Photo

Gravmonkey (currently At Version 2.7.0.0)

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:29 AM

Posted Image

GravMonkey is a Puzzle-Platformer. The goal of the game is to complete each level by using platforms with different gravitational pulls to your advantage. The game is in the final stages of completetion, and will be released sometime in December.

There have been major recent updates to this game. If you have not played this demo yet, or have not played the latest update (version 2.7.0.0) you NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME NOW. Many new features that change the game entirely!

Feel free to leave a positive comment and/or a rating on the games demo, but please leave your Feedback in a post on this topic thread.

Click Here To play GravMonkey Demo

Posted Image
Posted Image

Click Here for more Screenshots

Remember to press the update button to play the latest version of the game.(located on the right side of the buffering bar)

Version 2.7.0.0 (current version) updates:
-Graphics are now much smoother, and have a higher quality.
-Fixed bug in jumping achievements.
-fixed a large amount of minor bugs.
-added 7 more cloud types.
-added 11 new flower/grass types.
-added 4 new underwater grass types.
-added 5 fish types.
-Added a compass cursors to keep track of your angle.
-added a world intro story.
-new music uploaded.

Version 2.3.0.0 updates:
-Fixed jumping bug.
-Re-calibrated achievements
-fixed crown menu interface.

Version 2.0.0.0 updates:
-All major bugs fixed
-All new level designs and completely re-made levels
-Achievement system with 7 unlockable achievements
-Achievement menu now open
-1 new unlockable extra
-extras menu now open
-cursor changed to special game cursor
-Play button replaced completely by level select button
-level select menu now open with the ability to select any level you have unlocked
-All achievements, extras, and levels that you have unlocked are saved when you exit the game
and loaded when you start the game again.

Version 1.2.0.0 updates:
-Fixed some of the bugs
-Almost all levels have been fixed
-Water level re-done

Once you have finished testing the game, please leave your feedback on what you liked/didn't like about the game, as well as any bugs you find or improvements you think would benefit this game.

Edited by Osiris, 28 January 2010 - 03:07 AM.

Current Project:   acujA7dP.png

A 2D Sandbox Adventure, currently in development.  Check out the WIP here.

#2 FurinKazanNZ

FurinKazanNZ

GMC Member

• 489 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:48 AM

Alright, I finished the demo, and I liked the game, but it had lots of bugs. The water was really not working for me, I got some of the way up, then reversed and went the other way, so I was right back where I started. I got stuck on one spot where I was flying in the air, but you've taken F9 for a screenshot off, so I didn't get a picture.

#3 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:05 AM

Ok thank you for the feedback about the water.
But F9 for screenshots has not been disabled, so I am interested in seeing the bug you are talking about.

#4 FurinKazanNZ

FurinKazanNZ

GMC Member

• 489 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:31 AM

Hmm, i don't know why it didn't work then. Anyways I got the bug when I jumped over one of those red rectangles (that I assume you aren't meant to be able to jump over), because you could lodge yourself in it and jump up, and I started flying, I assume because of conflicting gravities.

#5 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:29 AM

Ok I just updated the Demo. here is what is on the update:

-All the levels except the 1st have been made a bit longer and show off a little more of that levels feature.
-The water level has been remodeled and has less bugs now.
-on all logo screens and credits, you may now press any key to skip by them
-rotating square less glitchy

Hmm, i don't know why it didn't work then. Anyways I got the bug when I jumped over one of those red rectangles (that I assume you aren't meant to be able to jump over), because you could lodge yourself in it and jump up, and I started flying, I assume because of conflicting gravities.

There is a bug with all those blocks that have to do with the gravity. Depending on the angle you are at you can either get stuck, bounce right off, or "climb" them. I am working to solve this issue but most likely they will simply be written out of the game as they are not an import core game element.

Keep giving me that feedback guys!

Edited by Osiris, 12 November 2009 - 07:04 AM.

#6 MegaByte Games

MegaByte Games

GMC Member

• 338 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

This game is awesome. I really like the sprites :lol:

It is way better than i expected it too be, so I am happy to be a part of making the sprites!
Hello

#7 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

It is way better than i expected it too be

haha what WERE you expecting?

EDIT: Also working on the next big (and final) update to the demo.

Edited by Osiris, 13 November 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#8 whitemsv

whitemsv

Dude you rock

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:57 PM

Great stuff, not a first in GM but its still a cool concept would love to see some more puzzling layouts.
One thing U should really focus on first is fixing the bugs though.

#9 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

Thanks whitemsv!

So I just uploaded the next (and most likely final) version of the demo. This is a HUGE update that gives you a taste of every aspect of what the final game will be like. This new version includeds COMPLETLY re-done levels with some really good level designs, tons of achievements to unlock, tons of extras to unlock, the ability to select any unlocked level to play, and all the menu's open for you to use. (and much much more, just check out the version 2.0.0.0 updates)

So if you have already played previous versions of the demo, you should definitely try out this vastly different and much improved version.
If you havn't played the demo yet...what are you waiting for???

Either way, this is what the final game will be like, so if you have any suggestions on what you would like me to include or get rid of before the final game comes out sometime in December, now is the time to do it!

Your feedback (good or bad) is much appreciated.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention one of the most important things: all major bugs have been eliminated. But if you see anymore let me know.

Also, I will put up a mirror soon for downloading the demo. I know a lot of you don't like having only Yoyo games as a host. But its past 3:00 AM right now and I gotta sleep.

Edited by Osiris, 14 November 2009 - 11:30 AM.

#10 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:20 PM

Ok I just added a mirror to download the demo. A note for those of you downloading the game to your desktop, be sure to make a GravMonkey file, and place the .exe in it. The game makes a few files to save your progress upon exiting, and keeping the game in a folder will put the files in there. (instead of crazy cluttered all over your desktop)

Edited by Osiris, 14 November 2009 - 10:21 PM.

#11 MegaByte Games

MegaByte Games

GMC Member

• 338 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

Oh, i was expecting it to be just a platformer. like one of those which is good but not great. This however is a masterpiece! A+
Hello

#12 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:37 PM

Oh, i was expecting it to be just a platformer. like one of those which is good but not great. This however is a masterpiece! A+

Thank you! Have you tried the newest version of the Demo? All the major bugs are fixed and we have achievements and extras to unlock. Plus all progress is saved automatically.

EDIT: I am going to quote you on that if thats alright :)

Edited by Osiris, 15 November 2009 - 11:38 PM.

#13 mrkeki

mrkeki

Oddball

• 183 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:04 AM

the main bug is that if you hold up it keeps reversing you to fix make sure that the jump/swim is key press not just key, great game tho the crown diddnt work.

#14 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:20 AM

the main bug is that if you hold up it keeps reversing you to fix make sure that the jump/swim is key press not just key, great game tho the crown diddnt work.

Thank you, I noticed the jumping bug also, and you are right I can (and will fix it)
The crown does work. But unfortunatly there is no way to see if you actually pressed the on button in the extras menu. An overlooked problem on my part.
I will release another small update fixing these problems. If anyone else noticed something let me know.

EDIT: Version 2.3.0.0 has been released and fixes all the bugs you reported mrkeki, as well as some additional achievement re-calibration.
Do to the speed in which newer versions have been coming I took down the alternate download mirror. I will put one up soon once I know a final version of the demo is out.

Edited by Osiris, 16 November 2009 - 12:48 AM.

#15 MegaByte Games

MegaByte Games

GMC Member

• 338 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:15 PM

Thank you! Have you tried the newest version of the Demo? All the major bugs are fixed and we have achievements and extras to unlock. Plus all progress is saved automatically.

EDIT: I am going to quote you on that if thats alright ;)

Oh yeh. I played it the other day. It is total awesome. Also I got an achievement for watching the credits. I was so determained to see my name in them!
Hello

#16 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:18 PM

Oh yeh. I played it the other day. It is total awesome. Also I got an achievement for watching the credits.

Yeah the great thank about the achievements is that you can get them from virtually anything. It will reward the player when they do exceptionally good, and when they are doing exceptionally bad. Again, really making it everybody's game ;)

#17 FriendofaFriend

FriendofaFriend

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:23 AM

Wow. I really REALLY enjoyed this game. It was fun, addicting, and creative. The graphics are an interesting choice. I think you could have used some variety in the music. I noticed that you had a lot of songs in the credits but I only heard 2 :/

I think you should release the full game soon. I loved it.

#18 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:33 AM

Wow. I really REALLY enjoyed this game. It was fun, addicting, and creative. The graphics are an interesting choice. I think you could have used some variety in the music. I noticed that you had a lot of songs in the credits but I only heard 2 :/

I think you should release the full game soon. I loved it.

Thank you that means a lot! About the music, the levels will be separate into different 'worlds' when the game comes out, and with each world comes a different musical theme. The games demo only has one world hence the one musical theme. (not including the main theme)
I put all the songs in the credits because even though they aren't in the final cut of the demo, they are in the game.

What do you guys think about the style? Are the graphics odd looking or do they come together really well?

#19 MegaByte Games

MegaByte Games

GMC Member

• 338 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

I hope they are good :) i spent a long time on it
Hello

#20 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:28 AM

Well of course your sprites are good. I am just wondering what peoples thought are on different aspects of the game. One being the graphics.

#21 FriendofaFriend

FriendofaFriend

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:21 AM

Just unlocked all the achievements! some of them were pretty funny. How many achievements are gonna be in the final game do you think?

#22 FriendofaFriend

FriendofaFriend

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

probably about 20-30 new achievements?

Edited by FriendofaFriend, 18 November 2009 - 09:29 PM.

#23 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:54 PM

probably about 20-30 new achievements?

What? Where do you get those numbers?
I will probably add quite a few though yes...

#24 FurinKazanNZ

FurinKazanNZ

GMC Member

• 489 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:14 AM

Found a glitch! Sprite went upside down! Pic in 10 seconds, once it's uploaded...

Here: Posted Image

Edited by FurinKazanNZ, 19 November 2009 - 06:14 AM.

#25 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:00 AM

Hmm this was a very fun game good work! Although I must comment on the very annoying music: It's not bad, it just has some annoying sounds and repeats the same thing a lot.
I like the achievements! atm I only have 3 but they are a good idea. The idea of the game is creative and somewhat original and the engine is quite well developed(did you use the 2d super mario galaxy gravity tutorial?)

Keep up the great work you have done so far on this great game!

also you might want to try to fix situations like this:
Posted Image
It also seems that the crown doesn't fit Mr. Monkey properly
Posted Image

Edited by }{dark}{, 19 November 2009 - 07:19 AM.

#26 FurinKazanNZ

FurinKazanNZ

GMC Member

• 489 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:05 AM

I got all of the acheivements ;), though before you get them it is quite hard to read what you have to do to get them. Also, at some stage, I would really like Osiris to knuckle down and try to eliminate the jumpiness while going around corners, and the getting-stuckiness when jumping around them. Also, I think it's worth mentioning that I managed a glitch which made me fly around the map until i hit those spinning razor things and died. You have some debugging to do, mate :)

#27 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys! The crown was put in at the last minute, just to show how things could be unlocked. The jumpyness has been improved and in most cases fixed, although not sure if i should put that in the demo as an update or save it for the release of the full game. Yes I did start with the mario engine, but actually went the other way with it :) as re-tooling how he reacts with the platforms.

As a flaw of the engine there are certain bugs that wont be fixed as they break the core gameplay down to much. (things such as momentarily landing on your head or other gravity flaws) I would be interested to know where you were able to fly around for a bit before dying, that kind of a glitch is more the fault of the level design then the engine.

The achievements I think are fine. The way the achievements are/will be set up allows you to unlock most of them by doing things you would already be doing, as an incentive to keep going when the game gets too challenging. The achievements you haven't unlocked are to foggy to see how to unlock them, but you can still see the name of the achievement as a hint. This was on purpose, it forces you to experience everything in the game to unlock it all. (but most extras will be given out in core gameplay achievements only, like beating a certain amount of levels)

The music seems fine to me, admittedly I chose the music by minimal memory space over actual quality. But what kind of music do you guys think more appropriate to this game?

Let me know what you guys think, and also if you think I should release an update to the demo or save it for the full game, which I plan to release in about a month.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

#28 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

Don't worry, there isn't anything majorly wrong with the music and it fits the game perfectly. I don't know why I complained about that... Although it is a tad repetitive. I think it would be better releasing the update in the demo so people can see the progress it is making

Edited by }{dark}{, 19 November 2009 - 02:14 PM.

#29 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

Well to be fair you only heard 2 out of the 13 songs that will be featured in the final game.
Ok, I agree, I think I will get the next update out sometime today.

What do you think of the graphics? Is the cartoon style working for you, or is it too unpolished?

#30 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

Well to be fair you only heard 2 out of the 13 songs that will be featured in the final game.
Ok, I agree, I think I will get the next update out sometime today.

What do you think of the graphics? Is the cartoon style working for you, or is it too unpolished?

2 of 13... I feel like im missing out.

The graphics suit the game play and style very well :) could be a tad smoother though

#31 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:36 PM

2 of 13... I feel like im missing out.
The graphics suit the game play and style very well :) could be a tad smoother though

Haha don't worry, when the full game comes out you will have all the music you want to listen to.
I am glad you like the graphics. The smoothness has already been fixed and will be part of the next update.

A couple other things not in the demo that will be in the full game are an overall story that strings the levels together, different worlds with different themes and challenges, and more from "The Artist."

Which leads to my next question, how do you like "The Artist"? A lot of his stuff in the demo was taken out, but generally he will be the narrator and helper of the story. (like the sign painter in world of goo)

#32 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

the "artist" was good everything fits together nicely! I can't wait for the full game!

#33 Revenge

Revenge

Dr. Broccoli

• GMC Member
  • 573 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:46 PM

I really enjoyed this! The only bugs I found was jst the occasional sprite rotated incorectly, but that was nothing major. This game is VERY brilliant! Wait, one thing I did find, was that I watched your whole credits and din't get the acheivement for it. That was like, a whole minute of my life! Jks, I don't know i that was a one-off or something. Just a few more crzy gravity spinning levels is all I need.

#34 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

Thank you for the praise! :)

yea that is the first time I have ever heard of someone not getting the end-credit achievement. perhaps you accidentally pressed a key?

#35 FriendofaFriend

FriendofaFriend

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:09 AM

Which leads to my next question, how do you like "The Artist"? A lot of his stuff in the demo was taken out, but generally he will be the narrator and helper of the story. (like the sign painter in world of goo)

I missed that, I will play through it again.

EDIT:
I found it, I like that a lot. Make it more of him maybe?

Edited by FriendofaFriend, 20 November 2009 - 12:10 AM.

#36 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:44 AM

Ok guys, The newest version is out.
Version 2.7.0.0!!!

This version not only fixes the graphics issue some of you have asked me to fix, (making the game look much smoother) but also adds a ton of new features, including a story introducing you to the world and its characters, new scenery, new creatures, and a compass cursor that allows you to see the angle you are at!

If you have not played this version of GravMonkey, PLAY IT. I guarantee you that if you have played before your experience will be greatly improved, and if you have not yet played, you will find out what the hype is all about!

#37 FriendofaFriend

FriendofaFriend

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

That shadow thing is freakin' awesome!

#38 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

That shadow thing is freakin' awesome!

Thanks, he is the new villain of the game.

#39 FurinKazanNZ

FurinKazanNZ

GMC Member

• 489 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

You've fixed the bugs up quite well, but those rotating blocks still don't work, I suggest you check them out for yourself.

#40 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

You've fixed the bugs up quite well, but those rotating blocks still don't work, I suggest you check them out for yourself.

Yea I know what you mean. The problem with the blocks is because due to the gravity you are always trying to move as close to the center as possible, so there is no way to stay on it, and if you go through a corner slightly you are pulled through to the other side.

I think it was a good idea, but it didn't quite work for the game. I have a different idea that I may switch out for the spinny blocks on a future update.
Other than that its pretty good?

#41 FurinKazanNZ

FurinKazanNZ

GMC Member

• 489 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:12 PM

I meant that when you stay still, the sprite doesn't rotate while the block does so it looks bad.

Yes, the rest of the game is great, bar a few odd bugs. One time I fell through a block and hit some saws on the other side, it only happened once and confused me somewhat, but GM is good like that...

#42 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:28 PM

Well either way I think the spinny blocks will be written out. But yea GM does seem to do some pretty unexplainable things sometimes. The code for regular platforms is pretty solid.

#43 FurinKazanNZ

FurinKazanNZ

GMC Member

• 489 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

Make them spinny circles instead :(

#44 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:57 PM

Haha but then they really wouldn't do anything!

#45 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:17 AM

Haha but then they really wouldn't do anything!

well you could have a texture for them or something then it would look like a spinning ball.

#46 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:48 AM

But it would still take away the challenge. Don't worry, the final game will have a ton of other types of challenges, so I think I can let go of the spinny blocks.

Do you guys think that the spinny blocks are worth keeping in despite the bugs?

#47 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:21 AM

But it would still take away the challenge. Don't worry, the final game will have a ton of other types of challenges, so I think I can let go of the spinny blocks.

Do you guys think that the spinny blocks are worth keeping in despite the bugs?

NO don't get rid of the spinning blocks! They are fun, and why would it take away challenge? There wasn't any challenge in it in the first place. They were just a neat bit of fun-ness that was fun. All the texture does is make it more apparent that they're spinning

#48 Revenge

Revenge

Dr. Broccoli

• GMC Member
  • 573 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

Gotta admit, the spinning blocks are not much of a challenge, but }{dark}{'s right, they're pretty fun to walk on. I would keep em, and I guess adding a texture would make them easier to see that they're spinning. I don't really see how it takes away the challenge, it still does pretty much the same thing. Good update BTW.

#49 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

Gotta admit, the spinning blocks are not much of a challenge, but }{dark}{'s right, they're pretty fun to walk on. I would keep em, and I guess adding a texture would make them easier to see that they're spinning. I don't really see how it takes away the challenge, it still does pretty much the same thing. Good update BTW.

haha, thanks for copying everything I said in my post :whistle:

#50 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

haha ok thanks for the feedback guys! I will keep them in and test different ways of debugging them :whistle: