22 replies to this topic

#1 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

The Dungeon Of EEEvil is a game in which you play as a knight and must escape from an eeevil dungeon.
Posted Image

Controls explained in game.

Created for a competition that ends tomorrow.

Music was found here http://modarchive.org/index.php

Though I'm afraid i couldn't find any of the names of the people who made the lovely music.

Download

http://host-a.net/Fa...n Of EEEvil.zip

http://www.yoyogames...ngeon-of-eeevil

Support DOE.

[url=http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=459153&st=0&p=3387262&#entry3387262][img]http://i47.tinypic.com/315fz8o.png[/img][/url]
Posted Image

Edited by fawful, 04 January 2010 - 02:05 PM.

FABULOUS

#2 Alpha Man

Alpha Man

Game Maker Community

• 258 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:59 PM

It's almost difficult to believe I *expected* the Skull to pop-up at the end, but I did.

I died way too many times, thanks to the inability to see which direction I was "facing". But overall, it was pretty easy.

I would've liked it more if it had more depth to it, but I suppose nothing can be done about that now. Due to the sheer predictability of the experience (even in the end), I'm not so sure I can say I *enjoyed* it, but the "final boss" was a bit interesting (although the boss itself didn't attack at the last part...? Was it meant to be like The Leader from The Incredible Hulk?).

However, I doubt you understand the message this game was trying to convey. Throughout the game, you placed stone tablets describing events over a course of time, which built-up to a hostile takeover (seemingly from one man, no less, which wouldn't have been a problem according to one of the tablets that describes the number of another army --- or am I wrong and it was the same army...?). They all make it seem like the "Riches" were a problem of the kingdom, and that everyone else (other kingdoms?) was trying to get them. In the end, though, you *take* the riches and sail away, something that the invading armies did not succeed in doing (the black knight didn't need to, obviously, since he OWNED the entire place). Why did you make it seem like other kingdoms were greedy and that the kingdom of the current castle was attempting to protect itself constantly, and then turn around and drive the player to (without CHOICE in the matter...) steal the riches and leave? Wouldn't it have made sense to simply burn the riches (with a set of those "Super Bombs", perhaps) rather than take them elsewhere, where the process can repeat itself...?

Oh well. Thanks for making the game. It kept me busy for a little bit.

#3 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

There wasn't ANY meaning whatso-ever,the tablets and bad story where there just to provide a bit more interest.

There is a very good chance i made mistakes in the story,but also the nature of the tablets means that if one tablet is missed the entire thing can make little sence.

And because of that here is the general story and situation,in white text.

You wake up an old cell,why you were there in the first place is up to the imagination.I don't really know myself.

The Dungeon Of EEEvil was once a castle city,and also a nation in it's own right.

As time passed they grew richer and more powerful.

Soon other clans,countrys and whatnot start to notice them and their growing wealth,and soon enough ******* Bill along with his army attempts to defeat them and claim there moneys and things.

But they fail and his severed head is the first proper boss you face.

Time passes and different clans,countrys and whatnot all try to do what Bill didn't manage.But somehow noone of them succeed.

Finaly,the black knight along with his own large army come to do the same as those before him,and this time he does just that.Slaughtering the opposistion and taking command of the castle city place.

But then the dead original owners rise to take back there own homeland and as they kill the invaders,they also rise from the dead and fight back.Endlessly.

The black knight makes up the second boss.

I was considering having the final boss talk a bit before you killed him,but i didn't.

I also considered making the final boss the person who wrote all that stuff down,but i dunno.

Anyway,it's not ment to be taken too seriously,it's only a little thing.

FABULOUS

#4 Poris

Poris

GMC Member

• 533 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

I enjoyed it :P
Posted Image
Play Scratch!
Home Page

Ever felt like programming a game in Java but couldn't do it? Perhaps my Game-Maker interface will help you! It surely helped me.
Coffee Maker - Perhaps the world's only Game Maker - Java connection.
Posted Image

#5 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

TY,porisio.

Bump.Even though it has three 'e's in the title it does have a decent mesure of profesionalism.

Edited by fawful, 05 January 2010 - 01:19 PM.

FABULOUS

#6 mr.hey

mr.hey

GMC Member

• 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:51 AM

lol
the little guys seem really cute..
SpeederXP, powerful speed hack software!
Buy one, get one FREE now!

#7 Telchar

Telchar

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

I had to download this just because it's EEEvil. :whistle:

Pretty good adventure game but rooms repeated itself visually. Same gray blocks everywhere. I could get past the switch room.

Edited by Telchar, 05 January 2010 - 02:03 PM.

#8 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

You mean the one with the big purple cog thing?It's a small puzzle section you have to work it out.

The tiles change fairly soon after that room.

TY

FABULOUS

#9 usualuser

usualuser

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:50 PM

in your game good Title-Screen :whistle:
(but game has been deleted)

#10 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

in your game good Title-Screen :whistle:
(but game has been deleted)

What?it hasn't been deleated.I've just checked.

And how can you know what the titlescreen looks like if the game has been deleted?

FABULOUS

#11 usualuser

usualuser

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

from my HDD

#12 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:26 AM

This game is basic in almost every way but it is implemented very well. The storyline wasn't very prominent in the game and I felt like was unnecessary. It was poorly designed.

#13 Dannerz

Dannerz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:33 AM

I like your game.
Only problem is, i got the level 3 red sword but i don't know how to progress farther into the game now.
From what i've seen i rate 6/10. 5=average, i think it's above average but still like the good old NES games.

#14 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

TY,once you get the red sword you've got to backtrack to the first floor.There's some red bars somewhere that you can't get past without the sword.

So i probably should have put in a save system.

TY for adding the image to your sig.

FABULOUS

#15 Warrior_Abb

Warrior_Abb

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

you need to upgrade graphic (such as "warcraft 1 or 2" or "heroes of m&m 1 or 2" ) and it will be very very good RPG

#16 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:10 AM

But the graphics are half the fun!

And also the tilesets get better as you prgress and are fairly well made if i do say so myself.

FABULOUS

#17 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

I enjoyed it but I couldn't beat it. I hated the fact that you could not save :\

... as I recall, I got stuck on one of those puzzle things...
Good job on the game, anyway! :)

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#18 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

yeah,sorry.I would have but it was before i knew how to use text files and i was in a hurry.

FABULOUS

#19 zanzindorf

zanzindorf

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

I really like your boss battles and your cog puzzle. The visuals were also good aside from a few quirks. It would have been better if there were more variety in the levels, like more enemies or hazards to battle and avoid. I lost interest when I got to the second level because the combat system isn't very challenging.
Posted Image
Latest Game: GreyGreen
Download here: http://www.yoyogames...57966-greygreen

#20 xorxif

xorxif

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:51 AM

Hi, when I try to run the game (in Windows XP,) the title screen comes up fine, then I get:

for object obj_music_controler:

Failed to play song - BASS_ERROR_NOHW occured.

Continuously. Clicking ignore then holding the enter key down (so it ignores it a bunch of times,) doesn't help except that it shows the first line at the top ("You wake up in an old damp cell.")

Then this error text file is generated in the folder:

--- BGM Error Report ---
ERROR DATE: 10/17/2011
SRC FILE: src/bgm_play.c
LINE NO: 49
VERSION: 2.0 beta
BUILD DATE: Sep 14 2006
--- End of Report ------

How can I get it to run properly?

#21 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

that's an error concerning the .dll i used to load and play the music. if you haven't extracted the folder that's the problem and it should be fixed as soon as the folder is extracted.

If you have extracted the folder and the error still pops up then I'm sorry to say I have no answers. I would link you to the guy that made the .dll but he's not working on it anymore.

FABULOUS

#22 xorxif

xorxif

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:41 AM

Thank you for the reply! I was able to solve it on my own after having problems with other game maker games not playing their music.

As it turns out, the hardware acceleration on my sound card was all the way up, so I ran dxdiag, went to the sound tab, and put the acceleration slider to the left until it said "basic acceleration." After that, the error in Dungeon Of Eeevil no longer appeared and played fine. Also, the sound and music in other game maker games also played correctly, whereas previously the game had run but had missing music and sound effects.

I had recently reinstalled my OS (WinXP SP3) from a hard drive crash, and it had defaulted the sound card to maximum acceleration.

Now that I can PLAY the game, I'll give you comments on it as soon as I finish it!

#23 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

Fantastic. I know somebody else who has had similar problems maybe this could have something to do with it.

FABULOUS