#1 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

https://skydrive.liv...BF75B812942!151

The system uses paths which you create in the path editor, with the show room option set. The paths define the river banks.

The functions generate a series of models that are drawn each step, like you would an animated sprite. The functions are easy to use and the provided objects should serve as an example for your game.

1)Define you river bank paths
2)Call the functions on game start
3)Use a proper texture for the river water
4)Draw the models

Done.

F1 for help

Enjoy

UPDATE
Added lake and platform water animation!!!

You add wave generators suplying a wave form (again the wave form is a path), call many times, as you can add a few of wave generatores around and in a lake.

Then you call the MakeLake or MakePlatformWater, they will generate the animation sequence models. The waves from the varius generators will interfere. I'm prety proud of that little feat. You may have to boost the sine waves to see the interference paterns.

I also added streaming the models to files.

UPDATE
Lava Lake

UPDATE
3d Water.
I added a script to generate 3d water as well. Works Like other script, an extra argument is used to specify the height distortion (z) but the method remain the same. Also the edges are not changed so the effect on the edges does not look like a cloth fluttering in the wind.

Edited by icuurd12b42, 11 September 2013 - 07:59 PM.

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#2 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

Wow! nicely done looks great.

#3 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:44 AM

Added another script (another method). And drawing with bm_add now.

#4 Charny

Charny

Charny Games

• 443 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:43 AM

Wow, amazing script!
C# Master
Java, HTML/CSS, PHP, MySQL, Javascript, GML coder.

Posted Image Youtube Account
Posted Image Twitter Account

If you liked my posts, press on '+'.

#5 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:22 AM

WOAH! This is, truly, an amazing set of scripts! B) Good job!

2nsxog9.png

Be on the lookout for JSME v3 in the future sometime... It is coming!

#6 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

Thanks, this update will blow your mind

UPDATE
Added lake and platform water animation!!!

You add wave generators suplying a wave form (again the wave form is a path), call many times, as you can add a few of wave generatores around and in a lake.

Then you call the MakeLake or MakePlatformWater, they will generate the animation sequence models. The waves from the varius generators will interfere. I'm prety proud of that little feat.

#7 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4785 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:02 AM

Very nice effects, this should appeal to a lot of members. I had some trouble with multiple wave sources until I read this:

/* ...
if the file exists already, it will load the model, ignoring the generation parameters

so you can either let your game make the models on you user's pc or generate them yourself
on your PC and sip all the files with your game

careful when you use the feature AND you change params AND you already have model
because your changes will not be applied, yes?!
... */

I'm reposting it here for those like me who won't examine the scripts before tinkering with calls to them.
GMLscripts.com, rise from your grave!

If any of my posts contain broken images or links, I can probably supply them for you. PM with a link to the post.

#8 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

Very nice effects, this should appeal to a lot of members. I had some trouble with multiple wave sources until I read this:

/* ...
if the file exists already, it will load the model, ignoring the generation parameters

so you can either let your game make the models on you user's pc or generate them yourself
on your PC and sip all the files with your game

careful when you use the feature AND you change params AND you already have model
because your changes will not be applied, yes?!
... */

I'm reposting it here for those like me who won't examine the scripts before tinkering with calls to them.

Hehehe. Its in the help, the first screen you see, near the top. in caps... It got me a few times too.

#9 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4785 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:00 AM

Its in the help, the first screen you see, near the top. in caps

No wonder I didn't see it.
GMLscripts.com, rise from your grave!

If any of my posts contain broken images or links, I can probably supply them for you. PM with a link to the post.

#10 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

Yeah, I've been paying a lot of attention to texture based game effects these days... The river is from Dragon Age's lava river. And I'm prety sure I can make a bubling lava pool with the lake and the right combination of oscilators.

#11 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:24 AM

Find me a <few> lava texture and I'll add it in

#12 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:08 AM

Posted Image

Here's the one I used. It served me well <_<

UPDATE
Lava Lake added.

I actually missed your post. But got the a texture online just 30 minutes ago. Same place you did since yours is there too. The one I chose has a better distribution...

#13 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:24 AM

Whoa, icuurd12b42 man, that lava lake effect came out amazing :P

Like, seriously wow. It's been a while since I've been seriously impressed or inspired by a new piece of GM tech but this really takes the cake. Great job!

Thanks.

That Oscilator method is quite amazing. Though it did take me a while to get the right position and frequency to have it work realisticaly.

#14 krele

krele

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

Awesome, icuurd! This runs at 2500fps on my PC =D... It is sorta high end machine, but this is just epic!

Just a little snag, model loading doesn't work for me... Whenever I start an example again, there is no river shown...

I'm on vista, may that be a problem?

If I helped you, you can help me back :3

Brocoola

#15 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:20 PM

Awesome, icuurd! This runs at 2500fps on my PC =D... It is sorta high end machine, but this is just epic!

Just a little snag, model loading doesn't work for me... Whenever I start an example again, there is no river shown...

I'm on vista, may that be a problem?

I dont know I have Vista too. It works here. Maybe something odd about the location you unzipped the files? Odd folder name? The first run it makes and saves models (it's an option of the functions), the other runs it loads them. If it shows nothing, it knows the models exists and tried and failed to load them. That would be odd.

#16 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:03 PM

UPDATE
3d Water.

I added a script to generate 3d water as well. Works Like other script, an extra argument is used to specify the height distortion (z) but the method remain the same. Also the edges are not changed so the effect on the edges does not look like a cloth fluttering in the wind.

#17 krele

krele

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:41 AM

UPDATE
3d Water.

This is brilliant! That 3d water is awesome, especially the speed... This can't make waves on-the-fly though =/. That would compete with most commercial 3d water engines. Like, if a player falls in water, it creates bigger waves... But it's still brilliant for static water waves =D

There's a snag again >_>;
It can't reload models for me again... I just extracted it on my desktop to be sure. It shows no errors, but I found something. When running the program for first time and pressing space multilple times, it shows no river at all... But there's difference. When the river dissapears with space being pressed, the lines below stay visible (those red rectangles), but when I rerun the program to encounter the bug that shows no river at all, the lines aren't shown either...

That's as much info as I can give you =/

Brocoola

#18 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:22 AM

UNZIP to a proper folder. not the desktop. The zip creates a sub folder and the gmk saves/loads there. I suspect the folder was not created or accessed because of rights...

#19 krele

krele

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

UNZIP to a proper folder. not the desktop. The zip creates a sub folder and the gmk saves/loads there. I suspect the folder was not created or accessed because of rights...

I unzipped in a FOLDER on my desktop. I downloaded it again, and unzipped it on my D disk in a folder named "asd". To no avail =/

Plus, I'm using an admin account, and UAC is turned off...

Brocoola

#20 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

I unzipped in a FOLDER on my desktop. I downloaded it again, and unzipped it on my D disk in a folder named "asd". To no avail =/

Plus, I'm using an admin account, and UAC is turned off...

Weird. I cant fix it if I cant debug it though... I cant debug it if I dont have the problem.
1)It works the first time
2)It does not work the second time

so
1) It saved the model
2) file_exists returned true
3) No show on screen so model_load failed.

Why?

Locate the model files. are they valid? do they have model info? Open in notepad and check

#21 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

very interesting; i may use this in my game too!

it's too bad it'd be impossible to make the wave generators in the top down example react to the player or to the enemies (for instance, throw something in the water, cause a new ripple wave in it) since it'd require remaking the model used every time the wave generators change, right?

#22 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

very interesting; i may use this in my game too!

it's too bad it'd be impossible to make the wave generators in the top down example react to the player or to the enemies (for instance, throw something in the water, cause a new ripple wave in it) since it'd require remaking the model used every time the wave generators change, right?

You would have use a surface

you model affect a 20x20 area. so you copy the affected area to a surface. Say he hit the water at 400.400. You copy that part ( 400,400 to 420x420) to a 20x20 surface, get the texture from the surface and then draw the model at 400x400... That way you dont need to screw arround the uvs at run time, which would be slow

#23 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:51 AM

hi, i've a question, hopefully you'll be able to suggest something icuurd12b42,

i've been using this for my game, but loading models is quite slow, especially if they're all loaded from file at the start of the game. the water models i wound up using in my game are about 484mb (they compress to less than 20mb, but it's still slow loading that much), in 2578 files. is there any way to speed up this process (without sacrificing model detail), such as using .obj instead of .d3d somehow, and converting the .d3d to .obj, and using a dll that loads those instead? if not, that's fine, i'll just have to use fewer of them, but i like the variety i have now and it'd be nice if there were a faster way to load them.

Edited by rinkuhero, 11 April 2011 - 12:52 AM.

#24 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

Nothing loads faster than d3d files really, straight up sequential read. What is slow it the first generation process (and initial save to files if flag is passed to do it). I do hope you did grasp that aspect of it. The subsequent runs should (if the flag was passed to the do save/load frames) load the models from file rather rapidly.

You can try gmmodelfix and convert (one file) to obj then load , obj and d3d, back in gmmodelfix and compare (manually) the speeds. I'm pretty sure the d3d version will be fastest.

I think you may have too many frames in your animation set? Is that possible?

Edited by icuurd12b42, 11 April 2011 - 01:38 AM.

#25 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:03 AM

Nothing loads faster than d3d files really, straight up sequential read. What is slow it the first generation process (and initial save to files if flag is passed to do it). I do hope you did grasp that aspect of it. The subsequent runs should (if the flag was passed to the do save/load frames) load the models from file rather rapidly.

You can try gmmodelfix and convert (one file) to obj then load , obj and d3d, back in gmmodelfix and compare (manually) the speeds. I'm pretty sure the d3d version will be fastest.

I think you may have too many frames in your animation set? Is that possible?

the models are pregenerated and aren't being generated, yes. it's just that loading large amounts of data from file is slow (especially on slow hard drives); the load time is about 7-10 seconds on game startup, which feels long to me. creating them is even longer (about 3 minutes if i create all 16 at once) so it's not creating any models.

i'll try gmmodelfix to see if that works, thanks for the suggestion, i'll report the speed comparisons.

the water animation effect i want is a very subtle one, and that requires slow movement speed, and i found that having a large number of frames (about 180 each, but this varies between 128 and 256 for different model sets) gives me an effect that i like most. i tried displaying the images slower by making each one last for more than one frame instead of having more frames, but that doesn't feel as good.

#26 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:21 AM

Good. all the fact on the table... I'd like to see your effects. If it's a wave pattern like my generators make or a river effect

#27 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:04 AM

Good. all the fact on the table... I'd like to see your effects. If it's a wave pattern like my generators make or a river effect

it uses the waves (although i modified how it's displayed a bit). i'll show you the effect but since it's going to be a commercial game i'd have to pm you rather than post it here.

i tried using gmmodelfix to convert to obj, but actually the sizes are very similar. obj's are smaller than d3d's, but not by much: 173kb became 149kb, and 359kb became 333kb. the difference in load time (because load time is mainly limited by file size) wouldn't be too significant. plus, since it's not automated, i'd have to manually load and then save all 2000+ files, which would be a headache, so i decided just to keep the d3d's and to reduce the number of wave models i use in the game from 16 to something like 9. after i code this i'll send you the game in pm (should be within a few days). it also uses your starfield effect and your fmod dll, so you can see several of your creations in action.

Edited by rinkuhero, 12 April 2011 - 08:04 AM.

#28 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

I'll be looking for it...

Yeah, also the only reason obj loading in gmmodelfix is fast is because I use gmmodelex.dll which with gm7 and gmapi can make it about as fast as loading d3d.

Now I wonder if you can perform a game_save after the loading... if gm saves the model memory as well (possibly it wont because it does not do it for ds_lists), you could possibly release the save file and perform a game_load on the client pc

#29 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1919 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

i use a custom save file format rather than using game_save and game_load, so it would prevent games from being saved and loaded the normal way, but that's an interesting idea that may work for other games that use the default gm save format

i have the feeling though that my hard drive is just especially slow. i'm always the last to 'load' a game when playing starcraft 2 or league of legends (it shows the loading bars for each player next to each other when you're playing those games multiplayer). so maybe the load time would be much faster on other computers than on mine.

#30 Gamer3D

Gamer3D

Human* me = this;

• GMC Member
  • 1819 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:45 AM

Quite nice. Seemed relatively light on the processor too.
For your 3D water, I recommend investigating sphere mapping. It gives nice effects like these, uses a single texture, and can be quite fast.
I forgot you used models. Silly me.

Edited by Gamer3D, 23 April 2011 - 07:45 AM.

Fast Priority Queues - Game Maker's priority queues are O(n). Mine do everything that Game Maker's do, but in O(log n) time.
Dual-Quaternion Skinning - Modifying vertexes in GM is slow. This simple vertex shader does the job both quickly and well.

#31 Morrin

Morrin

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

It seems to have a broken link.

#32 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

It seems to have a broken link.

It's fine now

#33 blackmusic002

blackmusic002

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 76 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

broken link

#34 Braffolk

Braffolk

Lumenus Team

• GMC Member
  • 1010 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

anybody got copy of it? :S

xOVkpik.png

Custom sprite framework(GML): http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=669935

My main project ^o^ 2Volution GMC | GameJolt

#35 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

Added skydrive DL
https://skydrive.liv...BF75B812942!151

#36 blackmusic002

blackmusic002

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 76 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

still cant download.... hey can you make this as shader? :)

#37 Hirasu

Hirasu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:12 AM

Hey can you make a GM:S working version please? would be awesome!