#1 blackhawkrobbo

blackhawkrobbo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 876 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

Hello,

i was wondering - im using windows 7 32 bit Ultimate now. When i start a GM game, it loads all normal, except for when the loading bar is at 80%. Then it hangs for,, like 3 minutes and then continues normally.
Whats wrong?

#2 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1581 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

Run it in debug mode, then you can actually see what's loading when that happens.

#3 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

Do you really mean 3 minutes? Because it's well known that Vista and GM have issues with initializing sound drivers, it wouldn't surprise me if it carried on to Windows 7. But it's no where near 3 minutes. More like 10 seconds.

#4 Maxinston

Maxinston

Epic Phail

• GMC Member
  • 1248 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

I have Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate too and it loads perfectly.

#5 Hockeyflyers

Hockeyflyers

Hockeyplayer Games

• 1108 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

I have Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate too and it loads perfectly.

I also have Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate and it works fine.
It must be just your computer then...

#6 BBGaming

BBGaming

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 2470 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:48 PM

The sound driver issue is specific to hardware. It isn't necessarily the OS, although I've never encountered the problem in XP.

#7 Centauri

Centauri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:24 PM

I have the exact same problem, hangs for a long time at about 80% (in fact, usually longer than 3 minutes) and shoots CPU usage through the roof, making my fan go crazy! So far I've got around the issue by disabling all audio devices through the OS's device management panel. This does mean that I have to restart if I want to use audio and also can't use sounds in Game Maker, but it's better than nothing.

A proper fix would be much appreciated!

#8 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8288 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

I have the exact same problem, hangs for a long time at about 80% (in fact, usually longer than 3 minutes) and shoots CPU usage through the roof, making my fan go crazy! So far I've got around the issue by disabling all audio devices through the OS's device management panel. This does mean that I have to restart if I want to use audio and also can't use sounds in Game Maker, but it's better than nothing.

Gee, if only Mark and YYGs had created a GM8 Beta program where people could post information like this, so they could investigate and potentially solve, before releasing the final version.

#9 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9210 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:15 PM

Games created with Game Maker 7 (and probably 6) did this on my machine (Windows 7 64-bit), but it only took a few extra seconds to load as opposed to normal. GM8 seems to have resolved this issue.

#10 ev149

ev149

NinetySix Design

• GMC Member
  • 1035 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

I'd say it's a problem with your sound card, or some drivers. If it's not working correctly, it's possible your drivers are not compatible with Windows 7.

#11 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

What I find most surprising is that you actually waited 3 minutes to see if GM would finally load. :) Now THAT'S perseverance!

I'm not that patient. When a process on my computer hangs more than 30 seconds, I assume it's broken and kill it.

In any event, did you report this on the GM8 bug reporting site? There's a topic about it further down the page.

#12 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3137 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and it runs GM games fine so far.

Edit: Actually, it's starting to happen to me a lot. It will hang around the 80% mark for a couple of minutes ;__;

Edited by Mr. RPG, 29 December 2009 - 03:16 AM.

#13 DarksideX

DarksideX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 614 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

Im using Windows 7 64-bit and im having the same problem, but it does not take 3 minutes :o

I get like 5-10 seconds extra loading when it loads the "sounds".

-Ali

Edit: On both :) and :o

Edited by DarksideX, 29 December 2009 - 10:51 AM.

#14 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

Because it's well known that Vista and GM have issues with initializing sound drivers, it wouldn't surprise me if it carried on to Windows 7. But it's no where near 3 minutes. More like 10 seconds.

Yeah, that's what happens on my relatively new laptop (Vista 32-bit). Just can't fix it.

#15 blackhawkrobbo

blackhawkrobbo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 876 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

well yes its the sounds for me as well, takes 3 minutes.. even in an empty game! I just made a game with 1 empty object, put the object in the room.. While im typing this its still loading sounds. Damnit i hate this!

#16 blackhawkrobbo

blackhawkrobbo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 876 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

Ok, some more information:
GM6.1 and GM7 worked fine on THIS computer using Windows XP.
Gm 6.1, GM7 and GM8 DO NOT work fine on this computer. Might be the OS indeed, because when my computer starts i have no audio, then windows starts installing some drivers and then i have sound. I have a RealTek onboard 7.1 sound thingy. I can't report bugs really, have to be a beta tester or something for it.. Darn. Gm has always worked good for me!

#17 57E

57E

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

Only free account registration required to prevent the list to be flooded by idiots. No need to be a beta tester.
And I also have this same ~3 minute wait bug on my laptop wich has Windows 7 64 bit.
I'll have to dig up sound card and driver specs and make a report there if there isn't one already.

Edited by 57E, 10 October 2010 - 08:02 AM.

#18 ragarnak

ragarnak

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 19468 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

Only free account registration required to prevent the list to be flooded by idiots. No need to be a beta tester.

Hmmmm .. If you put it that way, you must be considering anyone simply wanting to READ those bug-reports (like me) idiots too ? Why should they have to create a (verified no doubt) login ?

#19 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, and I don't have any issues. It sounds more like a hardware issue than the OS (why does everyone assume that if there's a problem, it's because of Windows?)

-MoK

#20 57E

57E

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

Hmmmm .. If you put it that way, you must be considering anyone simply wanting to READ those bug-reports (like me) idiots too ? Why should they have to create a (verified no doubt) login ?

I didn't notice you can't read the list without registering. As I registered in on the first time had to go on that site. :mellow:
If you want to know what is going on that site: There are ~130 reports and only ~7 of them have recieved any visible attention from the developers. :snitch:
Have no idea why they need to make things this complicated. Every friciking thing on the net seems to need registering these days. It's shame that BugMeNot.com never works when you realy need it.

Edited by 57E, 10 October 2010 - 10:08 AM.

#21 ragarnak

ragarnak

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 19468 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

If you want to know what is going on that site: There are ~130 reports and only ~7 of them have recieved any visible attention from the developers

Actually, I just wanted to be able to read that list to see which quirks I might expect from GM / check if a certain problematic behaviour is caused by a known issue.

Have no idea why they need to make things this complicated. Every friciking thing on the net seems to need registering these days.

Neither do I. In case of GM I allready have the product, otherwise I would not be interrested in the bugs.

Such a "must register" for simple reading is to me a reason to leave and never come back.

#22 57E

57E

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

My windows xp comp's monitor broke.
So I made a bug report for this since Im' stuck with this problem with my laptop machine for a while.

For those who can't and or do not want to register on that bugtracker site here's the report:

0000497: Game maker games loading very slow

Loading works as it should until about 80% is done then it pauses for 1 to 3 minutes and continues to load normaly.

Runing on debug mode shows it's stuck on "Preparing sounds" part.
If the game actualy has any sound resources or not does not matter.
Even empty game with no objects, resources or rooms has this ~3 minute loading time.

I probably don't even have to mention how frustrating this is.

Has been suggested to be soundcard or sound driver issue so I have included a dxdiag output in this report.

Attached Files:

Spoiler

It's priority is set to "urgent", but don't hold your breath for a fix.

#23 57E

57E

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:26 AM

Hello,

i was wondering - im using windows 7 32 bit Ultimate now. When i start a GM game, it loads all normal, except for when the loading bar is at 80%. Then it hangs for,, like 3 minutes and then continues normally.
Whats wrong?

Try to run it in compatibility mode,as XP sp2.
Best of luck!

Using compatibility modes does not help. Tested on both game maker 8 itself and actual game executables.

#24 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3998 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

You can try plugging out your audio system. If it will stop loading slow (but instead notify you that no sound device was detected), you just need to reinstall the drivers.

#25 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3535 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

Old topic, does anyone know if the guy who posted this topic is even alive??

#26 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3998 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

Old topic, does anyone know if the guy who posted this topic is even alive??

Well, according to his profile, he was checking forum in october :P
I guess he does not use game maker too much, if games still do take 3 minutes to load.

#27 57E

57E

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

Bump just for the heck of it.

Hopefuly they could fix this in the patch that was promised last year.

#28 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1581 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

Bump just for the heck of it.

That's got to be one of the worst bumps I've ever seen, and I am not smiling as I type this post. Please, you have only summed up the obvious, and demonstrated a massive lack of maturity with that.

#29 blackhawkrobbo

blackhawkrobbo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 876 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

Oh lol. Gravedigging yay. (I blew the dust off my GMK's and i fell in love again)

It wasn't my sound card, im sure of that. Turns out i had 32bit drivers on a 64bit machine. It wasn't GM, but a buggy Windows 7.
I'm using windows XP now anyway. Thanks for the support.

#30 ThrawnMBG

ThrawnMBG

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

Windows 7 - Control Panel - device manager - sound section

If there is lots of High Definition Sound Device, remove all these except the last one.

Your sound in windows will still be working, and now GM only takes 3 seconds to load a game (ex: empty only one room). Before these you had to wait 7 seconds minimum.

But when you reboot windows, all the drivers will be auto installed again. So repeat the process...

It works for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users