• Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:46 AM

• Title: Master Editor 2
  • GM Version: 7
  • File Type: gmk exe
  • File Size: 3.5MB
  • File Link: master editor 2
Description

Master editor 2 is a 3d model creator. it's still a work in progress but i thought someone would still like to see it. features: saving and loading in game maker format, uv mapper, color alpha mapper, vertex lighting normals are calculated, rotating, scaling, and translating points. ASDWQE and right click moves the camera. drop in a new triangle, click the edge of it to create more triangles. hold B to copy selected triangles. hold ZXY to move selected points around. draw a rectangle on the screen to select more points. look at the help for explanations on all the features. windows can be moved, hidden, or resized. the texture in the uv mapping window can be moved and scaled. there is an auto map function which lays the texture seen in the uv window onto the selected triangles. uses d3d_model_load_ext and mosaic light obj importer, so you can load anything they can.

Screenies

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Edited by slayer 64, 30 April 2012 - 01:51 AM.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#2 dadio

dadio

I miss my cupcake

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2209 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:56 AM

Looks good, but without an easy to use interface, will not be used/tried by many.

Hope to see an interface & this turn into a full fledged quality 3D level editor in the future:
could be really really popular if all the tools & base camera & movement code are included.

Keep up the great work! :(

261p5sp.jpg

#3 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:59 AM

nice job, it's a big step!
one thing I'd much prefer, is having zxc change zxy, so they actually make sense to me.
uv mapping was easy once I realized there were flashing dots.
now it just needs an interface!

good luck!

poof_sig.png

#4 freko

freko

The Professional

• GMC Member
  • 504 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:15 PM

Amazing this will help me a lot.
I'm going to convert this to U3d later.

#5 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4215 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:13 PM

i updated the editor.
the windows work better and there is a window with all the buttons in it so you don't have to memorize anything, just click the buttons.

ZXC keys can move points in the ZXY plane. ZXY keys also work.

Edited by slayer 64, 31 October 2009 - 08:16 PM.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#6 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16802 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

Looks like it's using d3d model. But it failed to load my tank...

1) can you give it the extention .d3d
2) can you support both 9 and 8 models vertices because there is little diff between the two. 8 is not color/apha mapped while 9 is. GM dont care fore the alpha or color values at the end of the line so you can save with 8 without doing any changes to your code, as an option. 9 models cannot be transparent of have color blending in game.

How do you rotate the camera? I only figured out panning, zooming and up down.

#7 frankpiet

frankpiet

^destroyed evil chicken^

• 760 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:34 PM

Had a play around with it.
Pros: simple, good uvmapping(nearly better than uvmapper!)
Cons: the WORST camera interface I have ever used, Screen can get cluttered, flickers on uvs too fast

Suggestions:
start points on the uv map/colour map with some sort of structure
wasdqe=forward/back/left/right/up/down and scroll for zoom
Make it so you have to load the texture rather than choose(i know you can put your own in)
label x/y/z axis(lol)
menubar at top
more smaller toolbars
Picture icons with hints after hover

still needs work but good

Edit: vadim remineded me - undo/redo

Edit 2: Been editing around with the gmk...
Made the camera how I like it(google earth style lol)
Spread the commands around from one toolbar into like 4 (you made a very simple base)
Made all the keyboard shortcuts into scripts
some other little things
If you want to see it just ask

Edited by frankpiet, 09 November 2009 - 06:54 AM.

Posted Image

#8 vadim647

vadim647

Quite Epic

• 840 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

Looks interesting...

also, you should mention that fastest model building is dragging a edge of triangle (makes a new triangle, connected with edge owner). It is not listed in help file, but exists. i don't fully get it, what are the conditions for creating a point this way.
also (2), how to do the terrain thing, as in screenshot in first post?
also (3), put the deletion key (V) somewhere away on keyboard, because I've just lost a try on that car w/ wheels because of small keypress miss :) | edit: backspace, for sample.

Edited by vadim647, 07 January 2010 - 12:18 PM.

We'll meet again, if you will find me.

#9 antome

antome

GMC Member

• 305 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:38 AM

It'd be great if you could save models as a game maker script :)

Maybe a future feature?

#10 vadim647

vadim647

Quite Epic

• 840 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:35 AM

It'd be great if you could save models as a game maker script :)

Maybe a future feature?

it already does.
Edit: I've modified the gmk a bit to make it more comfortable for myself. Now I may say that making 3d menu backgrounds for gm games can be quite fast (pic)). While editing it looks like (pic).
Also, edited your "suv" model, fixed it's shape and texture mapping a bit :)
Posted Image
Edit2: another try no making scene: (pic)

Edited by vadim647, 09 November 2009 - 05:08 PM.

#11 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4215 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

update.
changes:
easier interface
ability to select by dragging a rectangle.
create wall around selected triangles edges function.
create box function.
textures aren't loaded automatically, you have to load in the texture you want.
there are 2 texture modes. 0 treats each triangle individually. 1 gives every selected triangle the same 3 uv coordinates, good for terrain.
V doesn't delete anymore, delete does.

nice models vadim647. conditions for creating triangles on edges: must be an open edge, no other triangles connected between the 2 points.

icuurd12b42, im not sure what your talking about. model 9 vertexes can have a transparent texture.

Edited by slayer 64, 10 November 2009 - 03:19 AM.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#12 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16802 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:07 AM

icuurd12b42, im not sure what your talking about. model 9 vertexes can have a transparent texture.

But you cannot change the blend color or alpha in game...

//has no effect
draw_set_color(c_red)
//has no effect
draw_set_alpha(.2)
//drae
d3d_model_draw(....)

When I save in GMMF, I issue a warning about that. Just in case people want to do color or alpha effect.

In any case, it would be nice to load type 8 and type 9. I have a tank model, type 8, is it the reason it wond load or is it because it has a .d3d extention?

GM ignoring the color and alpha values (when type 8) in the file means you can save as type 8 withough loosing the color. Reload it later and save as type 9.

#13 frankpiet

frankpiet

^destroyed evil chicken^

• 760 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

Ok I must say the latest update makes it much better!

In the aim of total perfection
- Scroll wheel and ws do the same thing. restrict ws to xy only
- change right mouse button to middle button
- use left as single select and right to add on/delete selection
- ctrl - a for select all (which means mouseclick nowhere for deselect)
- choose edge, face or point mode
- view menu drop for eg settiing uv as visible/invisible
Posted Image

#14 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4215 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:22 PM

small update:
Ctrl+A selects all
Windows can be shown or hidden completely.
can save models as type 9 (vertex_normal_texture_color) or type 8 (vertex_normal_texture)
can load models of type 9 or 8. must be created with pr_trianglelist.

frankpiet, some of those features aren't really important. some of them seem to be your preferences, so i didn't add them.

icuurd12b42, you should be able to load type 8 primitives, they have to be made using pr_trianglelist, which means every 3 lines makes 1 triangle. if you still can't load your tank, please post the model code so i can see what's going on.

vadim647, to do the texture splatting like in the terrain screen shot, you have to create some triangles that are completely normal, copy them, set the copies alpha of one side to 0, re-map the texture, then connect the points by holding shift. when you connect them you can't click the edges anymore because they are no longer open ecdges so you have to do some planning ahead or something. open the terrain model, you should see some triangles before they were connected.

EDIT:
loading problem is fixed. models can be loaded from type 9 (vertex_normal_texture_color) or type 8 (vertex_normal_texture), they must have been made using pr_trianglelist

Edited by slayer 64, 11 November 2009 - 02:27 AM.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#15 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16802 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:08 AM

Right there you go...
Download tank.d3d

#16 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4215 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:22 AM

woops, posted sooner than 24 hours.

Edited by slayer 64, 11 November 2009 - 02:28 AM.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#17 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16802 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

Looks like someone forgot to check the 1000 vertices sequencial limit...

#18 vadim647

vadim647

Quite Epic

• 840 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

Here's my small edit:
Posted Image
Looks like this (not many changes ^^): [pic]
Additions: actions keys [8] [9] [0]; you can snap the verticles on CA\UV map by holding [End] key; tried changing window\menu's a tiny bit; you can toggle 2x uvmap zoom.

#19 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4215 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

Is there a limit to how many triangles can be in a model exported by Master Editor? When I edit the map from your Project K engine with more platforms and stuff and then resave is as the original map and try to run Project K, my changes aren't seen and some faces from the original map are even missing O_o

master editor ends and re starts the primitive at 903 vertexes. i'm not sure which is to blame, master editor or project K. i made a model with ~2000 triangles and project K loading everything. could you post the model you made?

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#20 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4215 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

update:
made code more efficient so there's less lag on those 500+ triangle models
hiding the color alpha window when your not using it can speed things up.
added create cone, cylinder, and ellipsoid functions.
can show or hide triangles
outlines are drawn on top of everything so you can see them better

robert3dg, you'll have to send me the model if that happens again, i can't re-create that problem.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#21 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:37 AM

I wish this thing had an interface and easier controls...it's so hard to build anything!

poof_sig.png

#22 PlasticineGuy

PlasticineGuy

GMC Member

• 2384 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:02 PM

Why? The extension for Direct3D models is .x. Don't believe me? Go install the DirectX SDK, make a file with the extension .x and double-click on it.

If I'm not mistaken Slayer 64 built this for his own uses.

Edited by PlasticineGuy, 11 December 2009 - 01:03 PM.

#23 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 16802 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

Why? The extension for Direct3D models is .x. Don't believe me? Go install the DirectX SDK, make a file with the extension .x and double-click on it.

If I'm not mistaken Slayer 64 built this for his own uses.

The files <when I wrote the post> are GM models, not direct3d. .mod and .d3d is usually the ententions we use. GM models are not direct x models... Believe me I know what I am saying.

#24 Endorel

Endorel

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:07 AM

I made a model creator one time which was completely dependant on the input of numbers. There was no way to "click and move a vertex". But atleast it was better than making models using pure GML. I think that the appropriate combination of this and my old model editor would come to be a fine tool.

#25 mrcool1997

mrcool1997

GMC Member

• 104 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hi slayer...I know you and i am a big fan of mega block 2...But it seems you made more than a 3d game...You made master editor.

#26 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4215 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

update:
added more uv mapping features. move and scale the texture in the texture window. auto map, which takes what is seen in the uv window and lays it onto the selected triangles. windows can be resized. uses d3d_model_load_ext and mosaic light importer, so you should be able to load just about anything they can.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#27 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4127 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hey,
You might also want to look at uv map point coordinate precision, when saving, since now it's about 0.01, which takes away some precision in modelling.
_.gifnDCITkv.png

#28 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1890 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:27 AM

this is awesome slayer64 :D
..once i figure out how to use it properly.. it'll be even better!

my 3D noob review (being new to 3D)
it took about 5 mins to get the basics.. how it applies the textures is awesome! that will save so much time with making models :D

making a wall should be easier.. i tried making a triangle and turning it into a wall (following intructions?) but was then lost in a new sea of polygons! all i want to do is add one extra point opposite the diag corner (triangle now makes square!?)

if i have to click a certain point of the triangle that should be indicated.. it'll take me all day to figure this out now because i'm stupid. rah rah rah :)

also umm.. how do i make the wall, click the 4 corners and apply the texture? (i can set the area on the UV map but i can't get to make a darn wall/square)

oh yeah.. top proggy.. it got a place on my desktop in 5 minutes.. you should be virtually drunk on your own sense of power now you miscreant.

[EDIT]
umm.. what kind of crack is this UV mapper on? it's so freakin' hard to get it working.. it needs a precision alignment tool (hold a key and decrease mouse x,y,z change) also.. i move the triangles around and STILL CAN'T get the texture to coordinate properly? obviously 2 points of the triangle are the bottom and the 1 point is the 'top' (which seems to change its damn angle)

also.. making a new 'box' or whatever drops it at a pre-set x,y,z.. when i double click one of its points (to select it for moving) it now selects the object that was already in the same space.. (ok fine) so i move my object THEN make the box.. ok, finished (3 hours later after going crazy trying to figure out UV mapper, model is done..) ok, now my darn model seems to have screwed up its origin.. now i have to get GMmodelfix to fix that.. :medieval:

this model design tool is good (thanks for releasing it and stuff) ..i'll keep at it for a while, and i'm sure i will continue to yell at it for days to come, but it's got too many sharp edges and a lot of the time it's just aggrovating me to the point where i'm too frustrated to continue working.. there's no other way for me to develop my 3D work unless i hard-code all the models myself (which will be just as frustrating) i can't mod your 3d tool because lateral GM ****s itself and won't do it properly.. don't mind me.. just venting :lol:

Edited by sub, 15 March 2010 - 12:33 AM.

#29 Grak

Grak

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

That ball example game you posted that was created with this was really well made! I gotta try this out...
"A wise man washes his hands after he pees. A wiser man doesn't pee on his hands."

#30 Lotias

Lotias

The Tree

• GMC Member
  • 1273 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

This is a very useful tool :lol:
It would be nice if there were a way to create a point anywhere on a selected triangle, if making a new triangle on the edge of another triangle worked when there is a triangle behind it, and if the controls were customizable.

LogoStandaloneUncropped.png

in development - http://skygategame.tumblr.com

donate to the fundraiser if you're feeling generous

I'm also available for hire - I do sound effects and draw maps

#31 Agamer

Agamer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

This is cool, but it's a bit hard to use and there are a lot of bugs (e.g. resize the top of a window and drag above the top of the screen, and the window will keep stretching; the points and triangles on the uv window and color/alpha window keep flashing; the texture randomly messes up when the coordinates are moved). Holding down keys is a drag when trying to move points quickly and efficiently. (excuse the pun)

I made my own model designer (the digitizer; refer to my signature); it shows only two origins at a time (a 2d perspective), but it's relatively easy to build models with once you get the hang of it (and once you understand where all the tools are! :-\ It's a little disorganized; but it's still helpful).

Edited by Agamer, 18 November 2011 - 04:52 PM.

Package designer; resource maker; engine builder; program tool creator -- Be fully prepared to game:

My scripts My images My model designer My GUI components One of my engines Accepting texture requests

#32 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4215 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

i updated the files

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#33 mn_beta

mn_beta

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 81 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:02 AM

I am using Master editor as a platform for my bone editing and "paper" concept. Hopefully I can post an example soon. I also found out what happens when you rewrite a gex in a .dll =(

#34 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1276 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

This is epic!!!
cooltext680386545.png
"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

#35 RevenantGhost

RevenantGhost