• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rotten_tater

rotten_tater

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:32 AM

Fetus
Experimental Platformer by Ted Lauterbach (rotten_tater), made for GameJolt.com's Minimal Competition

Posted Image
An image from Fetus depicting the level called 'Atom Smasher'
More Screenshots
[1] [2]

Game Download (GameJolt.com)

[ Game Page ] - [ Download Page ]

Information
This was a game that I developed for Game Jolt's Minimal competition, it making minimal sense, having minimal visuals, and limited controls. I worked on it for about 4 days.

WARNING

People who are prone to seizures should play this game at their own risk, as it contains bright flashing colors that are rapidly produced on the screen.

This game contains NO harm to babies and contains NO nudity. Fetus merely contains a scene with some blood, and its atmosphere may frighten some younger children or people who've been lost in time and space.

Concept / Description

Fetus is a platformer that's based off of a dream I had, strangely enough, about a Fetus. You play as Aramas, a strangely blue character lost in a strange world where time and space cease to make sense. Aramas wants his revenge against Fetus for sending him here in the first place. If you're interested in learning a slightly more descriptive and in-depth backstory, you can look at the post I made for Fetus on GameJolt.

Gameplay Controls
Move Left. >>> Left Arrow
Move Right >>> Right Arrow
R Key..... >>> Restart Level
ESC....... >>> End Game
F4........ >>> Enter Fullscreen Mode
M......... >>> Mute/Enable Sound Effects

Menu Controls
N.. >>> Begin New Game
L.. >>> Load Game
M.. >>> Mute/Enable Sound Effects
W.. >>> Display a Border (makes it into a window so you can move it!)
F.. >>> Enter Fullscreen Mode
F4. >>> Enter Fullscreen Mode
ESC >>> End Game

Contact
If you wish to contact me, you can send me an email at ted.lauterbach@gmail.com or PM me here on the forums.
I have VERY recently created this account, but I have been a member at the GMC for some time now. My previous member identification was cool_manga_boy, but I have sense moved on from it.

As always, I welcome any comments or criticisms about the game, and I'd love to hear what you have to say!
Thanks again!

Edited by rotten_tater, 09 November 2009 - 05:59 AM.

!NEW! [ Vatn Squid ]

COMPLETE
[ Visit ] - [ VISIT 2 ] - [ Wave Shock ] - [ Mind Shock ] - [ I.C.E. ] -[ Thunder Gun ] - [ Fetus ] - [ Super Space Rogues ]
WIPS
[ suteF ] - [ Descent ]
Abandoned
[ Enigma ]

Web: Rotten Tater | FaceBook: Ted Lauterbach

#2 Pinpickle

Pinpickle

Abscure Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1353 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:46 AM

Wow, here I was thinking this game was a little too easy and then it became quite a challenge.
A great simple ambient puzzle game. I loved the ending.
Good job.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

I have VERY recently created this account, but I have been a member at the GMC for some time now. My previous member identification was cool_manga_boy, but I have sense moved on from it.

You can PM for a name change, you know. :)
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#4 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

great game, I really liked the simple yet effective graphics.
puzzles were pretty easy, I think rock garden (was it called like that?) was the hardest, all of the others were (too) easy.
anyway, cool little game you've got there. thumbs up!
Tobias

Posted Image
-Click the image for both the download & topic
Visit my homepage [Aquarel Games.tk]

#5 mutilator2084

mutilator2084

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:58 AM

Very Nice game!

10/10

#6 Homeroe

Homeroe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:25 PM

It started pretty boring, but got progressivly better as i completed the levels and managed to keep me interested until the very end (Holy c**** that fetus).

It was a very good game, i loved the graphic style. 8.5/10
My games:

#7 MetroidMan347

MetroidMan347

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 837 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:36 AM

9.9/10

If you add a few more levels it will me magnificent.

#8 manofdoom

manofdoom

Goes well with gravy

• 62 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

Awesome game, really atmospheric. Love the pixel art too, and the overall idea of the game, as well as the way it still doesn't make any sense even after reading the description.
Completed Projects:
Cave Full of Spiders Trapped By The Dead Asteroid Storm H0MER SALOONS OF DEATH
One Night In The Cave ZSLASH

Man of Doom's Game Design Dungeon-Online Portolio
Visit if you want to keep track of anything I'm up to.
Fan of Doom
Boost my ego to epic proportions!
Visit My GameJolt profile!

Currently working on a wide variety of projects, none of which have any definitive completion date.

#9 firstcalamity

firstcalamity

GMC Member

• 38 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

This is by far one of my favorite Game Maker games. The sounds, artwork and atmosphere creates an ambient horror feel. Honestly great job creating atmosphere, if you make a "Fetus: Special Edition" you should try to add more gameplay elements, and some more levels.

#10 wally2069

wally2069

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

I played through the game. I found the environment to be very tense and almost survival horror in nature. I think the puzzles are clever require neat solutions. I hope there is enough potential for a sequel.

#11 Insanoflex

Insanoflex

GMC Member

• 86 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:36 PM

I enjoyed playing this game. I am not a big fan of puzzle games, but this one kept me playing til the very end. Some of the levels, especially at the beginning, were alittle easy, I honestly think that there were too many tutorial levels, compared to the number of actual levels. But still, a good little game here.

#12 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:04 AM

Great little game!

Graphics were nice and retro. Sounds were fantastic and added alot to the atmosphere of the game. controls were spot on. Without the ability to move while in the air, it makes it that more challenging to think ahead and make sure you were doing the right things. Puzzles themselves were rather challenging, and must say, insanely creative. The ending was great as well.

Overall, an extremely polished little game that should get much more attention. Great work.

9/10

Also, I am not the biggest fan of puzzle plaformers, but this one put me into a trance. Once I started, I needed to finish it. That, my friend, is one hell of a thing to have as a game developer.

Edited by Alex Muncatchy, 08 December 2009 - 04:07 AM.

I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.
game 4 years in the making.

#13 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:38 AM

the name made me click this link. lol.
everything in this game was balanced and went with everything else. the puzzles were tricky. it was too hard to try and think ahead, but i realized i didn't need to think too much, i would just make a left or right move, then another, always based on my current position. so then, the game got mad easy. good level design. needs some background music other than the music at the end.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#14 Alex Muncatchy

Alex Muncatchy

GMC Member

• 1168 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

bump.
I'm not dead.
Releasing demo soon-ish.
game 4 years in the making.