897 replies to this topic

#31 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16025 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:57 PM

Fresnal stops responding from the start.

Are the dlls compiled without debug information, because they seem rather huge

#32 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:48 AM

It doesn't appear to work in GM8 Release Candidate 2 for some reason, though it works fine in GM7.

Any idea as to why?

Also, any kind of level editor for Ogre3D would be awesome, mostly just to place instances in 3D. Is there some kind of plugin like this? Even if there isn't, maybe we could make one that just exports a script for each object placed to be loaded at game start by a simple load routine using obj_event_add for create, destroy, and step events. If Max WinAPI works with this, it'd be insanely easy to design one.

Finally, what model and animation formats does Ogre3D support?

#33 PsichiX

PsichiX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:46 AM

It doesn't appear to work in GM8 Release Candidate 2 for some reason, though it works fine in GM7.

because gmogre use SnakePL gmapi, which not work with gm8 yet.

Houdini, gmogre can return OGL device context and renderer context handles? because I want to try manage this from PlayGate and make some tests :D

Edited by PsichiX, 02 December 2009 - 07:13 AM.

#34 Houdini

Houdini

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:23 AM

Fresnal stops responding from the start.

Are the dlls compiled without debug information, because they seem rather huge

icuurd12b42,

Are you able to run the other example projects just fine? Also, if you could PM me the GMOgre3D.log file I can take a look to see what the issue may be.

The DLLs are not compiled with debug info. This is just how large the OGRE DLLs compile to. FYI, if I include debug info they compile to a whopping 20MB. :D

Any idea as to why?

Also, any kind of level editor for Ogre3D would be awesome, mostly just to place instances in 3D. Is there some kind of plugin like this? Even if there isn't, maybe we could make one that just exports a script for each object placed to be loaded at game start by a simple load routine using obj_event_add for create, destroy, and step events. If Max WinAPI works with this, it'd be insanely easy to design one.

Finally, what model and animation formats does Ogre3D support?

Ace,

PsichiX is correct, GMOgre3D uses GMAPI, which currently doesn't support GM8. As soon as it does I'll make sure to update my project to add support in.

As for level editors go, the popular one seems to be Ogitor (http://www.ogitor.org/about/). It even comes with the source code (LGPL).

Houdini, gmogre can return OGL device context handle? because I want to try manage this from PlayGate and make some tests :D

PsichiX, I can return both the HDC for the GM window and the OpenGL rendering context handle that OGRE uses. I don't currently have an interface in GMOgre3D to return these, but it would be easy to add.

However, I'm currently having an issue with the OpenGL renderer. If I load my GMOgre3D DLL from a Win32 app then the OpenGL renderer works fine. If I run from inside GM it crashes horribly unless I disable loading of all overlays. DirectX9 renderer works just fine in GM though. Still tracking this one down...

- Houdini

Edited by Houdini, 02 December 2009 - 07:25 AM.

#35 PsichiX

PsichiX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

If I load my GMOgre3D DLL from a Win32 app then the OpenGL renderer works fine. If I run from inside GM it crashes horribly unless I disable loading of all overlays.

hmm, can you give me more information about this on PM? maybe I can help :D

Edited by PsichiX, 02 December 2009 - 07:27 AM.

#36 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16025 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:46 AM

The DLLs are not compiled with debug info. This is just how large the OGRE DLLs compile to. FYI, if I include debug info they compile to a whopping 20MB. :D

Holy moly... And they offer no means to trim it down? Building a ogre.lib you link to your DLL instead, so unused stuff are excluded?

I'll PM you the log. Only that example locks up.

#37 Xilvium

Xilvium

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

@Ace :
As for a level editor for placing entity's and such I would highly recommend this editor: http://www.ogitor.org < it has specially been made for Ogre3D

@Houdini:
As for the paged geometry plugin I would recommend this one: Paged Geometry Forum + Download
I would recommend this one because it is very powerfull and extremely easy to use. (I also have expirience with this one haha)

#38 Houdini

Houdini

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

FYI, a new version of GMOgre has been released. This contains just small bug fixes, a few new functions, and compatibility with GM's direction variable (ie, a yaw of 0 now points towards the positive x axis and incrementing this would turn counter-clockwise, just like the direction variable of GM).

Also, there are now 3 basic wiki tutorials online. You can view them here:
http://code.google.c.../Tutorials?tm=6

My next plans are to fix OpenGL support, add paged terrain, and of course continue to add more tutorials/documentation.

- Houdini

#39 mauge

mauge

GMC Member

• 52 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:38 AM

What do you mean?

He's referring to the fact that if you go half-way under water the reflection at the top of the water is screwed up. The answer to this is both yes and no. It should not be happening, but it's not a bug in GMOgre3D. The GM fresnal project is converted from the fresnal sample app that comes with OGRE and that sample app has that same bug.

I just never took the time to try and figure out how to fix their sample.

- Houdini

Maybe this isn't a bug. As far as I know the fresnel effect is exactly what's shown on the screenshot. The strength of a reflection on a surface depends on the view angle. So it doesn't look wrong to me. If you look straight down on a water surface there will be almost no reflection. But if your are really close to the water and look along the surface it should be like a mirror.

Thanks for the tutorials! I'll study them later. I started a project which I'd like to realize with GMOgre. Are you going to write a tutorial on how to use animated models in the near future?

#40 Houdini

Houdini

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the tutorials! I'll study them later. I started a project which I'd like to realize with GMOgre. Are you going to write a tutorial on how to use animated models in the near future?

Yes I am. I'm in the middle of the 4th tutorial on how to use multiple scene managers and dual screen. Once this is complete the very next tutorial will be on animation. Should be up sometime this weekend.

- Houdini

#41 mauge

mauge

GMC Member

• 52 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

Oh, that's great! Please don't hurry. Take your time. Thank you very much!

#42 LoopStan

LoopStan

North-See Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1398 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:04 AM

I have been using OGRE 3D for a while and love it, this is the first time I have seen this topic though, can't wait to try it out! Looks great and thanks for porting it.

#43 Marchal_Mig12

Marchal_Mig12

The Rhouan

• GMC Member
  • 1180 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

This is awesome. I've never seen anything running that smooth in GameMaker. I would be really happy to see some collision example (e.g.: platformer, FPS).

#44 Houdini

Houdini

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

This is awesome. I've never seen anything running that smooth in GameMaker. I would be really happy to see some collision example (e.g.: platformer, FPS).

I plan on working on a simple collision example in the future, although the best option would be to wait for GMNewton 2 to be released (end of this month hopefully!). I've been working with Hanson and he already has support for GMOgre3D integrated into GMNewton 2. It will be a better option than the basic collision detection that comes with GMOgre3D. When it's released I'll create a GMK example that shows how to use GMNewton 2 with GMOgre3D.

- Houdini

#45 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16025 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:50 PM

Doesnt ogre have a collision system?

#46 Houdini

Houdini

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:18 PM

Doesnt ogre have a collision system?

Collision system built into OGRE? No. Simple rays you can cast to detect when it hits an object, yes.

- Houdini

#47 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16025 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:01 AM

So, newton will talk with ogre directly? That will be best.

#48 LoopStan

LoopStan

North-See Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1398 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:03 PM

Is there anyway to use an existing physics engine that is ported to gm like gmnewton? Or do i have to wait. I haven't done much with 3D with gm, only outside of it :blink:

Or should I just wait until the next release with physics?

#49 Houdini

Houdini

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

Is there anyway to use an existing physics engine that is ported to gm like gmnewton? Or do i have to wait. I haven't done much with 3D with gm, only outside of it :blink:

Or should I just wait until the next release with physics?

GMNewton 2 will be released with full support for GMOgre3D. That would be the physics engine I would recommend using, when it's released.

So, newton will talk with ogre directly? That will be best.

No, currently GMOgre3D and GMNewton do not speak directly to each other. However this is a possibility that may be looked into in the future.

- Houdini

#50 Houdini

Houdini

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

GMOgre3D version 0.86 has been released!

This adds functionality for multiple scene managers and also includes paged terrain! If you look at my original post you will see a screenshot of the paged terrain in action. Grass that sways and 20,000 trees were added to the terrain while running at over 100fps. A new GM project using paged terrain has also been added to the examples.zip file which can be downloaded here:
http://gmogre3d.goog...les/Example.zip

Also, I've added two new articles: one on using multiple scene managers and split screen, and the other on animation and walking between points. All articles can be viewed from this link:
http://code.google.c.../Tutorials?tm=6

- Houdini

#51 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:15 AM

Sounds like a awesome project, Oh yeah Houdini can i have svn access.(If yes I'll pm you my gmail account)

Edited by death-droid, 06 December 2009 - 12:16 AM.

#52 Houdini

Houdini

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:01 AM

Sounds like a awesome project, Oh yeah Houdini can i have svn access.(If yes I'll pm you my gmail account)

Sure, PM me your account and I'll add you. For anyone who wants to make changes to the source PM me with a request. I just ask that you give a detailed description on any changes you check-in.

- Houdini

#53 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:12 AM

I've pmed you.
EDIT: I may attempt at getting the DX10 code from the Ogre3D svn working with the plug in :blink:

Edited by death-droid, 06 December 2009 - 01:54 AM.

#54 1dinglenuts1

1dinglenuts1

GMC Member

• 99 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:05 AM

OMG! i foung a tree system that cost $1.5k.
i thought i would love to impliment that tree thing into my games, but i saw i was compatible with orgre and i thought, well that would be a waste of money, but know i can buy it and use it!

#55 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16025 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:38 AM

i thought i would love to impliment that tree thing into my games, but i saw i was compatible with orgre and i thought, well that would be a waste of money, but know i can buy it and use it!

I think that's speedtree...

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#56 Houdini

Houdini

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:48 AM

If it IS speedtree you are talking about, 1dinglenuts1, then it may not work with OGRE. I've seen many threads on the OGRE forums asking how to get SpeedTree working. Then there is the thread below that implements SpeedTree in OGRE, but it's a commercial lib:
http://www.ogre3d.or...hilit=speedtree

- Houdini

#57 Marchal_Mig12

Marchal_Mig12

The Rhouan

• GMC Member
  • 1180 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:22 AM

Nice update! I love the paged terrain. If you could implant this new feature with houses it would be awesome.

#58 mauge

mauge

GMC Member

• 52 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:15 AM

@Houdini: I was bored yesterday, so I decided to make a logo for GMOgre. It's nothing special. I just took the free ogre-head graphic and downloaded the right font to make a logo which looks like the original one. I'd be glad if you're going to use this one for GMOgre. If you want me to change anything just let me know.

Posted Image

1. original font ("Baby Kruffy") taken from dafont.com
2. ogre head taken from wumpus @ ogre3d.org

#59 Houdini

Houdini

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:29 AM

@Houdini: I was bored yesterday, so I decided to make a logo for GMOgre. It's nothing special. I just took the free ogre-head graphic and downloaded the right font to make a logo which looks like the original one. I'd be glad if you're going to use this one for GMOgre. If you want me to change anything just let me know.

Posted Image

1. original font ("Baby Kruffy") taken from dafont.com
2. ogre head taken from wumpus @ ogre3d.org

mauge, that looks fantastic! I'll use this as the official GMOgre logo. I gave you props at the bottom of the intro post.

- Houdini

#60 mauge

mauge

GMC Member

• 52 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:59 AM

Thank you very much! Like I said, if you want any changes just let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users