23 replies to this topic

#1 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:39 AM

THIS IS INFINITY

A very abstract game about exploring rules, graphics, goals, behavior and interaction. Created for Ludum Dare 16 with the theme "Exploration". Made in about 36 hrs... I started kinda late and finished late as well.

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2TONcq_PGxs <- Semi-spoiler trailer

>>>>> http://cactusquid.co...nfinityv101.zip <<<<<

WASD + Mouse

Edited by cactus, 14 December 2009 - 01:41 PM.

#2 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 333 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

Darn! It was just getting cool when I got this error

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event
for object objCamera:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

Still, that was awesome. A little confusing at first. But it was awesome.

#3 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:07 PM

I played it, and had a terrible time figuring it out. I went into a ball, and then quit and restarted, then I went into a triangle, and then the walls...
I stopped, I was scared of having a seizure. Maybe put a notice that people who have a history of seizures will most likely have one during this game.

#4 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:21 PM

It's REALLY boring to me...

#5 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

Yes, this game doesn't have any action and requires a bit of patience to figure out. It also requires some decent observation skills, and probably good orientation as well. I didn't have any time for play testing, so the difficulty may be off the charts for some people. Sorry about that. I'm sure anyone who plays it to the end will find it a somewhat satisfying (and painful) experience, though.

#6 manther

manther

The crazy monkey

• 116 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:00 AM

I don't really know what I was doing as I kept getting distracted by the pattern the dots made. Will have to figure this out sometime.

#7 HeyJD

HeyJD

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:56 AM

so what is the point of this game! it's like you just walk around and that's all. although I do have to say it IS programmed well.

#8 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:56 AM

so what is the point of this game! it's like you just walk around and that's all. although I do have to say it IS programmed well.

To summarize the game: Find four portals, figure out what to do after you enter each portal, then figure out how to get to the end. The objective in each area is fairly simple, but because of the way the game is presented it can be hard to figure out. Observe the elements you see in each level to get a clue to what is actually going on, and you'll probably be able to beat the game relatively quickly.

#9 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:22 AM

After reading your summary, it makes perfect sense now, I just had a hard time seeing.
It would be so much easier if my eyes didn't bleed when I looked at it.

#10 HeyJD

HeyJD

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

To summarize the game: Find four portals, figure out what to do after you enter each portal, then figure out how to get to the end. The objective in each area is fairly simple, but because of the way the game is presented it can be hard to figure out. Observe the elements you see in each level to get a clue to what is actually going on, and you'll probably be able to beat the game relatively quickly.

oh i see now. thanks heaps. :huh:

#11 edgespear

edgespear

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 729 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

It's like being on acid...Just needs a lava lamp and some sitar music and i'd be out of it!

#12 cactus

cactus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:43 AM

I decided to write a walkthrough and an explanation of the game:
http://cactusquid.bl...s-infinity.html

Hopefully this will allow more people to enjoy it.

#13 ardveson

ardveson

GMC Member

• 322 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:55 AM

ow, my eyes. i didnt understand it at all, i followed a bird like thing until i was lost completely in a hellish eye-killer void

#14 DTtheLEGEND

DTtheLEGEND

GMC Member

• 81 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:03 AM

Wow. This game is hell on my eyes. Im sorry but damn there is a standard.
I wish there was an epilepsy warning or something like "Play in a well lit room".
To be honest, I stopped at what i can assume to be level 2.
It get the concept "Something strange and uncomfortable until you understand the pattern"
which is great on paper. The execution of this, however, is horrible.

I would suggest changing the graphics from "ACID TRIP" to "I-POD COMMERCIAL".
Atleast if it had silhouettes that SLOWLY changed colors, it would be easier on the eyes.

Hell, the colors could be a part of the hint like you have to find out which color is the right
one in order to find the portal er something. Its just walking around in darkness while
lights are flashing inside of what one might call "A light source in a horrible skybox".

I can get over the frustration of whats not going on - The concept is not the issue.
I CANT get over the frustration of what im seeing - Its the delivery is the issue.

An alien experience doesnt have to be a painful one.
I will be looking for this in the future.
Hopefully it will have a more merciful lighting system.

Edited by DTtheLEGEND, 26 December 2009 - 03:33 PM.

#15 Oddwarg

Oddwarg

GMC Member

• 73 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

Hey, I found this over at ludum dare. I finished it at my second try, the first time I got some surface error that broke the game at the level where you must only move when the strange thing is not moving. I rather enjoyed it, but I don't think regular folks who have not been trained in understanding computer graphics and game mechanics will be able to understand anything at all. The graphics were really outstanding.

#16 WillShattuck

WillShattuck

GMC Member

• 33 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:37 AM

Interesting game. Thanks for the hints in a post further down from the top. I entered the cones world and rather quickly figured that one out. I couldn't figure the Spheres one out until I saw your walk through. Now I wish I would have tried harder before looking at the walkthrough.

I agree that there should be some sort of warning about the lights. Even in a well lit room it strained my eyes. I think I entered a different state of consciousness at one point in the sphere world. :snitch:

#17 ZakIsBehindYou

ZakIsBehindYou

GMC Member

• 190 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:54 AM

This is awesome. You successfully delivered what you were trying to do with this, in my opinion.

#18 Syphilis

Syphilis

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 127 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:35 AM

This was awesome. Gets my vote in the cage match.

I was on the 4th puzzle and I almost beat it (with out looking at any kind of walkthrough, summary or hint), but my virus protection popped up and was my computers focus. Becuase of the games control of the mouse, I couldn't close this window and thus, had to quit the game. Later, checking the walkthrough I found that I was on the right track and so close to beating the game.

Great job.

#19 james mihaly

james mihaly

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:17 AM

This games was trippy as ****!;) Dunno why but for me, it's what I think an LSD trip would be like, never tried it, but this was freaking awesome!!B-) I love abstract, psychedelic stuff:P, except this kinda looks lika a badtrip, but enjoyed it as a game for not being there in my real mind:P... for the moment:O

Edited by james mihaly, 12 January 2010 - 03:18 AM.

#20 yomomma

yomomma

GMC Member

• 367 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:36 AM

It took me a minute to figure out I was even playing the game. I'm gonna need to peep that walkthrough.

#21 Spartan117John

Spartan117John

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:45 AM

Wow... looks awesome! This is definitely the most trippy game I've ever played! I really like the main world, but the task are very difficult to figure out. The only task i was able to determine on my own was the cone one... the others i had to peak for. Perhaps a little more clarity is needed. But its a thin line to walk, because too much clarity will kill the game. Great concept, though. And the graphics are good.

#22 farqumic76

farqumic76

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:45 AM

hey! I actually found this really interesting though a little confusing at first and you couldn't stare at it too long, good job anyway!

There wouldn't be any way you could tell me how you got everything to change colour like that cause thats sort of the effect i'm trying to achieve in my 2d platforming game cause i think the effect makes everything seem quite creepy.

#23 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

I walked around assuming it was a 3d test
And all the sudden i hit a ball then i saw lots of flying spheres with trails and they
moved when i tried to move and oh i was scared

i restarted the game
i later hit a triangle and lots of white squares everywhere no leave me alone
i resterted again
i then hit something else and i found lots of dots everywhere
figuring out they were walls to a maze
i easily went through when i got to the end i found a big tower of flashing
light so i touched it and it restarted the maze
im not playing that game ever again
but it was intresting

#24 imam_mashur

imam_mashur