25 replies to this topic

#1 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:03 PM

EAU: the Water Game, or simply EAU, is a game about moving around water and collecting it at an indicated area. It is made
for a competition at the Dutch Game Maker community about the theme of water. In fact, it started as a water simulation engine and a simple game is built around it.

It is made with: :P
It is converted for Vista compatibility.
Full screen is optional using F4 (this will also change resolution)
Size: 2 MB
Sound: no
You need a somewhat modern computer.

Download/play: see YoYoGames: EAU: the Water Game
Posted Image

Edited by Erik Leppen, 26 December 2009 - 07:04 PM.

promo_briquidmini_500x150.png

#2 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1000 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:11 AM

This is a game that I've wanted to make for a long time but I could never figure out how to do. Well done
Some Completed Games and Programs:

Grid Defender 2 Sequel to the staff picked game at yoyogames!

Sig Maker V.5 "10/10","Products match Photoshop CS3, take less time and effort"

Perfection "This really surprised me. I can't think of a single negative thing to say" - Kmetamorphosis

Super Big Gun Adventure! The self-proclaimed cult classic!

Cult Symbol Maker "9.5/10","9/10","I like it! Good work!" - JTR

You can find all 30+ programs at www.nfyre.com

#3 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

Really enjoyable game ;)
I kind of like the simplistic/grid-like blocky graphics...
but feel that if the water looked more realistic/flowy & the art were made more "mainstream", that this would have a whole lot more appeal to many.

Really nicely done :huh:
(The gravity switching cracks the possibilities wide open).

Edited by dadio, 28 December 2009 - 12:57 PM.

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#4 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:02 AM

This is cool, as it were! Nice job! How does the level-unlocking work...?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 inarma

inarma

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 599 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

Interesting name. "Eau" doesn't that mean water or something in French?
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:46 AM

wow, this game is awesome! I kind of wish the water looked better, though it's still a lot of fun.
I only planned on playing the first couple levels but it's addicting! I finished the game.
I really hope to see this game polished out one day, it could totally turn commercial.
good luck!

poof_sig.png

#7 snowyowl

snowyowl

GMC Member

• 615 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:53 PM

Awesome. I'm fine with the graphics, I just wish it were easier to manipulate the water (but that's the point of the game, isn't it?). Anyway, excellent game.
Posted Image
Fight time travellers. Kill them three times each.

#8 Steve III

Steve III

GMC Member

• 180 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:18 AM

Wow, this game is cool, its a great game using only the basic water physics and gravity, imagine how much more you could do with the addition of.... I dunno, Sponges! Anyway, great game. :D
Cursed
Can you save your soul?

#9 GfxRippersSuck

GfxRippersSuck

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

Reminds me of the Shareware game Hydrocis for Amiga.

I started to create a similar game too, but I used single blue pixels for the water and stopped because I have no clue how to create good physics.

#10 cronus616

cronus616

Cronus Games, co.

• 394 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:01 AM

Haha quite fun.
Nice engine, too.

#11 GfxRippersSuck

GfxRippersSuck

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

There's an annoying bug. Sometimes when choosing a level, some of the blocks won't appear, be it the non-destructible walls, the brown blocks or the X. Only way around it is to close the game and restart it.

Also, is that all? I think I unlocked all(?) the levels, some can't be finished 100%. An online highscore list to compare us to other players would be interesting, or some cute graphics (think Japanese arcade puzzle games) and a story, more levels with more objects.

I really feel like playing it for a longer time, it's a bit short now.

#12 Charlo

Charlo

GMC Member

• 54 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:17 PM

For some reason the graphics are messed up for me. The walls only show up somewhat; same with the blocks. From what I could tell the gameplay was nice, but I didn't play past the third level.

I'm on Windows 7 if that makes a difference.

#13 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

Also, is that all? I think I unlocked all(?) the levels, some can't be finished 100%. An online highscore list to compare us to other players would be interesting, or some cute graphics (think Japanese arcade puzzle games) and a story, more levels with more objects.

I really feel like playing it for a longer time, it's a bit short now.

Yes, I know it is quite a short game. It was made for a competition, but I was already very late when I got the idea of the game, therefore there wasn't really much time left. So I only got to make 15 levels (including tutorials) including only basic objects.

Maybe I ever make a sequel, because I like the idea myself, but it lacks some polish.

The blocks bug some people seem to be having is, I think, due to surfaces. Not sure if Windows 7 handle these differently though.

#14 Lord Castellan Creed

Lord Castellan Creed

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

I have the same bug. This is on windows Xp

#15 Mr. Munchkin

Mr. Munchkin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:30 AM

It's quite a good game.
It must've taken ages to code it, but the outcome is definatly amazing.

Obviously there is no music, which was a little dissapointing. Because this was one of those games where I expected to hear lot's of water effects and soothing music. And I don't even turn my speakers on for half of the games I download! lol

I have nothing wrong with the graphics, personally I think they're quite good. And the way you didn't just create a new box for the left mouse button, and actually connected it with the previous one. That was another aspect that must've been hard to code. Although the water didn't really flow accurately. Although it did, just it didn't 'look' or 'feel' like it did.
But, I'm just guessing that it's from my low FPS.

What's up with the lag? It took me ages to get back to the main menu after each level. I hope that with a higher FPS it's much quicker. Because that's actually the reason I quit after the 5th level. My FPS was about... well, it flickered between 10 and 11.

I personally think that the idea is ingenious. It's original, addicting and overall fun to play for quite some time! I'll probably come back to it, or get it on another computer that can run quicker.

How long is the game? Like... how many levels?
I played for about 10-15 minutes and got to about the 5th level. But like I said, that was due to my low FPS, I would've happily played it for an hour or two. But I'm very impatient :)

Anyway, overall it's an excellent game. But I don't think I could actually get the full quality game due to the fps.
I'd probably give it about an 8/10. But that'd most likely be boosted up to a 9 or 10 if I got to play it on a better computer.

Thanks for posting the game!
~ Mr. Munchkin

#16 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2751 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:52 PM

I think I have to disappoint you, Mr. Munchkin, because there is no two hours of gameplay... To be honest the game is made rather hastily, so there are only 15 levels total (including the tutorials). I made sure the idea and gameplay worked and didn't really get to making more levels or a good scoring/unlocking system.

The framerate is a general issue, see the screenshot where it's also only 22 fps. The engine just isn't very fast... (it has to check every cell multiple times each frame).

When I have no other game ideas I might make a sequel with less grid cells to raise the framerate, more levels, maybe some more types of blocks, and better polish. No promise though!

#17 Mr. Munchkin

Mr. Munchkin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:07 PM

Well... 15 levels is longer then a 10 minute game.
Which is long enough in my opinion :).

Ah yep.
Are your computer specs reasonably high on the computer that got the 22 fps?

Haha, that would be awesome.
This one is a great game, and like I said earlier, with a great outcome. Definatly worth your time. In my opinion. But a sequal would have to have all of those things you suggested to be better. So weigh up the pro's and con's for a sequal. Up to you.

~ Mr. Munchkin

#18 Homeroe

Homeroe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:00 AM

I started of trying it out and got hooked, sadly, there were just a few levels and i was itchyng for a few more.

Well, it was fun while it lasted
My games:

#19 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

Awesome! But also very short. I would really like to see this game continued.

#20 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:59 PM

That's pretty cool. You never cease to amuse me <_<
I only made it to level 4 though.

Interesting name. "Eau" doesn't that mean water or something in French?

Yes it is... or should I say, Oui, il est. :D

For some reason the graphics are messed up for me. The walls only show up somewhat; same with the blocks. From what I could tell the gameplay was nice, but I didn't play past the third level.

I have the same bug. This is on windows Xp

I don't know why you guys are getting those problems. Maybe it's your OS. It worked fine for me using Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard.

Dev: MacBook Pro Retina Display 15" w/ Win7 (Parallels) running GM Studio: Master and GM8 (GMS: ANDROID JAVA EXTENSIONS ARE HERE!)
Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II / Samsung Galaxy S III / iPhone 4S / iPad 2 / iPod Touch 5th gen

Politics' is made up of two words, 'poli,' which is Greek for 'many,' and 'tics,' which are blood-sucking insects.

-Gore Vidal

#21 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:07 AM

wow, i've never felt dumber. these puzzles are pretty hard. nice game.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#22 antome

antome

GMC Member

• 305 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

What a great game!
This is a really enjoyable puzzle.
One thing I might suggest is that in levels like the one with the straight line or the one with the one concentration of water, is remove some of the moves. In the line one, I had at least 15 moves left over, and in the one with the one concentration, I had at least 30 or so, both at 100% water.

Some of them were logical, some of them were rather tricky, but If it's all I can say, then it used up an enjoyable 1-2 hours or so of my time.

Edited by antome, 14 April 2010 - 10:11 AM.

#23 GfxRippersSuck

GfxRippersSuck

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I remembered this game yesterday and restarted playing my copy, now I found this thread again and noticed there's even more water in the latest version!

Aaawesome ::lmao::

#24 warbo201

warbo201

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

loved it, had my attention for a good hour! only so much you can play thou, be good if you added some gore ;) lol

#25 Pounce 2.0

Pounce 2.0

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

loved it, had my attention for a good hour! only so much you can play thou, be good if you added some gore ;)/> lol

Gore in a water-filled puzzle game, lol good one.

#26 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm glad this topic was bumped... because I was unaware of the game, and wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Nice job Erik! This is an excellent puzzle game. It seems original and innovative, and the challenges are great fun (but difficult). The game is easy enough to understand, so I think the tutorials could be reduced. The last tutorial, for example, could just be another level in the game. (Not that it makes much difference, because it's fun either way.)

The graphics are fairly simple, but they work surprisingly well. Even the "blocks" of water still manage to create a feeling of water flowing. And the "wrap-around" feature adds a nice innovation to the puzzles. You've done a nice job of programming and level-design.

The levels get difficult to complete within the allotted moves -- so I haven't finished the game yet. Perhaps I'm suffering from eau d'idiot syndrome. :P But overall, I highly recommend this. Great puzzle game. :thumbsup: +1