

You need to create an account.

To report or look at reported bugs specific to GM8, change the project in the upper right corner to GM8.

#15 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

There's already at least 3 reports of this issue (thought they all seem to be from Vista users :/)
None of them have even been viewed yet *sigh*

#16 Nxzfreak

Nxzfreak

Mr.Spriter

• 224 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

I dont use vista and ive had that problem many times, its very annoying *roll eyes* (around 3 times a day)

#17 Recreate

Recreate

Furry

• GMC Member
  • 2986 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

That is odd, I have several dozen lines of code, no lag what-so-ever, None of this has happened to me, I use it very often, All the features, No freezing.

So, I think this is not a bug, but rather an incompatibility(perhaps with windows vista, i'll try to test it in windows 7 and see how it goes, not sure if it will do the same thing).

#18 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:32 AM

+1 for this occurring, all the time. I reported it a while ago. I doubt they'll take it seriously. Make a comment on the bug report with any info you may have and that it's not just me it's happening on.

#19 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:00 AM

That is odd, I have several dozen lines of code, no lag what-so-ever, None of this has happened to me, I use it very often, All the features, No freezing.

So, I think this is not a bug, but rather an incompatibility(perhaps with windows vista, i'll try to test it in windows 7 and see how it goes, not sure if it will do the same thing).

The original poster of this topic clearly stated that he was running XP, not Vista. And there was also another user who said he was using 7 who was experiencing the problem. I don't think this problem has a major correlation to the OS.

#20 Pinpickle

Pinpickle

Abscure Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1353 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:07 AM

I've had this a few times before. I find it occurs when I leave the sprite editor open for ages without doing anything in that window or closing it.
Hasn't happened for a while, though.

#21 gamer freak

gamer freak

Voice of Logic

• 402 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

I have experienced this bug as well, but it usually happens when I'm manipulating large sprites with many subframes. It usually occurs after I open and close the sprite editor a few times.

I've never had it occur on the project I'm working on now, which has generally small sprites.

Edited by gamer freak, 20 January 2010 - 01:13 AM.

#22 Obj_Control

Obj_Control

GM Mentor

• 2561 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:42 AM

I've never had this happen to me. I believe it is an incompatibility issue, or maybe caused by outdated hardware. I have notices that large backgrounds and sprites can take a long time to load, and there is a possibility that when they are too large, your computer won't be able to complete your "request".

#23 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:17 AM

I've never had this happen to me. I believe it is an incompatibility issue, or maybe caused by outdated hardware. I have notices that large backgrounds and sprites can take a long time to load, and there is a possibility that when they are too large, your computer won't be able to complete your "request".

What is this mentality that when someone doesn't have an issue that must mean it's not an issue.

I have recent hardware, and it happens with very small sprites. It also happens with any OS from xp-7 (so far reported). Anything else?

#24 Syynth

Syynth

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:45 AM

I've had some very strange quirks with Gm8, but nothing with the sprite editor. When I allow the code completion window to pop up, the code editor loses focus, and I have to click on the code again to be able to continue typing. When this is code (i.e. 'execute code'), hitting the cursor keys will bring it back, if i wait about half a second before hitting them. When it is instead script, the cursor keys will start to navigate the resource tree. This only happens on my desktop computer (Windows Vista), but on my laptop, I get a completely different, unrelated bug. This occurs when drawing text. Any text at all. It's all gargled, and it looks like my dog chewed it up for a bit (I'm serious) but otherwise everything works fine. And my good friend whom I work with uses Windows 7, and has no issues whatsoever (as far as I could tell), so I think these things are not really OS related. :(

Edit: Just thought it would be worth a quick mention, but the code editor problem is actually intermittent, it happens about 80% of the time I work with GM8.

Edited by Syynth, 20 January 2010 - 04:47 AM.

#25 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:18 AM

I'll put all my information in one post for those of you too careless to read the entire topic properly.

I am running Windows Home XP - Service Pack 3
My processor is kind of old, it's a Single Core Intel Celeron D @ 2.4gHz
I have a total of 1Gb RAM @ 400mHz, this is maximum speed for DDr1 Generation RAM.

This problem occurs after a minimum of 30 minutes in GameMaker 8, it hasn't happened before that time limit.
It occurs with any size sprite I make, and I only had 4 sub images, none of them had transparency either.
After I close the Sub Image window, Game Maker locks up completely, I can't escape it or End Task it either, I have to end it's process from the process tree.

As for the laggy Code Editor, my CPU isn't fast enough for the new syntax highlighting they use (which is odd because it can handle a 4000 line C++ file in Code::Blocks IDE) so to remedy that, I disabled Text Coloring (Hit F10 for the shortcut) The editor still picks up errors and will perform code-complete operations, just the coloring no longer occurs so your text is a touch harder to read.

#26 icicle.flame

icicle.flame

CyntaxGames

• 283 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:38 AM

Another error iv'e found, if you use a scroll-wheel in the code editor and let it drift past the end of the code, the whole app will freeze, minimize, and pop back up...
I haven't been able to replicate your error though...

#27 Recreate

Recreate

Furry

• GMC Member
  • 2986 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:11 AM

I'll put all my information in one post for those of you too careless to read the entire topic properly.

I am running Windows Home XP - Service Pack 3
My processor is kind of old, it's a Single Core Intel Celeron D @ 2.4gHz
I have a total of 1Gb RAM @ 400mHz, this is maximum speed for DDr1 Generation RAM.

This problem occurs after a minimum of 30 minutes in GameMaker 8, it hasn't happened before that time limit.
It occurs with any size sprite I make, and I only had 4 sub images, none of them had transparency either.
After I close the Sub Image window, Game Maker locks up completely, I can't escape it or End Task it either, I have to end it's process from the process tree.

As for the laggy Code Editor, my CPU isn't fast enough for the new syntax highlighting they use (which is odd because it can handle a 4000 line C++ file in Code::Blocks IDE) so to remedy that, I disabled Text Coloring (Hit F10 for the shortcut) The editor still picks up errors and will perform code-complete operations, just the coloring no longer occurs so your text is a touch harder to read.

:(

I have XP home edition SP3 too, Except my processor is 2.0 GHz(overclocked from 1.5GHz) and a total of 1GB(DDR2) of ram.
No problems what-so-ever.
I suspect a font problem, Or it could be that syntax checking your code is very tedious thus slow.
Try switching off the syntax checking.(unless if you have done so already)

~ReCreate

Edited by Recreate, 20 January 2010 - 06:13 AM.

#28 loverock125

loverock125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1830 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

I'm using windows xp and I've experienced this problem a couple of times too, had to retype hundreds of lines of code.

Edit: I've also experienced some other bugs,some times whenever i run the game,i get an error messagee "Wrong parameters" something like that, but the game still runs fine.

Edited by loverock125, 20 January 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#29 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

I use XP too and had the sprite editor problem. Code editor works fine though.

#30 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

Like I've previously said, the Code Editor lag was due to my processor being slower than I'd like. To Fix that I just disabled syntax highlighting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users