Changing The Pitch For A Sound

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Orteil

Orteil

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:43 AM

Okay, I've been looking everywhere and all the DLLs and tricks I've found are either far too heavy for such a simple thing and/or don't work. I tried FMOD (far too much constraints for just one thing I'm looking for), I tried SinAudio (couldn't get it to work), but I couldn't find a way to do just this one thing :

finding a way to play a sound at different pitches.

Seriously, isn't there a simple way to do that using extensions/dlls ?
Basically, I'm trying to have gibberish-speech (like in Animal Crossing, for example) where the game plays a sound at random pitches for each letter being displayed.

If possible, I'd like it to be as simple as this : play_sound_pitch(soundfile,pitch)

Edited by Orteil, 10 January 2010 - 05:55 AM.

#2 membrain

membrain

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:43 AM

I'm not sure if "SinAudio" and the dll I'm linking to are the same thing... I dont remember seeing it ever called that anywhere (but then I never rly looked that hard) but here:

LINK TO DLL

I used it last a few years ago in my game and it worked just fine and does what you need. If it's of no help to you, well... sorry my friend, I did my best ;)

Edited by membrain, 10 January 2010 - 06:49 AM.

#3 Orteil

Orteil

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

Wow, that was exactly what I needed. Easy to setup, short, simple, and it gets the work done.
Thank you, sir. You win a banana sticker

Posted Image

Edited by Orteil, 10 January 2010 - 07:19 AM.

#4 tomster1996

tomster1996

GMC Member

• 312 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:53 PM

Pretty cool DLL. I've been wondering if there was a way to change the speed or pitch of a sound. Is there a way to do this without dll's or extensions. I need the same sort of thing that Orteil wanted but in a gml script, just cause it's for a game I'm entering in comp 5.

#5 PlasticineGuy

PlasticineGuy

GMC Member

• 2384 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:30 AM

Not possible.

#6 Tarik

Tarik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2731 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

Best bet for the competition if you can't use dlls is to pre-record sounds at a different pitch and try to keep filesize down, tomster.

#7 Medusar

Medusar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1228 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

Isn't it possible to create a Doppler effect using the 3d sounds mechanism? Setting a sound to "move" towards the microphone increases the pitch.

#8 IamCalle

IamCalle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 444 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:23 AM

Isn't it possible to create a Doppler effect using the 3d sounds mechanism? Setting a sound to "move" towards the microphone increases the pitch.

Yes it is. Here is a link to an example posted before(I do not know who made it): -download-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users