458 replies to this topic

#1 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:06 PM

• Title: Zero Game Engine v3.1
  • Description: A game development engine designed to aid in the process of making 2D games quickly and easily. Aside from the main movement engines, RPG systems, state machines, and universal input systems, I have included many many useful scripts to make game programming in general much much easier in Game Maker.
  • GM Version: GM7
  • Registered: Most scripts can be easily modified to work on lite, but pro makes the engine much cooler! Btw, if you get THIS ERROR:
    ^
    Simply delete the "rpgmaker_char" script in the Zero RPG folder and rename "rpgmaker_char_gm8" to "rpgmaker_char". Remember to remove the /* */ to make the gm8 version of the script function. This gmk is for gm7 since it's hard to convert from 8 back to 7. I don't want two versions of the engine. I don't have time to write a help file. Try reading some recent posts before posting maybe? Plenty of questions are already answered in this topic very thoroughly.
  • File Type: .gmk (GM7)
  • File Size: 1 MB

Posted Image

Additional Info:

Posted Image

There are a lot games I wanted to make when I first picked up GM but I simply didn't know how. As easy as it was to put sprites on the screen and make them move, it was a lot harder to program a platform engine with many features or design an RPG game when I could barely understand how to display text on the screen, much less how to make NPCs or an inventory system. It is because of this that I decided to make this engine. No matter how long you've been programming in Game Maker, this engine will make things worlds easier on you.

Posted Image

Some Features:

- An easy to use, fully functional animated window message event system that needs only 1 script to use.
    - 2 Pixel Perfect Game Movement Engines (that include friction as well as moving slopes/slants)
    - Platform Engine includes (moving) pixel perfect jumpthough slopes/slants (and of course moving solid platforms)
    - You can make multi-level stairways with jumpthrough slopes and platforms (allowing for creative level design!)
    - Animated tile support!! (works directly from the tileset for any sized tile and does NOT use sprites)
    - Text-based inventory system (akin to Final Fantasy VII styled inventories)
    - Universal Input Event System (that includes joystick support)
    - RPG Maker style message/code event system, including an easy to use rpg styled choice system!
    - Many Drawing Scripts (such as motion blur or tiled windows with frames akin to RPG maker)
    - System for toggling the surface fix on and off (many gfx cards have tiling errors with GM games but some do not)
    - Tools for easily working with strings and other variable related things
    - Automatic camera pan/shake/zoom/rotate, dragging view w/mouse (only 1 script), and smooth view movement
    - Child objects
    - Overlay animations that attach to the parent object (can be used for armor, weapons, status effects, etc.)
    - Create Special Effect Animations with only 1 script (looping, non-looping, or destroyed at end of animation)
    - Autotiling Ability (could be reworked into tileset form, but someone else could do that)
    - Finite State Machines (can double as Fuzzy State Machines if necessary) that includes built-in argument passing.
    - Event Checking Scripts for State Machines (checks input, animation frame/end, subcycle processes, or arguments)
    - A detailed list of how GM internally processes its events (in order)
    - Movement, instances, and other collision checking scripts
    - A draw_sprite_color() script that draws sprites with an overlay color (like 50% white) that's useful for color flashing
    - Solid moving NPC's
    - NPC's that automatically walk along paths
    - NPC's that walk TO their paths (avoiding obstacles)
    - RPG Window System doubles as an RPG Event System that can execute multiple lines of code between messages
    - RPG Maker Characters can be loaded directly from RPG Maker Charsets!
    - NPC's now have the option to be talked to only from a certain direction or avoid being talked to completely
    - NPC's will push you out of the way when walking along paths
    - NPC's can move away from you mid-message (allowing them to talk to you during a path for example)
    - Action/RPG attack state example (akin to Zelda), which includes enemy knockback

- ... there's too much more to list so just check out the engine already!

This engine is opensource and, as such, I'm hoping for others to help me improve on it. If it has helped you make a system of some sort in your game, consider sharing some of your expansion here with others! If you do happen to be find any part of the Zero Engine useful in your game, I would really like to know about it!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the engine! Please feel free to tell me what you think! :whistle:

Posted Image

The Zero Engine now has over 121 functions!!!

• File Link:

Posted Image
(Note: If the download isn't working, try downloading from Host-A Direct just below the main download link)

Finite State Machines:
If you would like a detailed explanation on Finite State Machines, check out this topic:

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=460834

Help Me Help You:
If you really like the Zero Engine, why not donate (or click an ad) to help me out?

Help out the Zero Engine & MUGEN ZERO!

Edited by Ace, 14 February 2011 - 07:18 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Online Fighting & Roleplay Game

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#2 gibba

gibba

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

That was really good! 9/10! :D

#3 thescotster19

thescotster19

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 237 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:04 AM

Ace this is really really good!

Thank you. Now all we need is ladders. I will try and get eating into the comments so I know how all this works, then I will try and help you. Thanks for this.

#4 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

Ive been having trouble with jump through slopes... now you got this gem that works pretty well. Thanks a lot man.

#5 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

Again, nice expansion. Glad someone was able to make such a great modification to my engine, kudos. :P

Edited by brod, 04 December 2009 - 09:52 PM.

#6 collipop

collipop

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

I'm impressed, really nice adaption to the engine.

#7 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:37 AM

I just wanted to say thanks for the positive feedback! I spent a lot of time on this engine, and if it wasn't for Brod's versatile slope code, I probably wouldn't have ever finished it.

I've updated the engine considerably. I've finally implemented stairway jumpthrough slopes that can be layered on top of other jumpthrough blocks. The jump code is also now highly customizable and well commented.

Posted Image

Edited by Ace, 18 March 2010 - 04:23 AM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#8 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

Pretty good engine except that... is there anyway to fix this?:

Posted Image

when the player object touches two jump-through object vertically, the player just fall through. I wanted to only use more jump-throughs in game.

#9 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Posted Image

Sorry, I thought I'd already ironed that problem out. Don't worry though, I've already uploaded a fix for that. :)

Edited by Ace, 22 December 2009 - 05:45 PM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#10 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:05 AM

MAJOR UPDATE!!

Posted Image

I have completed programming of my Finite State Machine (FSM) scripts as well as added universal custom configurable input that includes both keyboard and joystick keycodes. I also fixed a couple of tiny issues and included a full tutorial on how to use Finite State Machines in conjunction with my Input scripts with simple example scripts showing how to change between states. For more info, read the overly-detailed scripts.

Also, just for kicks, I added a nice smooth view following script. Even if you're not making a platforming game, these are scripts that will make your whole time with GameMaker MUCH less irritating once you learn how to use them!

Edited by Ace, 18 March 2010 - 04:24 AM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#11 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:13 AM

Great... but Ace, I encountered almost the same problem as my previous post, but this time on the irregular slopes. try walk on the irreg slope platform from beginning to end.

Edited by teej, 24 December 2009 - 05:17 AM.

#12 MightyFoo

MightyFoo

GMC Member

• 45 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:57 AM

I get an error as soon as I load up the run the file.

ERROR in
action number 3
of Key Press Event for 2-key Key
for object objP1:

Error in code at line 1:
if (state_index = st_default){ //as long as we're in our transition state,

at position 5: Unknown variable state_index

GM7 Pro of course.

#13 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:06 AM

Great... but Ace, I encountered almost the same problem as my previous post, but this time on the irregular slopes. try walk on the irreg slope platform from beginning to end.

EDIT:
I guess I was wrong. It has something to do with the slope code I edited. I'm really very unfamiliar with it. However, you could ask Brod to take a look at it since he might be able to help. Unfortunately I could only barely understand it. Sorry about that. :)

If he does happen to be able to help, would you mind posting the fixed version?

As for the other error, if state_index isn't initialized, you're doing something wrong somehow because it's initialized in the state_machine() script automatically.

Edited by Ace, 24 December 2009 - 08:35 PM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#14 MightyFoo

MightyFoo

GMC Member

• 45 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:10 AM

As for the other error, if state_index isn't initialized, you're doing something wrong somehow because it's initialized in the state_machine() script automatically.

But didn't touched it, just downloaded and run it.

Well it must be either GM or your code being silly, second time it ran fine.

#15 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

Well, if the button event was processed before the step event executed (because you hit a key for example) it might give you that error because the button press calls on the FSM variables. You could always call the state_machine() script once in the creation event and then put it in the step event too. That will be sure to initialize the variables it needs before the input events are ever processed to avoid that error in the future.

Edited by Ace, 24 December 2009 - 10:43 PM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#16 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

Alright, I've gone and done the hard work for you guys.

Since I feel that leading by example is the best way to do things in life, here it is. A completely redone solid platforming engine with well-commented code that's bug-free and uses one script for everything.

I've decided to make this a full-on game programming engine.

What that means is that I am striving to create an engine that can make GameMaker live up to the "Easy Game Development" it touts as its motto. After all, you know as well as I do that GameMaker isn't easy at all to n00bs. However, that's because it's a collection of low-level scripts that allow you to do what you want in it. Unfortunately that also means people can't just hop in and make whatever games they want without some extensive knowledge of programming in GML. Even the so-called "experts" here have a hard time doing some things because, in the end, it still comes down to creative solutions to common problems and sometimes you want something to just work without worrying about all of the technical issues of how to make it actually DO it.

This is what the Zero Engine does.

At some point I will probably include Action RPG functionality for top down games as well as a couple of other useful base engines with the same quality and simplicity as the Zero Engine's platforming aspects.

I hope people will help me out with this engine. It serves to teach how to make games more easily as much as it helps to allow those of us more creatively inclined to do more easily what it is that we do -- just make games.

Edited by Ace, 27 December 2009 - 10:54 PM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#17 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

MAJOR UPDATE 2!!!
Alright! Since there are many new features, I'll start with the most prominent:

MOVING JUMPTHROUGH SLOPES!

I've pretty much reprogrammed the engine from scratch this time around. I figured out Brod's slope code thanks to his tutorial and simplified it a LOT. Also, I fixed the finite state machine to actually work in the way I intended it to. Moving solid and jumpthrough platforms are now automated. All you need to do is specify hsp and vsp in the creation event as well as a timer in order to allow it to reverse. I also added LOTS of useful scripts under the Zero Plus section, including handy create_animation() and flip() scripts to make programming game entities and graphical effects MUCH MUCH easier.

Finally, I've programmed a full game entity of the basic states of Megaman X, including shooting and dashing (simultaneously!) with graphical transitions and overlay effects showing just how simple a complex object like this is to program with the Zero Engine!!

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#18 Johann11

Johann11

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

Well; THANK YOU!
You did so mutch out of brodīs (not so good) platform example. Update for update you fixed a lot of things and added so much new stuff, and really good stuff.
Finally Megaman... (Iīld prefer Ichigo or so more :whistle: )...I will check this thread for other updates everyday if i can, and surely I will use your engine for my Platform Game!

Please keep your working on. :)
Really, really, good.

#19 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:36 AM

Again, very nice update with the states mechanism. I'm sure now lots of people will find it easy to port this in their games... this is becoming a complete platforming package. I really appreciate all the hard work you put in.

However, I admit my PC is old now and show signs of fps drops for next gen games, but not with most GM games... although unbelievably I'm experiencing a very large fps drop in the ZeroEngine rooms (1st room = 22 fps, 2nd room = 15 fps), in Megaman 30 room speed won't show drops but with 60 room speed it becomes 55 fps. I tried to test the old versions of the Engine but they are really fast, no fps drops at all... this one is kinda slow. Maybe try to monitor the platform checkings... especially those you updated, or maybe it something else in there.

Edited by teej, 30 December 2009 - 03:38 AM.

#20 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:34 AM

@Teej:
I just uploaded a simple optimization that increased the FPS tenfold on my compy. See if it does anything for yours. The engine could use a few more optimizations, particularly in the place_meeting checks, however it seems to be working a LOT faster for me now.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#21 sfeven

sfeven

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:38 AM

This requires pro.

ERROR in
action number 2
of Step Event
for object objP1:

In script zero_platforming:
Error in code at line 82:
else object_event_add(parSolid,ev_step,ev_step_end,"
^
at position 7: This function is only available in the Pro Edition.
Posted Image

#22 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:21 AM

Thanks, I did that to keep it simple. However, if you still want to use it, you **can** delete that object_event_add function and manually add the code it tries to add to the parSolid's END step event there yourself. Since it only calls that part one time, it isn't an issue to do it yourself. There's a parJumpthrough bit that uses the same function and you can delete that function and copy its code to the step event of the parJumpthrough object as well. It doesn't "require" pro, it just makes it easier to use. If the demand is there, I'll just add the solid/jumpthrough code event as two extra scripts for non-pro users to use. Either way, it would be much quicker and easier to just do it yourself as I explained here.

Edited by Ace, 01 January 2010 - 03:10 AM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#23 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:32 AM

Ace its still slow for me.

#24 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:08 AM

Okay, Teej. It took me a while to fix it, but it was due to a new method I was trying with my solid checking code. Go ahead and download the new version. It's speed is nearly 100% faster than it was in the previous version. Unfortunately I had to reincorporate the parMove and parMoveSolid objects as a side effect. Oh well. The speed increase was definitely worth it!

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#25 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:42 AM

Ace, there was some speed improvement... the basic platformer room shows no fps drops at all, however the multiple objects room (room speed = 60) stays around 25-30 fps when I move the objects. I compared again and I think The ZeroEngine version you made in 12/23/09 is faster... can't get a full 60 fps but at least goes around 45.

#26 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:42 AM

edit
(oh sorry, didn't know I made double post)

Edited by teej, 01 January 2010 - 06:44 AM.

#27 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, that has to do with the slope handling code. I couldn't find a way to optimize it without breaking its behavior on some level and I don't really have the patience to try messing around with it again. At most there might be seven or eight enemy type objects on the screen at once in a typical game that need to move up and down slopes but as long as they're not moving the whole time, there should be very little fps drop. I typically keep my room speed at 30 myself but if you want to use a higher one and lots of moving objects with slope code, it's best to use instance_deactivate_region() and disable the ones not in the view.

At some point I may try to find a way to optimize the slope code with a different approach. Right now though, I've had my fill with it. Making a platform engine like this is hard work!

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#28 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:49 PM

ZeroEngine is still the best platforming system I've seen and I am happy that you've worked hard for this which came up to be a one of the great examples there is. Do not over do the speed optimization for now, for what it is, ZeroEngine is already a gem and is fully functional.

#29 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:48 PM

Okay! New update to the Zero Engine!

It's not an update to the platform engine, BUT it's a much needed solution for those of us doing pixel art!!

Some of you might notice that your game looks pretty bad off on some computers. I've given a simple solution to that thanks to some scripts from 9_6 that I've optimized and made a bit more user friendly. However, before using them in your game, you might want to check out his topic to get a bit more information on how they work and what they will do for your game.

http://gmc.yoyogames...mp;hl=9_6 scale

The update is located in the Zero Image section under the Zero Plus section. It doesn't exactly make programming games easier, but it makes them look a bit less ghastly.

Edited by Ace, 04 January 2010 - 09:34 PM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#30 teej

teej

The PIXEL'er

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

Nice additions dude... ZeroEngine Plus, however, the examples don't show the other capabilities of ZeroEngine. I would love to use the create animation tools, but I already made that same mechanism in my game. Btw, over 600 downloads now.

#31 DJ Gman

DJ Gman

GMC Member

• 685 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:40 AM

is there any way you could maybe release a gm6 of this?

#32 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

I would, but I don't have GM6 anymore. However, there is a program called LateralGM that can convert between the two, if I'm not mistaken on the name.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#33 DJ Gman

DJ Gman

GMC Member

• 685 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:16 PM

Yeah i used it and fiddled around with a lot of the scripts to get it to work, basically it's just changing all those globalvars you declared into global.whatever.

#34 skeme23

skeme23

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

nice engine! REALLY nice engine! i will probably be using this engine now in place of jenners platform engine.
great work so far.

#35 gamma

gamma

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

I suggest adding comments in your scripts to say what you need to take out to make this engine lite friendly, I might've just missed them, but it would be nice to have those comments saying what yo remove, or a download for a lite-friendly version.
If you will be laughing on December 22 2012, put this in your sig.
98% of the teenage population has smoked, if you are one of the proud 2% that never will, put this in your sig.

#36 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

I suggest adding comments in your scripts to say what you need to take out to make this engine lite friendly

The only parts you'd need to remove are the object/event adding functions at the very beginning of the platforming or physics scripts during initialization and manually add those events to the objects it specifies yourself. I did this for ease of use so people could just run the script and be done. Aside from that, and of course the room changing in the Enter and Backspace keys, everything should work as intended.

The room transitions are to show off the surface fix for GM's horrible pixel scaling issues on modern graphics cards (i.e. every modern computer I've ever used, even intel integrated graphics sets) so they are not mandatory for the engine to function (unless you want your graphics to look the way they're supposed to on most computers). You'll just need to use regular room_goto_next/previous() stuff.

Edited by Ace, 07 January 2010 - 05:48 PM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#37 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:03 PM

Once again I've updated the Zero Engine! I've added a few scripts dealing with the display of collision effects such as hit sparks (i.e. Street Fighter games show exactly where a punch hits an opponent) as well as some other collision checking stuff in a new section under Zero Plus called Zero Move where any motion-related scripts will go.

As a side note, I have also added a handy little autotile script that I tidied up a ton for readability. It includes slopes, inside corners, and allows one to make all kinds of automaticly tiled levels from platform games to topdown RPG games. It's very versatile in its feature set and ease of use and so it complemented the Zero Engine perfectly.

In the next update I will include some RPG functionality such as dialogue boxes and other vital things (aside from a leveling system) and will add inventory functionality as well.

Edited by Ace, 14 January 2010 - 02:19 AM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#38 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

Well, I didn't add new features this time, but, thanks to a lot of research by people on this forum, I DID add a very detailed outline of how Game Maker internally processes its events. This should be very useful to people who are unsure of a bug in their code. Also, I did a bit more documentation on all input functions in the scripts and wrote up a detailed tutorial on Finite State Machines here:

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=460834

I am still working on the RPG portion of the engine simultaneously with the Online portion. No, the online isn't a MMORPG focused engine though it is a general purpose engine tailored for online action games. The RPG will come next and then, if you're really nice, I may release the online engine too. :D

Edited by Ace, 17 January 2010 - 07:04 AM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#39 Johann11

Johann11

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

What? Youīre releasing a RPG Engine?

Thatīs really, really, really great! I hope it will be as good as your ZeroEngine!
Please release the RPG demo (not online demo; only the RPG demo)!

Hopefully you use RM2k Charsets! :D

Edit:
PLEASE FIX THIS!!!:
I just wanted to update my game to your latest engine; but!!! Thereīs an problem with Game Maker 8 Pro!

___________________________________________ERROR inaction number 4of Create Eventfor object objP1:In script config_init:Error in code at line 29:   // Custom Controlsinput_set(ev_left,  vk_left)  // j1_left   // Leftinput_set(ev_right, vk_right) // j1_right  // Rightinput_set(ev_up,    vk_up)    // j1_up     // Upinput_set(ev_right, vk_down)  // j1_down   // Downinput_set(ev_button1, vk_space) // j1_b1 // Button1input_set(ev_button2, vk_shift) // j1_b2 // Button2input_set(ev_button3, ord('C')) // j1_b3 // Button3input_set(ev_button4, ord('K')) // j1_b4 // Button4input_set(ev_button5, ord('O')) // j1_b5 // Button5input_set(ev_button6, ord('L')) // j1_b6 // Button6input_set(ev_button7, ord('Y')) // j1_b7 // Button7input_set(ev_button8, ord('H')) // j1_b8 // Button8            ^at position 11: Unknown variable ev_left
Could you fix this please? ;) Your previous version did worked very well!

Edited by Johann11, 17 January 2010 - 11:15 AM.

#40 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

Sorry about that, I fixed it now.

Anyway, I wasn't planning on implementing RPG Maker Charsets since it was mostly supposed to be a movement engine for top-down RPG styled games, however that is a pretty good idea actually. I'll definitely consider it. After all, if you use it in conjunction with a Finite State Machine, it might actually work out pretty well.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#41 Johann11

Johann11

GMC Member

• 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Well I personally donīt like Top-Down-Engines and its games. It might be super cool: A remake of the basic RM2k engine in GM! And you are one of the best engine-makers I know; so it would be interesting seeing this remake made in your hands! :D

Also (well Iīm sorry too) I must tell you that the engine starts up in GM8 Pro; without errors or whatever; but: if I press "w", "a", "s" ot whatever, nothink ever happen... well Iīm in the "learning" process of GM (especially 8), so I donīt know what the error, and where the error is.
But Iīm hopeful youīll get it! ;)

Edited by Johann11, 17 January 2010 - 07:35 PM.

#42 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

Sorry, I thought I had it fixed. It should work now!

Well, topdown games are't the same as what I'm talking about. I'm referring to more of a Zelda or Chrono Trigger style movement engine. Not the weird rotating sprite engines you see out there. I just don't personally like the moving square to square thing in RPG Maker. However, it's event system is very nice and can easily be done with the state system I have in this engine.

Edited by Ace, 18 January 2010 - 03:16 PM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#43 Nikc-Nack

Nikc-Nack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2141 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

Cool, really weird acting. But as far as I can tell it function fine.
Indie is.ME
NNIARFAPTILMTAIK = nikc-nack is a really freakin awsome person that I love more than anyone I know
People say I use "..." too much in my post. I don't understand...
American soldiers do not fight because they hate what is in front of them, but because they love what is behind them
People sleep peaceably in thier beds at night because brave men are willing to do voilence on thier behalf. -George Orwell

#44 TheMagician

TheMagician

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

This thing is enormous and I haven't had a look at every detail yet. Great work.

However, can you give me an example of how to properly use the resize_room script to get a sharp fullscreen image?
Where do I have to put it? What values do I need to add?
Right now I place it in the create-code of a room and I always end up with a tiny small window containing only black.

Thanks in advance :)

#45 Tzunami

Tzunami

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:30 AM

Easily the best platform engine I have come across so far. There is virtually zero "clutter" or just random junk floating around in it, it is smooth and it has a number of capabillities on a script which doesn't require a ton of work everytime you want to create a different type of terrain.

Awesome job, thanks for the engine :snitch:;;

Regards, Tzunami
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

#46 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

can you give me an example of how to properly use the resize_room script to get a sharp fullscreen image?

Sure, the resize_room() script should only be executed once in order to make the first room of the game pixel perfect. After that, you need to use the new room changing commands such as next_room(320,240,2) and previous_room(320,240,2) where the 320x240 is the size of your view and the 2 there indicates how many to multiply this by to make your viewport (game window) scale up to 640x480. However, I do know that this scaling tends to make some graphics cards have a black screen or some other mess, so leave this method of scaling optional if you're using it for a real game. Game Maker does some odd things with drawing, and it always has, so keep this in mind. Also, a BIG note: DON'T use vsync in your game options with this unless you want your game to slow down considerably. It will draw things more than twice per frame. D:

Anyway, thanks for all of your comments! I'm really glad people are finding this engine useful. However, I do urge you to look at my tutorial on Finite State Machines or at least study this game engine to see how they work. They will make programming game objects infinitely easier for you once you learn what they're capable of.

Also, I am going to be implementing new features in the next version, particularly dealing with RPG-styled games. I've also added a few extra drawing scripts as well as a handy window drawing function, and plan to incorporate a full text-based inventory solution also. These are some big features so it will take a little bit of time (mostly because I am trying to get my first game to a WIP release soon while working on this).

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#47 TheMagician

TheMagician

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

Now I get it - you need to use resize_room in conjunction with next_room. However, as i understand things right now you can't scale up the room you're currently in, right?

The planned features sound great! :)

#48 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:56 AM

Well that's the reason I call the resize_room script only once. It resizes the current room, but it's only functional one time in that way. After that, you can go to the current room with a different scale factor if you want with the goto_room(room,320,240,scale) command if it's necessary to resize the room after that. Basically since all the room_goto commands are there, just use mine instead of GM's native ones.

UPDATE!!
I've updated the engine multiple times in the past few weeks. A few of the more notable features include fast/easy window drawing (RPG Maker styled windows with tileable backgrounds and borders), a complete text-based inventory system akin to final fantasy styled inventories, automatic pan/zoom/rotate/shake functions for the view, and a few drawing/movement related scripts as well as a few small updates to older ones.

Edited by Ace, 29 January 2010 - 09:47 PM.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#49 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 372 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

UPDATE TO VERSION 2!!
I've added everything necessary for full bare-bones RPG support, including a pixel-perfect movement engine with sliding along walls (think Chrono Trigger or Zelda movement) and it even supports moving solid objects (such as NPCs maybe?). However, aside from RPG's, this new movement engine can be used for many other styles of movement as well, including flying objects (such as spaceships), or simply motion in general since it also supports friction that's based around hsp/vsp values. You can even still use GM values of hspeed or vspeed temporarily to control the movements of the engine if you still want to use GM's motion functionality.

Also, there are too many new features to list here. Most everything is commented in the scripts so I suggest you take a look through them carefully. The example I posted barely shows the capabilities of even the main functions, but there are simply too many ways to use the other scripts I've provided so I will leave it up to you to find creative ways to use or modify them.

ZERO ENGINE
Posted Image

#50 Memode

Memode

GMC Member

• 61 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:08 AM

Hey, just came over here from your FSM tutorial.
I would like to have mouse input but the input features are a bit elaborate for me to follow. Where abouts could I add it in? I was thinking adding another input type (0 - joy, 1 - key, 2 - mouse). Or possibly replacing joybutton1&2 with the mouse buttons.

Do you think you could give a quick run-down of how all the input functions work with each other? I'm getting a bit lost :whistle: