#1 Alexitrón

Alexitrón

GMC Member

• 114 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:04 AM

UPDATED to fix a very touchy collision issue between player and hole :
http://www.weebly.co...eon_updated.zip

Posted Image

You are in a dungeon and you don't know why . GET OUT ! .
The goal of the game is very simple , there are 21 rooms that you can go to in no particular order . There is a crystal in every room that you most collect , collect all 21 to activate an elevator that will (maybe) take you out of the dungeon .
This is a platformer but you can actually walk around in all 4 directions . There is no enemies , just walking , jumping and collecting crystals . Sound but no music.

My Game Jolt's Minimal Competition entry.

Features minimal story : just one line at the beginning and one at the end .
Minimal controls : arrow keys and SPACE .
Minimal gameplay ? : just walk and jump .
Minimal overall : Yeah ! Minimal !

Play at YoYo :
http://www.yoyogames...mes/show/102500

Thank you Poppens for your help . You got credited ! :-*

Edited by Alexitrón, 10 November 2009 - 12:18 AM.

#2 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:00 AM

I like the simple design, well done.

I always loved those topdown games where you can jump. Reminds me of Startropic of Zelda's feather.

#3 snowyowl

snowyowl

GMC Member

• 615 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:01 PM

Excellent game. I like the gameplay (how few objects there are in the game), and what storyline there is is great. The theme was well implemented, although I'm not sure if the graphics are THAT minimal... I'd be delighted if I could do graphics that good :)

Anyway, full marks, and to anyone who claims it's not a platform game: it doesn't matter, it's great.
Posted Image
Fight time travellers. Kill them three times each.

#4 Kay-P

Kay-P

GMC Member

• 203 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:37 PM

Yeah this game is very good. The controls were a little hard to grasp at first, but it wasn't really a problem.
Good level design, great game.

#5 Human Road

Human Road

GMC Member

• 109 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:58 PM

Played it at gamejolt and finished it. Nice game, gets annoying at some places. Looks like I got no chance to win :)
Good luck in the compo.

#6 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

i like it, completed the whole thing lol, very nice,

[EDIT: massive sig removed]

#7 Alexitrón

Alexitrón

GMC Member

• 114 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:49 PM

Thank you people for this whole bunch of awesome feedback . Up to now the major complain I'm getting is that the collision with the holes is a bit touchy , and it is . Also it was meant to have 25 rooms instead of 21 but I had to cut 4 out last night when I was told I only had like 3 or so hours left to finish opposed to a day and some hours like I was thinking . One last thing , I never said he graphics were minimal but I'm glad that you like them as they are .
And one absolutely last thing , I do not remember Star Tropics ( I do know the game ) but I do remember that feather from Zelda's Links awakening . That is my favorite Zelda game , I beat it like so many times and I could actually play trough the whole thing in one sitting getting absolutely every Item . I loved my Game Boy , good times . Can't wait for VGBX to be launched (from the creators of VNES ) .

Edited by Alexitrón, 08 November 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#8 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

was wondering could you make an example of this, as in save room wise, and the jumping etc, would reli like to look at the code etc.

#9 Alexitrón

Alexitrón

GMC Member

• 114 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

What do you mean by save room? like the crystal stays taken after you take it and exit the room ?

#10 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

well yea, like you changed the room (taken crystal) and it remains taken even when you go back, plus i like the way you go from one room to the next.

#11 PuffballProductions

PuffballProductions

GMC Member

• 616 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

this game owns, tell you more after i beat it
its very fun, but maybe in a sequel or something add different stuff other than moving plats and those blocks in air

Edited by PuffballProductions, 08 November 2009 - 07:03 PM.

#12 RowanFN

RowanFN

Mr. Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1485 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

sequal would be good, and i like the ending but after doing the whole game, i found it a bit, WHAT!? so maybe something that leads to the sequal or something, or an unlockable?

#13 Alexitrón

Alexitrón

GMC Member

• 114 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:18 AM

I may release the source later so you can see how its done . But is not too hard , is all about variables .
The game does hints to a sequel since the player don't make it out of the dungeon but only gets to another floor . I may or may not make a sequel . I know the game is limited in functionality but the theme of the competition was MINIMAL so I had o keep it as minimal as possible .

Thanks for playing people , very appreciated .

#14 Homeroe

Homeroe

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:39 PM

Wow, that was refreshing to play. Simple yet fun plataforming game. It remembers me so much of the feather in Links awakening.

Easily 8/10

(Wheres my sequel :lol:)
My games:

#15 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

Pretty nice :)

You always make nicely playing & "polished" feeling games.

I like the simplicity of this (even tho it is just like a cut down Zelda LA)...
I think one of the things holding it back is that the character size feels a bit small...
& more importantly, there is very little contrast between the floor & the walls (it would better if the floor was light & the walls were dark or the opposite, or even just sontratsing colors) the colors/tones used currently are much too similar & dull.

Nice work overall ;)

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#16 Alexitrón

Alexitrón

GMC Member

• 114 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

Man , I thought I made a good contrast with the floors and wall . I mean , the walls are green and the floor is kinda blue . The character is 16x16 , everything else is 12x12 (with the obvious exceptions ) . Anyways dude , I am glad that you enjoyed his minimal game . And thanks for playing everyone !

#17 AuthenticKaizen

AuthenticKaizen

GMC Member

• 140 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

great to see a new game by you, alexitron!
and it is a fun little game with good controls as i expected it already when i first saw the screenshots :)

...since the engine is really nice im curious if there are any plans for some kind of zelda game in the future?

#18 Alexitrón

Alexitrón

GMC Member

• 114 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

It's been a while and I only could do this mini game but O well , at least people like it .

...since the engine is really nice im curious if there are any plans for some kind of zelda game in the future?

I doodled that shortly after releasing this game .
Posted Image

Looks like we thought the same thing . Then I started thinking that I needed to finish a full length game before the year ended and went back to Across the Lake and started messing with it again . I wanna make another adventure game , those are the games I really like it just takes so much time and effort . I'll come up with something .

Thanks for playing !

#19 AuthenticKaizen

AuthenticKaizen

GMC Member

• 140 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

thats awesome!
both the map and a possible top down action adventure plus the fact that you maybe continue to work on across the lake.
if time permits those projects would surely be really worthwhile games! :(

#20 izacht13

izacht13

GMC Member

• 11 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Posted Image

You are in a dungeon and you don't know why . GET OUT ! .
The goal of the game is very simple , there are 21 rooms that you can go to in no particular order . There is a crystal in every room that you most collect , collect all 21 to activate an elevator that will (maybe) take you out of the dungeon .
This is a platformer but you can actually walk around in all 4 directions . There is no enemies , just walking , jumping and collecting crystals . Sound but no music.

My Game Jolt's Minimal Competition entry.

Features minimal story : just one line at the beginning and one at the end .
Minimal controls : arrow keys and SPACE .
Minimal gameplay ? : just walk and jump .
Minimal overall : Yeah ! Minimal !

Play at YoYo :
http://www.yoyogames...mes/show/102500

Thank you Poppens for your help . You got credited ! :-*

I was wondering if you could give me the source... I want to make it multiplier... I wont post it

Edited by izacht13, 10 August 2012 - 05:53 PM.