#1 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:48 AM

Time Rift

Game Description: Time Rift is a platformer about the day the time-space continuum was damaged by the hand of your creator. As the only one of The Professor's robots who has not turned evil, you must travel through the time-damaged world to find parts to build a time machine. Once built, your time machine will allow you to travel back in time to prevent what has already happened.

GM Version: 7.0
Vista/7 Compatable: Yes
File Size: ~4MB Low Quality, ~12MB High Quality
File Type: Zip file. IMPORTANT: Unzip before use!
Changes screen resolution: No. Allows stretched fullscreen in options (not via F4)
Speed Issues: If you have integrated or older graphics cards, you may experience a drop in frame rate due to the use of blend modes and some other effects. You can change the quality settings in the options, which will reduce the background effect (which uses blend modes) and reduce the number of particles. The lowest setting disables these effects. Note the screen warping effect is not disabled, but you can use <enter> or <esc> to skip it.

Controls:
The controls are explained in game, but I will give a quick overview:

<left> & <right> Move left and right
<up> Jump
<space> create time vortex, to suck enemies into another time period, and out of your way

Hold <up> look up
Hold <down> look down
<r> restart level
<esc> end game, skip cutscenes
<enter> skip cutscenes

This game also has a speed-run type minigame, where you must complete the ninja levels in the quickest time possible. This is not unlocked until you have finished the final ninja level, level 21, and top times can be submitted to an online highscore board. A "Ninja Speed Run" button will appear at the bottom of the menu screen when you have unlocked it.

Just a tip, remember that you can stop and think about things at any moment. Use the odd time situation to help you.

Screen shots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

There is also a video, here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=64llfbbwiOI

Download Links:
This game can be downloaded from my new website (which is also hosting the high scores) Pointed.
However, since the website is on a free host, and seems to have random patches of down time, I'll also post download locations here:

There is now a high/low quality music choice. The low qualityversion has MIDI music. The high quality has OGG songs (though they aren't OOG versions of the MIDI songs, they are completely new).

High Quality: (~12MB)

Download from GameJolt
Download from Host-A

Low Quality: (~4MB)
Download from GameJolt
Download from Host-A
Instant Play at YoYo Games

-Dave

Edited by Dangerous_Dave, 09 December 2009 - 10:58 PM.

#2 AlexAR

AlexAR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 173 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

Funky game ya got here man. Definitely different. I like that you have a real solid story and you make a effort to keep it going. The gameplay itself is not the funnest thing ever, but still better than most platform/puzzle games round here.

#3 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:05 AM

Thanks for the praise ;).

I have uploaded an updated version, changing things that some people have commented on, and fixing a bug.

You can download it from the same links listed above. There is also a YoYo Games link. However, this one doesn't allow submission of scores for Ninja Speed Run (and it's the low quality version for quicker Instant Play).

YoYo Link: http://www.yoyogames...mes/show/102279

#4 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

Ok, so I played the game.

I think that the overall premise of them game is promising, and using 3d looking sprites is a nice approach (something I have done myself)
But the game play lacks a bit. First off the enemies bugged me the most. There AI seems to basically boil down to if you move they move, and sometimes they go the opposite direction. It was only till I got to level 3 or something when you get the gun that allows you to make traps for them that I realized it may be purposeful.

I got to about level 5, and then I ran into the red robot, and I gave up. It was confusing, there was no way to tell how to beat him, and the game generally didn't ease the player into it.

The interface was alright, no real menu, just a level selection screen with no music. I don't mind not having a full-on menu, but having no music is a weird introduction to the game for me.

Overall I think that you have some really interesting idea's for this game, but you need to understand that a game like this has a very large learning curve, and the key to keeping the player is to ease them into every new thing you bring into the game. You might be used to enemies and know all the ways to beat them in your game, but we have got no clue.

I think when an update is released I would really enjoy trying it again.

Current Project:   acujA7dP.png

A 2D Sandbox Adventure, currently in development.  Check out the WIP here.

#5 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:18 AM

Different items in the game are affected by the time problem in different ways. Some things, such as enemy movements, go back in time or forward in time depending on which way you walk. That's why the appear to go backwards sometimes, really their time is being reversed. Time also isn't universal. It acts on each object independently. On object may be heading forward in time while another heads back in time. This is caused by the time problems that were created when the time potion was spilt. Any suggestions of how to convey this better would be appreciated :(.

For many of the enemies, you don't need to "beat" them, you just need to avoid them. The goal is to get to the portal, you aren't required to beat any enemies, unless they are in your way. This is where the time situation plays a part. If you run at it at full speed, chances are you will end up dead. When you stop, bullets stop, and enemies stop. This allows you to leapfrog one enemy at a time when there are more than one, and stay out of danger. You can stand directly between two enemies and, providing you are stationary, you can stay there for as long as you like planning your next move.

You are probably right in that the learning curve may be a little steep. Would you suggest more levels on using the gun, or more levels on avoiding enemies, or more instructions?

Thanks for the feed back, much appreciated :D

#6 Osiris

Osiris

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:13 AM

Different items in the game are affected by the time problem in different ways. Some things, such as enemy movements, go back in time or forward in time depending on which way you walk. That's why the appear to go backwards sometimes, really their time is being reversed. Time also isn't universal. It acts on each object independently. On object may be heading forward in time while another heads back in time. This is caused by the time problems that were created when the time potion was spilt. Any suggestions of how to convey this better would be appreciated smile.gif.

For many of the enemies, you don't need to "beat" them, you just need to avoid them. The goal is to get to the portal, you aren't required to beat any enemies, unless they are in your way. This is where the time situation plays a part. If you run at it at full speed, chances are you will end up dead. When you stop, bullets stop, and enemies stop. This allows you to leapfrog one enemy at a time when there are more than one, and stay out of danger. You can stand directly between two enemies and, providing you are stationary, you can stay there for as long as you like planning your next move.

Basically everything you just said you should tell the player in your game. I would suggest making a ton more beginning levels, each one teaching you either a specific item or enemies importance, or about how the time shift works. I was extremely confused at why certain things worked the way they did and it just came off to me as awkward coding.

perhaps you can also make it more obvious the the player that time is slowing down. like when the player stops moving the screen goes a little gray (such as in Prince of Persia or Blinx time sweeper) and then a little "WOOOooooo..." sound. than when the player moves the screen goes back to color followed by a "...wooooOOOOOP!"'

But really, other than that I like the game, and I think it has a lot of great qualities that people just aren't getting yet.

(plug in 3...2...1...)
You should also check out my WIP game GravMonkey. You happen to be in the credits dave for helping me with a bit of programming on it (whether you knew it or not)

GravMonkey WIP topic

Current Project:   acujA7dP.png

A 2D Sandbox Adventure, currently in development.  Check out the WIP here.

#7 snowyowl

snowyowl

GMC Member

• 615 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:14 AM

Is this the right time to mention that Will Host For Food no longer exists? Go to their old homepage; they have a bit more information there.
Posted Image
Fight time travellers. Kill them three times each.

#8 snowyowl

snowyowl

GMC Member

• 615 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:45 AM

Whoops, due to disturbances in the space-time continuum the comment I made after this one about the lack of screenshots was flung half an hour into the past to a point before I actually played the game :whistle:

Anyway, awesome game, though I had to read these comments to find out the mechanics of time travel, and I'm still stuck on level 12 (I'll run 10 meters to the right and ask my future self how he did it). Anim8or graphics ROCK! Woo!

Least, I think they're anim8or.
Posted Image

#9 snowyowl

snowyowl

GMC Member

• 615 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:34 AM

My past self seems to be annoyed at not passing level 12. Huh.
I would do more time-distortion stuff to get past level 20, but I'm trying not to destroy the space-time continuum again.
Posted Image

#10 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

there's too much reading. the professor doesn't need to tell me how to do every little thing, like use a time portal gun. not a really fun game.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#11 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:16 AM

there's too much reading. the professor doesn't need to tell me how to do every little thing, like use a time portal gun. not a really fun game.

All that reading was added in because of people with the opposite opinion of yours. People have been struggling to get past the first few levels. How am I supposed to help people understand how the game works, while adding to and building on the story line, all whilst cutting down the amount of reading? It's a serious question, and I'd love an answer.

#12 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:28 AM

So I finally got around to playing the finished version. I had already downloaded it some week(s) ago, but hadn't tried it, so I downloaded it again, (because you said you fixed something) sat down, and played it straight.

Finished it in under 1 1/2 hours :D [check the ninja speed run, dude! :D]

The game somehow feels easier.. I dunno what it is. It must have been the literal hours I spent in frustrations, on some of the levels I was playing in the beta ;)

slayers kinda right... the text is over done in the first 9 levels. Or at least, by level 6-7, I was like, ok, enough now! Let me play! After level 9, it's ok(just the odd text box)... kinda funny to! [A giant spring.. an essential part in any time machine... lol! ]

I think it's that the text boxes are a bit bland.. maybe, do it RPG style, with a little character portrait, or whatever. The text does get a bit annoying by levels 6-9. [Bear in mind, I've already played the game quite a bit, when there was no text, so I already know how to play.. so I guess the text is good for a beginner]. But after those levels, I think it's ok.

Slayers also right about the 'fun factor'... the game isn't 'fun'(in the tradition sense, or whatever). But I like it, kinda like the way I like puzzles/sokaban type games. It's immensely frustrating, but very satisfying when you 'nail' the level. And this game is really unique that way, great job on bringing us something 'new'. :D

Oh, and good luck beating my ninja speed run! :lol:

Edited by Desert Dog, 03 December 2009 - 04:30 AM.

HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#13 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for the comments, I'll look into cutting some of the dialog. I still need a plan on how to help the people who have no idea what to do.

Oh, and good luck beating my ninja speed run! <_<

Wow. That's amazing! I'm going to have to try to beat you, I can't be beaten by someone else when I made the game!

#14 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9450 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

I have uploaded a new version with less dialog. Please tell me what you think :D

High Quality: (~12MB)

Download from GameJolt
Download from Host-A

Low Quality: (~4MB)
Download from GameJolt
Download from Host-A