• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:04 AM

IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA FOR THE GAME, PLEASE SHARE IT, IT COULD AND PROBABLY WILL BE (if it's a good idea) PUT INTO THE GAME AND WILL GET YOU ON THE CREDITS!!!

VVVVVV DOWNLOAD HERE!: VVVVVV
Posted Image
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Blimpy the Dinosaur VERSION 0.43a

UPDATES (v0.43a):
Older updates are in italics

-All desert areas finished. Desert miniboss added. Grassland miniboss optimized and rain added to level. Three new guns (glock, desert eagle, and m3 shotgun). New colored buttons that open corresponding doors. Engine optimizations. New sprites for many objects and bullets. New traps to be wary of. Various bugs fixed. New leveling up system to add an RPG curve. Many other things, can't remember exactly what. NOTE: Press 1, 2, 3, or 7 in order to switch weapons!!!
-The first level for the new area has been added! Reloading sound now included. Fixed the bug where platforms stop moving when you reload on them. Completely re-did the gun animations so now it looks good no matter which way you're facing or aiming. Added recoil to the gun. Changed the miniboss level.
-Level optimization. Grassland - level 3 has a new layout (old one was bad). Miniboss changed to a tank thing instead of a poorly drawn stick figure with a fisher price toy. Several graphics improved. Gun changed. Maybe some other stuff, I forgot.
-
Two new levels. Graphics improvements, engine improvements. Assault rifle sticks better now. A difficult miniboss also added!

-Blimpy now moves with platforms. Fixed a couple of nasty bugs. Added views so now it looks way better than it did, a little splash screen is also included at the top of the screen to replace the old blue area. A crude fix for the assault rifle not sticking with the character implemented. It's not perfect, but it works just fine.
-Fixed bug with music. Changed Tutorial and Grassland music to reduce file size by over 1mb. Removed springs in Grassland 2. Assault rifle now has a clip of 30 bullets, with a counter at the top. Reload by pressing R.
-Main menu added along with credits and a load game option. Major engine fixes. Blimpy now has an ASSAULT RIFLE. As if he wasn't awesome enough already. Enemies have been added, although they have no animations yet. There should be absolutely no bugs except for 2, the ever-bothering jumping onto a horizontal moving platform stick, and the new issue with the assault rifle not moving with your character when you jump and move a little at the same time. You'll see it. Since I added all this the size has jumped up a lot.
-Tutorial added, one new level.
-Sprite changed, a few things fixed/added. Forget what though. Props to Mince for the title! Go him!

-Even more wall grabs are gone. It's almost impossible to get stuck now. Please tell me if you get one and how.
-Most wall grab bugs are gone, I've found it POSSIBLE to achieve one, but highly unlikely, I tried to fix it, not working so far.
-More images per roll (smoother animation)
-Moving platform sticking and reversing and whatnot SOLVED! The one possible way to achieve a wall grab is by getting between a platform and a normal wall. Usually it will be fine and you'll either come right off, or you won't be actually stuck. But it is possible.
-One "bug" is that if you jump onto the side of the platform, you stick there and the platform stops moving. I'll try to fix this, but it's really not a big deal as you come right off.

+_____________________________________________________________________________________+

I doubt anyone will remember this, since NOBODY EVER LOOKED AT THE LAST THREAD, but oh well...

It currently has poorish graphics and only seven levels, but I will constantly update it.

Here are some screenshots

Posted Image
http://i184.photobuc...cow/blimpy1.png
http://i184.photobuc...cow/blimpy2.png

Current Features:

- Twelve levels of mind-boggling epicness.
- A character that ROLLS! Yes! Just what you've been looking for right?
- Not only does he roll, HE'S A DINOSAUR WITH AN ASSAULT RIFLE!
- Spinning bears. You heard me.
- Three pretty awesome turrets.
- Some 1337 enemy raptors and a pterodactyl.
- HIDDEN spinning bears. You heard me.
- Two fricken' sweet minibosses.
- Four different guns to choose from (Two pistols, a shotgun, and an assault rifle).
- A dynamic aiming system featuring: Recoil, random spread, increased accuracy when aiming at long-range targets.

GM Version: GM8
File Size: 7.6 Mb
Screen Resolution: 640 x 480
Changes Screen Resolution: no

Planned Features (oh crap):

- 10 different worlds with 5 different levels each, including a mini-boss level at the end.
- 3 Boss levels featuring quick thinking and finger-work.
- Implemented semi-RPG elements including 10 different guns and a leveling up system.
- 21 Enemies, both ground, and flying.
- 8 bonus levels upon beating the third boss. (Maybe)
- Some really cheesy storyline about a princess and a troubled world.
- A high score system, compare your scores with all your friends! Hurray!
- A level designer.
- POSSIBLY Multiplayer where you can compete against friends (or foes) in built-in or custom-made maps!

Oh and, this game will be VERY hard. The first two levels within this demo are TUTORIAL levels (some assembly required).

Currently known bugs/problems (already?):

- Unfortunately, you can, and will still get stuck on vertical platforms. When you do, you have to either wait, or try to roll around and jump until you get unstuck. I'm sorry, I've tried like twenty different ways to fix it, nothing seems to be working. Also, sometimes you will (rarely) respawn at the same spot where you died, often right on top of a trap, which will usually just kill you again. Unsure why this happens, looking into it.

Tips/Walkthrough/Level Descriptions (you will probably need some):

Tutorial level 1 - Spikes are bad. Obviously. Read every tutorial here if you're new.
Tutorial level 2 - Bullets from turrets are bad. Obviously. Also, if you're having trouble ledge jumping, try jumping, THEN moving left or right.
Lobby - The main level hub. Go right into the smileys at the bottom after completing the tutorial.
Grassland level 1 - Wait for the moving spikes to go down before going up at the first part, and jump down into the opening when the coast is clear at the second.
Grassland level 2 - This game is big on secrets, and this level is chock full of them. There ARE 100 points in collectables to be found here and you CAN get them all.
Grassland level 3 - Follow the smileys! All the walls here are invisible!
Grassland level 4 - Time your jumps carefully, go quickly, but don't rush it or you'll be meeting a face full of spike trap. Also, don't forget to heal up at the fountain when you get to it.
Grassland MINIBOSS - Don't try to hide behind the armored walls, you won't be able to shoot the M-boss, get to a spot where you have a somewhat clear shot, and dodge his bullets. Don't stand in one place or you'll be perforated.
Desert level 1 - Keep moving, that sniper can shoot through anything. There's a secret in this level for you to find (You don't need anything special to get it).....
Desert level 2 - Another secret in this level. There's a turret that fires quickly, but can't aim except in one direction. Both the slicer and quicksand are introduced here. Quicksand is basically an instant kill within the first 3 seconds, and slicers can be dangerous too. A series of movable platforms at the bottom provide a tough challenge to get past.
Desert level 3 - Colored buttons/doors introduced, as well as breakable platforms. You will be forced to die once or twice in this level, that's just the way things are.
Desert level 4 - An extremely difficult level the first time through. Multi-colored buttons open one type of door and close another. Hint: There is one button in this level which doesn't close anything. Use it to get past the triple colored doors near the exit.
Desert MINIBOSS - Far more powerful than the first boss, this huggable boss will shoot massive amounts of ammunition at you. Armored walls will block most of them, but the miniboss possesses two snipers which will blow through your cover. As you damage it, the boss will lose heads, and various attacks. The first head (from the top) shoots 6 hard to see bullets at once. The second holds 2 sniper turrets in its hands. The third will heal the entire boss every 5 seconds, it can even bring back destroyed heads!. The fourth and final shoots normal bullets quickly. A sandstorm here makes it difficult to see at times, make sure to jump often to dodge incoming bullets.

General Tips:
- DON'T WASTE AMMO! I'M SERIOUS!
- Some smileys aren't real. They can serve as waypoints or even traps.
- If you get caught in a spike trap pit, hold down the jump button, you may be able to get out!
- I'm serious about the ammo thing.
- Collect as many spinning objects as you possibly can! In the later levels monster killing may give more exp, but 100 points a level is still not something you want to miss.
-Can't aim straight? Your bullets flying all over the place? Aim your cursor farther away! The closer your cursor is to your gun, the more spread the gun has!

If all else fails: You probably wasted ammo.

I am currently looking for (helpers? woohoo!):

- A graphics designer.
- More spinning bears to put in this game. Srsly.
- More epic ideas.

Credits will be given to anyone on this list that helps me. Including anyone who catches more bears for me.

Current credits (these people are 4vv350lvl3):

- Mince for title. He will receive a special thanks in the credits and a bonus level named after him.
- CRG for dinosaur roll animation and a few currently unimplemented guns. He will receive a special thanks in the credits and maybe something else.

Edited by bobthecow, 26 June 2010 - 01:11 AM.

"The light at the end of the tunnel is most likely a train." ~Starfall
"You can't spell idiot without a d. What's the moral of the story? STOP SPELLING THINGS WRONG!" ~bobthecow

Click to see my game; Blimpy the Dinosaur:Posted Image you know you want to

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#2 Foxx of AK

Foxx of AK

GMC Member

• 445 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

Its a good start for a lite game I guess but I have a few issues

No matter what direction you're facing, the gun is upside down when you point left.
If you get Game Over and choose "Load Game" you restart the level with no lives.
If you reload while on a moving platform, the platform stops moving along with some other collision issues.

#3 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:06 AM

Its a good start for a lite game I guess but I have a few issues

No matter what direction you're facing, the gun is upside down when you point left.
If you get Game Over and choose "Load Game" you restart the level with no lives.
If you reload while on a moving platform, the platform stops moving along with some other collision issues.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I know the gun upside down thing is an issue. I only spent about 15 minutes setting it up to point in the direction your mouse is. I think it's surviving off of 4 lines of code? Less maybe? The next version will hopefully fix all gun related issues.

I'm not sure what you mean by you restart the level with no lives. When I game over and load the game, I start from the end of the previous level, with full lives. The stars literally save your game as 'Rollersave' and the load game option loads that save. It doesn't restart the current level. Could you be more specific with what you're doing?

As for the reloading on platforms, see above. I didn't have a whole lot of time the day i worked on this, and I haven't checked into that error, but I do know it's there. I'm more surprised you didn't mention a "sticky" platform/wall glitch.

In any case, I appreciate you posting :whistle: Hopefully you can check it out again in the next version. I just started working on this again, and every post here boosts my motivation.

Edited by bobthecow, 12 January 2010 - 01:11 AM.

"You can't spell idiot without a d. What's the moral of the story? STOP SPELLING THINGS WRONG!" ~bobthecow

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#4 Mince

Mince

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

the roll animations weird. and if you get on the spring in the second level the sprite breaks for a while.
it has promise, but it needs work.

how do you get to the secret level?!? XD

YAY!
with great lol,

"i'm fattie magatti, and i live by my own rules. i am unlike skinny mabinni, who lives by the governments rules. also, he is very skinny."

that was funny, bubba, you're supposed to laugh.
bubba: OK BOSS, UH HUH HUH HUH HUHHHH!!!!
-razourik

#5 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:09 AM

the roll animations weird. and if you get on the spring in the second level the sprite breaks for a while.
it has promise, but it needs work.

how do you get to the secret level?!? XD

YAY!

Yeah I know the roll animation is crap. I've been looking for someone to make me an animation in the graphics forums for about a year. The spring thing was also temporary, thanks for reminding me, ill fix that up in the next version.

What secret level lolololol

And thanks again for the title XD

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#6 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

Version 0.42d is out!

Update notes:

-The first level for the new area has been added!
-Reloading sound now included.
-Fixed the bug where platforms stop moving when you reload on them.
-Completely re-did the gun animations so now it looks good no matter which way you're facing or aiming.
-Added recoil to the gun.
-Changed the miniboss level.

I wasn't planning to release these changes yet until the next large update, but I figured that it would be good to fix the problems that arose in the previous version. Also, the miniboss level is more challenging now, but you can still beat it with lives to spare. Don't get pinned down!

As for the recoil I added, before the bullets just went off in semi-random directions within a fixed radius, but now the first 3-4 shots are very accurate, but if you keep firing after them, the gun goes completely out of control very quickly. Don't use full auto unless you're right next to an enemy. And even then it's better to shoot in bursts.

EDIT: For some reason the size got larger again (9.2mb) despite the fact that I trimmed a lot of things and optimized others. Oh well, if the size of 9 mb will turn you away from this game, then i don't know what the hell is going through your head.

Edited by bobthecow, 18 January 2010 - 01:54 AM.

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#7 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:30 AM

I love this. Same crap happens every time. Couldn't people just TRY my game? It has 5 downloads. That says a lot with very little.

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#8 chte414

chte414

GMC Member

• 76 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:14 AM

Movement is good. Graphics and some sound fx need to be improved. but good start.

Edited by chte414, 30 January 2010 - 05:26 AM.

#9 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

Movement is good. Graphics and some sound fx need to be improved. but good start.

Thanks for the review, since they're more rare than not dying on grassland level 4 of this game.

Could you be more specific on which graphics and sound fx? I try to upgrade those things with each version, even if its just a little, so it would be helpful to know what I should focus on.

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#10 BlaXun

BlaXun

Slime Online Creator

• GMC Member
  • 2750 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

TAHT TEDDY BEAR D:

I farmed it for WEEKS in Einbroch Mine in Ragnarok Online D:

The Card is rly rly valuable but with a low drop chance (0.01%) it sux.

iBNKRoX.png

#11 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:16 AM

Errrr... yes.

I plan on changing the sprite for it since its Maplestory's and I don't want to have my thighs poking out of my ears in lawsuits (crazy people these days).

In any case, the next version may take awhile, but its being severely optimized, I already have more stuff in it with a size 3mb less than what v0.42d is, and the rest of the desert levels will be finished. The miniboss may or may not be ready by that time.

EDIT: Oh, and I purchased the pro version, so neat stuff to come hopefully!

Edited by bobthecow, 09 February 2010 - 11:49 PM.

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#12 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

I've got the second desert level done, with a ton of new traps and cool stuff.

I'd REALLY like to have some better graphics/animations, so if you're interested, go here:

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=463739

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#13 CRG

CRG

GMC Member

• 40 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

I've played it I like were your trying to go but the execution is off. The animations look wierd but If you give me the main chracter sprite maby I can try my hand at it.

Edited by CRG, 11 February 2010 - 11:41 PM.

#14 CRG

CRG

GMC Member

• 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:22 AM

Could I also make the suggestion of using a aiming mechanic like in a metroid game. I mean shooting diagonally up, down, left and right instead of mouse aiming which can suck for a lab-top.

#15 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:42 AM

Well the better solution would be a wireless mouse, but I know what you mean.

Unfortunately, that mechanic would completely negate the recoil and precision effect i've implemented already. It's also not as linear when it comes to fighting enemies, so it wouldn't really work.

As for the animation of the dinosaur, I'd love if you made me a rolling animation. Here's the sprite Posted Image

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#16 loganGames

loganGames

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:49 AM

This game has a lot of potential. One of the problems I noticed was that if you jump at a platform and hit it from the side, both you and the platform get stuck in the air. Another thing was the menu, which could be good but it's hard to tell what's a button and what's a title. Other than that, great game. Can't wait to see the full version. ^.^

~Logan
The Golden Age
working title
Progress
Engine: 10%
Graphics: 10%
Sounds: 0%
Menus: 100%
Gameplay: 10%
Concept: 25%

Overall
8%

#17 CRG

CRG

GMC Member

• 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:31 AM

There's a plat-former engine that could help make the platforming more solid if you'd like.
Link: http://gmc.yoyogames...p...t=0&start=0

Would a walking animation be ok?

Edited by CRG, 12 February 2010 - 01:31 AM.

#18 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

Hmm, that engine might be better than the one I took and adapted, I'll check it out.

I would really rather it be some sort of roll animation since that's kind of where Mince got the title from. 'Blimpy' was implying the rolling dinosaur I was thinking about in the previous thread.

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#19 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

Ok, the new version is just about finished. I have all of the desert areas done, including the miniboss, I've added new traps and other things such as buttons to open different doors. I've added two guns so far, I'm going to try to get in a third (bringing the total to four) by the time this version comes out. Particle effects, new bullets, new enemies, this version is pretty freaking awesome. Now if only anybody cared.

EDIT: V 0.43a IS NOW OUT!!!

Edited by bobthecow, 16 June 2010 - 12:36 AM.

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#20 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

[sarcasm]Thank you everyone for your helpful and loving comments. Using the vast array of suggestions you have given me between the point of release and now, I'll be able to build a titanic super-game to astound everyone. It gives me great pleasure to know that my efforts are appreciated.[/sarcasm]

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#21 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

i'm downloading this because you remind me of myself when i was normal..

#22 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:31 PM

I'm currently making the forest area now. If more than three people actually cared about this game, they'd absolutely love it because the game is only getting more and more awesome. The sound, levels, weapons, monsters, and even some of the graphics just keep getting better and better, but nobody is willing to try it and give me suggestions other than a small handful of people.

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#23 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

welcome to my world, bob. ;)

when i try to download your game, it stalls around 99%. i'll try grabbing it again when my limewire crap finishes..

#24 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:00 AM

Forest area halfway done, spent 6 hours fixing the vertical platform sticks, might have a new gun up, background and view changes, working on the first main boss (one of three). Should be up in about a week or two.

EDIT: Stalls around 99%? I'll check it out, might change hosting sites.
EDIT2: It works for me, must be something on your end.

Edited by bobthecow, 26 June 2010 - 03:18 AM.

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine

#25 bobthecow

bobthecow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:25 PM

Forest area completely done, just touching up the miniboss, then on to the first main boss. Might put in a new gun, but I probably won't. I have to edit like 18 different objects and make some new ones to get a new gun working, so it takes a lot of time.

Completion

[][]
[][][] - Weapons

[][]
[][][] - Monsters

[]
[][][][] - Levels

[][][][]
[] - Engine