VVVVVV DOWNLOAD HERE!: VVVVVV
Blimpy the Dinosaur VERSION 0.43a
Older updates are in italics
-All desert areas finished. Desert miniboss added. Grassland miniboss optimized and rain added to level. Three new guns (glock, desert eagle, and m3 shotgun). New colored buttons that open corresponding doors. Engine optimizations. New sprites for many objects and bullets. New traps to be wary of. Various bugs fixed. New leveling up system to add an RPG curve. Many other things, can't remember exactly what. NOTE: Press 1, 2, 3, or 7 in order to switch weapons!!!
-The first level for the new area has been added! Reloading sound now included. Fixed the bug where platforms stop moving when you reload on them. Completely re-did the gun animations so now it looks good no matter which way you're facing or aiming. Added recoil to the gun. Changed the miniboss level.
-Level optimization. Grassland - level 3 has a new layout (old one was bad). Miniboss changed to a tank thing instead of a poorly drawn stick figure with a fisher price toy. Several graphics improved. Gun changed. Maybe some other stuff, I forgot.
-Two new levels. Graphics improvements, engine improvements. Assault rifle sticks better now. A difficult miniboss also added!
-Blimpy now moves with platforms. Fixed a couple of nasty bugs. Added views so now it looks way better than it did, a little splash screen is also included at the top of the screen to replace the old blue area. A crude fix for the assault rifle not sticking with the character implemented. It's not perfect, but it works just fine.
-Fixed bug with music. Changed Tutorial and Grassland music to reduce file size by over 1mb. Removed springs in Grassland 2. Assault rifle now has a clip of 30 bullets, with a counter at the top. Reload by pressing R.
-Main menu added along with credits and a load game option. Major engine fixes. Blimpy now has an ASSAULT RIFLE. As if he wasn't awesome enough already. Enemies have been added, although they have no animations yet. There should be absolutely no bugs except for 2, the ever-bothering jumping onto a horizontal moving platform stick, and the new issue with the assault rifle not moving with your character when you jump and move a little at the same time. You'll see it. Since I added all this the size has jumped up a lot.
-Tutorial added, one new level.
-Sprite changed, a few things fixed/added. Forget what though. Props to Mince for the title! Go him!
-Even more wall grabs are gone. It's almost impossible to get stuck now. Please tell me if you get one and how.
-Most wall grab bugs are gone, I've found it POSSIBLE to achieve one, but highly unlikely, I tried to fix it, not working so far.
-More images per roll (smoother animation)
-Moving platform sticking and reversing and whatnot SOLVED! The one possible way to achieve a wall grab is by getting between a platform and a normal wall. Usually it will be fine and you'll either come right off, or you won't be actually stuck. But it is possible.
-One "bug" is that if you jump onto the side of the platform, you stick there and the platform stops moving. I'll try to fix this, but it's really not a big deal as you come right off.
I doubt anyone will remember this, since NOBODY EVER LOOKED AT THE LAST THREAD, but oh well...
It currently has poorish graphics and only seven levels, but I will constantly update it.
Here are some screenshots
- Twelve levels of mind-boggling epicness.
- A character that ROLLS! Yes! Just what you've been looking for right?
- Not only does he roll, HE'S A DINOSAUR WITH AN ASSAULT RIFLE!
- Spinning bears. You heard me.
- Three pretty awesome turrets.
- Some 1337 enemy raptors and a pterodactyl.
- HIDDEN spinning bears. You heard me.
- Two fricken' sweet minibosses.
- Four different guns to choose from (Two pistols, a shotgun, and an assault rifle).
- A dynamic aiming system featuring: Recoil, random spread, increased accuracy when aiming at long-range targets.
GM Version: GM8
File Size: 7.6 Mb
Screen Resolution: 640 x 480
Changes Screen Resolution: no
Planned Features (oh crap):
- 10 different worlds with 5 different levels each, including a mini-boss level at the end.
- 3 Boss levels featuring quick thinking and finger-work.
- Implemented semi-RPG elements including 10 different guns and a leveling up system.
- 21 Enemies, both ground, and flying.
- 8 bonus levels upon beating the third boss. (Maybe)
- A high score system, compare your scores with all your friends! Hurray!
- A level designer.
- POSSIBLY Multiplayer where you can compete against friends (or foes) in built-in or custom-made maps!
Oh and, this game will be VERY hard. The first two levels within this demo are TUTORIAL levels (some assembly required).
Currently known bugs/problems (already?):
- Unfortunately, you can, and will still get stuck on vertical platforms. When you do, you have to either wait, or try to roll around and jump until you get unstuck. I'm sorry, I've tried like twenty different ways to fix it, nothing seems to be working. Also, sometimes you will (rarely) respawn at the same spot where you died, often right on top of a trap, which will usually just kill you again. Unsure why this happens, looking into it.
Tips/Walkthrough/Level Descriptions (you will probably need some):
Tutorial level 1 - Spikes are bad. Obviously. Read every tutorial here if you're new.
Tutorial level 2 - Bullets from turrets are bad. Obviously. Also, if you're having trouble ledge jumping, try jumping, THEN moving left or right.
Lobby - The main level hub. Go right into the smileys at the bottom after completing the tutorial.
Grassland level 1 - Wait for the moving spikes to go down before going up at the first part, and jump down into the opening when the coast is clear at the second.
Grassland level 2 - This game is big on secrets, and this level is chock full of them. There ARE 100 points in collectables to be found here and you CAN get them all.
Grassland level 3 - Follow the smileys! All the walls here are invisible!
Grassland level 4 - Time your jumps carefully, go quickly, but don't rush it or you'll be meeting a face full of spike trap. Also, don't forget to heal up at the fountain when you get to it.
Grassland MINIBOSS - Don't try to hide behind the armored walls, you won't be able to shoot the M-boss, get to a spot where you have a somewhat clear shot, and dodge his bullets. Don't stand in one place or you'll be perforated.
Desert level 1 - Keep moving, that sniper can shoot through anything. There's a secret in this level for you to find (You don't need anything special to get it).....
Desert level 2 - Another secret in this level. There's a turret that fires quickly, but can't aim except in one direction. Both the slicer and quicksand are introduced here. Quicksand is basically an instant kill within the first 3 seconds, and slicers can be dangerous too. A series of movable platforms at the bottom provide a tough challenge to get past.
Desert level 3 - Colored buttons/doors introduced, as well as breakable platforms. You will be forced to die once or twice in this level, that's just the way things are.
Desert level 4 - An extremely difficult level the first time through. Multi-colored buttons open one type of door and close another. Hint: There is one button in this level which doesn't close anything. Use it to get past the triple colored doors near the exit.
Desert MINIBOSS - Far more powerful than the first boss, this huggable boss will shoot massive amounts of ammunition at you. Armored walls will block most of them, but the miniboss possesses two snipers which will blow through your cover. As you damage it, the boss will lose heads, and various attacks. The first head (from the top) shoots 6 hard to see bullets at once. The second holds 2 sniper turrets in its hands. The third will heal the entire boss every 5 seconds, it can even bring back destroyed heads!. The fourth and final shoots normal bullets quickly. A sandstorm here makes it difficult to see at times, make sure to jump often to dodge incoming bullets.
- DON'T WASTE AMMO! I'M SERIOUS!
- Some smileys aren't real. They can serve as waypoints or even traps.
- If you get caught in a spike trap pit, hold down the jump button, you may be able to get out!
- I'm serious about the ammo thing.
- Collect as many spinning objects as you possibly can! In the later levels monster killing may give more exp, but 100 points a level is still not something you want to miss.
-Can't aim straight? Your bullets flying all over the place? Aim your cursor farther away! The closer your cursor is to your gun, the more spread the gun has!
If all else fails: You probably wasted ammo.
I am currently looking for (helpers? woohoo!):
- A graphics designer.
- More spinning bears to put in this game. Srsly.
- More epic ideas.
Credits will be given to anyone on this list that helps me. Including anyone who catches more bears for me.
Current credits (these people are 4vv350lvl3):
- Mince for title. He will receive a special thanks in the credits and a bonus level named after him.
- CRG for dinosaur roll animation and a few currently unimplemented guns. He will receive a special thanks in the credits and maybe something else.
Edited by bobthecow, 26 June 2010 - 01:11 AM.