• 161 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

Umbrella Adventure - The Castle of Cake
v1.20 - 09.01.2010

Posted Image

Trailer - YouTube

Download (48.6Mb .ZIP)

Yes, it's big. Huge. But it's huge on the inside too, so please be patient.

As part of HiVE, I bring you Umbrella Adventure - The Castle of Cake; another far-too-long project. Runs in windowed and scaled/unscaled fullscreen modes. Has several graphics options for older machines including reduced framerate and particle effects. Joystick/gamepad-compatible.

Features:
  • Expansive, hand-drawn game world
  • Real-time lighting effects
  • Over 100 cakes to find and collect
  • Immersive weather effects and day/night system
  • Deep soundscapes; crashing thunder and howling wind
  • Bees, ducks and a weasel
Enjoy.

Edited by Srehpog, 09 January 2010 - 07:50 PM.

#2 voltain

voltain

V.C.G

• GMC Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

I must say this is impressive! I've only played a little way into it but I can see you have put your heart and soul into this game. Well Done!

#3 Andy

Andy

GMC Veteran

• GMC Member
  • 1988 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:08 AM

This game is truly fantastic work! The graphics are very original, the style feels good. The sounds are of a good quality also. What really gets me into this game is that it truly has an adventure feel reminiscent of Banjo Kazooie and platform games of old. You get to experience the challenge of learning new skills instead of starting with everything. That element of the game adds significantly to the replay factor. The characters also have soul and are not generic. I think the game’s size will keep some from trying this gem out, if you are a person turned away by the size don’t miss out! This game is worth your download, makes some coffee, wait for it. :)

Please visit my website, Andygames.com today!

#4 od man games

od man games

GMC Member

• 43 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:35 AM

Awesome,
After playing and beating ark 22,
I heard of your next project umbrella adventure.
I then waited 2 years for this game to come out!
Good job!!!!

#5 PSC159

PSC159

GMC Member

• 1207 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

Woah! I haven't played the game yet (still downloading ;( ) but the graphics are killer.
*The Unknown Ninja* - Graphics
MovieCrystalProductions -> Click it!

#6 scoz

scoz

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:12 AM

* squeals with the joy of a tiny school girl*

Oh, I was ALMOST beginning to think this was vapourware... after the masterpiece that was Waxy's Sushi Party I can't wait to play this...

...but I still have 2 more exams.... MUST. FIGHT. TEMPTATION
EGE: Yoyo | GMC | Roket | Game Jolt

#7 Lexsonn

Lexsonn

Bishop

• 391 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:31 AM

This looks simply amazing! but at your site, for some reason I can't download it xD

If i were to judge it from a graphics standpoint though... this would get a 10/10
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre.

#8 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:39 PM

Update: v1.1

Posted Image

Download v1.1 - 21.11.2009

Fixes:
  • Fixed error with map highlight icon in eastern Forest
  • Improved hard wall-jump in Beehive
  • Improved stinging plants jump in Beehive
  • Fixed bypass/exploit path between Forest and Castle Walls
  • Fixed bypass/exploit in Clockwork Garden from Castle Walls west
  • Fixed bug with cake "Snicker snack"

I must say this is impressive! I've only played a little way into it but I can see you have put your heart and soul into this game. Well Done!

This game is truly fantastic work! The graphics are very original, the style feels good.

Good job!!!!

Thanks all - glad you're enjoying it.

This looks simply amazing! but at your site, for some reason I can't download it xD

Do you get a server error message or anything else? I can mirror it somewhere if you'd prefer.

Coming soon: A new gameplay trailer, poster art and possibly a cake guide. Stay tuned!

Edited by Srehpog, 21 November 2009 - 04:40 PM.

#9 Lexsonn

Lexsonn

Bishop

• 391 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

No error messages appear, and maybe I'm clicking the wrong download button (I only see one though :P)? but no download box appears xD

I also tried clicking the big hexagon arrow button, which didn't do anyhting this time around :whistle:

this honestly reminds me of Banjo Kazooie, especially the way the duck talks (everyone in banjo kazooie made some odd grunt when they talked)... and the the way you learn skills. I honestly think that is really cool.

Edited by Lexsonn, 21 November 2009 - 04:57 PM.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

#10 od man games

od man games

GMC Member

• 43 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:25 PM

Would you care to release the soundtrack? My favorite is the beehive theme!!! I tried to open the .fsb file, but it is encrypted. :whistle:
I love the game so far it takes a lot of skill to play, yet at the same time maintains a slow calm feel. At first I found the game a little bland (do to lack of over world music) but I found that the style grew on me... This game is amazing!!! Thanks for next version!!!
:P :D :huh:

#11 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

Where is the download button? I went to the page, and I can't find it.

#12 od man games

od man games

GMC Member

• 43 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

The download doesn't work!!! :whistle:

#13 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:22 PM

Sorry folks, the download button was left locked from the updating process and wasn't changed back. All fixed now!

http://www.wearehive..._id=ua_download

(The big green arrow)

Would you care to release the soundtrack? My favorite is the beehive theme!!! I tried to open the .fsb file, but it is encrypted. :whistle:

I'm not sure - one of the conditions of us using the music was that we made sure it wasn't distributed freely with the game, i.e. protected it in some way. I agree, it's a really nice theme, but I don't think I'm at liberty to give it away outside the game, I'm afraid. I'll ask and see...

Edited by Srehpog, 21 November 2009 - 09:28 PM.

#14 od man games

od man games

GMC Member

• 43 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:03 AM

Would you care to release the soundtrack? My favorite is the beehive theme!!! I tried to open the .fsb file, but it is encrypted. :(

I'm not sure - one of the conditions of us using the music was that we made sure it wasn't distributed freely with the game, i.e. protected it in some way. I agree, it's a really nice theme, but I don't think I'm at liberty to give it away outside the game, I'm afraid. I'll ask and see...

Fair enough... Thank you for asking though, I really appreciate it!
:D :P :P

PS:Bismark is awesome...
"Oh yah... Don't ring the bell"

Edited by od man games, 22 November 2009 - 02:11 AM.

#15 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

I keep getting "Error defining external function" for object sxms, but both DLLS are in exactly the same place they were when i downloaded the file and i haven't changed anything :/

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#16 Lexsonn

Lexsonn

Bishop

• 391 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hey I finally got to play it ^^

Two words:
loved it.

Especially Bismark ::lmao::

#17 bluedragon13123

bluedragon13123

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:23 AM

This game was great!!! The gameplay was nice and smooth. You don't see many hand-drawn games now adays, except for that machinarium. I loved all the cool things like the ducks and stuff. I have gotta say this is by far one of the best game maker games I have seen in the longest time. Keep up the good work with your games =)

B.T.W, I believe that this game has the potential to be put up on the XBox Arcade and PSN.

I give it a 10/10

~bluedragon13123

#18 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

I keep getting "Error defining external function" for object sxms, but both DLLS are in exactly the same place they were when i downloaded the file and i haven't changed anything :/

Not the first time I've heard of this, but I'm not sure there's anything which can be done about it, unfortunately. I'll ask around and see what the response is.

Hey I finally got to play it ^^

Two words:
loved it.

Especially Bismark :whistle:

This game was great!!! The gameplay was nice and smooth. You don't see many hand-drawn games now adays, except for that machinarium. I loved all the cool things like the ducks and stuff. I have gotta say this is by far one of the best game maker games I have seen in the longest time. Keep up the good work with your games =)

B.T.W, I believe that this game has the potential to be put up on the XBox Arcade and PSN.

I give it a 10/10

~bluedragon13123

Thanks, glad you both liked it.

Edited by Srehpog, 28 November 2009 - 11:07 AM.

#19 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:55 AM

Bah shame, it looks like a cool game. I'll keep the file and check back to see if there'sa solution :whistle:

#20 hpapillon

hpapillon

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3020 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 November 2009 - 12:56 AM

I'm having the DLL problem as well, unfortunately...
Yes, making games is my day job.
Anime Games
Gaming blog

#21 CRG

CRG

GMC Member

• 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:51 AM

I just play it. Very nice graphics and effects. Like the sound and the story has some nice humor. Good work.

#22 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

Bah shame, it looks like a cool game. I'll keep the file and check back to see if there'sa solution :)

I'm having the DLL problem as well, unfortunately...

Can you both let me know your system specs, operating systems and UAC settings if running Vista/Windows7? If there's something common, it might help identify the fault - unfortunately as you know "Error defining..." could be pretty much anything. Are you running the game from an administrator or limited account? Have you tried running the .exe in compatibility mode for an older OS? I've tested it on a Windows 7 machine with all different UAC settings and it works fine, but it might provide a clue...

Edited by Srehpog, 29 November 2009 - 11:31 AM.

#23 hpapillon

hpapillon

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3020 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

XP service pack 3 with an athlon dual core processor and 1.9 GB of RAM

I've had to install a lot of crap lately involving XNA and visual C++ and all sorts of things, I don't know if that would screw up DLLs in any way. My own games with DLLs work but I use a different set of sound DLLs. If you point me at another game using the same setup I can see if I have the same problem.

Compatibility mode doesn't help either.

Edited by hpapillon, 29 November 2009 - 02:22 PM.

Anime Games
Gaming blog

#24 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 6565 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

I have a standard and an administrator account on my Vista laptop, and SXMS fails to start only in the standard account. This issue also occurs on Waxy's Sushi Party and Waxy's Rocket Party, in which case the game simply freezes. Perhaps account controls are to blame.

I'll post my review later when more people have access to this game. Don't mind the size, it's worth your download.

GameGeisha

PS: 35 more cakes to go. And how exactly do those "cake rails" work?
Latest Releases:
  • GMLinear --- Matrix and vector math in one line!
  • GMAssert --- Debug invalid values and write quick unit tests with ease!
  • KameGMS --- Bring up TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit dialogs from within the GMS IDE!
  • JSOnion v1.1 --- The stink-free way to handle JSON! (even deeply nested ones)

#25 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 02:29 PM

XP service pack 3 with an athlon dual core processor and 1.9 GB of RAM

I've had to install a lot of crap lately involving XNA and visual C++ and all sorts of things, I don't know if that would screw up DLLs in any way. My own games with DLLs work but I use a different set of sound DLLs. If you point me at another game using the same setup I can see if I have the same problem.

I've updated the download to use the very latest version of SXMS, and removed references to working_directory which I read could cause some path errors. If that doesn't work, I'm really not sure. My other games still use the older version of SXMS, so Sushi would be the one to try to replicate the error. I've sent some PMs about to gather information.

For reference, this build works on my XP SP3 machine from an administrator account, and my Windows 7 machine, admin, with UAC on and off. I've never been able to replicate this error - obviously I wouldn't intentionally ship a game which won't start up...

I have a standard and an administrator account on my Vista laptop, and SXMS fails to start only in the standard account. This issue also occurs on Waxy's Sushi Party and Waxy's Rocket Party, in which case the game simply freezes. Perhaps account controls are to blame.

Thanks - if we can work out what works and what doesn't I can put up a notice on the website and clear things up once and for all.

PS: 35 more cakes to go. And how exactly do those "cake rails" work?

Use the arrow keys to direct the cannon as you travel. Reveal all the cake faces to get a cake. :)

Edited by Srehpog, 29 November 2009 - 02:41 PM.

#26 Manover

Manover

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

This game isn't really all that good...

Nice try for like a first game or whatever... (if it even is your first...)

The graphics didn't look good at all or anything...

The gameplay and story kinda didn't do much...

2/10

In my opinion, this will never be better than Zelda and will never be the best GM game...

PS... can you remove this line. I thought this was a kid-friendly website...

Yes, it's big. Huge. But it's huge on the inside too, so please be patient.

Edited by Manover, 29 November 2009 - 03:32 PM.

#27 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hi, Overman.

#28 Manover

Manover

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:53 PM

Stop playing mind-games! I WILL DEFEAT YOU, SREHPOG

#29 hpapillon

hpapillon

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3020 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:23 PM

Okay, yes, it will run - in the administrator account that I don't think I've ever logged in on this machine before. :(

*grumbles*
Anime Games
Gaming blog

#30 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:05 PM

Great - is that the new version or the old? It may be the solution comes from something which was changed today; if you are running the latest version, can you give the old one a try to see if it still has problems? Hope you like the game. :(

#31 The Chozoen one

The Chozoen one

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:28 AM

I highly approve of this game. I first heard about it at least a year ago, and have been looking forward to it since.
It really reminded me of the Donkey Kong Country games for the SNES. Maybe it was all the giant bees.

The graphics were great, needless to say. They looked even better in motion, especially the little touches like the moving tree branches.
The ambient sound and music were awesome as well.
The gameplay was enjoyable. It did get a bit frustrating at times, trying to figure out where to go, but I guess all free-roaming type games need that aspect, don't they?

All in all, It was one of the most professional Game Maker games I've played, up there with greats like Snailfox's 65 Million Years BC. Keep up the good work!

By the way, my brother beat it in a day. I totally should've seen that ending coming, if Ark22 taught me anything! :(

#32 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:49 PM

I'm running Vista, In administration mode, don't know much about the Specs of my PC, but SXMS usually works fine on it. I'm downloading the new version you put up and I'll edit with the result.

EDIT: Downloaded, It failed again - even in Administrator mode, compatibility mode and both at the same time.

Edited by wormintheworks, 01 December 2009 - 05:59 PM.

#33 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:48 PM

I highly approve of this game. I first heard about it at least a year ago, and have been looking forward to it since.
It really reminded me of the Donkey Kong Country games for the SNES. Maybe it was all the giant bees.

By the way, my brother beat it in a day. I totally should've seen that ending coming, if Ark22 taught me anything! ^_^

Good. Glad you liked it. :D

I'm running Vista, In administration mode, don't know much about the Specs of my PC, but SXMS usually works fine on it. I'm downloading the new version you put up and I'll edit with the result.

EDIT: Downloaded, It failed again - even in Administrator mode, compatibility mode and both at the same time.

Thanks, I'll keep looking. It's definitely a DLL issue; the only question is whether or not it's something we can fix at this end.

#34 MightyFoo

MightyFoo

GMC Member

• 45 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

Awesome game sreh:

Love the old style platform type genre.

I wonder if there will be a colour version ?

#35 twentyenginerunner

twentyenginerunner

GMC Member

• 110 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:06 PM

Very nice. I always liked Ark22, and this game shows a similarly high level of polish. I'm kind of a fan of these exploration games that throw you into a lush world with little direction. The graphics to me create an ambiance not unlike Super Metroid (which, although containing color, had a similar "drab" tone, for lack of a better word). I quite like the grayscale graphics, actually. Your humor/writing reminds me a little of some games by Rare.

Good luck in IGF.

By the way, I got stuck in the wall in the last room to the right of the Well when trying to jump from the water (the room with all the large flower platforms). That's the only glitch I've run across so far.

Posted Image

#36 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

Awesome game sreh:
Love the old style platform type genre.
I wonder if there will be a colour version ?

Hahaha - NO. :P

Very nice. I always liked Ark22, and this game shows a similarly high level of polish. I'm kind of a fan of these exploration games that throw you into a lush world with little direction. The graphics to me create an ambiance not unlike Super Metroid (which, although containing color, had a similar "drab" tone, for lack of a better word). I quite like the grayscale graphics, actually. Your humor/writing reminds me a little of some games by Rare.

Good luck in IGF.

By the way, I got stuck in the wall in the last room to the right of the Well when trying to jump from the water (the room with all the large flower platforms). That's the only glitch I've run across so far.

Thanks - glad you liked it. Can you replicate that glitch and include a screenshot? I have a fair idea of where it is roughly but it would help to see it exactly.

#37 usualuser

usualuser

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

BEST GAME MAKER GAME! Really professional game.
You'll win all stupid GM competitions.

Searching bugs:not work map menu,not work some control buttons.(Windows XP PRO 32bit)
(I don't understand how to jump and brolly)

#38 twentyenginerunner

twentyenginerunner

GMC Member

• 110 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:08 PM

Can you replicate that glitch and include a screenshot?

Here you go. It is actually fairly difficult to replicate (I had to jump at the wall for a few minutes in various different ways before he got stuck). Once immobile the gopher stays in the "landing in water" sprite. I can't remember if it was the case in the first instance, but this time I got stuck as the framerate took a brief dip. Doubt if that makes a difference, but worth noting just in case.

Posted Image

Edited by twentyenginerunner, 28 December 2009 - 08:13 PM.

Posted Image

#39 Kokokookos

Kokokookos

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:03 AM

Hi Srehpog! (Yay! My first post on GMC! :) Sorry that I didn't post anything earlier though...)
I completed the story, but I still am having fun getting my nerves blown while trying to get a sense of those twisty rails... :o And nice secret places too! I never thought that some places had hidden platforms under!
By the way, now that I've completed it, when I start from Gopher's house I see a (!) mark at the beach. Is it supposed to be so? I feel that there is something still not unravelled from the beach.

I also found a glitch: At the level where Gopher jumped off the rocket launched from the garden, when I ride on the rocket plant going from the "egg" to the tower level, quite often Gopher falls from the flying plant down "posed" horizontally and lands so that he lies down. When he moves he "runs lying down" and "stands up" only when I jump down to the rocket plant level. It happens just about Gopher leaving the view. It also seems to matter that from where do I grab the rocket plant to trigger the glitch.

No offence: What is the idea of having the Ark 22 banner as your signature?

* Dramatic exit! Wheeww... Pong!

Edited by Kokokookos, 29 December 2009 - 08:05 AM.

#40 usualuser

usualuser

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:05 PM

I turned off gamepad and game works properly.
(problem with gamepad)

#41 usualuser

usualuser

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

can hero beat big spider in the mill?

#42 scoz

scoz

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:33 AM

I've finally found the time to play this, but alas, it uses SXMS; a DLL that outright refuses to work for some hardware configurations, me included. Until I can find another computer, I'm afraid this has to go into the "refuses to load pile", along with Runman :whistle:
EGE: Yoyo | GMC | Roket | Game Jolt

#43 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

Can you replicate that glitch and include a screenshot?

Here you go. It is actually fairly difficult to replicate (I had to jump at the wall for a few minutes in various different ways before he got stuck). Once immobile the gopher stays in the "landing in water" sprite.

Thanks - I'll move the wall a bit, should fix it.

I also found a glitch: At the level where Gopher jumped off the rocket launched from the garden, when I ride on the rocket plant going from the "egg" to the tower level, quite often Gopher falls from the flying plant down "posed" horizontally and lands so that he lies down.

Will fix this, thanks.

I turned off gamepad and game works properly.
(problem with gamepad)

Problem with gamepad? What was wrong, anything I can fix? Certain gamepads have a tilt control or static 'throttle' which might not be zeroed when you play, so if you have the 'use POV' option on it might be reading from a different input on your gamepad. You could try turning just the POV off and see if it still works at all.

can hero beat big spider in the mill?

No - your victory is escaping with your life and as much cake as you can grab on the way.

I've finally found the time to play this, but alas, it uses SXMS; a DLL that outright refuses to work for some hardware configurations, me included. Until I can find another computer, I'm afraid this has to go into the "refuses to load pile", along with Runman :wacko:

That's a shame, especially about Runman. :) I guess there isn't anything either of us can do. Do you have any idea what aspect(s) of your hardware configuration cause this? I'm guessing not... gaah, DLLs.

#44 Razon

Razon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

The game is very well done, nice and long and vast. It could be a whole nother experience if it was in color, have you ever tried basic coloring a screenshot to get an idea of what it would look like?

Glitch reports.

1: Got stuck in the first rock puzzle room with the 3 rocks, pushed the bottom one over to the right too much and jumped over the rock and into the ditch- and I couldn't jump out and the enemies couldn't reach me.

2: Color left in - Link 1, 2, 3, 4

3: Jumped to and from shown position - Link

4: Hit the barrel to and from - Link

5: In the room where you use the unicycle bear to get the cake, if you use the umbrella slide on the pre-top platform and have enough speed- then you'll fall through the final string instead of moving onto it - Link

6: Jumped on the the new fly that was coming in while he was still against the wall - Link

7: Went and stayed in wall while swinging, could get out though - Link

You should add a way to turn the gamepad controls off too, I have bluesoleil with a wii-mote configuration on file which causes the left joystick button to constantly be held down- wether POV is on or not. And bluesoleil causes FPS issues(slowdowns) with all versions of GM, depeding upon wether it's turned on or off and depending what has an entry. And if it's unplugged or not and wether it's connected and etc, and when it's set to not cause GM any slowdowns the left joystick button is stuck down then. Mix bluesoleil and teamviewer together and I've seen a 30 FPS limit get thrown in with certain versions of GM, and with heavy processor usage.

And I'm not sure if it's because you use the freeze game when the window isn't selected or because you have joystick use on, but sometimes there's major strain put on your game because of bluesoleil which causes it to run at a few FPS with max cpu usage after I switch back and forth between windows sometimes. To fix this, I have to turn bluesoleil back on and select your game- wait until it starts running at a decent FPS and turn it back off again. Too much trouble too uninstall bluesoleil, and it's the only driver that's compatible on XP with a wii-mote.

Edited by Razon, 09 January 2010 - 06:40 PM.

#45 GearGOD

GearGOD

Deus Verus

• GMC Member
  • 2153 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:19 AM

Hm. Very nice art style attracted me to try this game but I was disappointed.

Uneventful intro that made me mash the button to skip dialogue. Did not draw me in at all. A voiceover or opening sequence will do wonders here.

Annoying/incomplete mechanics. Swinging ropes were an absolute pain to grab on to, trying to jump off an edge with a run-up like I'm used to doing from other platformers, just resulted in the jump not registering and me falling off. Combat consists of standing still and spamming the attack button.

Lots of cake pieces were positioned in seemingly impossible to reach places. If I'm supposed to come back to them after I get some new ability, there should be some hint of that, like ye old unbreakable rocks in rpg games.

The dark silent rainy atmosphere is excellent for a mysterious exploration game. But collecting cake? Sounds like you just gave up on a well-started concept and quickly 'finished it off'.
Engineers are not programmers. Stop thinking that you can save a few bucks by writing code yourself instead of hiring a programmer. Your code sucks.

#46 Srehpog

Srehpog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

Update: v1.2 (09.01.2010)

Posted Image

New version:

Significant changes to level layout, checkpoint behaviour and general difficulty. The intro and first tutorial should both now be shorter and smoother, the ropes easier to use, and various other small refinements. Thanks to everyone who reported bugs and issues - they are taken notice of and fixed as soon as possible. See the change-log at HiVE for details:

Downloads: YoYoGames mirror | HiVE (with change-log in full)

New gameplay trailer:

On Youtube. Enjoy.

---

The game is very well done, nice and long and vast. It could be a whole nother experience if it was in color, have you ever tried basic coloring a screenshot to get an idea of what it would look like?

Thanks, glad you like it. Yeah, I coloured a couple of tilesets in and loaded the game with them, but it wasn't anywhere near as nice. The forst environment is mainly browns and greens which isn't a particularly interesting scheme. This is one case where greyscale is a real advantage.

Glitch reports...

Fixed them all, thanks. Good eyes.

And I'm not sure if it's because you use the freeze game when the window isn't selected or because you have joystick use on, but sometimes there's major strain put on your game because of bluesoleil which causes it to run at a few FPS with max cpu usage after I switch back and forth between windows sometimes.

This sounds like a very specific issue. It's a shame it affects your system, but I'm not sure what could be changed in the game to improve the problem - I've added the disabling joystick suggestion to the list though, so it might make it into the next update. Sorry to hear it's getting in the way of your enjoyment.

Uneventful intro
Swinging ropes
Lots of cake pieces were positioned in seemingly impossible to reach places.

All these are addressed in the latest version.

Combat consists of standing still and spamming the attack button.

The dark silent rainy atmosphere is excellent for a mysterious exploration game. But collecting cake? Sounds like you just gave up on a well-started concept and quickly 'finished it off'.

As with most games of this type, you unlock more abilities as you progress. Aside, it isn't really intended to be action-oriented in any way so 'combat' insofar as it exists wasn't one of our priorities at any time. I'm not sure what exactly about collecting cake makes you think it was a rushed decision - after all, it's as arbitrary as coins, stars, eggs, pendants etc. It was intended from the beginning, and there was certainly nothing 'quick' about 'finishing off' development.

#47 Razon

Razon

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

You might want to make sure that you didn't miss any glitch images in my last post, as I had updated it not long before you posted.

Here's some glitches that I came across while still using 1.1.

1: This happened after hopping on to one of those plant rockets on a certain spot on it, and then when it was about to leave the area the character hit a wall and fell off of it oddly like this - Link

2: There's probably not supposed to be ground here - Link

3: I noticed hints of color on a lot of images, to find and point out every one would be way too much trouble. I recommend that you just apply a grayscale to all of the images in the game, as that should completely solve it. Going to point a few out anyway - Link 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

On a side note people may not always want to save when they come across those save plants, and they'd have to maneuver over them each time if they don't want to. So you may just want to show some kind of text when players are by the plants that tell them that they can save, instead of automatically doing it for them.

Edited by Razon, 09 January 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#48 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:58 AM

Awesome game! I am, however, utterly stuck on the well. I dropped the boulder which lit up all those thingies allowing me to rise in the air with the umbrella. However, after exploring the well.. all I found were dead ends and a bunch of cake. Outside the well to the northeast I found another area with a boulder and a bell, but I cannot figure out how to drop it. I found a snowcovered area but lack what I'm guessing is a double jump. To the southeast somewhere I also found a dead end with a leaf covered bell and a dynamite barrel. After figuring out how to hit it with the barrel, there's nothing to do there, though, as I need three more hits and there's no more barrels o.O

Lastly, I found an area with a wheel that highlights at the bottom, but I have NO idea how to turn it. There's also one of those rocket plants, but it will not fire.

To clarify: I need help XD

Edited by greep, 15 January 2010 - 08:42 PM.

GMC_Jam_11_SmallBanner_zps69ed8fdf.png
Spoiler

#49 toto

toto

GMC Member

• 53 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:24 AM

Amazing, delightful game, Srehpog!

I especially liked the light effects - flames, save flowers, dying, wow! :P

I like the black & white aspect. It's perfect for this game.

I've been trying to figure out how to improve GM's typography. It looks like you've figured it out. I mean, the game is what - about 1000x800 or so, but even when enlarged, you have no blurriness on the text. Would you mind sharing, somewhere, how you did that?

Thanks again for this amazing game!

#50 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:48 AM

Was this seriously made with Game Maker? The graphics are amazing!

I can't get past this gate thingy near the beginning of the game. I hit it and all it does is wiggle a little. :|

qNDVrhl.png