#1 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

Survivor

You find yourself wrecked offshore on a floating pile of crates, and it seems the whole world has turned against you. Now you must do all it takes to survive.

screen1cm.png

Controls

Arrow Keys: Move, Jump and Duck.
Hold Z: Push Crates.

Online Highscores

Are you the world's greatest Survivor? Find out here!

Game Link

Link to YoYoGames Page

Edit: Updated game links.

Edited by TerraFriedSheep, 10 November 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#2 Pinpickle

Pinpickle

Abscure Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1353 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

That was a fun little game.
It got boring very quickly, though. I just kept on dodging more of the same thing.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

So you finished it! :GM072:

It's cool, you already know I like it, but this is even cooler. It's also very hard. I tried about 10 times, and I still haven't gotten over 4000 points. o_O I will beat the highscore! :GM072:

I've got a few gripes, though. First, the music. There is none! I know you have a music on/off button, but whichever way I toggle it, there is no music.

I don't think all the sounds are suitable. Also, I think it lacks a few.. i.e. a jumping sound. I know it doesn't sound like much, but you'd be surprised how much a simple jumping sound adds.

I get that same bug with the entering name, as I did with Fatal Tournament. I know it's just a 'computer' thing, but it still bugs me. :GM073:

The figure it not animated? Surprised me at first, didn't mind as I played the game. I still think, having a little running left/right animation, say, 2-3 frames, and a single 'jumping' frame, (kinda like a Mario jump)

All the die animations are the same. Wouldn't it be cool, if when he got struck by lighting, he went all 'shock' like, when he gets crushed by blocks, there is a kinda.. err.. well maybe keep it family friendly :D
It just adds a little something extra, ya know?

@pinpickle: I believe it spices up somewhat, the higher your score gets. :blink: Not that I've managed to get my score that high...

Anyway, apart from those gripes, it's a really great game, good work. This is a better than a lot of games I've seen in the Cage matches lately, so hopefully you'll get entered ;) I would rate it, but I'm wary that you would consider making this an entrant for competition 05... the gameplay would suit it well. :P
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#4 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:05 PM

So you finished it!

It's cool, you already know I like it, but this is even cooler. It's also very hard. I tried about 10 times, and I still haven't gotten over 4000 points. o_O I will beat the highscore!

Haha good luck with that :D When I set my record I forgot to submit the score, but that was a sweet 28,000 ish :P

I've got a few gripes, though. First, the music. There is none! I know you have a music on/off button, but whichever way I toggle it, there is no music.

Ah yes I forgot to mention that there is indeed no music in this version- I will be updating that when my composer sends me the final piece, I thought I'd release it now for some comments on the gameplay :blink:

I don't think all the sounds are suitable. Also, I think it lacks a few.. i.e. a jumping sound. I know it doesn't sound like much, but you'd be surprised how much a simple jumping sound adds.

Ah yes nice idea, when adding sounds I wandered if I had missed any, so i should get them in for when i add the music too.

The figure it not animated? Surprised me at first, didn't mind as I played the game. I still think, having a little running left/right animation, say, 2-3 frames, and a single 'jumping' frame, (kinda like a Mario jump)

All the die animations are the same. Wouldn't it be cool, if when he got struck by lighting, he went all 'shock' like, when he gets crushed by blocks, there is a kinda.. err.. well maybe keep it family friendly
It just adds a little something extra, ya know?

Yea I agree I think a little animation would be cool- I tried but although I did actually do all the graphics for this game, when it comes to side-on animation I just can't do it, maybe I'll ask in the graphics forum. And I think it would be cool to have different death images aswell, I'll have to add them in too :P

@pinpickle: I believe it spices up somewhat, the higher your score gets. ;) Not that I've managed to get my score that high...

It's true, as time goes on more hazards start appearing, and already existing hazards get more hazardarous (extra lightning from thunder clouds, etc).

Anyway, apart from those gripes, it's a really great game, good work. This is a better than a lot of games I've seen in the Cage matches lately, so hopefully you'll get entered :GM072: I would rate it, but I'm wary that you would consider making this an entrant for competition 05... the gameplay would suit it well. :o

Thanks alot for this, really useful :GM072: As for competition 05, I decided I wouldn't enter this, although it was the first thing I thought when I read the specifications of how perfect this would have been for it. i tried the game scaled down to 320x240 so it would fit in the rules, but it just wasn't the same somehow, so I think I'm gonna just work on something completly new for it (keep me occupied for the next few months then). As for cage match, that would be cool, I've never been in one! Thanks again :GM073:

#5 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

28,000 woot! O_O

9000+ so far. Dang bananas!

Good job on the graphics, btw. :blink:
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.

#6 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

Hey everyone, the final game release is now out! I've added a few little things, the main feature added is the music (with thanks to John Taylor), theres also a little front-on character animation, and a few more sound effects. I think there was a few more improvements I made, but can't put my finger on them, any way check it out and good luck with the highscores (top place was beaten again last night)!

#7 rockerkid10

rockerkid10

GMC Member

• 204 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:11 AM

28,000 woot! O_O

9000+ so far. Dang bananas!

Good job on the graphics, btw. :(

Holy Crap DD! Anyways, yeah. The game was really good, just superbly hard. My highest was like 4000+

#8 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

It got featured this morning!!! :)

#9 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

It got featured this morning!!! :)

Haha! I noticed. Congrats! Nice lil game you have there.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#10 AlexAR

AlexAR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

I like the idea, and the implementation is sound. The only real problem I have with the game is that it just feels slow. The jumping is slow, the moving is slow, the action just feels slow and laggy. Also, having some more crazy and unique power ups would change things up nicely. Like a gun that lets you blow up 1 or 2 boxes, or an umbrella that lets you survive 1 or 2 lightning bolts.

Good job though.

#11 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

Haha, noticed you got featured congrats! :(
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#12 rockerkid10

rockerkid10

GMC Member

• 204 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:51 PM

Look who's on the What's Hot section!!!

Congrats SoulSnatcher!

can't wait for what's next.

#13 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:20 AM

Got a few nice little updates done today, generally to make the whole game experiance a little smoother :)

• The game menu selections are now selected with arrow keys and enter (or space or Z).
  • The top 20 online highscores can now be viewed from within the game.
  • Screen fade times have been reduced.
  • John Taylor's name now links to www.johntaylormusic.net.
  • The escape key now returns you to the main menu.
  • You can now pause the game with P.
  • The space bar can now be used to push blocks aswell as Z.
  • The powerup sprites now reduce in size when the player ducks.
  • Music and Sound Effects can now be toggled in the game end menu using the M and S keys.

The updated version is now uploaded on YoYoGames.

Edit:

Here's a screenshot of the in-game highscore table as it stands.

Posted Image

Edited by Soulsnatcher, 10 July 2010 - 05:08 PM.