• 124 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

Dash
An Linear-Exploration Hybrid Platformer
One can only wish...

Posted Image

Download: Dash.zip (8.79 MB)
Made with Game Maker 7.0, SFXR, and Anvil Studio
Will run on Vista (Recommended High Amounts of RAM and relatively fast CPU and processor)
Made for Indie Game Challenge 2009

Screenshots: 1 2 3 4 5

In Dash, you are an average person - at least, until the meteor hits. Now you are thrust into a strange world that seems oddly familiar...

Explore a large world filled with collectibles and danger as you try to unravel the plot you are forced into. Discover the secrets of this world and your way out may become clearer.

We hope you have fun playing this game. By "We" I mean me and my friend, who shares the same first name. We collaborated on this game for a few months.

Inspiration mainly comes from Matt Thorson, for AUS and FLaiL.

Edited by White Mist Games, 28 November 2009 - 11:58 PM.

Dash, a Unique Linear/Exploration Hybrid Platformer
Links to Dash: Yoyogames GMC

Made for the Indie Game Challenge

Last Update: v1.0 October 28, 2009

#2 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:23 PM

Wow! Not bad at all! B) I can see you're quite experienced at game making :GM028:

Good graphics, nice sound and fun too! Almost professional quality.

Edited by Player_2, 31 October 2009 - 03:40 PM.

2a7ubuv.jpg

#3 AlexAR

AlexAR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 173 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

That's one heck of a game ya got there man. Huge world, lots of stuff to collect and solid gameplay. Some rooms feel a little empty and boring looking, but I guess its just the style of your game. Granted I didn't complete the entire game, but it seems like all you can do is Dash and jump. That's good, but I don't know, maybe more abilities would have been nice, just to mix up the gameplay a little bit. Climbing, projectile attack of some sort, or some temporary power-up, just anything to add more variety would have been nice.

Still , better than 90% of the games released round here. Great job.

#4 White Mist Games

White Mist Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for the comments! We were a little time-pressured toward the end, as it needed to be finished by the end of October (and we only started in August). That explains some of the more boring rooms, and we'll spread more enemies and coin targets around in these rooms. Any places in particular you feel need many more things put into?

As far as the lack of abilities goes, how far did you get? There are a bunch of abilities you can collect throughout, including a wall jump, a flying dash, a drawing dash, and a "super" dash. Adding abilities that don't extend off of the dash mechanic would somehow just feel unfitting to the game, in my opinion.

I encourage all who have downloaded this game to comment! We (my friend and I) would love the feedback, negative or positive!

#5 White Mist Games

White Mist Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:27 AM

We're making a version 1.1, correcting a series of bugs and other errors. These include;

- Fixing various spelling mistakes
- Adding a place to retrieve health upgrades gained from apples if you don't pick them up
- Fixing the bug with the records occasionally not working after winning the game
- Fixing a physics bug involving continually spinning when diving into corners
- Adding a few more enemies to the overworld
- Fixing the bug with the leaping enemies falling on you with damage

We'd like to know what else all of you would like to be added or fixed. Please, respond with your comments, complaints, suggestions. We would really appreciate the feedback.

#6 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:09 AM

Matt Thorson is a great source of inspiration.
AUS was the greatest, and this looks very similar. I'm definitely giving this game a try.

#7 Alexw.

Alexw.

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 14 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

I can see the AUS inspiration in this game. I am really enjoying it, and it has a fairly well defined difficulty curve.

Does anyone have some hints on how to solve the boss in the water? He looks like the fish that live really deep, and that have their own light source hanging from his head? I have been stuck on him for a while and have run out of ideas. Thanks in advance B-)

-Alexw.

#8 White Mist Games

White Mist Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

@Alexw
Yeah, I've gotten some complaints/suggestions involving the Angler boss fight. He's a bit too difficult to fight right now, but in the update that should be out eventually, he's been toned down a bit.

To fight him now, though, use the statue that's on the floating platform. To get there, there is a point right on the edge of the leftmost platform where the air cannons cannot hit you. Stand there and use the statue when the walls fade. I know it's a poorly designed boss, but the rest of the game is better. No more Angler boss moments that I can think of.

-----------

Some progress has been made on the update. Five new areas are being planned for the new version: the Floating Isles (a series of short, one-room platforming challenges accessed by various portals strewn throughout the world), Tomb of Trials (a series of multi-room, combat or survival-heavy challenges, usually ending in a boss), Ruins in the Sky (a giant floating island with a new ability), the Lower Village (a hidden string of rooms beneath the Village), and Grave Island (another floating island with a heavy emphasis on spirits and a new ability). Programming has reached an unfortunate slowdown, as the old clunky custom-built system is being replaced with the default Game Maker variables and movement instead. Two new abilities already work as planned, though, and a small inventory exists within the rebuilt pause menu. Plenty of little sidequests will be implemented, as well as a minigame or two.

Unfortunately, the new version does not work with old save files, though I might build a simple converter for old saves to new saves.

I hope all who play this game enjoy it and leave some sort of comment. Any feedback is welcome!

#9 skunkchop

skunkchop

GMC Member

• 381 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

The game is really good. I'm glad you showed it on MattMakesGames.

#10 Xout

Xout

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:58 AM

It was pretty good. Graphics are nice and game is fun. What you could work on is background music which started to iritate me pretty soon. And one more thing, it would be nice and easier to get around if you could make bigger rooms instead of moving through many small ones...
Overall 4/5...