This topic is intended to be a library of websites that are useful, helpful or interesting for game designers. Feel free to suggest any websites that you think might be appropriate, from blogs to single articles to full game-design communities. Please note that, since we hope to emphasise quality over quantity, only particularly useful suggestions will be incorporated into this first post.
A few things to consider before making your suggestion:
- Game design is by no means specific to Game Maker, or even video games. If you find a particularly interesting article on, say, the design ethic of Connect Four, don't be reluctant to suggest it.
- Any content should be easily accessible. If the website requires payment or a login, their audience is going to be severely restricted.
- You're welcome to suggest your own websites, but be sure that they have significant design content first. A blog with a single post, or with only a vague focus on design, is unlikely to be appropriate.
- URL: http://www.squidi.net/three/index.php
- Description: An (unfortunately lapsed) attempt to develop 300 unique and original game ideas in 300 days. The author has some excellent ideas, and tends to describe and discuss his design process in great detail.
- URL: http://tvtropes.org/...VideogameTropes
- Description: A wiki-style attempt to catalogue, dissect and explain every video game trope- that is, any pattern that tends to crop up a lot, like Bonus Bosses and Save Points. The website as a whole is also useful for storyline writers, and a reliably excellent source of inspiration.
YoYoGames Glog: Game Design section
- URL: http://glog.yoyogames.com/?cat=6
- Description: Mark Overmars' personal insights into game design. While he hasn't posted in a while, the points he makes are still very relevant.