Photo

Game Maker 8 And Softwrap: Yes Or No?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
723 replies to this topic

Poll: Game Maker 8, Softwrap, and the impending release date (809 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Game Maker 8 use Softwrap for a quicker release date?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

Sandy has asked me to post a poll to see what the community thinks about Game Maker 8, Softwrap, and the impending release date. Following is his message about this. No matter how strongly you feel either way, please keep the discussion civil. We did a pretty good with the last community project - let's do the same thing here.

EDIT (UPDATE) from Sandy. On reading your comments I've made a small change ...with immediate effect the default for Softwrap is FIVE installs, not 3.

From Sandy -

I'm still feeling a bit battered and bruised from the announcement of the new Game Maker Logo... so I'm a bit reluctant to do anything that might appear controversial. Every Friday Mark Overmars and I have a Skype call for at least an hour on discussing YoYo Games and Game Maker. Last week Mark raised the issue that the website changes we require to support removing Softwrap are behind schedule and are now at least 3 months away. Mark has been VERY busy at the University and he was worried that his ability to provide some of the code we need might take even longer.

The situation is pretty simple. Game Maker 8 is pretty much finished. Mark has taken a few days vacation to do a few small fixes and we'll be happy that we can release the product. BUT we can only do this quickly if we use Softwrap again.

We will hopefully be able to release before the end of December and Mark is ready to try and get the additional work required to support Softwrap completed during his vacation next week. As this his is NOT something we've been planning for, there may be issues we haven't anticipated, but we're both optimistic we can get the work required done quickly.

So, rather than just make a decision that I think is the right one, I thought I would repeat the positive part of the logo decision making process and give you, The Community, a chance to vote on the issue.

BEFORE you start getting excitable ..... at least take the following points into account, and then please just give us your vote!

• Going with Softwrap means you get GM8 in the next few weeks (our target is end of December)
  • We will use a different version of Softwrap from last time, which will hopefully reduce the few problems that persist
  • The YoYo Games solution will not be ready until at least the end of March
  • The YYG solution is a "Soft-DRM" and still requires some online activation
  • The YYG solution initially will have no more payment options than Softwrap currently provides
It's up to you, so please vote YES or NO to Softwrap.

#2 petenka

petenka

The Chosen One

• 911 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

So long as we switch to the yyg solution as soon as it is ready, I say yes to softwrap.
I WANT MAH GM8!!!
so yeah, I'm fine with softwrap. it worked for me perfectly fine always.
My Stuff:
Attack of the Jelly - A game about (oh, the horror) strawberry jelly!
Math Based Platformer Engine - The best physics for a platformer, ever.
Realtime Dynamic Fog - For realistic environmental effects.
Windy Snow - The best snow in all of gmc.
My Hate List:
Kubanen, Alex4Red, johnjoe

#3 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

Hell no.
Take all the time you want to get rid of that abomination properly and do it well.
It's the tiny little detail that pretty much ruined gm7 for me.

Do it like blizzard, it's done when it's done and when it's done it's good.

Edited by 9_6, 14 December 2009 - 08:21 PM.

#4 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

It worked for me fine as well. The only problem I ever had with it was some slight confusion about how to use a key multiple times, but I always managed to figure it out.

How did it ruin GM7 for you, 9_6?

I'm not defending Softwrap - I only ask because I feel that if you've got such a strong opinion about it, you should at least explain why so the rest of us can discuss it properly.

#5 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4734 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

Personally i've never had problem with softwrap and Sandy does state its a new/different version from the current model that people have had problems with. So i'm perfectly fine if they decide to use softwrap for GM8.

So am happy enought to vote yes for the use of softwrap.

2mma14z.jpg 2nu6efl.jpg 28whvdt.jpg

#6 WadeMcGillis

WadeMcGillis

wademcgillis.com

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

Sure, keep Softwrap. Then GM9 can have all of the features that YoYo hinted at: online highscores built in, microtransactions, no Softwrap, etc.

#7 FlatLander

FlatLander

Strictly 2D

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:28 PM

Well Softwrap has caused problems for me but a 3 month fix seems too long. (Esp. if 3 months becomes 6 months ...)
A different version of Softwrap offers some hope, I suppose.

[edited for typo]

Edited by FlatLander, 14 December 2009 - 08:56 PM.

Chris

GM:Studio 1.2 with all the toppings. (Beta channel.)

#8 emanuel87

emanuel87

GMC Member

• 176 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

Is there an option for us, if problems occur, to 'reactivate' with YYG solution? say if i bought a license now, using softwrap, if problems occur should i wait for few months until the accomplishment of "YYG's solution" and reactivate with it, is that an option?

#9 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

If YYG goes with Softwrap, it could be the permanent solution for GM8. I don't think they can say whether or not they will implement their own solution later on, should they go with Softwrap initially.

#10 sevcik.daniel

sevcik.daniel

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

I haven't got any error with softwrap in GM7 activation.
Cold Engine Graphs - free graphs system for your games
Cold Engine Console - free debugging console system for your games
Posted Image - upcoming indie game

#11 SLarouche

SLarouche

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

I never had a problem with Softwrap, so I prefer to have GM8 sooner ^_^ please.

thanks,

#12 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

How did it ruin GM7 for you, 9_6?

I'm not defending Softwrap - I only ask because I feel that if you've got such a strong opinion about it, you should at least explain why so the rest of us can discuss it properly.

Fair enough.

I like being able to work on my stuff whenever I want to. Without sometimes having to email and wait for someones response for a varying amount of time.
I also like my game maker reliably staying registered.
Furthermore, I like always being able to register it properly, even if I don't have internet. Just in case, you know?

Why do I like this?
Because I spend a lot of time on my projects and thus don't want to jeopardize their existence because I use a tool that might just stop working altogether for an indefinite amount of time.
Basically if you're at a place with no internet and no possibility to have it back the next few weeks and your game maker decided to unregister itself, you're screwed.

It also totally depends on whether or not the softwrap servers work, you know? And why should the thing I bought depend on the server of a third party
It's the usual drm dilemma, I feel like I rented the thing rather than actually having it. It bugs the hell out of me with games already but now tools too?
That doesn't ever happen with gm6.

Or to make it even shorter: I like using absolutely reliable tools for time consuming projects and games always are time consuming projects.
I also like my freedom. Freedom is good. I don't wanna have to beg for something like installs for the product I legally bought.

That's about it.

Edited by 9_6, 14 December 2009 - 08:56 PM.

#13 sandyd

sandyd

Lord of the YoYo!!

• GMC Elder
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:44 PM

I can't see us changing the way we wrap GM8 half way through. SO, if you're concerned that the keys will get out of sync...don't, but see this as a vote for the life of GM8. We CAN change this mid-term, but it's possibly a lot of work, so for now we want to know you'll accept a Softwrap based solution until further notice.
"Tao people never try, they do" Lao Tse

#14 Pinpickle

Pinpickle

Abscure Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1353 posts

I had a problem with Softwrap, and Softwrap fixed it on the spot.
I have no problems with keeping it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

If YYG goes with Softwrap, it could be the permanent solution for GM8. I don't think they can say whether or not they will implement their own solution later on, should they go with Softwrap initially.

I'm not reading anything in Sandy's communication that suggests when the YYG's solution is available, they won't implement it replacing Softwrap, within GM8.

To me this is a no brainer. Vote YES.

Voting YES, we get GM8 with Softwrap until about March then we get GM8 with the YYG DRM.

Voting NO, have nothing until about March.

What possible advantage is there voting NO?

*EDIT* Whoooops just read Sandy's update. That changes things.

Edited by NakedPaulToast, 14 December 2009 - 08:46 PM.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#16 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

Not a big fan of Softwrap, for several reasons (including a lot of what 9_6 said).

However, are the 'other' options really going to be better? I hope this isn't a case where it's better to have the devil you know, than the devil you don't....

We CAN change this mid-term, but it's possibly a lot of work, so for now we want to know you'll accept a Softwrap based solution until further notice.

I voted no in the poll, but yeah, of course I have no problems with you using Softwrap, while looking at other options.

Edited by Desert Dog, 14 December 2009 - 08:48 PM.

HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#17 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

Doesn't make much sense why you people couldn't just live with softwrap for a bit ^_^. At the rate the poll is going we'll be waiting a couple more months...
Posted ImageLinx~

#18 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

I say avoid Softwrap -- whatever the delay in GM8 may be. Besides, GM8 may not be as ready as Sandy says it is. His track record estimating these things isn't very good.

Here's the problem: Softwrap often IGNORES email that doesn't have exactly the information they need. Not even a peep saying "we need more info". I've had to help dozens of members after Softwrap just ignored their registration problems. I'm sick of it.

GM8 offers some great new features, and I'll definitely upgrade. But these new features don't justify going with Softwrap again.

There's a saying in West Texas where I spent my summers: don't serve apple pie on a cow chip.
Geometricks 3D Rendering Demo / In Silico 3D Kinematics Simulation
Warped Space 3D Gravity Simulation / Surface Explorer Animated Surface Demo
Oscilloscope Animated Lissajous Figures

Featured Games at YoYo: Drop in the Bucket, Tut's Test(3rd place competition winner)

Older games at: Flying Banjo Games

#19 WadeMcGillis

WadeMcGillis

wademcgillis.com

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

His track record estimating these things isn't very good.

Careful, sandy's reading this topic right now!

#20 Comando32

Comando32

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 112 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

I vote to have soft wrap in gm8. I recently had my GM7 DE-activate (its vista 64-bit, its anything but compatible with gm8) on my third computer I used my code on. when I contacted them about it, they renewed my code as of their first response for another three uses, no questions asked (may it be noted I provided some info in the first email). I believe allot of the reports of softwrap being unhelpful and rude have been people with lite who call in and say "I can haz pro plz?" and then rant when they get rejected. now I know some of you truly had issues with them, but I think after the whole nomoresoftwrap rally started they decided to ramp up their customer support before they believed they might start finding severed fingers in shoe boxes waiting on their front step.

So personally never experiencing an issue with them, I vote yes to this decision. I want my GM8 before 2008!...err...2010!

#21 DXsmiley

DXsmiley

The Observer

• GMC Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

I think use softwarp and get GM8 released, then release gm 8.1 without softwarp and few new features and bug fixes. ^_^
:D

#22 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:58 PM

I voted yes becuase I would rather have GM8 sooner than later, and so far I have had no problems with softwrap. So personaly I dont care if YYG keeps softwrap or not, I just want GM8 to be released.

InvaderX.gif

#23 WadeMcGillis

WadeMcGillis

wademcgillis.com

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:58 PM

From Sandy -
BEFORE you start getting excitable ..... at least take the following points into account, and then please just give us your vote!

• Going with Softwrap means you get GM8 in the next few weeks (our target is end of December)
  • We will use a different version of Softwrap from last time, which will hopefully reduce the few problems that persist
  • The YYG solution initially will have no more payment options than Softwrap currently provides

Sandy, can you give us more details other than "a different version of Softwrap" and "The YYG solution is a 'Soft-DRM' and still requires some online activation"?

#24 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:59 PM

I'll copy out a post I made on GMB for my comment on this. Don't know if Sandy saw it on GMB (it's directed at Sandy, which is why it says "you" a lot)

By using Softwrap could you remove the three-activations-only thing? I’m well aware it would increase piracy rates. However, at the same time, it’s what’s been bugging people that have willingly paid for the software. For example – I’ve had to reinstall my OS four times this year. The first two were okay, I could reactivate it. The third time was alright – Softwrap were quick (under 24 hours) to respond. But the fourth time, YYG (may have even been you) said Softwrap had lost the email. I lost two weeks of owning GM Pro before you guys had to reactivate it instead. Those two weeks were part of a four-week contest, which pretty much destroyed my chances in it.

That’s what I don’t like about Softwrap AS IT STANDS IN GM7 – it’s a piece of DRM that’s a pain to paying customers. If you could either remove the activation limits, add a “Disactivate this copy of Pro” button (though it wouldn’t help with crashes), or make it so a registration will automatically undo itself after, say, a month of GM not being used, then I would support it in GM8. If not (and pointing out you’ve already said in the YYG glog Softwrap is gone) I’ll wait until 2010.

So I'll hold off voting, as it's a condition I don't know about that's holding off my decision.

Edited by NAL, 14 December 2009 - 09:00 PM.

Posted Image

#25 sandyd

sandyd

Lord of the YoYo!!

• GMC Elder
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:02 PM

that's why we're having a vote. If you don't want it and would rather wait, vote NO.

I'll copy out a post I made on GMB for my comment on this. Don't know if Sandy saw it on GMB (it's directed at Sandy, which is why it says "you" a lot)

By using Softwrap could you remove the three-activations-only thing? Iím well aware it would increase piracy rates. However, at the same time, itís whatís been bugging people that have willingly paid for the software. For example Ė Iíve had to reinstall my OS four times this year. The first two were okay, I could reactivate it. The third time was alright Ė Softwrap were quick (under 24 hours) to respond. But the fourth time, YYG (may have even been you) said Softwrap had lost the email. I lost two weeks of owning GM Pro before you guys had to reactivate it instead. Those two weeks were part of a four-week contest, which pretty much destroyed my chances in it.

Thatís what I donít like about Softwrap AS IT STANDS IN GM7 Ė itís a piece of DRM thatís a pain to paying customers. If you could either remove the activation limits, add a ďDisactivate this copy of ProĒ button (though it wouldnít help with crashes), or make it so a registration will automatically undo itself after, say, a month of GM not being used, then I would support it in GM8. If not (and pointing out youíve already said in the YYG glog Softwrap is gone) Iíll wait until 2010.

So I'll hold off voting, as it's a condition I don't know about that's holding off my decision.

#26 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

that's why we're having a vote. If you don't want it and would rather wait, vote NO.

That doesn't answer my question, though. It's only the 3-activation limit that I dislike about Softwrap, everything else worked absolutely fine with it.

If you could alter that to add extra activations or no limit, then I'm happy for Softwrap to stay and GM8 to come three months earlier.

Posted Image

#27 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:06 PM

That would be pretty messed up now if gm8 will in the end turn out to be permanently stuck with softwrap again.
So many people are willing to accept it just because they got help after having issues with it (!) immediately.

At some point sandy himself said (if I remember correctly, it's ben a long while) that they were not happy with their decision to use softwrap.
But was there a gm7.1 that uses something else? No.

Just wanted to get that fact out to people who think there might be a gm8.1 that uses something else so softwrap, for now, would be fine.
I don't think so.

Also they even stopped 'supporting' gm6 for no reason, basically illegalizing the only alternative.
Would slapping a gm6 key on the e-mail you get when you buy gm7 like you used to get for gm5 when buying gm6 have been too hard of a technical thing to do?

Edited by 9_6, 14 December 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#28 sandyd

sandyd

Lord of the YoYo!!

• GMC Elder
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

The first version of GM7 (first 4 months or so) used a very custom version of their DRM...so there were more problems that I would expect now....also note our own helpdesk understands and can fix most of the remaining Softwrap issues. We haven't finished the spec of our own code, but think of it as an easy to manage DRM (because we have all of the tools to change things without asking someone else what has happened).

From Sandy -

Sandy, can you give us more details other than "a different version of Softwrap" and "The YYG solution is a 'Soft-DRM' and still requires some online activation"?

#29 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1961 posts

I had no problems with Softwrap, but better to get it out of the way now rather than later.

Posted Image
The next generation of Game Maker fighting games? More like the best.
Showdown Academy | Showdown Academy Blog

Check out my new album at last.fm: KatazTrophee

#30 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

You should rename the poll to "Have you ever had problems with Softwrap?"...

#31 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

Here's my two cents: Softwrap has spent a few years at least developing their system. Yoyogames has spent a few months developing theirs. Who's to say the YoYo Games version (built to replicate softwrap pretty much exactly) wont have just as many problems, maybe more?

I still voted no. I want to remove softwrap so there's no more excuses for people to blame their problems on.

#32 GXCGames

GXCGames

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

Yes, Softwrap should be used. Now here's the good and bad sides of using it. These were all that based on my decision.

Good Side: Game Maker 8 will be released quicker. Plus it's a good idea to put in that extra vote. :)

Bad Side: One time when I was going to get the Pro version of GM7, I tried to activate my code on one computer, but it didn't work. :D Then I tried on my other computer, and it worked. ^_^ I'm sure that glitch will be fixed in the newer version if Softwrap gets chosen.

Once GM8 comes out, I'm going to be making games like there's no tomorrow! Hopefully there will be those sprite sets that were mentioned for GM8 a long time ago.

#33 WadeMcGillis

WadeMcGillis

wademcgillis.com

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

You know what would be nice? If Softwrap was used for 8.0, then in March YoYoGames released 8.1, sans Softwrap.

#34 sandyd

sandyd

Lord of the YoYo!!

• GMC Elder
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:16 PM

DRMs will ALL have finite reset limits..ours will too...that's how you avoid people creating multiple copies... (note I don't say "stealing" or "illegal"... maybe "unauthorised" ??) For your AVERAGE user 3 installs is more than enough, if you need more we almost always agree to reset the license count. I'd be disappointed if anyone here could legitimately (i.e. has proof of purchase...that's normally nothing more than the original email address) say we've refused to reset their license count.... ?

That doesn't answer my question, though. It's only the 3-activation limit that I dislike about Softwrap, everything else worked absolutely fine with it.

If you could alter that to add extra activations or no limit, then I'm happy for Softwrap to stay and GM8 to come three months earlier.

#35 HighQuality

HighQuality

Wuka World Creator

• GMC Member
  • 610 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:16 PM

I think use softwarp and get GM8 released, then release gm 8.1 without softwarp and few new features and bug fixes. ^_^

That was almost exactly what I said at the yoyogames blog XD
I would say Yes, I never got a problem with softwrap.
Posted Image Posted Image
Wuka World 2 - Currently in development
Find out more at www.nevereal.net

#36 danii

danii

GMC Member

• 122 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

I vote yes, but I'd go with the idea that you release this version as GM8, then you release the Better Quality program as GM8.1

#37 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

DRMs will ALL have finite reset limits..ours will too...that's how you avoid people creating multiple copies... (note I don't say "stealing" or "illegal"... maybe "unauthorised" ??) For your AVERAGE user 3 installs is more than enough, if you need more we almost always agree to reset the license count.

I think you're wrong. I don't think 3 is enough for the average user.

What's the point of a finite reset limit? It's to stop people posting their keys on the internet and having thousands of people use it. But I think there should be a compromise we can find allowing for more than three, but less than thousands.

I would suggest no less than 5, and no more than 10. You have to remember that A) People who use this kind of thing are also adventurous when it comes to things like installing or reinstalling operating systems. B) The life of the program is not necessarily just until the next version of GM comes out.

I think 10 is verging on too many, and 5 is verging on not enough. Maybe 6?

Just a thought.

Edited by Dangerous_Dave, 14 December 2009 - 09:26 PM.

#38 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

DRMs will ALL have finite reset limits..ours will too...that's how you avoid people creating multiple copies... (note I don't say "stealing" or "illegal"... maybe "unauthorised" ??) For your AVERAGE user 3 installs is more than enough, if you need more we almost always agree to reset the license count.

Wow...
Welcome to the future where companies tell you how many installs are more than enough and where you need 'authorization' for every x installs.
Besides, you can just install gm7 on up to 3 computers and then ask for more installs so that 'multiple copy' reasoning is pretty moot.

Did you ever consider that you could maybe make a step towards customers instead of assuming they're all pirates by default anyway?
Not that I tolerate that but you can't argue against DRM restrictions such as controlling your number of installs encouraging people to actually become pirates.

But yeah, awesome to know that you didn't even plan to cure gm from the 'limited installs' sickness and probably won't ever do so.

Edited by 9_6, 14 December 2009 - 09:43 PM.

#39 FlatLander

FlatLander

Strictly 2D

• GMC Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

@Sandy

"at least 3 months away" is a bit worrying. What are the chances of your not be able to release until >April?

Chris

GM:Studio 1.2 with all the toppings. (Beta channel.)

#40 RedChu

RedChu

Demented Misanthrope

• GMC Elder
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:35 PM

I say yes. I've never dealt with Softwrap personally, as my GM7 Pro was a gift from someone, but even though I've heard bad things about Softwrap, they seem to resolve the issues fairly quickly.

So yeah, use Softwrap.

#41 nickydude

nickydude

MadLad Designs

• GMC Member
  • 626 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

By using Softwrap could you remove the three-activations-only thing?

I've also had occasions of reinstalling operating systems and replacing hardware numerous time and having to email to be able to activate again and I'm sure this will happen again (constantly upgrading the machine you see. :)). As long as I can activate it numerous time (with an email) they YES, go with Softwrap, but if, say after 6, 7 time's you're not allowed then NO I'd rather wait.

Edited by nickydude, 14 December 2009 - 09:46 PM.

My Specs: Windows 7, 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660,  Intel Core i5 3330 @ 3.00GHz, 8GB Ram.

#42 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Historian

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

Softwrap wouldn't let me update to GM7 and I DON'T want to spend another few years without pro.
I vote no.

AczgxAZ.png

^kept in my sig for historical purposes^

#43 sandyd

sandyd

Lord of the YoYo!!

• GMC Elder
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:46 PM

So vote NO...really that's OK !

Wow...
Welcome to the future where companies tell you how many installs are more than enough and where you need 'authorization' for every x installs.
Besides, you can just install gm7 on up to 3 computers and then ask for more installs so that 'multiple copy' reasoning is pretty moot.

Did you ever consider that you could maybe make a step towards customers instead of assuming they're all pirates by default anyway?
Not that I tolerate that but you can't argue against DRM restrictions such as controlling your number of installs encouraging people to actually become pirates.

But yeah, awesome to know that you didn't even plan to cure gm from the 'limited installs' sickness and probably won't ever do so.

#44 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

Never had much of a problem with Softwrap, but they certainly aren't the best with user feedback, as I've discovered. I don't need GM8 anytime soon, so I wouldn't mind the delay.

#45 Meta Black Yoshi

Meta Black Yoshi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1735 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

I think 9_6 is more worried about the install limit. In which case it wont matter whether he votes no or yes since you said it would have an install limit either way. Right?....

So vote NO...really that's OK !

Wow...

#46 not_patrick

not_patrick

GMC Member

• 201 posts

Definately not. Softwrap was very problematic in GM7. Even if you personally had no trouble with it, please be patient and allow Mark and YYG to make a system that works better for everyone.

#47 sandyd

sandyd

Lord of the YoYo!!

• GMC Elder
  • 141 posts

Little secret...if you email support@softrapw.com and ask for a reset, you get more than 3 resets. You ask for resets twice, usually you get that too. Some people (understandably) hate the principle of asking, but we are unlikely to refuse a reasonable request.

#48 gnysek

gnysek

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 613 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Yes, they should use Softwrap again, and later in about 3-4 months they should release 8.1 version with own distribution platform and eventually bug fixes.

Previously game developer at YoYoGames, Currently PHP developer in DB-Team
Programming and working with: GML/C#/PHP/JS/MySql/CSS/HTML

Follow 
@GameMakerUpdate to get info about latest versions of GM when they are released: https://twitter.com/GameMakerUpdate or visit website.

(it's managed by bot, not by human, remember)

#49 sandyd

sandyd

Lord of the YoYo!!

• GMC Elder
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

I'm not promising an 8.1

Yes, they should use Softwrap again, and later in about 3-4 months they should release 8.1 version with own distribution platform and eventually bug fixes.

#50 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 3111 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:56 PM

I personally have never had a single problem with the softwrap system. I have had to ask for more uses from my key half a dozen times and have never had them ignore my request, and they usually did so by the next day. I know people have trouble with softwrap's support, but I think that is rather the person's fault. If I was softrawp and got an e-mail saying, "I l1ke n33d 4 m0re use 4 my GM key" I would ignore it as well. If people give a nice structured e-mail giving info, they reply quite fast.

NEWS FLASH! You can't get to heaven by your works. No chance. Hopeless. Give up now. No amount of works will get you anywhere, in fact all your efforts have been botched years ago because you already missed perfection the first time you lied, stole, or performed any of those other lovelies.

That said, do you want to go to heaven? Not the hellish picture given by cartoons. You know, the nightmarish one where you are renting a cloud and harp? I mean, holy crap, where did that come from? I am talking about a bonafide city, people, designed by God no less. Heck, read John's Revelation 21 if you want details. Getting to heaven is extremely simple, actually, the how and why is spelled out in Paul's letter to the Romans, summarized in Romans 10:9,10. God lived a perfect life and died in your place, covering every one of your mistakes and failures past and future. All you have to do is believe that He did what he said He did and accept the gift. Bam, you're saved. Done deal. Complicated, no? Questions? PM me.